Toxic materials and conditions

Have you ever been exposed to hazardous materials from either your time in the service, or at work and noticed a decline in health?

>Burn pits
>radioactive materials
>nerve agents
>asbestos

It all goes. Lets hear some stories

Attached: 85B7FD13-DB22-400A-A405-85B86C137DB1.jpg (621x414, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=edAxujKev1I
silvereco.org/en/microsoft-build-2017-a-bracelet-which-alleviates-parkinson-related-tremors/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I deal with disposing of nuclear waste. Been doing it for three years, yet to notice a difference.

>Have you ever been exposed to hazardous materials from either your time in the service, or at work and noticed a decline in health?
Yeah, OP posting

I yawned under a plane and glycol dripped into my mouth from the wing, I felt slightly retarded

What the fuck is this stupid comment even supposed to mean?

Please detail your daily routine.

Any stories that come to mind?

Attached: 5AFE28DC-1FA1-45D2-BC02-FF46D75C27E1.png (1242x2208, 357K)

Attached: EE26663A-9C94-4034-9A3C-A33705EBABC3.png (1242x2208, 531K)

Learn to properly crop you phone posting faggot

There is nothing special about my job. I just sit on my ass all day working a forklift, loading pallets of 50 gallon drums of waste, scan all drums to make sure they're all there, and that the load is secured for transport. Still have to wear all protective gear. Co worker accidently ran his forklift into multiple drums and was heavily exposed.

I took a shit once

Is this better?

Attached: 9FF99EC1-5CFE-4AD0-92BF-EB9268377AE0.png (1242x2208, 356K)

My gramps used to work assembly at y12 before he got drafted into the US european land army (originally the 7th US army) thanks to this he got to attend some missle tests and i have pictures he took somewhere

I got gassed at basic once
fucking sucked, but at least I felt less sick for a couple hours

>Hey You'd into a work detail with no prep or explanation of what we would be doing, just get in the fucking 2 ton right now
>Moving old shit out of a condemned building deemed unfit for human presence
>Ancient locked red cabinet with faded skull and crossbones symbol
>White powder pours out of it onto my hands and face when we try to lift it
>The next day I have severe reaction that requires serious medical intervention
>Ever since then, I require daily application of the strongest (rather expensive) topical steroid there is so my hands and face don't start crusting over and start bleeding
>Just found out I'll be getting a whole 10% disability for it just because the surface area isn't large enough. Just to reiterate, my hands and face will crack up and start bleeding if I don't slather on a steroid so powerful they tell me it's eventually going to turn my skin translucent every single day.

Oh and I'm pretty sure they just eventually just dumped that cabinet out in Red Diamond Field like they do with old C wire for giggles.

Attached: 1516405027377.jpg (1080x1080, 150K)

Jesus fucking christ what the fuck

Jesus god wtf was it?

pulverized jews

All I know was the cabinet was red and up on blocks which means it contained some fucking dangerous shit. It had labels and writing on it but it was so old that it was all completely faded. Except for that fucking skull and crossbones. The NCOIC refused to even go near it but made us lift and move it and thus my little accident. And the fact that it mysteriously vanished from where we set it means some fucker up the chain of command got scared and disappeared it.

My next step is they can take skin samples for testing but I would have to stop using the medicine and let it fully metastasize which I am loathe to do since it is a living hell at that point and takes awhile to bring back under control. And at most it would just get me up to 30% since the VA only rates on the size of the skin condition, not the severity. Also I just don't want to know at this point.

DONT EVER LET THEM FUCKING BULLY YOU INTO DOING BIOHAZARD SHIT

Im not the guy who posted the story, bht theres probably no way of knowing.

Chemistry is filled to the brim with unknown white powders

>10% disability
Yeesh, I get 30% and it's only 600 bucks

It could be worse mate.

Jusr goes to show, when something looks dangerous, dont question it. Suit up and if they dont let you, quit.

Attached: 3A11CFA9-0847-4C91-A750-C8389D6A4844.png (1242x2208, 674K)

I work at a tech company

I am exposed everyday to my coworkers bullshit

>have you or a loved one been diagnosed with mesothelioma

Please let this be true.

