Bear defense gun

Why is pic related chambered in 45-70 the best bear defense gun?

Attached: wm_2989021.jpg (1200x900, 82K)

Because when you never leave your house, you're pretty unlikely to get eaten by a bear.

I have those mother fuckers in my yard like all the fucking time.

Why’s the sky blue?
Cuz it just is.

don't leave the house and you're fine bruh

How difficult are they to fuck? I would imagine they become more passive as it gets colder.
Are they more receptive if you bring them berries?

is the stainless steel version worth the extra $$$?? anyone know?

Attached: 1540840919041.png (558x565, 7K)

usually they're asleep by now, but they won't fuck off this year. Why the fuck would you feed them? they already are pests. No reason to encourage them to come back.

In order to fuck them, can you not fucking read?

>the only answer to bears

Attached: grizzly.jpg (1800x954, 226K)

why would you want to fuck them?

Same reason I fuck deer I suppose

Do you know where you are?

Do you know where you are?

why do you want to fuck deer?

Why the fuck wouldn’t you?
>picrelated

Attached: CDF63FC8-C3F1-42A7-8F1C-B7290F1E115B.gif (480x360, 1.49M)

A doe’s not gunna fuck herself.
It’s not like they have opposable thumbs.

these fuckers are always around

Attached: 20181027_225001.jpg (1291x968, 302K)

Kill a bear
With a bear

HOW MUCH to reload 45 70 target loads?

Atleast you always have a way to ease the blue balls

why not just use 45 colt?

Depends
20 to 100 CPR

I was thinking about picking one up but I don't want to pay a dollar or more a round for ammo and was thinking I could reload it for cheaper for target and use commercial ammo for hunting

Supposedly it's been worked over so there action isn't absolute dog shit, but that could just be advertising.

After dies and loading stuff I reload Hornady bullets into good cases for .46cpr.

U can cast round balls and make light gallery loads for practice and small game for just a few pennies each

it's probably better to reload your own hunting ammo

It isn’t

FAL is better

Part 1:

Alright. I've done a FUCKTON of research on this topic and ended up with a Marlin 1895 SBL.

As a lefty, I was severely restricted in choices outside of custom made rifles.

With Daniel Garrett's full retard 45-70 loads you get 50% more penetration or some shit than a .375 H&H, with a markedly wider bullet. It even outpenetrated .458 Win Mag bullets and some other fucking crazy huge bullet.

For me, having a small, handy rifle I can throw in the plane and use against bears is the goal.

For me, I had a few weapons drawing my attention:
CZ 550 LH .375 HH. With an $800 premium on getting it lefty, though, that was steep. Still, fucking 5+1 of .375 or even .458 Lott is nothing to fuck with. Even so, bolt guns aren't nearly as fast as lever actions, and when I read about what full retard 45-70 was capable of, the added recoil for marginal improvement (if any, really) became a glaring issue.

Montana Rifle Company makes nice rifles, and I had kind of settled on getting one of them one day, actually. A nice, custom gun for Alaska would've been cool. Alas, same issues with being a bolty (even though the guy who owns the company is a lefty and thus takes care of his kind) cropped up.

The Ruger Guide gun: .375 HH performance out of a normal "large" cartridge in a gun meant for the kind of shit I'd be using it for. Left handed, very nice.

.375 Ruger is a little niche, but growing in popularity slowly. So is .416 Ruger which is, you guessed it, .416 Rigby out of one of these things.

Was calling around for one to fondle but heard they had the 1895 SBL so went with that. I'd recommend the Ruger guide gun, though, as well.

I just got one the other day. Very nice, actually. Fit and finish aint what it used to be but for $975 it was good to go, and I got to inspect it before just ending up with one. Cartridges stick inside the magazine tube occasionally, though. Just friction or a burr, it looks like. Any jolt to the gun or just a second or so of waiting and the cartridge comes free and is pushed to where it ought to be. If you're cranking out a whole magazine, though, you might get a click instead of a bang if you go too fast or are too gentle. Trying to figure out the exact cause, but it's not constant. Still, often enough that I want it worked out before I trust my life to it.

There's what looks like scratches in the metal in the ejection port where the bullet of a loaded cartridge will scrape against while being ejected. They're rather deep, but do not affect function and I don't really care. I can always get rid of them if I want but I'm gonna add way more nicks and dings to this thing over time. Clear tooling marks in the hammer channel, looks like shit but that's what you get from Freedom Group. No effect on function.

the 1895CBA would be my choice, I don't like stainless very much

Mine came with a sizeable nick in the magazine tube end cap. No effect on function. Can always swap it out. Really don't care, and I'm gonna bang that thing to hell on shit over time anyway so the initial pain is already out of the way.

I don't imagine the other 1895s will be different.

The ghost ring sights will hurt accuracy but aid in faster acquisition, and if you get this thing cerakoted with SS underneath, it's never gonna rust if you do even marginal maintenance on it.

It's unbelievably handy and well-balanced, and I'm in love with it already. Reloading dies are here, and bullets are on their way.

Functionally, it's excellent save for it being a little stingy with rounds in the tube. Once that's worked out, it's more than worthy of being a bear gun, and if yours doesn't have that issue, you've got it out of the box.

Again, you can probably expect this of all Marlins nowadays.

That doesn't answer the question

>Why is pic related chambered in 45-70 the best bear defense gun?
Because it's a heavy fucking bullet that has the potential to be hard cast for extra skull smashing ability.

based. get a casting mold and an old cast iron pan and melt some lead into bullets user.

based

When a bear charges you it is better to have a semi auto and have a much higher chance of hitting it than to rely on "muh single shot stopping powah".

Watch any bear charge and you will see how hard they are to hit and how little time you have to hit them.

10 shots from semi auto carbine are better than two from a lever action.

Attached: 1530595094729.jpg (718x658, 132K)

Straight on, a bear's skull is like the front of a tank. Bullets will, real shit, glance off of its skull and just piss it off. You need something that'll punch through, and that's usually slower, heavier bullets. Unless you find one of those Garands in .458 Win Mag, you're down to boltguns and levergats.

If the bullets aren't up to the task, I mean. .308 and others like it are iffy at best. A big grizzly is a mighty fucking creature.

Fuddlore. There are countless cases of grizzly bears being stopped with common handgun calibers. And elephants have been taken down with common deer hunting cartriges in the past.

There is a video on youtube of a deer being dropped with a 40 foot pound air rifle but bears are 200 times tougher right?