Quick! Some dirty claimjumpers are trying to take your asteroid!

Quick! Some dirty claimjumpers are trying to take your asteroid!
What do you use to fight them off?

Attached: asteroid mining.jpg (1366x576, 399K)

Other urls found in this thread:

coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/ask/187-Can-asteroids-have-moons-
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This.

Attached: jerichofire.jpg (600x323, 42K)

Nigga everyone knows that we'll never get that far into space. It's just too expensive

G11
It's finally home

We just launch a generational ship to an asteroid and build solar sails then fly that bitch into our orbit so we can mine it

oh look a CZ

Claim jumpers? what in tarnation

Attached: 2anoldprospectorandhis.jpg (531x800, 544K)

that digger is gonna chuck everything into space

accept no substitute. If nothing else, the recoil will launch you to safety.

Attached: 1478703180960.png (1610x1645, 244K)

>we'll never get that far into space. It's just too expensive
Most of the expense if getting off of Earth. Once you're in orbit, it's only a bit more expensive to get the the belt than it is the moon.

Going to the asteroid field is much easier than going to Mars or even the Moon.

When you don't need to overcome a gravity well to come home, things are way cheaper.

*sip*
BR-55. hell of a gun. won humanity the war i tells ya what.

Attached: BR55HB-BattleRifle-Transparent.png (1853x555, 539K)

Max rush

Attached: tfwchecksaysFREEDOMinthegrossbalance.png (466x472, 309K)

Nigga everyone knows that we'll never get that far out to sea. It's just too expensive

based, but you'll never get through my 60 rounds of 7x62

Attached: MA6-E.jpg (1920x960, 115K)

My trusty BAE systems coil rifle attached to the turret and hydrogen reactor of my Northrop technical/rover. I can put a 2mm DU pellet through the first mile of the moons outer crust with this baby. A human in level 5 graphene space armor fairs significantly worse.
No one is touching my platinum and cobalt floaters.

Nothing quite like racing my buggy of the top end of crater in low g to flex on the nogunz mining corps conscripts

Hack the terminal controlling the digger in the Receiving Bay at Griffin Station and kill them all with the wave gun I got from the base's mystery box

Attached: 1514685416702.jpg (560x471, 64K)

Hell yeah borther. I ain't got no mining Corp conscripts because my mines are owned by me and I didn't get a government subsidy to claim them and build, I'm strictly a pioneer governed operation. But I feel you.
Those Chinese colonial conscripts are manlets anyway and God forbid you get any from the moon colony. They still haven't gotten a proper gravity generation system there and you know how brittle Low g faggots are.

Swear on Sol you can punch one in the ribs and dust em, heard those boys from the Soviet Station quarter mile over had an incident with their vat-boys, bunch of mutie fucks.

Lol. Serves them right. And they were already close to being entirely genetically aberrant anyways since the Communist Republic of California was absorbed by the soviets. Lmao now they're going to have to invent more pronouns.

>build railgun
>program to fire steel cannisters into the path of oncoming vessels
>load steel cannisters with frozen bags of feces
>place kining charge inside
>steel cannister will detonate and scatter clouds of high velocity froze poop into the path of oncoming vessels
>I am now a monkey on a rock in space literally thowing poo at territorial transgressors

Why mess with the basics? If its worked for 300 million years, its obviously good enough.

Lasguns. Always lasguns.

Ironically the G11 would probably be one of the worst possible choices for use in space, the heatsink effect of ejecting brass is overblown on Earth but it'd make a big different in a vacuum.

Bizarrely enough I think an old-school water cooled MG might be a good choice. Carrying it around isn't an issue, it's got a means of cooling itself, and its mass might help with recoil in a low/micro gravity environment.

My benis
>Unzips dick

Attached: 1541572335002.png (780x1111, 859K)

Tell me Guardsman, what are the specific litanies you and your cohorts recite to your rifles.

Attached: binaric_praise.jpg (220x230, 7K)

No longer our issue it seems. Just us and the Dust.

