Monitor vs M14

would a similarly updated BAR of some variety been better than the M14 for NATO, or at least the US?

Attached: 52517a6.jpg (1600x379, 92K)

>tfw trying to writefag this semi-alternate WWII where one of the one of the Allied Powers decides to field magazine-loaded select fire rifles en masse after encountering the German StG 44 and by 1944 have already equipped several Airborne divisions with them.

Which one should I go with (assuming red tape and cost isn't a problem)? Right now I'm torn between the T20 (M1 Garand converted to accept BAR mags, basically a prototype M14) or a fictional version of the M2 Carbine with a full-length barrel.

Attached: M14E2.jpg (1191x887, 362K)

They don't fill the same role. The M14 was primarily an infantry rifle. The Monitor/BAR/whatever was basically a SAW.

i don't even need to tell you what the right answer would be because you already thought about it, but are also coming up with excuses why the simplest, cheapest, most reliable and most production-ready one of those would be.

>The Monitor/BAR/whatever was basically a SAW.

Attached: brain.png (936x772, 39K)

>T20
fuck me it's beautiful...

Attached: GM21-9.jpg (1200x278, 51K)

Damn right it is. Basically just a BM-59, and therefor just as sexy.

It's a select fire .30-06. Something like the R75-A would have been a massive improvement over the issued version, and honestly closer to the FAL

A better automatic rifle that what was settled for

Attached: FN model D.jpg (700x284, 30K)

Attached: ModelD.jpg (1800x695, 229K)

lol ikr

I'm drawn to the T20 because of

1. I just love the M14 from an aesthetic point of view

2. This is a country that has had a longstanding rivalry with the United States and I can use the M14 as a future plot device for showcasing that rivalry when the Vietnam War rolls around and the M16 is introduced (the M16/M14 debate takes on a semi-jingoistic element).

Attached: us marines da nang.jpg (1280x827, 103K)

Except they are MASSIVELY heavy. A Monitor weighs twice what a FAL does.

>BAR mags

T20, It makes more sense and can actually be justified if you want it to.

both were idiotic concepts so

but in terms of relative stupidity? Could america ever choose the better of two technical solutions?

Lmao no. Those things are expensive as fuck, heavy as fuck, and useless as fuck. An M14 does literally everything better from an infantryman's point of view so adopting something as different and as stupid as an HCAR or Monitor makes no sense.

Attached: CO.jpg (600x375, 25K)

NO. BARs were not completely reliable and heavy as fuck.

M14 was supposed to be a do-all role according to all the training films I watched when I bought mine. Single shot for rifleman work, full-auto for close quarters shit, a specific model for the squad machine gun role, ect.

It didn't work out that way though.

The BAR is quite inherently heavy as fuck.
Honestly if you beef up the Garand a bit you'll end up with a rifle that can perform all the functions of the BAR but with a bit less weight.

>Honestly if you beef up the Garand a bit you'll end up with a rifle that can perform all the functions of the BAR but with a bit less weight.
They tried that with the M14E2 and it wasn't successful.

There's no real niche for a low capacity automatic rifle/SAW chambered in 7.62.

The BAR was used in a role that is closest to the modern role of the SAW. It's not AS good, but it's what they had come up with and fielded at the time. The M1919 did it better.

Honestly, I think the Monitor did the BAR portion of the M-14's replacing of many infantry weapons much better than the M14 simply because the high rate of fire and the ergonomically sub-optimal configuration of the rifle defeated the purpose of having an automatic rifle that could replace the BAR.
For the purpose of the M-14, I think a lighter, closed bolt, select fire variant of the BAR would've been more controllable, and a superior option, however, simply lowering the M-14's cyclic rate and adding a pistol grip instead of a semi-grip would've ALSO vastly improved performance.

>A Monitor weighs twice what a FAL does.
6.0 kg (13.2 lb) (Colt Monitor)
FAL 50.00: 4.3 kg (9.48 lb)

Attached: big_1496148706_image.jpg (1280x720, 67K)

What fucking country is this

Better not be Canada

Bar:1918 m249 saw:1984

As a standard service rifle? God no. The BAR is way, WAY heavier and doesn’t really offer anything more. The correct thing to do would have been to adopt the FAL. It’s a better Battle Rifle in every way.
>t.-someone who owns a real full auto M14

This. I had my full-fun M-14 in anE2 configuration and it sucked. The pistol grip was nice, but the bipod sucked, the weird sling/folding foregrip thing was kinda shit, and it just doesn’t do the “squad support” role well.

I managed to convince buddy to flip me the original GI stock it was in (it had sentimental value to him), and the bone stock configuration is better in literally every way.

Attached: 067D4C4A-31F8-48FC-AC51-7C6463220255.jpg (1536x2048, 714K)

Attached: Neva ben dun befo.jpg (622x447, 174K)

I'm surprised no one whipped out his Johnson

Attached: johnson lmg.jpg (1024x561, 47K)

Well yeah they dropped it because they realized that a BAR'esque rifle is fucken useless.

That Johnson makes my Johnson the big Johnson. Does that make me gay?

I'll give you a hint, it's below Canada, above Mexico, and ceased to exist nearly a century prior to WWII.

Attached: US Navy SEAL Desert Storm M14.jpg (800x536, 54K)

Did it only exist for about ten years before getting annexed by the US or did it exist for about five years before losing a war to the US.

Literally the most gorgeous firearm I've ever seen. Thank you, user

Attached: Garand Johnson.jpg (600x800, 38K)

The Republic of Texas?

No, that means you have good taste.

Attached: tfw no confederacy.gif (645x773, 17K)

this
or this

Attached: ConcernIntensifies.jpg (2085x2339, 1.21M)

Why didn't the US make a heavy barrel M14?

Based and redpilled

>I posted without reading any of the other posts: the post

The latter.

So close that your guess actually started a fire with the residual heat.

DING DING DING DING

See It's a timeline where the South won the American Civil War and the Confederate States of America joins the Allied Powers, declaring war on Nazi Germany in May, 1941. Seven months before Pearl Harbor and the United States' entry into the war.

Attached: Spring Fire Dale Gallon.png (1000x651, 1.35M)

>a fictional version of the M2 Carbine with a full-length barrel.
I'll do you one better (worse)

Attached: 121.png (1300x308, 242K)

Now give it magazines that aren't one time use.

What's this?

M1A1 carbine + late-/post-war adjustable sights and bayonet lug + 30 round magazine + the stock of a normal M1 grafted on in paint + barrel stretched also in paint

Heavier and far more complex than the M14. Chambered in a heavier round as well. I get that it's cool to hate on the M14 now but come on this is taking it a bit far. Let the poor BAR rest in peace.

Attached: 1537049756685.jpg (1500x1159, 102K)

just posting this here as not to inflict it on a non-shit thread

Attached: Bullpup BAR.jpg (600x191, 18K)

This does strange things to my benis. Where can I find out more?