Thread theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=edAxujKev1I

>in college chem lab
>fume hood breaks
>get big whiff of chlorine
>spend rest of the day coughing up pink phlegm
>no longer have sense of smell

LISTEN UP YOU ENLISTED FUCKS

If you are ever ordered to handle anything with obvious hazmat warnings without proper PPE, and you’re not in a combat zone, refuse the order. And tell the first NCO or officer who threatens you that it’s an unlawful order and you’ll be happy to take the punishment, and you’ll be informing the Inspector General.

If you are sent to the brig, request your chaplain immediately, and go through him. He’ll show up way before your legal representation bothers.Threaten suicide if you have to.

t. civilian paralegal in Norfolk that handles UCMJ cases. Yes, there are civilian law firms that deal with military law.

Reminds me of a story.

>in forensic pathology
>played with acids all the time
>hydrochloric smells fucking abysmal.
>smells like chlorine died, and then vinegar'd
>that shit would burn your eyes from across the room
>buddy mar walks in the room and looks at the acid vat
Oh yea man stay away from that shit, it smells BAD And will eat your skin
>REALLY?!
He stuck his fuckin face into the vat probably 5 inches from the acid and deeply inhaled from the nose.

Have no idea how he can still smell

>soldering teflon insulated UHF radio terminals
>breath of some bad shit
>short of breath for a month, phlegm for a couple days
Well, guess I won't do that again.

burn baby burn

Attached: DSC00591.jpg (2304x1728, 1.75M)

I was exposed to mustard gas (it was at least 100 years old) from a gas mask. I also have had gasoline splashed on me as a child.

Wtf you need to talk to someone, I know and see office POG's that weaseled their way up to or near 100% disability without actually having anything really wrong with them.

It's fucking disgusting being on base and seeing tons of civis/contractors with disabled veteran plates driving brand new $50k+ cars. The worst are the fuckers that park their Z06 or pimped F-150 in a handicap spot and get out and walk no problem. I've even seen a Ferrari 458, smdh.

Chlorinated meeself while replacing the chlorine pucks in the Glace Bay's blackwater system in '15 because they offgas in their buckets in the Carribean.

I work right next to a civilian maintenance unit and park next to a 2019 Mercedes.

guys rolled burning tires into some caves. You can fill in the blank

>be standing on 50,000 gallon fuel blivet to gauge it
>gauge hole is in the exact fucking center
>it pops, because God knows how old blivet sitting in the Iraqi desert for a minimum of 4 years with no overhead cover
>literally have to swim through ~45,000 gallons of JP8 to get to the berm
>skin on entire body now regularly sloughs off, have full-body eczema that developed within 48 hours

>get tasked with helping the Iraqi Army dispose of "some old artillery shells they have in a bunker or something"
>get to old bunker
>door rusted shut
>IA's throw a chain around it and just rip it off the hinges with a truck
>black mold, black mold as far as the eye can see
>no seriously there is mold a fucking foot deep on every single surface, we're wading shin-deep through wet mold
>IA's start just rummaging around in it bare-handed, coming up with rusty 105's or similar and a bunch of 81mm-class mortars
>smart enough to stand outside and let them do their thing

>get tasked to go help the IAs clear out another bunker
>about halfway there and the liaison goes "oh by the way it's nerve gas shells"
>you fucking what?!
>"Yes, left over from the war with Iran. They are very old. We just found them again."
>full on MOPP 4
>not 30 seconds after opening this bunker one of the IA's starts doing the funky chicken, they bodily throw his convulsing form in the bed of a hilux and haul ass for a hospital, never heard about him again, assume he died
>end up getting some TCN's over there to just slap a concrete cap over the whole fucking thing
>realize after the fact I'd already spent close to 3 weeks in the same MOPP suit that's only supposed to be good for 24 hours
>2 years later develop uncontrolled but minor/moderate muscle tics and spasms
>VA diagnoses me with sarin gas exposure
>it's progressive, will be full-Parkinsons tier in a few years, but unlikely to kill me (outside of me spasming myself into a fatal car crash)

amazon is delivering beer and wine free!?

