Looking at buying a Russian Mosin. Might be able to pick it up for sub 250. Tell me. Would I be better off buying a...

Looking at buying a Russian Mosin. Might be able to pick it up for sub 250. Tell me. Would I be better off buying a .308 for low ammo prices? Are nugget ammo prices going to continue rising?
>pic not related
>shitty Chinese mosin

Attached: 0EE730E9-1E8D-413F-9187-DF8FD371C9A8.jpg (1024x330, 23K)

Honestly don't.
308 steel case is leaps and bounds cheaper (like $100 less per thousand) and there are far better, more accurate guns chambered in it. Even 30-06 steel is cheaper. Get a T/C Compass for $250 with optic included, easily more accurate and cheaper to plink with than that.

Nugget surplus ammo is done, so ammo is going to be pretty close to .308/7.62x51. You're looking at like 40cpr for steel case bullshit, or maybe 60-70cpr for brass.

If you want a nugget, get a nugget. If you just want "a gun" though, get anything else.

>Would I be better off buying a .308 for low ammo prices?
Yes. The Savage Axis exists for a reason.
>Are nugget ammo prices going to continue rising?
Yes.

Attached: Mosin-Man_somewhere_in_the_Ukraine.jpg (1536x2048, 418K)

308 steel case is readily available at 35 CPR, Mosin ammo is 45

Both trips, nice. Yeah, I didn’t know Mosin ammo jumped that much. What would you guys go with in .308? I wanna be sub 300 like with cheap surplus shit, but the only thing I can find around 300 is a Savage Axis and Remington shit tier, and I heard they’re all shit. Should I buy a Mossberg 100 ATR with the fixed internal mag (I like that), or go with something still in production?

See I thought the Axis was shit.

No it's a pretty good gun. Shit gets sub moa accuracy out of the box, and doesn't have a garbage bolt throw, build quality and wear of a hundred year old throwaway firearm.

Honestly any 308 rifle will be good, but apparently the Savage trigger is much nicer than the trigger on the T/C Compass. Though, the Compass has a threaded barrel.
There are also AR-10s.

That’s a pretty good point... lol never thought of it that way. So what should I pay for the Axis?
I’ll check out the T/C also. I’m really looking for a bolt action. Don’t have one yet.

If you're looking for precision though, and want to shoot cheap ammo, 308 isn't for you. The steel case stuff is decent, but it's nowhere near as good as even the lowest grade "match" ammo or premium hunting stuff. It'll make for a good blaster though.

I don’t particularly care about shooting 1” groups at 100 yards. I just want a bolt gun that’s cheap to shoot and on par with old military bolt guns, if that makes sense. Think LARPing with a modern gun and ammo.

Check on Black Friday for one of those or a Thomson compass. They'll show up for ~200-250 with or without glass.

Are Non-Corrosive Copper cases any good? Is case type that important? Canadian /noguns/ here, I'd like to know before I buy it in bulk from chinks.

I’m really glad you mentioned that. Academy sends out sales papers soon. Plus Thanksgiving is right around the corner. Which would you recommend? T/C or Axis?

I have no idea as I'm a US fag and we don't get ammo from the Chinese. Then again, ammo may be way cheaper there. Look around. That Mosin may actually be a decent investment.

No idea on Copper jackets for cartridges? All I hear about is steel and brass. Is cartridge metal that important?

Oh no copper jacketed projectiles are good news. The usual stuff has a bi-metal jacket which will wear the barrel ever so slightly more. But copper jacket will usually cost more.

I've got a Savage 110 with the accutrigger, and it's absolutely fantastic, but you can't go wrong either way. It's like deciding between an m&p9 and a Glock. Sure there's a few differences but in theory they're indiscernible. Academy is the move, fantastic institution.

My Savage

Attached: IMG_20181018_133257001_HDR.jpg (4032x2171, 1.16M)

>auto 5
my nigga
how much and what year

It's a remington 11 from 1913 and I got it for 150 ~7 months ago I believe.

Great, chinks got a fuckton of boxes of this stuff at around 0.28$USD. Seems like this hobby is cheaper in Canada.

That savage does look pretty nice.

Yeah mines in .270 as I really like the cartridge, but .308 is a great idea if you're just plinking and want cheap ammo.

Almost bought a nugget because muh cheap surp ammo but once the surp runs out this is the shit I'd have to deal with. Decided against in the end

Attached: S&B prices.png (1015x484, 379K)

I heavily recommend the Axis. Its a fantastic, accurate gun. Honestly, unless you're hunting big game, you should go for .223. Its much cheaper ammo if you're just plinking. Have you ever shot a .308 or .223 bolt action? .308 isn't *too* much kick but .223 is much more bearable to shoot all evening.

Are you anywhere near Columbus, South Carolina? My friend has an M38 he's selling around $250.

Columbia*

don't forget about the rebate!

Hell yeah, I’ll deffinatly remember that. Anybody know how much they offer? Remington always has rebates, but I can never find the amount.

Savage did one for $100 I believe around last Christmas. It put AXIS at $179 post rebate. Pretty good.

>forged old gun with history, made for combat

>cast and plastic modern hunting rifle made with the intent of seeing less than 500 rounds through it during a lifetime

desu honest i won't considered budget hunting guns viable until i see a 5000 round style akou test with them lasting with maintaining head space

you're absolutely retarded

Attached: 36086372_2004734539545351_974031624192655360_n.jpg (320x247, 20K)

if you think a mosin is better than any modern bolt action rifle I'm gonna assume you played too much world at war

Mosins are pretty shit. Buy a modern rifle.

...Neither of those are trips you moron. Trips are at the END.

Attached: cE1poLTCkfBab_wK6_u3fw9b9yPKiOPGwuJhOHmit28.jpg (783x767, 151K)

>mfw I'm sitting on about 600 rounds of nugget ammo that came pre-loaded on stripper clips in the grey boxes that I bought for 13 cpr
>I also have about 1000 rounds of silver tip I got for around 11 cpr
>I haven't shot my 91/30 in years because despite my best efforts boiling parts and using a drill with a brush the bolt is still sticky after firing and the fucking thing is 4 feet long and kinda sucks to shoot

I should have bought an m38 or m44 when they were $250, and/or I should have bought a PSL or x54r VEPR when they were still under $700

Attached: IMG_0323.jpg (3264x2448, 2.44M)

Have you checked the headspace, magazine, and the chamber for burrs?

>i love cheap commercial unproven garbage

if it cost 299$ new and fires a full power cartridge, corners were cut somewhere retards
>they are just banking on the fact it will never have enough rounds put through it for problems to arise

>don't buy cheap mass produced rifles made for the lowest common denominator
>buy a mosin nagant instead
Loving Every Laugh

The Savage Axis and T/C Compass are not unproven garbage
I own both a T/C Compass and a Mosin. The Mosin is the garbage rifle. The T/C is very accurate with handloaded 30-06. And I've fired close to 500 rounds through it. Johnny's Reloading Bench has fired thousands through his.

I've shot a .308 in semi auto, and I have a 20” AR in 5.56/.223. I agree that a .223 bolty would be cheaper to shoot, plus I could just use the same ammo, but at the same time I’d like to have a full powered rifle round. I could hunt deer, but also have a military LARP round.

OP here. Boy, World at War.. that takes me back...

Attached: 6C4F3544-E59A-4B82-B353-DFABCE98D33D.png (1136x640, 954K)

If you absolutely must have a Mosin get either a Finnish M28 or the Russian M44.

Make sure the rifle has their accu trigger. There are cheap axis models that dont.