PSA AR-15 A2 knockoff

How is this for babby's first AR? I'm a student who doesn't have the tools or desire to build my first rifle from a kit, so I'm looking at factory built rifles. Considering this or a Ruger MPR, which looks really nice as well but is $100 more and requires me to decide on/purchase a sight, whereas I could shoot the PSA right out of the box. Would be used as a range rifle/plinker but I'd like to get into shooting sports in the future. Is $550 too much for a prebuilt PSA? And what is it about the removable carrying handle that makes people sperg so hard?

Attached: PSA 20 classic A2.png (1000x345, 159K)

Other urls found in this thread:

palmettostatearmory.com/psa-20-rifle-length-5-56-nato-1-7-melonite-a2-freedom-rifle-kit.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Kit builds are easy, and require only basic hand tools.

Removable carry handles don’t look as nice as fixed handles, they’re both adequate iron sights.

I'd prefer a shorter carbine type rifle but the PSA rifles are solid.

that's an A4 knock off, not an A2 - note that the carry handle is removable. I prefer fixed stocks desu, and the 20" barrel is GOAT.

Reason people don't like the detachable carry handles is they only go out to 600yds, rather than the TRUE and HONEST 800.

This. They'll also give you a much better understanding and appreciation for the weapon. Think of it like building your own PC. The experience itself is worth the hassle, because you'll be much more familiar with it and able to troubleshoot and maintain it without as much help.

Whichever route you go, save a little longer and don't get a PSA. Thank me later.

Thoughts on the MPR? the 18" barrel seems like a decent compromise on length. Will fit/accuracy be noticeably better than a PSA?

by far. The Ruger is simply a better made rifle. Better trigger, barrel, furniture is a huge upgrade.
Spend the extra $50 on magpul backup sights until you can get something better.

How much of that rifle are you actually going to want to keep? I bought a similar one for my first rifle a while back, and I ended up swapping out about 50% of the parts to customize it. In the end, I would have saved a lot by just building it myself. Nothing wrong with having spare parts around, but it definitely wasn't a route I'd take again. Do you think you'll actually be happy with that fixed buttstock? Or any of the cheaper furniture? Do you really want a drop in handguard?

Navigating all the options for barrels/stocks/handguards and whatnot is pretty daunting for me, since I don't really know what's worth springing for off the bat and what to wait on. Do I go for the cheapest basic bitch option to start with and go from there?

Removable carry handles are ugly, don't actually work as carry handles unless you have girl fingers, and waste rail space vs. a dedicated rear sight. (That rail space could be used for things like optics, or even an actual functioning carry handle.)
Their only value is if you want to make something that looks as close to an A2 as you can, but you're stranded on a desert island with only flat-top receivers. And they're still ugly.

I was reading a lot of complaints about the fit being too tight, to the point it makes disassembling it almost impossible without a punch. Remedies to that or is it whining about nothing?

What do you mean accuracy. If this is your first rifle you'll be lucky to hit the broad side of a barn at 300 meters.

You aren't literally supposed to carry your rifle from the carry handle.

>vs a dedicated rear sight

What do you think a carry handle is? It's not a back up rear sight.

You're ignorant AF.

>You aren't literally supposed to carry your rifle from the carry handle.

Then what the fuck is it for

It's a design that carried over from the AR-10 which shrouded the reciprocating charging handle. That's what the fuck it's for.

Attached: jerryar1403.jpg (600x441, 64K)

It was originally designed to protect the vertical charging handle on the AR-10 and host the sight.
Now it hosts the sight. And the charging handle is in the back of the receiver.

Absolute idiocy, AR-15s should all pop out take down pins without a punch.

Wasn't expecting informative civil responses. Man I love Jow Forums

So general thoughts are:
If possible, build your own.
Don't bother with the PSA A4, too many things that aren't replaced or upgraded as easily.
If not building own, of the options listed the ruger is preferable. Thanks dudes.

I am only considering getting a PSA A2/A4 because my old man was in during the late 90s/early aughts. No such thing as foregrips, RAS or red dots at the time.

