How useful would a crossbow be in the coming civil world war (modern or traditional, irrelevant)...

How useful would a crossbow be in the coming civil world war (modern or traditional, irrelevant), and what would be the best way to use it?

Attached: crossbow-a7e7ff-1600.jpg (1600x925, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uL4vnolCwLI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

best way to use it would be to sneak up on someone with a gun, kill them, and take their gun because literally anything would be better than a crossbow

Attached: 1534810829461.png (362x259, 156K)

Absolutely useless. It'll be better to have black powder guns then a crossbow. Most arrows and bolts break after some training and accidentally not hitting the soft target to cushion the fall so unless you have a large hoard of bolts and can make them yourself and you only plan on hunting small game, then you'll be ok until you meet someone with a gun.

>tl:dr
This guy will sneak up on you and shoot you

I think a good bow would be more useful. but I'd rather have a crossbow than nothing.

I wonder if one could make an incendiary crossbow bolt...

I'd imagine that It would be a good choice if you wanna go sneeki breeki innawoods and be a hermit without being spotted.

If you're going to go to war with a crossbow, don't go to war; unless you're looking for a really creative way to commit suicide.

fair, but let's say I'm in England or some other eurotrash country and ghouls are running around unarmoured with machetes. Is it even sensible to use a ranged weapon in such a situation or would that only make people gang up on you?

Then for the love of God, get a crossbow and train.

Crossbows would be just useless. It's a pain to move around, a pain to rearm (literally). Don't forget that despite the "muh it'll pierce armor at 500 yards", these weapons are incredibly low powered compared to firearms. A modern compound bow will developp around 70 joules, to make a comparison the little .25 ACP produces around... 80-90 joules. A modern compound crossbow can produce at most around 140-150 joules. Which is on par with subsonic .22lr. .32 ACP, considered by some as an 'anemic cartridge', will give you between 180-240 joules. A black powder .44 revolver fully loaded, like a remington 1858, is able to deliever around 300 joules. Which is proximately what you'd get out of a .380 ACP pistol.

Conclusion : you should rather look into BP replicas. Or just buy a bolt action .22 and put some sort of suppressor on it if you want to be silent.

So... like says, it should only be used to kill someone to take its gun.

Oh and by the way, if the arrow hits some hard materials, don't expect to be able to reuse it.

>I wonder if one could make an incendiary crossbow bolt...

They saw quit a bit of use back in the day, mostly in sieges and the like to burn things down, their effect on people probably wouldn't have been all that great.

Here are a few incendiary bolts form the second half of the 15th century. You have a small, barbed head to get stuck in wood so the incendiaries get time to do their thing. Then a long, thin neck around which fabric or cord is wrapped. This would then be soaked with an incendiary mixture, allowed to dry, and given a coating. Chemical analysis of these bolts have given a composition for the main mix of 83.5% saltpetre, 13.7% sulphur and 2.8% charcoal. The outer coating consisted of 88% sulphur, 10.4% saltpetre and 1.6% charcoal.

Attached: Brandbolzen. 1 kl.jpg (211x500, 20K)

Mate, you should come here in France and grab some BP revolvers, they are just restricted to -18 yo. They're not even registered. The same goes for blackpowder.

I mean I get that they'd be way less effective for general use than an actual firearm, but are much more accessible than suppressors and I'd assume they are pretty quiet? Could have some super specialized use for ambushes.
Would still rather have a gun though.

>Don't forget that despite the "muh it'll pierce armor at 500 yards", these weapons are incredibly low powered compared to firearms
While there's no denying the superiority of firearms, simply looking at the energies exaggerates the differences quite substantially in the firearms favour here. Penetration, at least through thicker mediums (so a body, as opposed to a thin plate or fabric layer) appear sot be tied to momentum rather than energy, and if we have a light and fats projectile and a heavy but slow one with the same momentum, then the light one will have the greater energy of the two. We can further help the bow or crossbow against many targets by using sharpened broadheads, allowing them to cut their way through instead of having to crush and tear a path.

Attached: Brandbolzen. 2 kl.jpg (500x541, 36K)

Alternative head design. The metal vanes and small metal plate over the butt end means that this bolt wasn't meant for a crossbow, but to be launched by handgonne or cannon.

Testing of incendiary arrows with a longbow: youtube.com/watch?v=uL4vnolCwLI

Attached: Büchsen-Brandpfeil, März 2011, ~1330. 1 kl.jpg (1200x174, 36K)

A hunting broadhead is no joke. Let's go deer hunting, I'll take a crossbow and you can have a .25 ACP.

Cannon sized.

Attached: Brandpfeil. 1a.jpg (1037x1100, 196K)

Attached: Slg.RalfMaier,5 IncendiaryQuarrels.23 kl.jpg (940x609, 80K)

I don’t have any biases against them, but in a practical point of view you would be better off learning with a bow, crossbows require much more maintenance and take much longer to shoot, even the modern ones. Bows tend to be a little more accurate as well, but both don’t really hold much of a candle against guns.
>pretty quiet
No, you’ll still hear those arrows.
>crossbows
Double no.

wow that's sick. tyvm user.

Illustration showing manufacture of incendiary bolts, 1442.

Attached: Feuerwerkbuch.1442.3 kl 1.jpg (450x280, 33K)

Attached: Feuerwerkbuch.1442.2 kl 1.jpg (500x369, 38K)

And use.

Attached: Feuerwerkbuch, Hauslab, 1442. 2a.jpg (711x1100, 236K)