Shit calibers that wont survive

>.224 Val
>6.5creedmor
>6.8
>357 sig
>10mm

Which of these rounds are actuAlly worth keeping around and wont fade into obsurity within the next decade?

I want a few of these calibers, but fuck dead ammo types

Attached: 68C77732-9F32-4767-8691-26C7B50122B2.jpg (452x308, 138K)

10mm has been around for awhile and is actually growing in popularity, so I think it'll last.
6.5 creedmoor has legitimate advantages over .308 at range and factory match ammo isn't too expensive, so it should stay more niche than .308 but still be popular.
.224 valk is a meme round pushed by shitty youtubers, expect it to die in 2 years.
6.8 and .357 are being pushed by big companies, so I think they'll stick around as well. They've also been around for a decade or so, so they have passed a slight trial of time.

6.5 Creedmoor is far from dead and is very rapidly gaining support in a whole slew of guns.

10mm and 6.5 Creedmoor are the ones that are more likely to survive.

>357 sig
Always gonna be a market for .357 automag.

6.5 Creedmoor and 10mm both have a solid base and are here to stay.

It remains to be seen for the others. I would be extremely surprised if .224 Valkyrie makes it. The number of intermediate rifle cartridges that start with .22 that have retired to the obsolete cartridge retirement home is staggering, and isn't Valk proprietary, too? What a recipe for success.

I don't think 6.5 CM will fade unless long distance ranges start getting shut down because it's a niche round that fits that niche well and people really like it for punching paper at long distances.
Over the past few years 10mm has only been getting cheaper, plinking ammo isn't nearly as expensive as people think it is who don't shoot it.
6.8 seems to be gaining a lot of traction for people who like to hunt with ARs, but who knows maybe something else will come along in 5 years and it will slowly burn out.
224 seems like a big meme though

6.5 Creedmoor is the most fun 300+ yard round imo, feels very nice

.357 sig has been adopted by secret service and seems to have a future in law enforcement. I actually see it becoming what .40 s&w was supposed to be. I don't own one so I'm not saying this out of bias. I legitimately see it staying around for very long time. 10mm is one of the only semi auto cartridges truely great for the woods and it has a very loyal and slowly growing following so it will also be around long time.

Except 357 Sig has zero demonstrable real world advantages over 9mm

This
>it looks cool
>it sounds cool
>it doesnt do anything that 9-40mm doesnt

Absolute why

>1500 FPS from standard loadings
>bu-bu-but muh wildcat +p++ 30cpr 9mm is just as good!

.357 sig is failing because you actually need to know ballistics beyond BEIG BOOLET IS BETTA to “get” it even though there’s not much to fucking get

It fires a 125 grain projectile at 1400, sometimes more fps. This is the same ballistics as the old .357 mag loads from a 4" barreled revolver which supposedly had very impressive terminal performance. So it should have a terminal performance advantage over 9mm.

>inb4 shot placement

Shot placement is THE most important thing, but it cannot be 100% relied apon. A missed vital with a .22 won't do shit. A missed vital with a 9mm will cause some good damage, perhaps even ending the fight, or perhaps having little affect. A missed vital with a .357 magnum could have the terminal performance to end the fight right there (doesn't have to be a kill shot). Bottom line, more powerful rounds do more damage.

>demonstrably superior hard barrier penetration
>eclipses classical .357 magnum service loadings
>2100fps+ loadings available that penetrate adequately
Only if you limit it to 1300fps factory loads.

6.5 creed is going places and you will see it proliferate in the future

6.8 is being shilled but it's not exciting, maybe another 6.8 cartridge will become prominent.

357 Sig will probably remain niche but just on the verge of mainstream, a lot of PDs issue it.

10mm will remain private consumer oriented, doubt it will be widely adopted by agencies.

Forgot .224, just like everybody else will over the next 2 years.

Creedmoor will probably expand, not go away. They'll probably eventually roll out 25 and 270 Creedmoor factory ammo to go along with the 6.5 and 6.

>10mm
One of these things is not like the other

>.224 Val
Yeah that shit is toast

>6.5, 6.8
If anything, 6.5 is increasing in popularity, although it's going to be a niche round unless it's adopted by a major military (ditto with 6.8). 6.8 is getting pushed hard. I think 6.5's ability to fit in an unmodified AR-15 magwell makes it more likely to survive than 6.8 unless, again, there's a huge contract.

Aside from something dramatic, they're still going to be niche cartridges. But they'll be niche cartridges for AR-pattern rifles the way .243, .270, 25-.06 etc are niche cartridges for bolt action rifles, which have all survived for a long time.

