First precision rifle recommendations

Shill me on your favorite precision rifle and scope for my next purchase.
>I need something thats relatively cheap but a good starter sniper rifle.

Also is the Ruger precision any good? I have seen a lot of good reviews but Idk if I can trust sponsored reviewers.

Attached: 717589b7ba0f2dd5b5357d842ebfde81.jpg (640x640, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mdttac.com/products/lss-chassis-system?variant=42964274182
xlrindustries.com/pages/chassis-systems
brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/rifle-stocks/rem-700-bravo-s-a-chassis-prod113643.aspx
twitter.com/AnonBabble

well, what do you want it for.
Shooting Range
Hunting
SHTF Larping?

Range. I want to get into precision shooting

There are tons of great cheap bolt actions out there right now, user. Figure out your desired range to pick a caliber and remember that a quality scope will be at least as much as the rifle.

Savage 10 in 6.5CM with a SWFA 10x in mils, PRIME factory match ammo, JBM ballistics, and a calculator for interpolating.

Ruger is hands down the best trainer out of the box. Its a perfect way to get into precision shooting.

Savage 12FV when/if cuck-pro shop/cabelas does a sale with the savage rebate and a SWFA SS in your choice of magnification or a primary arms 4-14...

Attached: 20180210_123109.jpg (2048x1152, 724K)

Ultimately I want something like a Savage 10 or non shit Rem 700 in .308 with a nice chassis.
With that said, I know shit about precision long range shooting and figure getting a .22 to learn on is the better short term option since $.04/round vs learning on $1/round. Any recommendations for bolt action .22 that will teach me the same type of muscle memory as the previous mentioned two rifles, preferably as cheap as possible?

Before anything else, id recommend getting into reloading first. Part of precision shooting is developing a load for your specific rifle, eventually theres just no way around it.

I plan on getting a .22 and learning with that before I purchase anything in .308 or whatever caliber I decide on. Is there any point to reloading .22 or getting into reloading before that purchase?

>I plan on getting a .22 and learning with that before I purchase anything in .308 or whatever caliber I decide on.
Good strategy

>Is there any point to reloading .22 or getting into reloading before that purchase?
Not really. Jow Forums is sort of hyper-militant about reloading, but it's in no way a necessary requirement for precision shooting (or any kind of shooting for that matter). 30 years it might have been a different story, but you can buy match grade ammo easily in whatever caliber you want. Reloading is a fun indoor hobby however and can lower your CPR a fair bit in certain calibers.

Attached: 04087_riomaggioreatsunset_1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 1.43M)

Tikka and Vortex
kthxbye

I have RPRs in .223 and .308

As said, it is a great start out of the box and will let you see how precision you want to go without droping $5k

Attached: Cleanup.jpg (4032x2268, 2.45M)

>precision shooting
>$1100 factory gun
>$400-800 scope
>Parallax focus at 75 yards

This ladies and gentleman is the average "long range precision shooter"

not op but i want a cheap rifle for all 3 of those. i am looking at the ruger american predator, does anyone have one of these? if so how heavy is the barrel? i'm looking for something with like a heavy sporter/light varmint contour so it will be pretty good at both target shooting and hunting

So whats the deal with super expensive scopes? Everywhere I look people are saying to drop 1k on a scope which is about how much the gun cost. Is it really necessary or would 500 dollar scope work just as fine?

Nice glass is nice and accurate tracking and useful reticles were very expensive, but the mid range stuff has gotten a lot better in recent years...
> just as good

just buy a swfa variable scope used on ebay for $500

Howa 1500 in a krg bravo chassis, 6.5cm. Then get a vortex pst gen2 at a minimum.

Dont dick around with 308
Dont dick around with stocks, get a chassis
Dont spend less than 600 on a scope, its the glass and internal build quality you are paying money for

coincidentially, I shot one today. I should mention that I am a "gross motor skill only" kind of person. First time with the specific rifle, ever, first time in years with a bolt gun. Shot a 2moa 5rnd group - 2" at 110yrds (just over 5cm at 100m to be exact). IDK if that says the rifle is any good, but it did feel nice, and I'm pretty sure the dispersion is mostly to be blamed on me.