It's a clever dual-function feature that both holds the rear sight up where you can see it with a normal cheek weld, and protects the charging handle (old-school AR-10) from catching on things -- and hey, you can also use it for a carrying handle, aren't us Armalite guys clever? It got left there when the charging handle got moved to the rear because we need something to hold the sight up, but the carry handle part is basically a vestigial organ, because you very rarely would even consider carrying a rifle that way. (Can't easily transition to a firing grip, muzzling everything, etc.) Still, I find it deeply offensive when you CAN'T use it to carry the rifle -- no matter how much I don't want to.

You know what I meant, rear sights that are only rear sights, instead of also being carry handles. Pic related, superior to rail-mounted carry handles in every way.

forgot pic

Attached: RRA_rear_sight.png (584x180, 74K)

I have an Aero A4 clone with a carry handle. It’s a nice rifle but I still wish I’d have sprung for a Colt or FN. For nothing else other than authenticity. I don’t know if I’d build a PSA though.

>I want to try to act like I know something special
Yes, as well as to carry the rifle. Have you retards never watched a Vietnam films? The carry handle was absolutely made to be used as a carry handle. If not, it would have been removed grin the design after the charging handle was redesigned.

Superior back up iron? I don’t know what you’re getting at but the carry handle is the best iron you can get on an AR. If your argument is that you want the option of mounting an optic then you are looking for a backup iron.

This is entirely untrue. Soldiers were trained not to carry the rifle by the carry handle. What they did in combat is irrelevant. It was not designed for that purpose.

If rail-mounted carry handles are best, surely you can explain one way in which they're better than an A2-type fixed rear sight?

The unambiguous way in which they are worse is that they take up more rail space. And before you go reeeing about "backup" sights (like a sight's merits depend on whether you use an optic or not), remember you can use that rail space for things other than optics, e.g. aiming laser, or offset flashlight mount. (Or tactical bottle opener, offset Zip22LR, etc. -- or even a working carry handle that you will never use. It doesn't have to be useful, it still beats having a pig ugly rail-mount carry handle occupying it.)

Or you could just leave the rail empty, have a slightly lighter rifle (ounces, pounds, pain) and
gain the option, for absolutely free, that if you ever do want to add an optic, you can just add that optic without having to install a different rear sight and rezero.

I have the psa in the your picture and love it. mine didn't come with a carry handle and i put a colt carry handle on it. i mostly use it to plink steel plates at 100 yards at the range and it's worked great so far. have around 1000 rounds through it. people also always want to shoot it when i take it out for some reason.

Buy once, cry once.
Get an actual good naked OEM rifle from colt/aero precision/whatever, use the money you saved on shitty furniture to buy the furniture you actually want. If you buy a piece of shit now, you're going to be $550 in the hole when you decide to buy the rifle you wanted in the first place.

When you go to boot camp and qualify with an A2, hold the rifle by the carry handle and make sure your drill sergeant or drill instructor sees you do it. Report back about what happens.

I own one for kicks.
It’s breddy gud, fit and finish was better than expected. Very light-recoiling, no malfunctions yet.

buy a blem upper and lower (you'll never find the blem) and spend the savings on a upgraded trigger and bolt. Watch a few of the many YouTube vids on assembly, and do it. A finished gun has a manufacturer's tax applied that they (you) will not pay if you build it out of parts. I watched vids, took my time in assembly, and it was rewarding and saved me about $100 even after putting in the ACT and mil-spec bolt.

Those are out of spec pivot pins. I would call psa customer service to get new ones set

>barrel
Don't cheap out here, not even PSA does (IIRC most of their barrels are of FN manufacture).
>Stock
I'd personally recommend a basic 6-position adjustable but this one is way more about aesthetic choice. For .223/5.56 you're not getting any serious recoil impulse so no need to worry about a high end stock.
>Handguards
Go free float, MLOK. You can stick to basic A2 style clamshell handguards but they're not really any lighter and not that much cheaper than your average lower-end MLOK options.

