I am curious, Jow Forums

I am curious, Jow Forums.
What exactly makes up the shit ton of weight the modern US soldier carries? I hear it just gets heavier and heavier. I understand ammo, gun, body armor, but what else is jogging up the weight?

Attached: MG-Kongsberg-AG3F2-1.jpg (2528x806, 175K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ft.com/content/82ce0740-2c03-11dc-b498-000b5df10621
youtube.com/watch?v=CD-ceTptLbM
savanna.auhsd.us/view/26051.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

MREs, water, clothes, an E-Tool, toiletries, more MREs, more water, anything else the Lieutenant mandates on your gear-list and subsequently is enforced by your Platoon Sergeant

so mainly it's water that's killing the load weight?

and extra shit you never use every time just for weight.

>Reminder not all soldiers are used as glorified pack mules just US ones in recent times

Attached: vietnam-1.jpg (1200x630, 253K)

Ammo belts for machine guns, claymores, laws, mortar rounds, batteries, sandbags, camo nets, binos or spotting scope, all on top of your food, water, hygiene and personal combat load.

Attached: image.jpg (896x540, 66K)

Tons of batteries, apparently.

Mostly armor, water and ammunition

US logistics are the best in the world so they make you carry lots of stuff to deform your spine and blow your knees to compensate.

jesus fuck, is it to make your average soldier self sufficient or something?

Communications equipment, extra batteries, water, food, cold weather gear, squad equipment: ie breaching tools, explosives, extra ammo, spare barrels, and tripods for machine gun teams, grenades, claymores, extra 40mm rounds, AT4 or a LAW, SSE stuff- cameras, biometric equipment, restraints-, bleeder pouch- everybody has one-, either skedco or foldable metal litter.

You try to distribute it out across the squad as best you can, but at the end of the day all that shit adds up. Even more so if you’re doing a multi day mission.

Well the iotv by itself already weighs like 30 if you dont tack in the groin and neck shit. The rifle gets to like 12 lbs after you add an optic a peq and mag not including foregrips and other shit. Then a basic combat load is 210 rounds of ammo but who only carries 7 mags? Then after that you got water and medical shit and food. A modern soldier even if he packs light is still goin to be carrying a lot of weightt

That’s not just for one soldier, it’s something you’d carry across a few. But it doesn’t take many mortar rounds or MG belts to make your ruck start getting that much heavier. Same thing for claymores and laws.

>who only carries 210 rounds
I do, but I’m a commo guy. I’m also carrying both a squad radio, and a bigger one. Sat antenna and cabling. Probably a back up SAT antenna and cabling. A couple of spare antennas, mics, and back up batteries. Commo shit gets heavy quick.

Trust me you're gonna want all that shit once you get into a protracted defensive battle. Plus some cold weather gear if you're in the fucking hindu kush

>Be the most powerful military force ever
> Instead of using vast amount of wheeled vehicles to haul supplies make grunts take the role pre-victorian aries used horses and mules for.

Attached: 1480094447883.jpg (604x453, 39K)

>Picture of more primitive soldiers to show apparent superiority to current ones in the same military

What do you think you're proving here

but all that? I know the meme is stuff is only going to get added and gear weight is only going to go up as time goes, but Outside of very early "exoskeletons" and Boston Dynamics clever but ultimately not very practical robot mules, It can't keep going like this.

If you can bring more equipment than the enemy it's just another way you can beat them. Exactly the same as if you can operate at night and they can't, if you have airpower and they don't, if you can medevac and they can't.

War is endurance on every level from state-level finance to whether your guys can stay awake longer than the others.

The human body has limits even at it's fitness peak.

Yeah if you are fighting goat herders with no supply chain, support and armed with AKs and whatever left over weapons from conflicts decades prior

So you think soldiers were more efficient in Vietnam than now? And this is based on a photo?

Sexual assault training books, DUI training manuals, breast pumps, tampons, and other gear needed to make sure the female soldiers are comfortable and well looked after.

If anything that literally proves the point.

the basic infantry load is 27 pounds, everything else is FUBAR

What I am getting at is what's the point of being a highly mechanized force with lots of air assets if at the end of the day you load several pounds of supplies on the backs of grunts that will sooner or later crumble due to physical exhaustion.

Don't compare the current time low intensity skirmishes against raggedy ass guerillas with the fluid battlefields from higher intensity conflicts of the past.

the majority of infantry injuries in A'stan are due to over loading the soldier w/crap the women won't carry

That is a beautiful hk91 rifle...

>Making shit up to prove what an incel you are

Because it means you win firefights? It means you have less casualties? It means you can sustain momentum in offensive operations?

