Veterans Day is coming

It's crazy to think that ~99 years ago WWI would end in two days. Feels feels man.

Attached: tfw hans passed gas.jpg (250x250, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QaiWx4BVQDE
archive.is/Vzq26
time.com/5444257/last-american-wwi-henry-gunther/
coub.com/view/1h1lv8
youtube.com/watch?v=uZmxZThb084
nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/white-house-decision-cancel-veteran-s-cemetery-france-visit-creates-n934796
youtube.com/watch?v=Bj3n02CQJiU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: 5 - Istanbul 18.jpg (1200x900, 273K)

Attached: 1476687484037.jpg (3000x1089, 1.05M)

May they rest peacefully knowing that their families and loved ones will always remember them, Lest We Forget.

Attached: 44029843_1070719359768480_1485483085783891968_n.jpg (571x767, 95K)

WWI Was a mistake

WWI was an inevitability.

From what point in history can you declare "it is now inevitable"?

I think there were just as many opportunities to reduce conflict as there were to create it. The Battleship Tensions between GB and Germany in particular seems a clear example of avoiding conflict.

Rapprochement between GB and France also doesn't seem inevitable. Imagine the myriad different ways Fashoda could have turned out.

It was a tragedy though. I sincerely don't think the West has ever really recovered from it.

Attached: Passchendaele_aerial_view.jpg (500x674, 332K)

Battleship tensions as a potential area that if changed could have avoided conflict. Key word there that I fucked up. Sorry.

Attached: 1510160678301.jpg (500x368, 79K)

I have a recurring dream that I'm in an African forest in a small camp speaking Dutch and French perfectly and can understand both in the dream but I don't even know Dutch or French in real life, then I get told to join a small force going out the back to keep from encirclement, just as we're running out we get hit by mortars and we run into the scrub brush with Wild Dogs scattering and come face to face with Germans who open fire and we open fire in return and I have a large knife and a pistol out after my rifle is out of ammunition, then a German runs up and guts me in the side with a bayonet and I wake up

I've had this exact dream a couple dozen times, the details never change

Thank you, Maréchal

Attached: 24A2FC2D-3304-4157-8346-9C24C20E2490.jpg (1653x1060, 2.08M)

no it wasn't.
>*passes in 6 weeks in 1940*
oof

Just read an article on today's newspaper about the last soldier killed in WW1.
>writes letter home, on it complains about the conditions at front and urges fried to avoid military service
>picked up by war censors
>demoted from sergeant to private
>wants to regain his rank
>charges the German positions right before 11:00 a.m., firing his rifle
>soldiers on both sides yell and wave to him to stop
>won't stop, Germans have no choice but to gun him down

Attached: 980x.jpg (980x559, 157K)

>Fights out with the Germans, the Soviets and the Allies, and manages to end up as one of the victors of WW2
Yes, I'm more than proud of my homeland

Attached: 41032246_401.png (700x394, 71K)

>China

GIVE IT BACK, THIS ISN'T RIGHT, IT WAS OURS!

Attached: 57f800402cb4e.image.jpg (500x664, 40K)

Wow. Lots of stories about WWI are depressing, but man was this guy's death in vain.

youtube.com/watch?v=QaiWx4BVQDE
Kuominwave best wave

Imagine being the last guy killed. Poor bastard had no idea it would be over soon.

Attached: slide_9 (1).jpg (960x720, 83K)

>The respected American author Joseph E Persico has calculated a shocking figure that the final day of WWI would produce nearly 11,000 casualties, more than those killed, wounded or missing on D-Day, when Allied forces landed en masse on the shores of occupied France almost 27 years later.

archive.is/Vzq26

Attached: Man_in_the_mud_August_2012_2.jpg (4000x3000, 2.43M)

If those men knew they were fighting for atheism, political correctness, feminism, gay abortions and mass immigration, do you think they would still have fought?

I wonder how many were killed on Day 2. I bet people were saving up all their rage and revenge for the last day.

Attached: ww1 arty.jpg (1247x905, 406K)

Actually, he was perfectly aware it was going to be over soon and went to charge the German positions alone in the hopes of regaining his rank.
time.com/5444257/last-american-wwi-henry-gunther/

>day 2
I mean 2nd to last day.

You mean 100 years.

Its the centennial.

He isn't wrong it was 99 years 364 days ago. Tomorrow you will be right.

>99.997
Ok senpai

They fought against ussr in cold war?

If Germany won WW1 our world be approximately 1.8 times better than it is now.

What a fucking tragic story.
>be Sergeant
>write letter home about how the war sucks
>letter intercepted by War Department
>demoted to Private
>buddies suspect you of being the next Benedict Arnold
>desperately want to prove your loyalty
>rush a German trench alone on the last day of the war, at the last hour, in the last minute
>Germans desperately shout at you to "geh weg!" as you rush them with a bayonet
>get mowed down in a clear case of self defense
>all because you didn't want to be thought of as un-American

Attached: feelguy.jpg (300x300, 10K)

What would have happened if the soldiers and those in charge of those men gunned down and kept killing the german soldiers after the war is officially declared over? Would the allies just allowed them to keep killing the german soldiers or would they intervene?