>.357 sig
I don't see SIG discontinuing pistols chambered in this round as long as there's even moderate demand. And there's going to be moderate demand as long as SIG produces pistols in .357 sig. This feedback loop is stable for the present popularity of the cartridge and, hey, some euro police force might decide to buy it.

>10mm
If high-performance 9mm rounds haven't killed it yet, they're not going to.

So how's the future of 300 BLK? It hasn't been a decade yet and even though it has a lot of supporters it sounds like it's getting lost among the other new calibers.

.224 has legitimate advantages over 5.56 at range and factory match ammo isn't too expensive, so it should stay more niche than 5.56 but still be popular.

>So how's the future of 300 BLK?

It's going to die or basically become a wildcat round because of how difficult and expensive it is to buy suppressors.

224 seemed like a great idea just shit execution by federal and reamer manufacturers... Hopefully either that or 6.8SPC will take off so I can find cheap brass to reload off the 75gr BTHP stash I have...

6.5 and 300 PRC need to be on this list too...

For one thing, it's more viable for defeating soft body armor than 9mm +P. I think more people/departments THINK they need this than actually need it, but it's a nice bonus.
For another, TSC effects at 2000+fps are impressive, and bullets relying on them are more barrier-blind than today's best expanding rounds.

It comes down to speed -- you can argue all day how it just exceeds or just falls short of .357mag in the 125gr JHP loadings (dickering over which loads from which era, and what barrel lengths ought to be compared), but it has the overwhelming benefit of allowing you to load it as light and fast as possible with no flame-cutting concerns.
And any bullet 9mm can throw, .357sig can throw faster.

>6.5's ability to fit in an unmodified AR-15 magwell
Dude, 3-½" 12-gauge shells will fit in an unmodified AR-15 magwell. Even .50 BMG will fit. But cartridges standing on end don't actually help.
(You do realize OP said 6.5 Creedmoor, right?)

Its gonna fall off as 8.6 creedmor gains popularity

10mm, no question
tons of relatively common handguns made for that round, fun for plinking (if you're a magnum kinda guy), good load variety (if you look around), variety of practical applications

if the round being restocked regularly on store shelves in my area is any indicator, people buy it regularly
i think it'll stick around for a long time

Attached: glock20.jpg (1000x750, 158K)

>224 call
Isn't going to make it. Not significant enough to switch from 5.56 despite it being arguably better
>6.5 creedmoor
Will be around for a while. It's cemented at least a 7-08 level of popularity
>6.8
The non non telescoping variant is already drifting away
>357 Sig
Don't know, probably drift slowly away despite it being kind of neat
>10mm
Will stay and be better known as the common, powerful auto-loader cartridge but without reaching 9mm and 45 popularity

They all be around in some quantity but the commercial popularity of 6.5 creed and 10mm are the 2 that will have the highest quantity

357 automag=/=357 sig
357sig is a bottleneck cartridge and 357 automag is a rimless 357 magnum.

I agree. I think of all the calibers listed in the OP, 10 has the most promise.

6.5 mememoor is here to stay

.308/.300 winmag bench shooters are really the only people that [want to] believe 6.5 creedmoor is a fad

Yes. It is well rounded cartridge that got the right marketing.

>10mm has been around for awhile and is actually growing in popularity
Why would you post in a Brady thread?

Attached: idiots3.png (618x412, 365K)

The numbers are better sure, but there are plenty of obscure rounds with all around better numbers than 308/300winmag. Why is 6.5 creedmoor going to be the one that supplants 308?
308 is popular because it performs well enough and it's popular you can find it lots of places, and there are alot of rifles chambered in it. So why 6.5 creedmoor?

what do you mean by this

If you visit the/prg/ threads often lately you'll see every major poster with an accurized 300wm and even most 308 owners suggesting others start with a 6.5 creed. Nearly all if them own a 6.5mm or 6mm creed or have expressed interest in building one too. There's only a handful of guys who don't seem to like the caliber and most of them are using auto loader 308s.

I want to add, I'm not bad mouthing 308 or 300wm, both have areas they excel in and aren't going anywhere.

>most of them are using auto loader 308s.
This. When they start making producing ¢.50 per round steel case 6.5 creedmoor in vast quantities, I might get an AR 10 in that caliber. Right now 308 is the best for battle rifles and battle rifles are my thing.

They are paid to post threads meant to divide.

.458 SOCOM is the superior AR meme caliber tbqhwyf

Also, to reply to OP, .300 BLK is destined for the trash bin

That makes sense. I could definitely understand why someone interested in a higher fire rate would be concerned with even just a little less in accurate ammo cost. I think 168 smks gon on sale often for something like 30cpr less than other match creedmoor and 308 wears less on your lands.