Kind of want one. But damn, 1500€ for a bolt gun

Does anyone know whats the difference between Gen 1 and 2 in the RPR? I see a used Gen1 for 900€...

>howa 1500 in 6.5
>1800€ before scope
>3€/rnd for quality ammo
lol

>howa 1500 in 6.5
>1800€ before scope
>3€/rnd for quality ammo

I feel your pain fellow eurobro. 308 is still the norm unfortunately.

Howa 1500 action from brownells. Chassis of your choice, ewg rail, scope of your choice ( if poor fag swfa 10x or 12x)

For a stock you xan go cheaper and get a boyds, or a but nucer and do a bell&carlson, or go gucci and get a mpa , krg, or manners chassis.

As I have been doing the precision thing for a few years now, I may be able to answer a few of your questions.
My first question for you is how long of a range do you currently have access to?
Second, have you been done any range shooting past 200 yards in the last year?
Build out a DMR rifle and get good with that. Then move out to a precision Bolt gun.

Attached: shame.gif (245x213, 968K)

>Is the Ruger precision any good?
Yes it is. I have one in Gen 2 6.5 Creedmoor with a Gen 1 PST 6-24x60 FFP MRAD Reticle.

I started off with a precision AR and got good with 556 77gr OTM rounds. Then got the RPR and extended my range out further as I was able. I currently stick to Hornady ELDM 147 gr factory loads at the moment.

>but it's in no way a necessary requirement for precision shooting
This is very True.

I will get an RPR in 338 Lapua as well since the platform will be identical to my 6.5 creedmoor except for the optic which I will get a Higher magnification setup for.

Attached: 20170416_095015_resize.jpg (1512x2016, 1.45M)

Is AR-15 good as a DMR?

Yeah that was going to be my first question is what DMR rifle and would a AR15 be sufficient?

The local club goes up to 200 and there are 2 in my state that go to 1000. But no I have never shot at 200 +. Basically a complete newbie so any advice would be cool.

I have the RPR Gen 2 in .308 with a Athlon Ares BTR. I didn't go for the 6.5CM because I can't shoot past 600yds at my local spots anyways. And I can share ammo with my LR-308.

It's been a good setup, good accuracy and no issues with it so far. The Athlon glass is decent, I'd put it on par with my SWFA 3-15x42.

What you need to understand is that you will never have a DMR, because it means "a rifle that belongs to a DM"

Look around gunbroker and armslist.
Picked up my 7wsm action and barrel with dies for $350 shipped. Punches sub moa groups with my fireforming loads.

Attached: 20181020_130238(1).jpg (2880x2160, 3.04M)

my mosin nagant typically stays in 1" at 100 yd

What ammo?

Your are not wrong, but you know what I meant Jow Forumsunt.

There's a gen 3 rpr now

Yes it does make a good DMR Style Rifle. Choose a good build that you can validate is sub MOA. Then find a good factory ammo source and buy 500 rounds. Pratice. Practice and Practice again.

Shoot for groups. Not Bulls Eyes.

Move out to 200 yards and try and maintain the same groups you were hitting at 100 yards. Repeat out to 700 yards. Past about 500 yards your hand and body movement will effect the barrel movement enough to really start to sway the impact of the round just by breathing/muscle spasm/inability to stay perfectly still. Additionally, you will start having to use knowledge of bullet drop at these distances in conjunction with known distances.

A really good drill(and Cheep) is to take7-10 2 inch clays used for shotgun sports and set them in an Area/row at 500 yards. Then practice enough hit all of these targets with in 20 seconds without missing. If you put 7 clays out use a 10 round magazine. GET GOOD at this.

Using a semi-auto from a prone position doens't make you reset your form after each shot like a bolt action rifle will. Only when you reset your magazine will you shift a little bit.

After you can do 9/10 in under 30 seconds would I recommend moving to a bolt action rifle and further distances.

Repeat the 500 yard drill out to 700 yards with your AR 15 and you will have learned some solid muscle control that is transferable to bolt action shooting,

FYI, Shooting 2 inch clays at 500 yards is 1/2 MOA and you will be relying on your own skill here instead of just shooting for 1 MOA that the rifle is capable of. Hence why shooting for groups will help.

Again,
Don't worry about reloading yet.

