Cross eye dominance

New shooter here Jow Forums, picked up my first bolt action but i'm left eye dominant despite being right handed.
How should I shoot rifle?
Should I just close my left eye and shoot right-handed, or learn to shoot off my left shoulder?

If it makes any difference I learned to shoot archery lefty since that requires both eyes open

Attached: Eye dominance.jpg (1477x794, 533K)

Holy shit me too. I am not sure how to shoot my .308 to be honest. Should I get a left handed rifle?

I'm left-handed but right eyed. Shit's a bitch. You'll have to shoot from the left shoulder with rifles, but with handguns you can use your right hand.

just have your left eye removed then you will become right eye dominant

Just shoot left handed. It's not hard.

I do this test but I keep getting different results. Am I equally dominant in both eyes or what?

dont do the thing in the picture it makes mustard gas

H-how tryhard will I look if I get one of pic related Jow Forums

Attached: dominant-eye-cover.jpg (470x470, 13K)

>picked up my first bolt action but i'm left eye dominant despite being right handed.

I'm left eye dominant and right handed too. I shoot rifles and shotguns left handed and pistols and revolvers right handed.
For pistols and revolvers, you simply need to adjust your stance a slight bit.
For long arms, it's a bit harder, but shooting left handed has benefits for AK pattern rifles and weapons like it. Also, the fact that you're right handed means that your support hand will be more stable. So that's a nice bonus.
Especially when shooting scoped rifles, I find it a lot easier to use my left eye, since it causes significantly less stress & fatigue over longer shooting sessions.

The fact you already bought a bolt gun might not really be optimal, since in your case, I'd advise to buy a left handed bolt gun. Since you don't mention it, I presume you bought a right handed rifle.

It's not too hard to force your brain to prefer your non-dominant eye for things like optics. I'm not sure if your bolt action has irons or not, but if it does you can look down them, close your dominant eye, reopen it and try to keep the sight picture from your non-dominant eye. It will keep going back to your dominant-eye sight picture for a while, but keep trying to force your brain to pick up the other one, eventually it will just do it instantly by default and you won't even see the other sight picture for it. I did this for rifles since I was cross eye domnant and wanted to do both eyes open shooting, but for a bolt action with a high powered optic you're going to want to close one eye anyway. Still it's useful for later on down the road with other things so you might as well try to do it now if you think you'd like to.

Just wear an eyepatch on your left eye around your house for a while, you'll eventually become right eye dominant

>Since you don't mention it, I presume you bought a right handed rifle.
Yep, alright bought a righty rifle. But it's 22lr so operating the bolt lefty isn't too hard

Rip, guess i'll just have to learn to shoot opposite, or learn to shoot ambidextrous but use when I shoot righty

Same, I shoot long guns left handed, which actually works well for guns with retarded designs, like the AK. Then handguns right handed with a gay head tilt.

>which actually works well for guns with retarded designs, like the AK.

Well, Sig 55X series rifles lend themselves to it very well. And that's not due to retarded design. :)

Probably should have bought a lefty bolt. I've been looking a while now for a lefty action that doesn't suck for my aftermarket tastes. But there's plenty of lefty bolt guns out there and they're typically $100-$200 cheaper than their right action counterparts.

As for what eye you should use, it's shooters preference. You should ideally use your dominate eye, but you can train yourself to use your non-dominate eye without closing your dominate eye. Even though it's not as fast, you can work the bolt with your right hand shooting lefty.

Attached: 4C23C10E3F87D364B1B38C18E5821FC7F8FE7CC6.jpg (1000x222, 58K)

I am also right-handed and left eye dominant. I have shot long guns left-handed since the very beginning, it always felt more natural. Just go with whatever is more comfortable.

Attached: NHyVVY6.gif (400x203, 1.94M)

Cross-dominance is just a boogeyman used as an excuse by bad instructors or poor shooters.

Either close and eye and train your other eye to be dominant
Or
Switch from shooting left handed to right handed.

>Cross-dominance is just a boogeyman used as an excuse by bad instructors or poor shooters

Attached: 1509737856631.jpg (244x207, 10K)

this.
also makes you ambi with pistols.

but yeah. bolt actions make me look like a retard.

Are you deliberately being retarded?

Do you shoot lefty or righty rifles? (like in gif related, manipulate RH bolt using LH)

>Do you shoot lefty or righty rifles?
Right-handed rifles.

Right handed, left eye dominant.

I shoot mostly with a red dot and both eyes open.

If longer distance, I squint my left eye.

Easy day.

Pretty much this for me. The only real problem is that a lot of people have worse vision in their non-dominant eye. I used too have it pretty bad until I had PRK done. If your right eye is really bad then it's probably worth learning to shoot left handed. If your eye is pretty good, then just learn to control your eyes.