Millions of years of evolution lead us here, might as well enjoy it

I would load chain shot into my cannons and strand them by destroying their sails.

Mosins on Mars, on the moon, mosins everywhere!

Remove them all by setting Megamaid to 'suck'.

Attached: 4c80743a307ea4bde43a439097fd8a5a.jpg (709x493, 51K)

>MechAdeptus
>Smiling_Emprah.vox
A few Hail Emprahs, a unit prayer for victory, and a secret one to you guys for every time I sizzle an Ork. Thanks for keeping my hide alive, lads. I'll be sure to bring you something interesting if I make it back worldside.

>railgun
Old tech. Coil gun is the future. Rail gun has better energy efficiency than a coil gun but because rail guns come in contact with the projectile the lifetime of whatever parts touch the projectile is very small relative to a coil gun. And coil guns can improve in efficiency.

liquid cooling is definitely the way to go, astronauts already need to be cooled
but you wouldn't want classic brass, it's fucking heavy and transporting 1 kg just to low orbit costs like $5000, just put some pipes around the action and connect it to the backpack
I'd go one step further and instead of solid propelent and use the hypergolic mixture they use for maneuvering
that way the only moving part would be valves
then you all you need are slugs and you could make from moon rocks

That would be most Excellent
This one prefers articles of
>green
origin, best of luck to you Guardsman, Emperor's light to you

Attached: ADMech_Russia.jpg (666x490, 88K)

ma deuce of course

Attached: 9436cf56a3eb7e1dee57f3847896a4b7a729ad90386becfcbe52c408db2aa700.png (741x290, 46K)

oh fuck yeah

John Madden John Madden John Madden

Welp our asteroid is large enough to have inert guided orbital weapons.
Basically some tungsten rods in orbit around our asteroid with a guidance computer and small directional rockets. They're orbiting at extreme speeds and once you launch them at the correct trajectory they just stay in orbit without any propulsion. If a sizable invading force arrives we can just alter one or more of these rods' trajectory to slam into the threat location.

They die in an ""accidental"" discharge of a nuclear demolition munition

Attached: BCB78BB0-78FF-4C8D-90BD-A88449D3DBD1.jpg (825x671, 188K)

Unironically this. Zero recoil, hole their fragile spacesuits and watch their blood boil in their veins.

Attached: 835B2C10-E85D-49B6-8217-6AFC93B82718.jpg (1280x720, 51K)

Launch costs are a small fraction of deep space mission costs.

>tfw you'll never zero-in on mercs on the dark side of the moon, all sneaky beaky like

unironically rocks

CTRL+F

>Moon Dubloons

>0 results found

i am disappoint

>Welp our asteroid is large enough
Apparently your asteroid is bigger than many planets.

Inconel rails, graphite sabot

Gyrojet

Check it out amateur astronomer
coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/ask/187-Can-asteroids-have-moons-

If moons are possible so are sattelites.

>They're orbiting at extreme speeds
Romulus is a moon orbiting the 8-th largest asteroid in the belt, 87 Sylvia. It has an average orbital speed of 27m/s. That's fucking nothing and could be dodges by a dumbass with a fire extinguisher if he was paying attention. You might as well be launching your weapons form the surface, where they at least won't be in a very easily predictable position visible from anywhere in the solar system with enough magnification.

That's the point user. It's removing rock to expose the ore body

zirconium or beryllium copper rails if you want any efficiency whatsoever

The mass of a relatively small tungsten rod is not equal to the mass of a small moon. Also the moon didnt get to calculate is optimal orbit for speed, you could even make the orbit of the rods elliptical so it's faster at the close distances and have multiple rods in different ellipses to provide maximum coverage.
Also try picking out space debris and following it with a telescope it's not easy. Seeing these rods would be hard as hell if you didn't know exactly where to look even then you wouldn't necessarily think it's a weapon system. And if you did recognize it then maybe you won't fuck with my asteroid or attempt to land since these rods could slam into you.