>Have you retards never watched a Vietnam films?
>Calling people retard because they don't compulsively copy everything that comes out of Pedowood movies
The irony, it's palpable

Attached: HuehuehueSpin.gif (385x575, 2.4M)

The PSA bashing, I don't get it. I buy metals, metal finishing, and precision metal parts for a company you know. If you understand the AR, the function each part plays, and which part contribute to accuracy, you realize that the bolt face alignment, fire control group and barrel alignment is where the accuracy comes from. PSA prolly get the barrels from the same source that the FN plant in Columbia sources theirs. (Wilson) So what exactly is the problem with PSA? Are your lowers and uppers dissolving in the rain? Did you break the trigger off while shooting UBL? Did your mag fall out as you sky dived onto a mountain in Afganistan? Do you hate deciding what to do with pesky $100 bills that seem to collect in your wallet? Really, what have your actual shortcomings been with PSA because mine hits at 600 except when there's a problem behind the rifle.

>IIRC most of their barrels are of FN manufacture).
This is a lie
They do sell fn made barrels but the vast majority isnt from fn.
If its from fn they go out of their way to say so in the description. Nitride/freedom/stainless which is the bulk of what they sell in volume is not fn.

Yep looks like I feel for the memes. They manufacture their own barrels expect the CHF ones (which are indeed FN).

I ordered that same rifle last week and i am still waiting for them to ship it.

If you want to save some money get the kit version and buy a lower online for $40 or less or source it locally if you can find one under $65. Pic related is mine

Attached: 1C612E56-79F8-4981-8D8A-5BA814C32131.jpg (3024x4032, 2.23M)

Suggestions on a kit? Not OP but I’m in the same boat

>be me
>order ammo and some parts I needed for a shooting event happening in 2 weeks
>all in stock, nothing that involved an ffl
>receive said items in about 3.5 weeks
>never ordering for fagSA again

Note that the kit doesn’t include the handle, if you want one you can find surplus Colts on ebay for $40

palmettostatearmory.com/psa-20-rifle-length-5-56-nato-1-7-melonite-a2-freedom-rifle-kit.html

Just needs a lower receiver and a rear sight/carry handle/optic.

Why do you need such a long barrel for an AR?

16" is the only barrel length any AR owner needs.

A true ARfag owns at least one 10.5” pistol, one 16” carbine, and one 20” rifle as Stoner intended

Attached: DB4BCCCA-93D6-41F8-920E-DB0A24AF3043.jpg (750x1334, 127K)

It's just people trying to justify spending 1400$ on an AR, so anytime they see someone with a PSA or an Anderson lower they get triggered.

Some people think it’s impossible for inexpensive ARs to be quality. It’s a boomer mindset that thinks paying twice as much = twice as good. PSA’s Corporate goal is getting trustworthy rifles into the hands of every gun owner in America and that deserves support IMO

Dude i ordered this shit hoping to get it before thanksgiving and after reading all the horror stories from PSA im starting to think it wont happen, especially since its a complete rifle.

Attached: 1528683410341.jpg (625x505, 173K)

This. Especially with their premium line of uppers and barrels, you honestly can't go wrong.

Thank you so much!!!

my kit minus a lower took 1 week. Oddly even after given a tracking # and delivered, the PSA site it still said processing.

Attached: Gonna make it huuuuge.png (1619x833, 1.77M)

>tfw built desktop in 2016
>built psa in 2018
>spent more on my computer
I'm happy with my choices

Attached: 1540219536936.gif (400x400, 1.64M)

your VFG location is fucking retarded

20” is optimal, 16” is a compromise

>everyone needs an AR pistol
>posts a firearm instead
baka

My order processed in 3 days, was in transit 4.
I lived in Wilmington NC, 3 and a half hours from their brick and mortar in Columbia.
Your methods may vary, but it should be the same timing regardless of where you are in the country.

