Breaking in barrels

Are breaking in barrels a meme? I'm researching the PTR91 before I buy one, and I'm seeing talk of having to shoot ~200 rounds through the rifle in order to "break it in" and shoot tight groupings.
Can someone enlighten me on this?

Attached: benchmark2x350.jpg (350x245, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pOtwgaFaJZQ
sniperforums.com/forum/off-topic/44655-gale-mcmillian-barrel-break.html
sniperforums.com/forum/rifles/16385-do-you-break-rifles-come-accuracy-garauntee.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm calling BS. I just bought a heavy barreled AR 10 in .308 Win and within a box of ammo it was shooting one inch groups at a hundred yards.

Theres breaking in the gun and breaking in the barrel. Breaking in the gun is essentially making sure all the moving parts function properly and smoothing out action parts to improve relisble function. Breaking in a barrel doesn't really improve accuracy, at most it will smooth out tooling imperfections that will make future bore cleaning easier.

for example, this seems like an extreme case and I feel like there's something the guy isn't telling us

youtube.com/watch?v=pOtwgaFaJZQ

it used to be a thing before modern coatings and metallurgy. best thing to do is shoot it to break in the moving parts like user bro

>Are breaking in barrels a meme?
yes

>starting magdumpping towards the end
>rifle works fine

Attached: 1342146266175.png (142x138, 2K)

Barrel break in is bullshit. Just shoot it.

I always run a patch or two through a new gun to get rid of the carbon from factory test firing and the lint from packing materials, but that's me being clean.

Following some breaking in "procedure" to make your barrel accurate is bullshit. Guns a whole eventually "break in" but that's just metal on metal contact polishing the moving parts.

Actions need breaking in. Procedures are garbage though. Just shoot it until it works like it’s supposed to. Barrel break in just makes cleaning a hair easier supposedly. If you bought a gun that needs a barrel break in to smooth tooling marks, you bought a cheap gun. My Tikka shoots sub moa groups with any ammo I feed it and is cleaned extremely easily. My Remington holds a 2 inch group on a good day and is impossible to move all the copper fouling out of the barrel. Just buy a good gun and shoot it.

I shoot two rounds, then pull the bolt out and clean with copper solvent, brush, run dry patches until they come out clean, then smear jeweler’s rouge on a patch on a Parker Hale jag and make 30 back and forth strokes.

Then shoot 3 shots and repeat the cleaning/polishing procedure. Then repeat again a final time. This kills the tool marks and makes cheap barrels perform like hand lapped cut rifled barrels.

back and forth strokes with rouge
>>repeat a few times

So what you're saying is that if you hand-lap a barrel it performs like a hand-lapped barrel? Thanks for stating the obvious.

I had a gunsmithing book that talked about this. It was pretty fuddy, but it talked about doing this mostly for more precision-oriented rifles (competition, hunting,) and the reason was to simply assure there wasn't anything wrong with the rifle when you needed it. Smoothing out imperfections, assuring there was no pitting or whatever, pretty much what said.

tl;dr It's fuddlore, at best.

Barrels are best broken in by soaking them in water for 1 week prior to shooting.

1st post.
>sniperforums.com/forum/off-topic/44655-gale-mcmillian-barrel-break.html
5th post
>sniperforums.com/forum/rifles/16385-do-you-break-rifles-come-accuracy-garauntee.html

its a ptr-91, its not going to shoot "tight groupings". breaking in barrels is a benchrest or precision rifle thing.

I bought a bull barrel for my 10/22. I just decided to try doing it and followed the instructions that came with it.

Attached: IMG_5061.jpg (3264x2448, 2.38M)

And this was 10 shots at 50 yards. So I'm kinda thinking it does work but this is the first aftermarket barrel I have ever bought so this may just be normal.

Attached: IMG_0779.jpg (4032x3024, 2.38M)

What ammo? Was it lapped?

Wait... you paid $20 more for a barrel than an entire Marlin 795 and got marginally better groups?
>c
>u
>c
>k

>fire hundreds of rounds
>frequently jams, broken firing pin, trash components

>What ammo?
It was CCI Mini Mag HP's 36 grain (store bought)

>Was it lapped?
don't know.

ok

Well there is also the method where fudds would wipe some oil down the barrel every few shots for the first 20 or more. Maybe if you had a very precise barrel and you wanted to try and make sure it started to wear evenly, MAYBE it could have some very small impact of the length of barrel life (in terms of accuracy) for extreme precision applications

Any other time there are so many other variables at play that it's not going to have an effect, especially since modern manufacturing means metals are more durable and wear resistant

I can see why someone might consider it for a target bull barreled PTR, since it has a nice barrel, but it's pointless since the design isn't that accurate.

Owned one for 2 years...just killed my first deer with it this week...takes about 200 Ed’s to get good groups because that’s how long it takes to learn how to properly use it. 200 reds to train....G3 pattern rifles don’t need breaking in.

I've heard it said that competition guys like to shoot a barrel in for a bit before using it. Something about getting it to a mid point of wear so that the poi stops shifting? I don't have any idea if this works or not, I just go shoot my new guns and clean them like normal when I'm done, never worried about barrel break in and so far everything seems fine.