The mass of the orbiting body is irrelevant, for one, two, an elliptical orbit means your response times are inconsistent and your weapons are only viable during specific parts of a very long period (potentially measured in weeks), meaning full coverage would require a lot of weapons. The orbital period of a relatively fast object around an asteroid is measured in days, even an elliptical object would have a maximum speed measured in the tens of m/s.

Also:
>what is radar, the post

>The mass of the orbiting body is irrelevant,
What is momentum? The rods have less ability to resist the asteroids gravity than a moon.
You can shape the ellipses in 3d space and have enough covering a small asteroid to have the closest (fastest) rod strike. Once you have the orbit measured and know the speed keeping track of them is easy.
>The orbital period of a relatively fast object around an asteroid is measured in days.
Earth sattelites don't seem to have that problem
>even an elliptical object would have a maximum speed measured in the tens of m/s.
Earth sattelites dont seem to have that problem. on a low g asteroid there is a point above the asteroid where the gravitational pull = the pull that current earth sattelites experience.
What is radar? You seem to think it's an all seeing eye when really it's electromagnetic waves that paint the area where it's aimed at. If you don't know where to aim it you can't see the object. Do you know how they would track icbms today? They have sattelites with thermal cameras tasked over broad areas where silos are. When the sattelites register a heat signature consistent with an icbm's boosters it alerts the proper radar station where they can focus the radar and track it from there. Also nasa has a big problem of keeping track of space debris.

>The rods have less ability to resist the asteroids gravity than a moon
What the fuck are you smoking? The mas of an orbiting object does not change it's relative orbital velocity. Yes, you can move them with rockets easier, it doesn't change the fact that they start out with a uselessly slow velocity.

>Earth sattelites don't seem to have that problem
The earth is also millions of times the mass and size, meaning the same orbit, where the satellite experiences a specific gravity load from Earth, is much further out, and therefore the orbit is much larger, necessitating much more speed. Where on an asteroid you only need to be going ~30m/s to maintain a circular orbit, the lowest earth orbits require a speed of about 7,800 m/s.
>Earth sattelites dont seem to have that problem
Ditto, kiddo.
>Do you know how they would track icbms today?
With radar. While it is true that the launch would be detected by infrared (the US lacks radars in the middle of Siberia), the missiles themselves are tracked by radar the instant they get high enough, which is exactly how they figure out where they're going, and how they are able to attempt to shoot them down. NASA/USAF is capable of tracking over 500,000 pieces of debris, many of which are as small as marble from the ground with radar. Note that the volume they are searching is also hundreds of times larger than the sphere of influence of even incredibly large asteroids.

Any reasonable spacecraft operating in an asteroid belt with the intent to bump people off of mining claims would be running radar just to avoid colliding with rocks flying around at sun orbital velocities, said radar would be easily able to search a 360 by 360 azimuth out to 200ish miles every second with resolution capable of finding marbles with modern technology. In fact, without air getting in the way, such radars would most likely be capable of much greater range and search resolution, without a large antenna or any technological upgrades.

>that they start out with a uselessly slow velocity.
Unless you impart speed to it as you put in its orbital trajectory with less momentum its possible to keep a tighter orbit at faster speed. We're still not talking about a celestial body being given its velocity by the orbit it was trapped in.
>that they start out with a uselessly slow velocity.
Unless you impart speed to it as you put in its orbital trajectory with less momentum its possible to keep a tighter orbit at faster speed
>Where on an asteroid you only need to be going ~30m/s to maintain a circular orbit, the lowest earth orbits require a speed of about 7,800 m/s.
What specific asteroid are you talking about and why would it equate to the imaginary one I'm referring to?
An asteroid of sufficient size to have low gravity, but enough to keep ones feet on the ground will have a point above it where the gravity is strong enough to pull a moving object into an orbit that makes it collide with the asteroid right? So there will also be a point where its just high enough to maintain an orbit but still experience an extreme velocity increase as it gets close.
>the missiles themselves are tracked by radar the instant they get high enough, which is exactly how they figure out where they're going, and how they are able to attempt to shoot them down.
Youre restating my point.they have to know to focus the radar in that area. They arent straining their radar to objects far beyond the area where they need to be alerted for a collision threat. Whereas an objects orbit can vary in distances. 200 miles isnt a very long distance in space. An orbiting object may be beyond radar detection or blocked by the asteroid. this argument is coming down to mathematical specifics when my entire argument is that its possible. Not possible if with x variables. But possible in general. You've failed to refute the possibility.