Attached: PicsArt_10-25-12.54.58.png (1440x2130, 250K)

I fixed the VFG location but no pic

point stands, 10.5” ARs are dope

Attached: AA9AFE37-4104-4C6F-849B-F8A2AFFBBD07.jpg (750x750, 408K)

Ordered my kit on a Wednesday, received it that Friday

Mk18’s deserve better than the ghonorrhea you put on that buffer tube

Attached: 4D03B03C-DE7B-4B33-B421-1ABD35CCDEB4.jpg (2048x1536, 1.73M)

I have a lower with a blade but it sucks compared to the SBA3. It looks ugly but it’s adjustable and comfortable to accidentally shoulder

Attached: 4B325B93-4B46-433B-9AB1-033AF511C4AC.jpg (3024x4032, 1.94M)

>muzzle brake on an ar pistol
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

If its not a Colt's TM brand AR15 TM then its just junk.

Attached: gatblaster.jpg (2448x3264, 2.24M)

Sweet tube.

That lower looks retarded too

So I got it. It was at the FFL since tuesday, ordered last wednesday. Palmetto website still said processing.

Lubed and inspected it, very satisfied with it. Everything runs smooth and tight.

Only thing i dont like is the noticable gap in the handguard.

Attached: 20181025_154233.jpg (1960x4032, 3.34M)

>noticeable gap
Its fine, classic handguards all have a little gap.

Get some of the straight 20 round aluminum mags. They're infinitely more
A E S T H E T I C

On the one hand yes, once they have the materials it's the same, but differences can include tolerancing, quality control, and assembly. Don't get me wrong, I've used PSA parts and think they're good to go, but there can be differences

Who makes the best A2 clone for the money?

w2c handguard and tube?

take it to the range and make sure it zero's and shoots fine. if you do anything to the gun, including disassembly, it voids the warranty.

>Considering this or a Ruger MPR,
Given everything you've posted, I'd recommend you check out a built Aero. Their fit and finish is far better than PSA or Ruger (or any of the other low end brands) and it's near your price range. Don't worry about the gun snobs on Jow Forums who consider anything below DD/KAC/ETC to be "poorfag trash", most of them never even shoot. An Aero will do everything you want and more.

Attached: 1538541434241.jpg (720x744, 115K)

It happens... they are under compression.

Attached: PC310537.jpg (3039x750, 918K)

guess i dont feel so bad now

Attached: 20181025_154936.jpg (4032x1960, 2.07M)

I planned om buying several OKAY mags with the 20 rders being a few of them.

I may have already 'disassembled' it. I have already removed the BCG, and inspected the bolt itself. I did not go any further than that though. i simply wanted to check for deformaties. Would that be considered void?

I sure hope not because that sounds ridiculous, ill have to look it up myself aswell.

At any rate the rifle is in tip top shape. Nothing out of the ordinary, im fully expecting it to shoot fine

This the carry handle gives zero control over muzzle direction and slows reaction times to enemy contact.

Its not supposed to be used like that. Remember the carry handle was also an optic mounting point

Attached: 1540394548330.jpg (480x480, 39K)

It's a polymer lower. Trash braces go on trash lowers

Attached: IMG_6795.jpg (3851x2449, 3.26M)

muzzle brake = sacrificial baffles for when my Sandman S stamp comes in

Attached: MK-18 with Sandman S.jpg (1088x816, 309K)

>post AR “pistol”
>has foregrip on it
Enjoy the ATF shooting your dog faggot

That makes more sense.

>OAL > 26”
It identifies as a firearm

>OKAY Surefeeds
Patrician taste my dude

20 is too long. 16” is goat and won’t get in the way when you’re forced to use it in your home.

>20" is too long
I feel bad for any women you may seek to bang

I have a Spikes Lower with CMMG parts kit, PSA Mid-Length Chrome Lined Upper with 1:7 Twist. Runs like a champ and no hickups after putting almost 2000 round through it! There are better rifles out there, but I'd definitely trust my life with this rifle if the SHTF.

Attached: 1540573804323469263263.jpg (4160x3120, 3.81M)

Figured it might be a good place to ask. Is there a good optic I can put on an ar with a fixed carry handle.

Not an A2, the carry handle is detachable. This is A3/A4.

>tfw just bought a 20" barrel along with a stripped lower and upper receiver

Kinda wanna do it up with OD green furniture and A2 FSB/carry handle for that jungle carbine look

was that a chan reference?

separating the two receivers and inspecting the bcg is not disassembling it. I'm talking about taking the barrel/gas system off etc.