Why aren't illegal firearms more often found shipped through the mail?

Why aren't illegal firearms more often found shipped through the mail?
In isolation, most firearm parts aren't especially recognizable, especially not without closer inspection. And if they are intercepted, the cost is virtually zero compared to having a courier intercepted.
Yet most guns are shipped by car or bus, fully assembled. What gives?

Attached: 1530123212637.jpg (1024x769, 91K)

good question

Probably logistical; not wanting to deal with dozens or hundreds of packages depending on the quantity of illegal weapons being shipped.

Because the smart criminals work on wall street.

>not wanting to deal with dozens or hundreds of packages

You can hide a lot of them within an air gun or even "realistic" knockoff nerf gun without anyone getting suspicious.

OP's pic would need to be shipped inside four products, tops.

>Why aren't illegal firearms more often found shipped through the mail?
>found
maybe that's the answer?

That actually is how some illegal gun trafficking happens, although some parts are recognizable and customs do screen for them. For instance barrels are pretty obvious and pick up on x-ray scans, they are also typically one of the more expensive and difficult to fabricate parts of a gun.

or two power supplies.

Good point. They probably are but they're never found because the parts are so easily disguised.

Because they're just not found, end of story. The darknet markets are a billion dollar industry and all those drugs are shipped USPS.
USPS is literally don't ask don't tell, pack it well enough and nobody will ever find out what you shipped and fat Susan at your local office doesn't want the hassle of looking for and finding guns and drugs.

Pretty much this. Most street criminals are incredibly stupid and just plain incompetent.

Because thats not what the mail system is more concerned with.

Wires, powders, and explosives are their main concerns. Oddly shaped metal, not as big of a priority.

However, if its gun shaped, then things get interesting. If you send just the frame, small parts, and a barrel, no one would notice. Same with the slide and some other parts.

Hell, I’ve literally mailed my can to myself before, because I ran out of room in my pelican. I threw in other random shit, and it arrived just fine. Same with liquor.

>For instance barrels are pretty obvious
Really? Can't you just stick them into the handle of pretty much anything?

For large enterprises, couldn't they employ legitimate logistics companies to do it? I don't see why a truck driver would look closely enough at the cargo to distinguish a barrel from any other metal pipe.
Wouldn't it be easier to just declare them as something else? Then you could ship more guns per package.
Do they? Does a gun barrel noticeably differ from a pipe of the same metal and thickness?

this
why being a drug dealer is hella easy

Only allowed for false flags, citizen

Being a dealer is not easy dumbass, 90% of dealers dont even make it pass their first year.

t. dumbass

Are we playing the assumption game now?

What do you mean by illegal firearms? Everything in your pic can be legally shipped except for the lower assembly.

>Do they? Does a gun barrel noticeably differ from a pipe of the same metal and thickness?
YES.
Now whether or not someone bothers to look is the real question.

Most people don't know the 4th amendment applies to us. We aren't allowed to open your mail unless it's media mail, which is only for books and CD's. I've seen drugs go through the mail for years. We usually catch it and let postal inspectors deal with it. I see plenty of guns go through legally. I haven't seen any illegal ones yet though.

>t. Postal worker

How would you know the difference unless you opened it.

I’m sure it wouldn’t be labeled illegal gun parts.

The only portion of a "gun" that is legally considered a firearm is the serialized portion. In most cases this translates into the frame (contra, sig p320). As such, you can send any non-serialized portion legally.

Unless it’s international it wouldn’t be an issue.

People are fucking stupid. Last week I found a bag of weed and pills in a regular legal sized envelope. It was unsealed and it fell right out of the envelope. I really don't doubt Tyrone would send a Hi Point in a padded envelope.

Serial number, or in some cases lack thereof if it is a ghost gun. But it is a federal felony to tamper with the mail.

True in the US. Most countries have a system where pressure-bearing parts such as bolts and barrels are restricted.

Did you at least take the fucking wee?

I would've taken the weed.

How? The rifling? Isn't that easy to fill in?

Have you niggers ever seen a pistol barrel? They aren't pieces of tubing.

Why would you be looking at the serial in the first place? You would need a reason to open the package for that.

>easy to fill in
What the fuck? What are you going to fill it in with and how would that disguise the profile on an x-ray?

Attached: beretta 92 parts.gif (801x1024, 28K)

That's only true in the US. In some European countries, slide, frame, and barrel are all illegal.
The frame can be manufactured, but slide and barrel can't, unless we're talking an extremely well-organized group.

Attached: 1538729312144.jpg (2048x1536, 634K)

Inspectors are known for setting people up. I'm not losing my $60k air conditioned job for $20 worth of dirt weed.