Really i couldve left this argument at "known asteroids have moons so orbiting sattelites are possible"
Youre basing your argument on a set of mathematical constants that are unknown:
>mass of the asteroid
>size and mass of the rods
>optimal sustainable elliptical orbit for rods that constrains their initial momentum
>velocity gained when adjusted to strike the asteroid
An asteroid not "larger than most planets" can have inert satellites capable of being tasked to slam into it. Its unknown if my specific imaginary asteroid can.

>Quick! Some dirty claimjumpers are trying to take your asteroid!
>What do you use to fight them off?

Challenge them over comms. Demand they identify themselves and their intent. Demand them to take adjacent trajectory and stop closing distance.

If you have reason to suspect they're pirates and attempt approach without permission or threaten you with ship mounted weapons, wait for them to launch shuttles before activating your stealth missile pods, interrogate the people in shuttles after they surrender.

>7x62

Attached: 1521172586981.gif (240x266, 3.86M)

7x62

Attached: 098.jpg (700x1690, 299K)

Halo fanboys are absolute retards.

>(you)

Attached: 1509500290606.jpg (480x540, 107K)

imagine seeing one of those left behind in your local train station

The only right answer

I throw a rock at them!

BR-55 puts that puny thing to shame. 5 shots can put down a spartan.

>mining ship Jiangxi Tiger Lily was lost with all hands when it strayed into the blast radius of a nuclear mining operation in the kuiper belt, it is unknown if the ship was destroyed by the blast or a collision with resulting debris.
>UNODA was contacted for comment but since the event took place in unregulated space said it was beyond the Earth-based body's jurisdiction, although they also expressed concern for the growing number of uncataloged nuclear devices being manufactured and used in the outer solar system
>Jiangxi/Amor said the accident was the result of a navigation error on the part of the Tiger Lily and denied rumors that it was a deliberate malicious act or rumors that it's crews are involved in ongoing feud with rival OJSC Lavochkin

Blow up their ship, duh.

Expense has never been a permanent stopping point for anything in history, and it won't ever be one.

A radio; Reporting them and having their ship and company blacklisted, and then arrested the next time they dock.

That's a spurdo I haven't seen before.

Attached: thumbs up.png (800x750, 68K)

Wat do if they're operating from pirate-run base and are coming in?

>Unless you impart speed
The escape velocity of the largest asteroids in the fucking solar system is less than 100m/s, you dense fuck, you cannot go faster than that and still be in orbit. This is basic shit. We're talking tenths of a G or less.
>What specific asteroid are you talking about
87 Sylvia, the *the largest asteroid we know about, thing's fucking massive, it's a very good case example. It's basically the best case scenario for your idea.
> but still experience an extreme velocity increase as it gets close
Everything is relative, extreme velocity for an asteroid is slow as fuck compared to velocities around planetary bodies which have millions of times the mass.
>Youre restating my point.they have to know to focus the radar in that area.
No, early warning radars have azimuths that cover huge portions of the sky, and the cue tracking radars onto the targets. The satellites cannot track the ICBMs after their first stage burns out, which is very much below the radar horizon. Radar is both used to acquire and track the targets.
> An orbiting object may be beyond radar detection or blocked by the asteroid
Not when it's on it's way to hit the target at a sedate couple of meters per second, at which point they'll just get out of the way.
>You've failed to refute the possibility.
Only if you for some reason believe there are asteroids out there with about a fifth of the earth's mass, bud. I'm pointing out that the idea is unfeasible on the biggest asteroids out there, what makes you think you'll find a bigger one?