Attached: save money start reloading.jpg (480x343, 49K)

Alright guys I've got a question, thinking about buying a .338 RPR and swapping out the barrel for .338 Norma or straight up buying an HS Precision htr in the desired caliber, which should I pick? Price comes out similarly

The imaginary kind.

What if I want an "out west" hunting rifle, for shit like moose, grizzly, elk, sheep, etc. Probably can't afford to build more than 1 gun (~$2-3k all in with glass) and also afford to use it, so I'm thinking .300 Win Mag is a versatile caliber.

The magnum action RPR seems pretty cool as long as it gets the support the short actions have... Why choose the Norma?

.308 is not killing elk at 400 yards, at least not ethically.

>ethically

animals dont have souls retard they are like robots or niggers it doesnt matter if they suffer

nigger detected

Attached: hitler.png (1000x629, 697K)

>Is AR-15 good as a DMR?
>would a AR15 be sufficient?
Yes.

Attached: 201539796239726.jpg (2576x1932, 1.04M)

Here in Australia, in my state, they pretty much banned the lapua because they see it as a military cartridge based solely on killing people. Funnily enough they allow 338 Norma

Attached: image.jpg (840x657, 91K)

im not a nigger just a hard core christian bro. my preacher says animals dont go anywhere when they die bc they aint got no soul

>.308 is not killing elk at 400 yards, at least not ethically.
Yes it is just use a heavier round and not be a shit shot.

>hard core christian
The problem with America right here boys. To bad all your predecessors killed of War Gods for the magical forgive your enemies desert sky daddy.

R8

Attached: A9335834-ACB2-4006-8143-B6ABE51E5DD4.jpg (4032x3024, 3.45M)

I think I've narrowed my first purchase down to one of the following:
Browning X-Bolt
Winchester 70
Tikka T3X Varmint
Sako 85
Sako A7
Howa Hogue
Howa GRS

Looking to kill deer at ~300 yards.
Anyone had any experience with any of these?

I am not the reloading guy, I'm just a noob that likes to know stuff.
Shooting groups means aiming at the same spot for 3 to whatever-number-of-shoots-in-the-group before trying to aim some other spot on the target, right?

Attached: Apu_Thumbs_Up.png (374x300, 119K)

Mine

Howa 1500 in a mpa chassis

Attached: 20170409_201803.jpg (2560x1440, 1.18M)

You cracked the code

Looks fucking great breh
That grip makes my iron the big iron

Attached: Apu_yay.png (865x526, 36K)

Anyone interested in Hornady's new .300 PRC?

Attached: image.jpg (480x480, 50K)

What should I look for in a AR to make it a DMR? 18 inch barrel? Scope brand?

Also should I buy one on armslist or make one? I prefer no registration cause fuck the democrats.

Nope.

What does it do for me that 300 wm or 30 nosler doesnt?

>39491943 (You)
The one shown is a 16" BCM barrel with the new Vortex Diamondback 4-16 EBR-2C MRAD( I got it on sale and with some discount coupons for around $280).

It is really up to you if you want a 16/18/20 inch barrel. I mostly just run 16" now, I don't have a problem with the minimal velocity loss.
Scope brand is the same IMO. If you don't want to break the bank there are a lot of good cheap scopes out there from Weaver Grand Slam Tactical to Burris and even some of the Primary Arms Brand scopes. I would recommend a Front Focal Plane optic however Second Focal Plane scopes are easy to learn on also. If you already understand MOA(minute of angle) I would suggest sticking to that over a Milliradian(MRAD) adjustable scope. MRAD is easy once you get used to.
I don't buy thing from Armslist so that is on you. In fact I have more or less stopped buying anything second hand, had more problems than what it was worth so I stopped.
Going to guess that you live in a heavy Blue State if so I would just recommend you try to abide by the laws as much as possible so it will not be detrimental to you in the future.

Attached: 1489464693509.gif (1892x790, 125K)

Don't rule a fixed 10x. Like the swfa

Russian jets are not known for their reliability when it comes to engines.

Russian electronics are clearly inferior. Sure they can build sexy aircraft, but that don’t mean the electronics within are on par. F22’s have far greater range.

And finally they don’t have many built or air worthy to begin with.

This may sound stupid, but what about iron sights for DMR? Is it feasible?