It has completely fuck and all to do with fighting guerrillas. What the hell do you think they'd do in a peer engagement, stop wearing armour and carrying radios?

Because it works? Are you absolutely stupid. Why the shit do you think our casualties per capita are so much lower now than they ever were in history

Because we don't start wars with people who can fight back.

Maybe look up what "per capita" means for casualty rates

>If we started fighting China we'd stop wearing personal armor

This is you right now. This is how stupid you are.

We won't fight China. The banks won't allow it.

What's with this stupid and incorrect assumption that only US soldiers carry personal equipment in warzones?

Attached: Russian soldiers in Syria.jpg (600x350, 200K)

What would be the point? China mines most of the world tungsten and produces most of the worlds tungsten carbide. Tungsten carbide ammo would easily go through armor. It’d be lightened at the very least significantly.

Fuck me, you took what was supposed to be an absurd example on my part and taken it for yourself and now your point is literally "why wear armor when armor-piercing bullets exist"

Are you just separated from reality or something

It’s a waste of weight when all the enemies rounds can go through your armor at combat distances.

Carrying armor, ammo and essentials is one thing, another is over loading with stuff that while essentials doesn't have to go on the rest of the squad back as if other means of transportation don't exist in the 21st century.

>neverserve
if armor wasn't effective they would not be handing it out moron

Helmet, Armor: 25-30lbs
Rifle + ammo: 10lbs
Water, NVGs, medical supplies, squad radio: 5 lbs minimum

Other things you might carry that aren't in your rucksack:

Heavy weapons
Machine gun ammo
Hand grenades
Aid bag
Platoon radio

All of these things mean you're walking around with 50-60 lbs of gear. In your rucksack is clothing, bedding, more ammo, more water, and food. That's generally where the triple-digit weights come from; you don't fight with it on.

What do you think most of the weight is just for fun or something?

Here's something that'll blow your mind, helmets aren't even bulletproof to normal rifle rounds. Guess they should stop using them since you know better!

Massive personal loadouts are the direct result of mechanization, not something that happens in spite of it. It turns hauling shit into a sprint rather than a marathon. You can carry 120 lbs around for a few days. You can't do it for a few weeks or months.

So you're going to stop a firefight to send someone back to an APC to pick up more rounds for the GPMG, huh

those giant fucking radios with the whole metal backpack and huge telephone handset and everything are obviously completely obsolete but they just look so cool

>Why wear armor, just don't get shot

The thread

You know how Goku has weights in his training vest and boots and shit? When an American soldier gets completely nude on the battlefield it's almost impossible to stop him unless you truly believe in yourself.

Yeah, it’s effective against shitholers using fmj, not China using tungsten carbide core ammo.

You know they never stopped using those

Attached: US_Army_kicks_off_new_manpack_radios_acquisition_program_640_001.jpg (640x490, 93K)

As long as you're at or below maximum encumbrance there's no penalty to a trooper's total Time Units so there's no reason not to fill every slot with extra medkits and plasma bombs even if you don't really need them.

You think guys are carrying this shit around for shits and giggles?

The absolute lightest configuration for the M240 machine gun, used by the Army (-L model + M193 mount) is about 32 lbs. If you're a muhreen, you're carrying the -D model with the M122 tripod, 41 lbs. This load is split among two guys.

Unfortunately, you want to be able to shoot. 100 rounds of linked ammo is about 5 lbs. Conveniently, 100 rounds/minute is "suppressing" fire. (200 rounds/minute is "rapid" fire).

If I want to suppress a target for five minutes while the assaulting force moves into position, followed by one minute of rapid fire during the assault, I that's another 35 lbs of ammunition. For a planned assault.

If I get into a fifteen-minute skirmish/meeting engagement, 70 lbs of ammo. This adds up quick. And it's just for one weapon. You want 60mm mortars? SAWs? Grenades? You're going to carry it.

It's just so intimate and romantic, who could give this up

-G model not -D model.

ft.com/content/82ce0740-2c03-11dc-b498-000b5df10621

The ultimate irony is that those "shitholers" have been using Chinese AP ammunition for over a decade now, with no difference.

Personal exoskeleton roll-out: 2018

Personal exoskeleton batteries roll-out: ~2022

Having been in combat, seeing this with my own eyes and joining the other Men, I can say this is also beautiful to behold. One more reason I can't see women serving on the "front lines"

Yeah, also if you build a 20 foot wall on the border someone will just build a 21 foot ladder therefore the wall is completely useless :p

Here's a vid of a SEAL or something who goes over his vest setup. He has one of his belt, too.
Not sure if he has one for backpack n shit
youtube.com/watch?v=CD-ceTptLbM

TO THE EVERLASTING GLORY OF THE INFANTRY

Attack dwarfs. They're invaluable but have very short legs and need to perch on a shoulder if you're covering significant ground.