>>mass of the asteroid
Again, I'm giving you the best case scenario by assuming it's an unreasonably large asteroid, which most of them aren't. If it doesn't work with a big one, it won't work with a small one.
>>size and mass of the rods
Irrelevant, the mass of the orbiting body has no effect on it's relative velocity.
>>optimal sustainable elliptical orbit for rods that constrains their initial momentum
The fastest orbit is still below escape velocity, therefore the optimal orbit is still gonna be less than 100m/s at it's fastest, or it would not be an orbit.
>>velocity gained when adjusted to strike the asteroid
That's the same thing as an elliptical orbit, user.

>87 Sylvia, the *the largest asteroid we know about
Meant to type "one of the."

Why would there be a pirate base? Who would pay for it?

>What do you use to fight them off?
Co2 fire extinguishers, laser dazzlers and halberds

You wouldn't want CO2 extinguishers in space.
Most fuels would be self-oxidizing for obvious reasons

>Why would there be a pirate base? Who would pay for it?

Letters of Marque written by rival star-nation.

Then it's a privateer base, and you could just go to said rival star nation's turf

Attached: pew pew.gif (241x150, 17K)

why are you such a pussy bitch

>Hail Emprahs
>not Ave Terra
Oh boy, don't let the Bolter Bitches hear that.
Hail Terra, world of grace, the Emperor is with thee; blessed art thou amongst Worlds, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Mankind. Holy Terra, Mother of Man, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death, Amen.

Nigga everyone knows that we'll never get that far out of our caves. It's just too expensive.

Yeah, but can you report them before they kill you transmission wire and then kill you?

I love you.

>be me towing $1 trillion of platinum
>some fucking big boomer starts ranging me
>work out his heading from the flashes
>figure he's going for a 1000km lethal pass
>not enough fuel for a course correction
>don't have any ship2ship weapons just small arms
>don't want to drop my rock but also don't want to get microwaved
>change orientation so the rock is facing him
>start dumping all my waste for beam diffusion
>sure enough fucker xrays me as he flies past
>barely grazes the surface of my tow
>lose a couple of tethers but that's it
>hear him raging in chinglish over open comms as he realizes he's just vaporized a bunch of rock and my shit/piss
>just manage to call him a faggot while he's still in comms range

Attached: B8EC1B4E-2468-4916-ABF8-E0FAC2B0846F.jpg (300x238, 38K)

kek

>spacesuits
>blood boil in their veins

Attached: 1494817320704.jpg (666x499, 77K)

Cold-boiling is a thing, and it happens most notably in space.

>You wouldn't want CO2 extinguishers in space.Most fuels would be self-oxidizing for obvious reasons

as a jet and also to create drifting fog clouds that can be laser illuminated

Niggy it wouldn't take generations to get to an asteroid maybe at most a decade. And also how you gonna get it in-system towards earth with solar sails the solar wind is going out system

Spacesuits now are designed to at least resist to some degree micrometeoroid strikes. Also soldiers would no doubt have a means to patch holes to prevent depressurization. A tiny hole will take a bit of time to vent the air, during which time your target can still shoot back. Just like here on Earth, a small caliber bullet without fragmentation or expansion can eventually cause death by blood loss, they can still shoot you while they bleed out. You would still want a gun that can easily kill.

>blood boil in their veins
Not so long as it's still in their veins, bro. Or at least not until after they would have died anyway.

lmao I just covered the asteroid in grease, cant land if you can't get traction space niggers

Underrated reference, one of my favorite movies

bump

>admech
>worshipping the emperor

Attached: firefox_2018-05-13_17-48-26.png (316x257, 190K)

Attached: 6A8DD9EB-B588-46F2-B2BE-481595D1E14E.jpg (500x500, 16K)

>39679870
go kill more of your teamates hillbilly trash
>t.NC player