>NO Jow Forums MEME SHIT FUCK YOU!!!

They would have let them continue and besides we should have continued on defeating the jap bastards more instead of letting those cunts recouped...

>be german
>don't surrender and die like a bitch

Attached: Barbed wire as fuck.jpg (1719x505, 243K)

Much like the rest of them.

Attached: 20171223_112820-e1514094582921-777x489.jpg (777x489, 103K)

Fake and Gay

If the war is over the soldiers have no reason to fight. A war is a game of chess for political reasons. Would pawns keep attacking other pawns if the game is over?

Just answer the goddamn question and dont try to be "le too deep" bullshit.

>spend years fighting some other fucks in a bitter war where you got gassed, shelled, shot at, saw the death of chivalry with barbaric hand to hand combat, human death waves and will undeniably have some form of shellshock, ptsd or psychosis
>not having motivation to keep killing the other side for as long as you can

>Run boy run starts playing

Attached: 1496370651115.png (1872x1240, 203K)

The war with nips was over but you have people like that would gladly have kept killing the nips til non were left...

The naval arms race was literally made up by Britain. Germany needed a navy for it's colonies and so they could ship their wares without having to pay customs to the UK. The customs the UK made through taxing Germany made up 9% of it's GDP, let that sink in. When they Brits started to pump out ships, Germany didn't even care and built the same amount as before because the naval program was to be finished in 1914. Now the UK was in heavy debt and Germany not wanting to pay the customs as mentioned also were a big problem for them. Before you say "yeah uhh but why not search for other ways to export your products?" Well they did. The berlin baghdad railway was planned to be built but needed until 1914 to be completed.

coub.com/view/1h1lv8

I did answer the question you're clearly just too dumb to understand it. Stay in class, kid.

Don't take war personally. It's just business.

>one of the victors
I mean, you're kinda like the little brother who tags along as the big brothers do all the work, then brag to your mum about how much you did.

>those MG08/15s in the background
want

>tfw you work with a Belgian immigrant nurse who knows how to treat mustard gas burns and can tell you the exact effects it will have on various age groups because she's treated over twenty cases in the last five years.

Chemical weapons are fucked mang.

Is anyone else here taking all of their First World War guns to the range tomorrow? My Enfield and I are certainly taking a trip down there to give thanks for what it and the poor men who used it went through. Anyone else or am I alone in this sentiment?

>retard trying to sound philosophical and smart when really he just sounds like a dumbass.

BACK TO BACK WORLD WAR CHAMPS USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

YEAH I LOVE BEING A ZOG PUPPET WOOOO!!!!

Attached: berlin blues.jpg (523x587, 61K)

youtube.com/watch?v=uZmxZThb084
Lest we forget.

>be American
>get shot

Isn't there a colored version?

Creepy. I want to use that in a rpg.

Basically the US after wwI, with the added bonus of fucking up the peace talks and treaties so much it allowed WWII to happen

You literally begged us to join because you were a hair away from revolution.

There's something ironic about a President refusing to visit a WW1 cemetary because of the rain.

Wouldn't want to get mud on his fine Italian shoes, would we?

So the WW1 hell from The Darkness.

Anyone have that picture of some kids homework asking them to write a twitter post from a front line ww1 soldier?

The french fucks were the ones that got to have the bigger say in the treaty talks and it was the french that got to form up on how the treaty should be dealt with which ended up being the treaty of Versailles. The usa president didn't get much of a say in it so the fault of world war two was not usa but france instead.

Attached: I-became-a-canadian.jpg (1200x900, 175K)

Too soon

Fucking krauts always starting wars

Attached: frenchfishingww1.jpg (500x419, 32K)

Attached: sketch-1541889950040.png (720x798, 454K)

just finished reading Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger the other day, basically a telling of his diary, journal, and experiences he kept during the war

highly recommend

>user trying to act brave and bold when he's really just being a pussy with a keyboard

They would be court marshaled you nigger antifa faggot

Any events to watch on the TV or online or something?

Attached: 1517225483211.gif (353x200, 1.85M)

The united nations is a massive fucking failure

it's literally been 100 years mate

If Germany won WW1 it would win WW2 ( if actually happened in this timeline) and our world would be 5.8 times better

>brave and bold

Spotted the SJW

It literally hasn't.
Too soon. Whole hours too soon.

If they were all able to look through a portal to see how the world would be in 100 years, not a single one of them would have fought. Whether Briton or Slav, conservative or liberal, aristocratic or a farmhand.

The primary goal of almost every soldier on every front by the end of the war was to get the fuck out of the trenches and go home. The men were done with fighting well before the generals had had enough.

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of gas-shells dropping softly behind.