.458 is the close-range AR master caliber. .224 is the long-range AR master caliber. They both do one thing really well and not much else. .458 has the BC of a brick and .224 can't even touch .223 velocities at the muzzle.

I don't believe it will supplant .308. I just believe it is here to stay and serves a legit purpose. I shoot both extensively

>(You do realize OP said 6.5 Creedmoor, right?)
[spoiler]
n-no.[/spoiler]

unironically 5.56

Creed is like cat nip for Fudds. So it;ll probably last another 2 decades until the beetus finally gets them all.

Well, I was mainly shitposting, but you're absolutely correct. Thing is that I just don't see a future in .224 because 6.5 Grendel is more common. Sure, 6.5 has (slightly IMO) inferior long-range ballistics comparatively, but the fatter bullet makes it a better proper hunting round which allows it to tap both the thousand-yard target shooter and the deer hunter markets.

To expand on the second part of my comment, more seriously this time, .300 BLK is going to die off because .458 does the same job better. If the .300 had been adopted more heavily by the military, it would probably wipe the floor with .458 sales-wise, but that wasn't the case.

The 9x19mm luger is just a fad, will be over soon.

.224 Valkyrie is actually superior to 5.56mm, it's just that the advantages aren't enough to warrant the industry switching over from 5.56mm. There is just too much inertia to warrant the switch. But .224 is a great round.

You clearly don't know what fudd means

>Sure, 6.5 has (slightly IMO) inferior long-range ballistics comparatively, but the fatter bullet makes it a better proper hunting round which allows it to tap both the thousand-yard target shooter and the deer hunter markets.
Nailed it. More barrel life than 556 and 308 as well. Off memory, I believe it also has greater range with the deeper penetrating hunting bullets if thats what you're after

I hope it does. 6.5 creedmoor in a battlerifle would be way better than 308 (granted you can't get HK91s and FALs in 6.5 creedmoor) but 6.5 creedmoor with its better ballistics and better recoil is great for a battlerifle/DMR. It just has to get popular enough with the precision shooters for the availability to go up and cost to go down before i invest in a new battlerifle.

.224V has serious industry support for whatever reason. Federal and Hornady are already producing ammo, and Stag, Savage, Wyndham, and everybody else is making rifles for it. Federal also won an industry award for the design, so I guess their analysts expect it to be the hot shit.

I want to know why there aren't more long slide service pistols in .357 Sig. The fireball out of a 4" barrel is stupid.

204 ruger had a nice time in the lime light.

I don't imagine it would be terribly difficult to convert existing battle rifles to 6.5 creedmoor. It already uses the same magazines and boltface as .308.

Doesn't seem like anyone's asking for it now that 10mm is having a second wind with handgun hunters

You're right. But I don't know who would offer Quality conversions kits (barrels and whatever else) at reasonable prices. Even if 6.5 creedmoor gets popular converting a ptr 91 would probably be really expensive. At that point ptr might just offer new models chambered in 6.5 creedmoor for a little more than a conversion. Then again I'm not an armorer it may be cheaper and easier than I think because there are barrels that are already compatible or whatever but those are the obvious obstacles I see.

This. 10mm has a wider, heavier bullet at the same velocities. There's not much of a reason to shoot .357 over 10mm.

The 7.5 FK round that is chambered in BRNO pistol is a dumb boutique round but if its specs are real it makes me wonder if others could possibly create something similar to it.

The main reason is that it fits in 9mm magwells -- that directly helps people with small hands, but also makes it an economical swap for people who already have a 9 or .40, while 10mm usually requires a whole new gun. (It's especially nice for people who bought .40 when it was hot, and are now stuck with an uncool pistol they can't sell for $200.)
A second reason is that .357sig shoots lighter bullets at the same velocity -- and thus recoils less.

>long slide service pistols in .357 Sig
Long slides just aren't that popular outside competition, so one in an unpopular cartridge is a niche of a niche. But my current dream glock is a true long-slide upper (slide made for a 6" barrel, like G24), with a 7.5" IGB barrel in .357sig, so I'm right there with you.

>The fireball out of a 4" barrel is stupid.
IDK, only .357sig I've shot is my G22 with a 6" .357 barrel, and the flash is pretty minor, so I'm sure you'd be happy with it.
But I'll be honest, quite aside from the fact that big fireballs are fun, I just don't see how it's a real problem with handguns. I've shot a G19 in .22TCM at dusk, and that little firecracker throws an absolutely delightful fireball -- but it doesn't actually blind you. I believe it would wreck fully-adapted scotopic vision, but if you're using a light, whether handheld or weapon-mounted, then you're already using photopic vision, not scotopic.
Giving away your position is a reasonable concern for a rifleman (my AR-15s all wear some sort of flash hider rather than brakes), but the overwhelming majority of handgun fights are close range affairs where all parties have a pretty good idea of everyone else's position.
I won't go so far as to suggest that a big fireball is really an advantage (+2 to all Intimidation checks!), but it strikes me as very low on the list of reasonable concerns.
Instead, I like long-slides (in every caliber) for better velocity, better pointability, and to some extent better sight radius.