Attached: 1497215208156.jpg (600x800, 53K)

>>it's progressive, will be full-Parkinsons tier in a few years, but unlikely to kill me (outside of me spasming myself into a fatal car crash)
Hey, they have these wristbands now that vibrate opposite your tremors, so your hands will stay steady.
silvereco.org/en/microsoft-build-2017-a-bracelet-which-alleviates-parkinson-related-tremors/

I couldn't find it, but the one I saw looked less faggy than that microsoft one.

>wristband
I get the tremors in every major muscle group through. It's difficult to do much more than a slow walk and I have to sleep in a recliner because I will literally spasm my way off a bed in my sleep.

but there's a catch!

I do research and work in a foundry and I have noticed I have a cough any time I am in there. Its definitely silicosis and heavy metals in the air, we'll see the long term effects. Sometimes they have me make metals powered by hand, with a mortar and pestel. I turned niobium shavings into dust for like two hours and sieved sulfer particles out of dusty manganese flakes for a few hours before. Today I fucked with powdered refractory and relined a furnace. We use a polymer binder and every time we pour metal it makes a really carcinogenic smell, especially if you break it out early its unbearable without a mask. I'll probably end up getting lung cancer or maybe something more minor. Only a year or so more of this shit before I hope to never work in a foundry again. I'm wearing my mask as much as I can now because this shit is definitely not good for you. Foundry/Steel mill work is interesting and deals with firearms related things but you want to work no where near any of it. When you powder metal and or raise the temperature of it im sure theres nasty stuff. The thing is too the EPA either banned silica sand use in foundries within the next couple years or is thinking about it and no one in the industry gives a shit, they'll probably just pack up shop and say fuck it because it will be too expensive. I would not be surprised to see class action lawsuits in the future against some of bigger foundries.

Attached: 20180919_135410-1-1.jpg (2340x1139, 396K)

chuckled

The issue that combat billets run in to is lack of documentation. I got a purple heart from IDF and suffered nerve damage in my shoulder from a 13 go in Afghanistan. Come back and manage to get 10% for my hearing. I point out that I'm now 1.2" shorter than when I left and got shrapnel taken from my leg, and I'm told
>Hurr no documentation
Because fuck me for not having a doctor at our fob or having time to see one the handful of times we were at Bagram for some shit.

Meanwhile admin fucks who never got closer to a combat AO than Turkey are getting 50%+ disability for bad backs from their office chairs or sprained wrists from typing, because they have all the time in the world to hit up medical and make a paper trail.

Fuck, my shitbags brother in law retired a Chief with 100% disability for PTSD after serving his entire career on submarines.

>Early Afghan we ended up crawling around in some fucking awful places, caves full of dust, bat shit and god knows what else. After sucking up enough of that there was about 8 of us getting about week off. No long terms effects but fuck we where sick as dogs.
>The appeal of being blown up in a crazy rabbit warren was not appealing

>Standing ankle deep in scud juice, trying to pull its radio gear and other telemetry out in full MOP + 47C heat
>I honestly don't remember being as hot in my life ever since, literally swimming in sweat with the imminent threat of something sparking and murdering the two of us in a fireball the size of a suburb.
>that sucked a lot

>Mid 2008 we seemed to be doing clearance on more mustard gas shells and mortar rounds than we knew what to do with.
>For a while we seemed to be every 2nd day getting a chem call-out and just about shitting ourselves in terror
>If we where really lucky we'd get a sarin shell just to really fuck our day up. Either luckily or unluckily most of those had degraded to the point they'd turned into toxic shmoo but it'll still fuck you right up

All in all though, no lasting effects on myself.

>VA diagnoses me with sarin gas exposure
Fuck, sorry to hear mate

Worked in a lab for two years, supposedly harmless basic stuff. Resign due to education,
>You know user, turns out ventilation on the whole floor's been fucked up for some time
>Huh whatever bye
Not a lot later, whoops, left half of the body sporadically gets a demonic tic and I get diagnosed with permanent nerve damage. Life is fun. I wonder how're other people there doing.