Pellets vs bullets

So my understanding is that having weight forward on a projectile, with less weight and more drag on rear is best for smooth straight consist shooting. Pellets, arrows, etc. But why do bullets not have a hollow skirt in rear, with most of the weight up front?

Attached: pellets-rifling-web.jpg (360x247, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nielsenspecialtyammo.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Boat tail save for straight wall bullets that prioritize grain over distance.

well one is intended to kill and the other is only for shooting eyes out so you tell me

something to do with one being fired through a rifled barrel and subsonic aerodynamics and supersonic aerodynamics are two different things.

I wonder how those Franklin Nerf or nothing bullets would perform out of a conventionally rifled barrel.

OP is on to something. Tank projectiles and supersonic rocket warheads, and ICBM's all have a tail or taper design for drag in rear, weight up front for stability.

I don't know man

Attached: apfsds.jpg (547x316, 31K)

Like this? Because we aren't shooting bullets with compressed air.

Attached: 690720982.jpg (205x202, 15K)

>we aren't shooting bullets with compressed air
Dunno what you imagine burning gunpowder does, then.

All of those are fin stabilised, bullets are usually spin stabilised

It turns freedom powder into the winds of liberty and launches freedom seeds into communists. You would know that if you weren't a filthy communist that used chink guns made with baby girl bone powder instead of freedom powder.

Tenth post best post

>But why do bullets not have a hollow skirt in rear, with most of the weight up front?

They don't need it. They are spin-stabilized instead.

This post is so American that I instantly got a bald eagle over American flag tattoo and a denim jacket just by reading it.

this. There are two ways to stabilize a projectile:
1) spin. Like a modern bullet.

2) having the center of mass forward of the center of drag. I.e. airgun pellets, shuttlecocks, foster slugs, arrows, rockets, APFSDS rounds, crossbow bolts, etc.

Reading this post from a McDonald's wifi
Murica

Attached: article-1203173-05E37A99000005DC-915_306x423.jpg (306x423, 39K)

but most air rifles and pistols have rifling too.

Yes, they do. That doesn't change the two facts I quoted, however.

A projectile with a center of mass forward of the center of drag does not require rifling to make it fly stable, though rifling is always better than no rifling.

>A projectile with a center of mass forward of the center of drag does not require rifling to make it fly stable, though rifling is always better than no rifling.
So you'd think they'd use both for firearm bullets too, at least when high accuracy was a major concern.

Not that user but:
Airgun pellets were originally designed when a lot of the small-bore airguns were smoothbore. Now days many are rifles, but through shear historical momentum the diabolo (wasp-waist) design remains. The diabolo design isn't ideal for supersonic flight and can tumble when going from supersonic to sub sonic.

Most modern tank guns use a smooth bore, mainly to improve barrel life and open up more munition's options. Since modern AP LRP arent spin stabilized (and they aren't even in rifled tank guns, the spin can cause the rod to shatter early when it hits a target) they need to be fin stabilized.

It's not necessary for modern firearms. The muzzle velocity is high enough to impart a very strong spin which is more than good enough for stabilization.

At modern rifle velocities the ballistic coefficient is far more important for stability, and that is fucked by the diabolo shape. (hence why long-range target and sniper ammo uses boat-tail designs)

The center-of-mass in front of the center of drag design is still used for shotgun slugs though.

Very true.

The skirt is thereto catch all the air pressure possible, and grip the rifling yet have the least friction possible at the same time as it goes through the barrel. The bottom of the skirt is the ONLY part of the pellet that really touches the barrel as it passes through.
If pellets gripped the barrel as hard as regular bullets with powder continuing to push them up to a longer barrel length than they usually have, the pellets would have a lot lower muzzle velocities from the friction. Maybe even get stuck in a weaker gun.

A projectile moving faster than the speed of sound interacts with the air far differently than anything moving below that speed. Accelerate a metal arrow/bolt to supersonic speeds and it'll flip around through the air as if you had fired a twig.

That’s why I use pellet weights that bring both of my guns to 900 feet per second even though they’re 1000 and 1300fps guns.

Yeah, but it's like 1 turn in 20+ inches. It doesn't add much stability. It's so that if the pellet is slightly deformed, it spirals instead of veering off in one direction.

it would squib

Tank guns are smoothbore because they wanted a long, high sectional density projectile. The longer the projectile, the higher the spin rate required to stabilize it. APDS got so long that spin stabilization became totally impractical, so they added fins.

Higher BC bullets are usually longer and therefore less stable, requiring a faster twist rate to stabilize.

okay, now this is epic

Due to the way fluid dynamics work, at practical rifle ranges a bullet that's closer to the shape of a cigar with a weight-centric design will be more accurate.

It also allows for considerably more mass for any given length, higher ballistic coefficient by orders of magnitude, and provides room for non-vestigial soft or hollow point designs.

It's been tried, but didn't catch on for some reason.

Attached: 1618445-spiw.jpg (512x365, 22K)

fuck pellets my dude. this guy sells airgun ammo that kicks the living shit out of every pellet i've ever shot and in the same grain ranges.. pricey but worth it if you are serious about accuracy or hunting extra long ranges
nielsenspecialtyammo.com/

Surface area is draggy on air. The skirt gives unnecessary surface area compared to an equivalent solid bullet that gets stabilized fine by rifling anyways

Samefaggin motherfucker.
You got btfo brainlet, its ok, accept it.
Just stop samefaggin.

Attached: 1499562569399.jpg (328x264, 9K)