6.5 CM is being adopted by the us army sooooo

>10mm
Admit it user, you made this thread to \*SUBTLETY*/ bait anons

So what's the future for 6.5 Grendel? The ballistics seem great and I have an extra lower laying around. I just really wanna see it take off in the states.

Attached: Krum-chan.jpg (1920x1080, 120K)

40.sw

>10mm
Can't tell if bait thread or semi-subtle disguised 10mm thread.

Anyhow, pic related chambered in 10mm auto is my dream pistol, and I feel absolutely no shame in admitted that.

Attached: sig p210 longslide.jpg (3008x2000, 2.91M)

no they are adopting 6.8 spc

>6.5creedmor won't survive
>he doesn't know

This is why high levels of modularity in rifles is a good thing, cause now for example with rifles that offer easy to change barrels (for example, the MDR- not saying the MDR itself is good, but that one quality is definitely cool) you'll see caliber conversations on the aftermarket that are even easier than the AR.

>6.5CM and 10mm
>shit
>not 6.5 gren and 40 shit and worthless

no its 6.5cm you sperg

I think eastern countries have already started to adopt it in small numbers, steel case ammunition is being made for a reasonable price, and I've seen a few people at the range with them. All good signs.
I'd say it's safe to invest in if thats what you want but I'd still suggest handloading to get max performance out of it.

This, 7,65 is where it's at

6.8 spc =/= 6.8 CT
Two different things.

6.5 Grendel is said to behave externally like 5.45 but with actual bullet mass for terminal effect. PSA is supposed to debut a 6.5 AK sometime in the next three months.

>PSA is supposed to debut a 6.5 AK sometime in the next three months.

Huh, this is interesting. I'll keep an eye on that, thanks user.

Attached: cutehanekawa.jpg (490x386, 36K)

.357 sig and .224 are fucking meme rounds but I would say 6.5 creed is here to stay and has been for several years now. Almost every major hunting rifle manufacturer makes rifles chambered in it and of course it is very popular with people getting into long range. It's only gonna keep getting bigger.

As other anons pointed out, 10mm is becoming more prolific and it makes sense because it is the next logical step up from 9/40/45 in terms of muzzle energy and terminal ballistics as far as autoloaders are concerned. It's great for personal defense against humans, bears, mountain lions, etc.

6.8 will be harder to say. At this point, its a niche round for AR hunters and will likely stay that way unless the rumors of military adoption actually come true one of these years.

6.5 is the new .270win or .260rem

What do you guys think the future of 6.5 grendel is?

>.224 Val
I don't really think it has a future. It's not new & different enough to stand out long term.
>6.5creedmor
here to stay, you'll be hearing more and more about it as time goes on
>6.8
will remain obscure and be forgotten, but not super fast because of it being in the spotlight a bit before it gets dropped
>357 sig
it'll always be around, in roughly the same capacity as now
>10mm
Not going anywhere, but won't ever be completely mainstream.

>What do you guys think the future of 6.5 grendel is?

I just want a goddamn 20" and 25" combat bullpup rifle in 6.5Gr, is that so much to ask?

Attached: 1521550474390.png (568x454, 367K)

You didn't ask nicely enough.

>6.5creedmor
>10mm
Those will be around for a long time
The rest will probably die. First to die from that bunch I think will be 6.8spc.
.224 will stick around longer since it's fresh and exciting, but still die. I expect .357 sig will stay around only based soley on conversions from .40 handguns.

10mm has been around for 35 years. It is just now being offered by several gun manufactures. A semi auto with revolver power is gonna be around dude.

458 Is the best thumper
And if you ain’t down with that you can git fuck outta my face
300BLACKED is going nowhere
It fills a nice crossover niche of being a pistol bullet for a rifle and a rifle bullet for a pistol. Plus, Once you start seeing Buckets o’ Bullets of it at Walmart, it’s mainstream.

Attached: 14340CC9-B358-4081-BB58-51AC98BC4AC3.jpg (500x500, 35K)

Any source to the 3 month thing?

What's wrong with the factory 224 val reamers?

For starters, They make guns shoot 224 Valk which is a mistake.