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!—An ecstasy of fumbling
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime.—
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams before my helpless sight
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin,
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,—
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Attached: 1406513746238.jpg (317x379, 44K)

nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/white-house-decision-cancel-veteran-s-cemetery-france-visit-creates-n934796

Attached: 377457_10151202408468236_1645987525_n_custom-5bdd807df69f4fb14a71f6894287532e5b7d97ed-s800-c85.jpg (480x448, 40K)

Wilfred Owen was killed a few days before the war ended to make that poem even more tragic

Attached: German Skeleton, 1917.jpg (990x750, 185K)

Adieu la vie, adieu l'amour,
Adieu toutes les femmes
C'est bien fini, c'est pour toujours
De cette guerre infâme
C'est à Craonne sur le plateau
Qu'on doit laisser sa peau
Car nous sommes tous condamnés
Nous sommes les sacrifiés
- La Chanson de Craonne

Attached: FrenchSoldierWithSkull.jpg (518x700, 110K)

He deserved better.

On another note, Great War Waifus! Romania is bae.

Attached: 1533316084023m.jpg (931x1024, 201K)

I really need to start my wwi helmet collection.

I want a Stahlhelm, a Portuguese Brodie M1917 and a Pickelhaube. Also a Vietnam era M-1.

Thats all I need for my helmet collection. Wacky, practical and historically important items that represent key eras of history.

Ive got my great grandfathers m1 from wwii and a pasgt helmet but that is it right now.

Looking forward to how Indy plans on sending things off

Attached: Prok.jpg (1652x1792, 292K)

Attached: 5B6A299B-F9C9-4352-AD74-58BBFD8668D8.jpg (3264x2448, 1.25M)

Attached: 51141C70-E662-4668-83A9-AFAF3FD4BF9F.jpg (3264x2448, 1.8M)

Attached: 8858F9F5-4478-46DE-91D7-9E7B64413975.jpg (3264x2448, 1.33M)

youtube.com/watch?v=Bj3n02CQJiU

On ne passe pas

Attached: verdun.jpg (189x266, 17K)

>From what point in history can you declare "it is now inevitable"?
The fact that it happened

oh for fuck's sake.
We can imagine a series of plausible choices people could have made that would have changed events.
No one says "WW1 was inevitable and it was clear that it would happen once Julius Caesar crossed the Rubicon. If only Julius Caesar didn't cross the Rubicon we never would have had WW1" The literal answer of 'WW1 was inevitable from the moment of the big bang because the universe is deterministic' is completely useless and besides the point.

Inevitability is a strong claim. It implies that events had progressed so far that there wasn't a plausible way of pulling back. The war happened as a series of discrete events drew it closer to the starting point. Each key event adding not only to the start of the war but also to the manner in which the war would take place.

Is the length and nature of WW1 inevitible as of Tannenburg preventing a possible early germany defeat? Or is it being held up at Liege? Or was is the Moroccan Crisis shifting the British away from Germany? The intractability of Austro-Hungarian Generals pre-war?

It's like asking 'what was the turning point in WW2'. The question taken completely literally like some kinda autist doesn't actually reveal much. It's most useful as a way of teasing out what weight we should give certain events.

Imagine a Bayesian estimate by a fully informed neutral individual judging the chance of WW1 happening in 1900 vs that same individual in 1910. What's his percentage chance estimate of war in the style of WW1 and what events caused him to change his estimate and why did he weigh them the way he did?

Attached: 1439491175713.png (1085x513, 185K)

It really is incredible now that I think about it. The greatest battle in all of mankind. Spectacular! Damn I'm high...

Attached: 1541899227411.jpg (1414x1000, 342K)

Each & every single man and woman who served is now dead.
Nobody from the most important conflict in the history of mankind lives.
It's kind of weird to know that something that feels like it was not that long ago was 100 years ago.

so are we gonna talk about how there was that whole chinese civil war in the late 1800s that got way more casualties and was started by a dude claiming to be the brother of jesus?

Everything about the Italian Front was an exercise in futility

Attached: 1491394961690.jpg (564x834, 125K)

>die scared and in agony in a ditch far away from your warm bed and loving family
>generations later your descendants give it all away to the 3rd world anyway

I actually feel sad how the italians were the worst soldiers to exist on both wars.

imagine how we (Austria/Germany) feel about being betrayed by the Italians in both wars

And yet, it still happened.
But nice thesis, turbo autist

Attached: 1529810812891.jpg (433x480, 134K)

Reminder that France wanted to break apart Germany so that they would never threaten the Continent again. Petain wasn't referring to the Treaty of Versailles as too harsh when he said it was "an armistice that will last 20 years", he thought it wasn't harsh enough.

It's a good enough reason as any. Sadly, because of the daily world-wide media campaign against Trump if he were to show at these events it would just result in legions of Marxist protestors following him around. At least this way they'll stay home and shitpost about America online rather than shitting up a somber event.