They are nice and tanky. The Weaver I mentioned has a 3-10 that can be found for around $180-200. SWFA is a good brand.
Yes and no.
Yes you could, however if you are looking at a semiautomatic 223/556 or any caliber for that matter you will be losing out on the capabilities and the purpose of a DMR setup without the optic. The concept is to allow the 223/556 cartridge coupled with a optic further engagement and identification capabilities. I'm not saying there aren't people who can confidently shoot a target at 600y/m with iron sights, there are, however you will have more niches that you can fill with a 3-9x optic mounted. Even with the magnification that I just mentioned at low power you can use it with both eyes open to engage CQB targets. It is even easier with a illuminated reticle and the idea behind using BINDON aiming method that ACOG promotes(idea has been around forever).

Attached: mk12mod0ver2-01.jpg (1000x506, 179K)

Thanks mate.
I thought you long range guys used more then 3-9x scopes.
I only have an air-rifle in 4,5 and I use on of those, the max distance target I ever shoot AT was some 45-50 meters, a small beer bottle. The best shoot I have (hit it twice in some 10 attempts, because I had my scope zeroed incorrectly when I did those) is the bottom face of a small beer bottle at 40 meters, at night with a uber powerful led light mounted on the gun.

You guys shoot at 2inch clays 500 meters away with 9x amplification, pretty impressive.

Lol, why did you delet the 1st post.
I replied to it here:

>not belted
>greater case capacity
It looks interesting, but the marginal gains won't make me sell my 300winmag.

Lol.
Little tipsy and was mad the photo rotated.
I run more magnification when grouping new uppers to see what grains they like to eat. I'll probably leave that Vortex set up as is after dropping it in a monolithic forward mount.

Attached: Nightforce 3.5-15x50 F1.jpg (640x960, 99K)

>I thought you long range guys used more then 3-9x scopes.
I do on some uppers and don't on some uppers. 10x is pretty much best for the 223/556 and it was I started to replying to within the thread just to clarify.

Attached: McMillan-TAC-338-01.jpg (958x639, 341K)

what chassis should I put the tacticool 700 I'm building in? I can't afford aics.

MDT has a few styles as does XLR.
MDT.
> mdttac.com/products/lss-chassis-system?variant=42964274182
XLR.
> xlrindustries.com/pages/chassis-systems

Attached: rem 700 in an xlr element chassis.jpg (2048x1087, 305K)

anything without the absolutely disgusting ar style buttstock?

I have the tikka in .270 and its been good for me for the price i find its better bang for buck than the x bolt. If you have more budget the A7 is nicer with more metal more accuracy according to manufacturer. I haven't got a deer at 300 yard with mine but if I trusted my shot more I don't think it would be an issue. If you want more distance go with a larger cal or a Mag

I linked both web pages?
MDT has the ability to add a standard A2 stock or any other type of AR stock designed with their folding adapter.
Ex. I have a Magpul PRS Gen3 stock and the MDT folding adapter. I can combine the two on the chassis.
>jpg somewhat related

Attached: mdt lss mvp patrol.jpg (800x533, 169K)

Doesn't Cabelas have a savage heavy barrel in 6.5 Creedmore on sale around black friday?

Yeah, unless bass pro ruins everything like they usually do... Sale and rebate like $150 off... 10t-sr is pretty gud...

Attached: 20180502_194639.jpg (2048x1152, 766K)

Cool thinking of getting one to get started in the precision, albeit in .308 to save on barrel costs because I've never really done long range before and will probably need a lot of practice.

I mean I don't want an ar stock. the xlr one is fucking ugly too.

You are probably fucked then.

what about this one?

The invisible one?

fuck forgot the link
brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/rifle-stocks/rem-700-bravo-s-a-chassis-prod113643.aspx
I don't know about spending as much as a whole gun costs on a stock, but just using something from boyds isn't going to look cool even if I pillar bed it and everything.

MDT have some nice stuff

Attached: image.jpg (755x406, 31K)

MDT ESS looks very attractive especially with the full rail

Attached: image.jpg (738x416, 115K)

He doesn't want that. He is special.

Its a .223 mate. All I expect is 500 yards and it does it.

The .308 has a Bushnell FFP and reach 1000 happily.

bump

>$849
going to cost more than the rest of the gun