Looking for input

Tldr; I don't know shit about handguns, what would be a good one to start with?

A little backstory: Originally from Europe, have lived in the US for almost 20 years. My old man recently got himself a handgun, and told me if I was interested, he'd be open to get me one as a Christmas gift this year.

I don't know shit about the different makers/brands, best ammo types for which purposes, dependability, etc. The only things I know are basic gun safety (trigger discipline, don't point one at anything you don't intend to shoot, triple check safety and if chamber is clear, keep guns and ammo separate). A complete fucking idiot when it comes to guns, basically

I've tried reading up online and on different forums, but it all seems very subjective. I'm familiar with Jow Forums's autism and trust it more so than other forums'. I realize this will be subjective feedback as well, but regardless. Would appreciate y'all's input.

The intend use would be taking it to a range, possibly get a CCW in the future, and home defense (inb4 shotguns. I don't wanna scrub some crackhead's entrails from my carpets).

I personally find 1911's to be the most a e s t h e t i c handgun, but that's just a preference and solely based on appearance.

So Jow Forums, what would you recommend?

Attached: M1911A1.png (300x188, 64K)

Go to a range in your area that does rentals. Shoot everything you can, then buy your favorite.

What you can reasonably conceal depends on what you wear and how big you are. I would recommend buying a full size handgun and learning to shoot it well, then buying a second smaller gun if you decide to cc later.

Just get a 1911. Only use FMJ if you want them to be reliable, though.

.45ACP is wide enough that you don't really need an expanding hollowpoint.

Can we ban shitty rec threads and encourage lurking moar like other boards such as /a/ do? Same with Jow Forums not being your personal tech support or personal consumer review site. At the very least, you people could post questions in the designated "questions that don't deserve their own thread" thread and stop shitting up the catalog with these low quality rec threads.

I'd recommend getting a 1911. Get a good one, either in 10mm or the traditional 45 auto. Personally, I'd go 10mm because it's a better cartridge, but at least in my area it's more expensive. Ruger makes a good 1911, from what I've heard.

>Go to a range in your area that does rentals. Shoot everything you can, then buy your favorite.
fpbp

Coming from someone who bought a 1911 as his first gun... It's a terrible first gun. Just buy a Glock 19 unless you are dead set on a 1911 for autism purposes like I was.

I bought it as my first gun. I thought it was a great first gun. My next three handgun purchases were 1911s, too. Just buy a 1911, user, Dan Wesson is a good first brand.

Appreciate the feedback, Jow Forums. I'll take user's advice on going the rental route to figure out to find what works best for me. Starting off with different 1911's.

Some folks have work during the day, and shit to do at night. I've tried lurking, but dont have enough hours in my day to learn the jargon and sort genuine opinions from memes and shitpostings. Fuckin scroll on by.

It is pretty much strictly for autism purposes that I prefer that model. Been fascinated with both WW's since I was a kid, and thought it was the most simple yet artful design for a handgun.

Thanks for the input, user. Anything about Dan Wessons specifically that make it a good first gun in your opinion or is that just what you found when comparing it to your other 1911's?

DWs have just about the best quality to price ratio, as far as 1911s go. They'll last longer and are more durable since they are tool steel. Come with match barrels/nice triggers, all that kinda stuff. Hand-fitted, too, at a price just a bit above the Colts/Sigs/Springfields. This combo also kinda make you look like a better shooter when you're first starting out. Just watch a few vids on maintaining 1911s. Not too hard.

Not that user, but I'll help answer. He probably recommended Dan Wesson because they make good 1911s that aren't just overpriced garbage (*cough* Kimber *cough*).

Don't know what your budget is, but I recommend the Ruger SR1911 as the best sub-$1,000 1911. The stainless model is great.

Yeah I've watched videos on maintenance and it seems pretty straight forward. Only downside is the price range. I'm looking at $500-700. I'll definitely keep Dan Wesson in mind in the future, though, since like you and said, it's quality stuff.

Don't be rude. We should encourage people to ask for any and all recommendations, especially if they are new to firearms. Who cares if they make a thread for it or don't.

Likely fine with the Ruger, then. I see mostly positive reviews on them.

I appreciate all the feedback, anons. It's given me a good place to start looking. Have a good night

Rock Island Armory is another good 1911 brand. 5-7 bennys is a good range because it covers basically all decent pistols. Some other brands of note:
>Beretta
>Glock
>Walther
>H&K
>CZ
Note that none of those really put out a 1911 worth any interest, but it's best to have some variety when you're trying things out

About recommendations for a left-handed shooter? I was looking into the Ruger American but the slide release feels horrible.

i'd rather get someone interested in firearms to ask questions. Instead of having to worry about assholes like (you)

Glock and Beretta produce very southpaw-friendly handguns. The newer CZs are also quite good, though the things I find work best for me like their SP-01 are quite large

Look into the Steyr L9 series, most left-handed friendly gun I've ever shot. Slide catch isn't ambi, but every other control on the gun is very minimalistic which leads to easy operation with either hand

why does Jow Forums hate FN? I know they only have ~4? handgun models on the market but they're damn good.
>inb4 that squish guy comes around