I heard that too. There's an infographic where it shows how to pack a rucksack and then how infantry packs. It's batteries, ammo, and "other useless shit."

Rookies are cheap, research is expensive. Ten dead rookies is worth it for a live sectoid commander

just got out of BCT. your helmet, IOTV, FLC, carbine, two hand grenades, and 210 rounds is going to stack up to over 60lbs.

You'll carry anywhere from 40 to 60 more lbs in your rucks, depending on how the weight is distributed between your squad; even more if you're the rifle-bitch carrying ammo. you're talking food, 5lb of water, clothing, batteries, that dumbass flashlight, extra boots, mess-kit, tarp and sleeping kit, etc.

you carry A LOT of shit.

Isn't that just a waste of ammo? Maybe loads are so heavy because you waste so much of it. One round every six seconds is deliberate fire, one round every two seconds is rapid fire. That should be enough to win an infantry firefight. Spunking off automatic fire at range is almost always completely ineffectual, it should only be used for clise-quaryers battle.

the most important ability a squad has to have is to be able to suppress the enemy. shooting off bursts at long range doesn't kill that effectively, but it does make people not want to get shot.

Water is 8lbs a gallon.

Serious question, why don’t the US army don’t use donkeys to haul shit while on patrol? A donkey costs like $50 on local markets, can carry significant loads, can survive on dry grass and muddy water and if it takes a bullet it can become extra protein to supplement the MREs.

I’ve seen those corny robot donkeys but insofar they do nothing that a regular donkey can’t do better, at least not when price is factored into the equation.

Attached: B66A1080-7F7F-4A35-BD3E-D771DE78BE0E.jpg (412x550, 70K)

I want a battle donkey.

You know the main purpose of modern armor, ever since WW1 helmets, is to stop shrapnel, right? Artillery, mortars, and grenades kill far more troops than rifles.

you forgot ammo, ammo, ammo, ammo, ammo, water, ammo, batteries, water, ammo.

oh yeah, also ammo.

why do you think they dont?

are you fucking retarded? those figures you're using are for rifles. rifles intended to be used in conjuction with machine guns, machine guns being used at the rate given to you by that user. as well as, not instead of.

the enemy is doing the exact same thing back to you. if you don't overwhelm him with firepower, you're the one getting killed. every army in the fucking world does it this way, or very similar. fucking faggot.

not many people would agree with you

Jesus Christ lay off the video games or shut the fuck up about shit you dont understand

Have you ever even handle or trained on a mg? At any given range thats within a mg range of effectiveness you should be able to create a beaten zone which is a 2m diameter area where 80% of rounds fired should hit and most machineguns push a 1000+m in range. If your telling me that you would stick your head up after 8 rounds of 7.62x51 just whipped by you and killed three of your buddys then congratulations you really are retarded.

Water is really heavy but even though soldiers don't mind drinking their own urine at all, they refuse to wear Fremen stillsuits because they "seem vaguely sandniggerish".

Read “The Things They Carried” by Tim O’Brien. There’s a good list of what soldiers where carrying during the Vietnam War. Link: savanna.auhsd.us/view/26051.pdf

Or 1kg/1Litre

It's weird how nicely that converts

>weird how that converts
>1 gram is defined as one cm^3 of water
>1,000 cm^3 of water is 1,000 grams
>THATS WEIRD
WDHMBT?

All of this, but I would add NVGs w/ mount, comms, batteries for comms (ludicrously heavy), medical equipment including litters, SSE kits, EPW kits.
And then when I was a machine gun TL I had to carry a LRF, thermals, m192 ground mount, huge fucking binos. Really ammo weight can't be underestimated. Another member of my team would carry the AT stuff, AT4, CG, or jav w/ CLU.
The sandbags aren't much weight though, obviously didn't carry them full.

>toiletries
ans a personal toiletry stash weapped ate tight and kept secret

>the basic infantry load is 27 pounds, everything else is FUBAR
Bitch please, summer surge basic FTX load is 35 in pack for a total of 70. Actual infantry must do double

not that guy but

Attached: reinier.jpg (480x360, 19K)

Current loadouts were determined back when we were still walking around with giant helium balloons attached to our packs, but it turned out all you had to do was shoot it and a soldier's spine would telescope catastrophically, so they took away the balloons.

>plus the donkey does anal
Yikes...

Those fucking quads

Attached: brah.jpg (941x1413, 691K)