New gun

Hey Jow Forums any suggestions for a poor college student to buy a gun that isn't something only a Fudd would take seriously, a .22 or a Mosin Nagant? I'm on a budget of $450 for the gun, cleaning supplies, ammunition etc.

Attached: 458Garand.jpg (640x480, 74K)

Just get a savage axis in .223 . Ammo is pretty cheap right now. Or get a basic bitch AR.

Probably my best bet desu

AR kit if you'll have more money for ammo later. 10/22 if you want a big stockpile to start out.

Maverick 88, bore snake, can of Ballistol, $100 of cheap target shells, $50 of #4 buck for home defense, $50 of 00 buck for riot control.

Oddly specific but I'll consider it

Get a shotgun.
>bird hunting
>slugs for other types of hunting
>skeet shooing
>ammo is cheap
>gun is easy to maintain/store
>perfect home defense gun
>qt3.14 won’t flip out because people aren’t scared of shotguns like they are handguns or big black rifles

>Already have a qt3.14 who loves guns
So I guess that leaves me some wiggle room with the looks of the gun

Bear Creek Arsenal and Palmetto State are go-to places for sub-$400 AR’s

An old 870 is hard to go wrong with and cheap as hell

Police Trade-in Glocks are like $400

SKS or basic bitch AR

Budget AR-15. All of these other things people are suggesting aren't bad guns, they just aren't good choices for someone with a limited budget. An AR-15 is the most practical choice for virtually anything that isn't bird hunting, large dangerous game hunting, or concealed carry. They're also incredibly easy to maintain and have some of the best ergonomics of any rifle.

You can get an AR or Mini-14 for around $400 if you really shop carefully. Something in .22lr is a perfect starting gun but it's not a great "only gun" if that's what you're looking for, and a .22 plus a real rifle will go over budget.

I'd say a Mosin isn't a great only gun either. Low quality, goofy ergonomics, long, more recoil than a smaller round. Their appeal is that they're cheap-ish, but these says they're not that cheap and their ammo costs more than .223.

Depends on what he wants it for. Shotguns aren't good range or target guns and he's gotta find a place to shoot skeet.

If your budget is $450 and you aren't going to be adding money to that soon after for ammo, then you're going to want something in .22lr. What specific gun you choose would depend on what you want in particular as there are a ton of choices here.

If you want a Mosin Nagant because you want a Mosin Nagant, then that isn't necessarily a bad choice. However, if you're looking at a Mosin Nagant due to cost, keep in mind that they aren't the deal that they once were and ammo now costs ~$.45 a round rather than ~$.20 if you're buying in bulk.

If you're going to consider an AR-15, then you really are going to want to consider ammo costs, especially if you're including ammo in that $450 budget. A full magazine worth of .223 will set you back $6 for low quality steel cased ammunition or about $10 for decent quality brass cased ammunition, and that's if you're buying it in bulk online. Also consider that you can very easily go through that ammunition very quickly when compared to a bolt action rifle when shooting a semi auto rifle. Remember that buying ammo is most costly part of shooting and will cost you just as much as your gun in a short amount of time if you shoot regularly, especially if you shoot anything semi auto that isn't chambered in .22lr.

If you're going to consider a modern bolt action rifle like the Savage Axis or Ruger American, then you need to keep in mind that those do not have sights and that a decent scope that won't lose zero if the rifle falls over when leaning up against your wall along with mounting hardware can add a good bit to the price. Also consider that .223 (along with 7.62x39mm though there aren't many bolt guns chambered in that) is the cheapest option, you should only go with .308 if you really need more power, and any other option should be ignored due to cost per round as it goes up quickly from there. Also, you should never choose a gun that shoots more expensive ammo because the gun itself is cheaper, especially when it comes to caliber intended for hunting, as your ammo costs will quickly make up for any money you saved on the gun.

>can add a good bit to the price.
It depends on what his purpose is. I shoot under 100 yards with a scope because my eyes are fucked and I can't afford glasses. My $20 walmart scope has worked quite well for that purpose.

This, if you want to get new.

Cry fudd if you want but it's way better to practice on than a Mosin or a .22.

If you look used you have some other options in a rifle, like old mini-14's, which are a little better if you want to also be able to defend your home with it but not as good for training your marksmanship.

If you want a shotgun, Mav88. Great for home defense, and you can shoot trap, which is legitimately the most fun shooting sport imo.

For a pistol, look used. Sure you could get an SD9VE or something but you will outgrow it quickly.

>My $20 walmart scope has worked quite well for that purpose.
What gun and how long have you been shooting it? Unless that's on a .22 rifle, that scope isn't going to last you very long at all and will most likely lose zero from something as simple as having your rifle fall over when leaning it against a wall, if the zero doesn't already wander from simply shooting the gun. This is coming from someone who bought shitty scopes when they first got into shooting and realized how much of a waste they were due to how easily they lost zero, and I really didn't shoot over 100 yards. I ended up just using iron sights for years after and still prefer them to this day because of those experiences.

I don't shoot over 100 yards. Hardly over 60. It's a shitty 702 plinkster but works well enough for me. Put maybe 100-150 rounds through it like that and occasionally dropped it and seems to have worked out fine. I would use the iron sights but my eyes are absolute garbage. Utterly trash.

This is an excellent option op

If you shoot sub 150 yards and want cheap/abundant ammo and a rifle, I'd suggest a .30-30. Good take down power in its given range and ammo can be had for cheap everywhere.

The .270 & .308 are both good choices as well, I guess it just depends on what you'd be doing with it as a broke college kid. As a broke college kid myself I'm also in the market for a deer rifle and while .270 & .308 have been harvesting food for quite some time, where I hunt, I'd rarely get a shot further than 75 -100 yards, so those calibers are a little over kill, for now and the .30-30 suits my needs just fine.

It'll also be my first rifle, otherwise I have a 12 & 20 gauge and a single shot .410 bore. All great.

Stop recommending rifles without irons as a first gun