Isn't the rifling the hard part to manufacture? A rifled barrel without anything sticking out, how hard would it be for a clandestine manufacturer to add the parts needed to affix it to the pistol?
>What are you going to fill it in with and how would that disguise the profile on an x-ray?
I thought you meant the rifling was recognizable.

In the US, there's probably tens of thousands of gun parts shipped daily, it's legal. I had a full AR kit shipped right to my house, minus the lower. If you x-rayed it, it would look like a firearm. But I've never heard of a shipment getting intercepted or searched.

Even an 80% lower is legal to have sent to you. Do you think someone looking at an x-ray could tell the difference between an 80% lower and a full one? Or a Polymer80 and a Glock frame? Doubt it.

Attached: 13007190_1141362645895286_1996699295701931319_n-889x700.jpg (889x700, 50K)

>A rifled barrel without anything sticking out
>how hard would it be for a clandestine manufacturer to add the parts needed to affix it to the pistol
LOOK at the barrel indicated in my diagram and the one in OP's picture. There is nothing "attached" to it. The barrel is a single machined piece that includes the necessary cuts so it can tilt in the pistol. In the Beretta's case it's fixed, but it has a block machined into the barrel profile for that purpose.

>I thought you meant the rifling was recognizable.
The earlier post was not me, but yes the rifling could potentially be seen on an x-ray although I kinda doubt it myself. If the machine could see the rifling then you would need something with a density similar to steel's to fill it in.

I think everyone here is overestimating the market for illegal firearms. Your market is someone who needs a fully automatic firearm, suppressor, or short barreled rifle. Also that person has to have the money to pay at least a 25% mark up. And that person has to have no way to purchase those things legally. So a criminal. You guy watch too many movies. Most career criminals are broke and make less than the average McDonald's worker. People aren't shipping illegal guns because there's virtually no market for them.

I never said there was anything attached to it. All I'm asking is that if you were to remove them, how hard would it be to re-attach them? The structural integrity requirements have to be an order of magnitude less than for the inside of the barrel.
Also, this is mostly applicable for pistol barrels - rifle barrels don't tend to have as many clearly protruding parts.

>If the machine could see the rifling then you would need something with a density similar to steel's to fill it in.
Yes. For instance, tin would work, or a lead-tin alloy if you want the exact same density. The mass attenuation coefficients are identical, so that's not a problem.
Or someone who lives in a country with strict gun laws. What about terrorists, for instance?

Attached: 1537122155259.jpg (458x247, 142K)

>What are you going to fill it in with and how would that disguise the profile on an x-ray?
more guns. can't distinguish a gun if there are multiple guns overlaying each other

Attached: smug overload.gif (161x169, 321K)

There truly is no problem a gun can't solve, is there?

>I don't see why a truck driver would look closely enough at the cargo to distinguish a barrel from any other metal pipe.

As a truck driver, I don't understand why you think I'd care. Ship them disassembled or assembled, with a bill of lading that says "machinery parts" or "firearms," there's zero reason for me to give a fuck. My job is driving a truck, not complying with laws concerning trade. You get in trouble if the authorities find something wrong with the shipment.

You’d have to weld the parts on where the forces on the barrel are the highest, and the welding would weaken it too much. Whomever fired the pistol with a monkeyed barrel is likely to lose their hand.

>rifle barrels
IRL criminals do not use rifles very often. Pistols are far more useful unless the criminal in question is some heavy hitter cartel sicario.

Drugs and guns make up the two largest illegal trades in the world.

>hurr durr SBR etc.
How dumb do you have to be to think that this thread is about the US market?

>Do you think someone looking at an x-ray could tell the difference between an 80% lower and a full one?
Look at your picture. You can see the difference between the thin walls of the FCG pocket and the solid metal above the back of the trigger guard.

Yeah, no. They'd make it screw or press-fit and pin together, not weld, on account of not being idiots. Could be done, but really not worth it.

People that scan the mail thru the XRAY machines are not always the type of people that have trained their brain on what specific gun parts look like. They may have been briefed on what certain guns look like, or what methods people use to smuggle drugs, but most of it is hidden really well.
For example lets say a bracket for a furnace or something comes over the border (or something oddly shaped and made of sheet metal), it wouldn't be difficult to rivet an AKM reciever to it and paint it all the same color together. All the postal workers see is some big sheet metal bracket thingy with lots of weird shapes.
It would take a very Jow Forumseen eye to spot specific gun parts that are well hidden.
In terms of complete guns, you either have to really stupid to take the risk of a random search, really lucky, or have paid off the right people to ensure your plane/boat isn't getting searched.

Attached: 1540584843773.png (656x993, 49K)