Bugging out

In light of the California Camp Fire that's still burning and has destroyed entire cities where 25,000+ people lived as an example of the importance of quickly being able to bug out. You have minutes to get your supplies to your car and get as far away from your current location or will burn and die. Even taking a few minutes too long will mean the difference between life and death. What equipment do you take with you and how long will it take you to get it to your car? Where do you go? Keep in mind that anything you leave behind will be lost forever.

Video of a man who survived while people who took just slightly longer to leave died within walking distance of where he bailed out of his vehicle and jumped into a creak:
liveleak.com/view?t=CfHfb_1541798651

Attached: camp fire cars.jpg (945x630, 75K)

That's the nightmare fuel video I was talking about in the other thread.

As for me. Laptop, I have a binder with all of my important documents, Glock 23, bugout bag. Most of my guns are in a fire rated safe so hopefully it'll be enough. I can't take them all with me on short notice. I have supplies in my car for emergencies, and I have slept in it before (although it's uncomfortable, being an SN95 Mustang). If I have to ditch the car it's just the BOB and me.

I reckon I can get on the road with about 5 minutes notice.

>cars and foliage completely immolated
>plastic mailbox, the reflectors on it, and the wooden pole with the address on it are intact

Attached: tarnation.jpg (800x450, 88K)

Why was the truck not destroyed?

that is pretty odd considering the cars got hot enough the aluminum melted. The post could be made of concrete though

Something like this would just be a dash out the door as fast as possible. I'd load up my family, grab all the cash I have hidden and book it. Oh and I'd take my bottle of Dalmore King Alexander III.

>she had to put her makeup on, she died because of it
holy shit

the other dude died for a good reason at least
but apparently his truck and dogs survived? And the fire came over the truck?

Seeing as how I'm always arms distance away from my gun. It'll take me about 2 seconds to fly out the front door and to my car.

i wouldn't live somewhere that faces an existential disaster predictably every year in the first place

jeeps cant do nothin right

Hey, a real situation where a bug out bag isn't retarded.

>she had to put her makeup on

Attached: Father_Dougal_McGuire_portrait.jpg (274x363, 14K)

the guy who shot the video shows his jeep cherokee where it was hot enough to melt the plastic trim, tailights, and grille but the tires are intact

I wouldnt live somewhere where gross government mismanagement of potentially destructive natural forces creates massive yearly emergencies

hey at least she made it to the polls to vote the other day

The plastic trim only partially melted, but the tires are very thick (it's on a lift kit and appears to have beefed up offroad tires) and remember that they are made of vulcanized rubber so they do have a degree of heat resistance.

He's really lucky that the smoke didn't stall out his engine. Seeing as how it's an XJ Cherokee it's probably running the old 4.0L 6-cyl which dates way the fuck back to the 1960s. It's a very basic design that can run in very sub-optimal conditions. As you can see the XJ is a great SHTF vehicle.

This thread made me realize that I could move my camping gear, important documents, and anything I really care about to my car in maybe 10-15 minutes and that I could comfortably live in an apartment the size of a hotel room if I didn't need to be able to entertain guests. I'm somewhat bothered by this realization.

lmao i could live in a walk in closet, step it up

I already do

Attached: b2f.jpg (680x447, 23K)

Seriously what the fuck. It just made me realize that some people think that "it could never happen to them"

It's also useful to get a respirator with a p100 filter as it works against smoke, although even when there's a ton of smoke in the air tards will still give you funny looks for wearing one.

How fireproof is your safe? In that kind of fire it's doubtful anything would make it.

KILL MORE VENTURA
I LIVE IN BURBANK
PRO 2A

I said it in the other thread but I'll say it again, your looks are unimportant when your life is on the line.

I live in the storage loft of a barn
I have to crawl on all fours up here
My back hurts

>MUH MAKEUP
soot

Someone on my block organized a meeting a few years ago about how the whole block should deal with emergencies, primarily quakes in this area. Only three households, including myself, out of about twenty showed up. Goes to show that a lot of people really don't give a shit about preparing for the worse.

Have a vehicle BOB. (First aid kit, flashlight, batteries, concealable firearm, etc)

Extra tire or two in the trunk.

Food, water. Radio. Local and state map.

Jerry cans of fuel. More bonus points for as much as you can have.

I wouldnt even be able to begin to think how I would be able to process that. Your friends and neighbors burnt bodies everywhere... wow

Jow Forums real talk. Your house, your guns, your creature comforts mean nothing if you won't be alive to enjoy them. If this shit is happening just leave. You are worth more than your net worth.

And buy insurance.

Jesus, just leave the fucking documents, makeup and trivial shit and get all the warm bodies in your house out first and grab a loaded gun. I know fires blow through fast but there should be warnings first, and if not or you get trapped on your way out just fucking commit suicide with your loved ones before burning or suffocating to death.

Or, OR. Don’t live in a place that has a tendency to light on fire every couple of years.

THE MAILBOX, ALFRED. THE DEMOCRATS FAKED THE WHOLE THING

Attached: C00E1C02-D2E4-4A49-8C34-476202484C0C.jpg (280x267, 26K)

Probably not fireproof enough, but if I have all of 5 minutes I'm just not going to have time to move everything from it.

It applies to anything user. I need assholes to shitpost with.

That's how it's going to be my man. Are you still working with the three? Three families working together is infinitely better than one in times of crisis.

The scariest thing about it is that those who dont prepare would be the first to become desperate to survive.

Always be careful on who you talk to, you dont want the wrong person to find out that you are stockpiling/preparing for XYZ event, because when XYZ comes he and whoever else he told will be the first to show up at your door wanting to be rescued.

If only we had listened to Homer's idea...

Attached: MAKE UP TIME.gif (720x400, 3.76M)

I actually live in an apartment the size of a large hotel room. It is cozy in every way.

Is the guy in the video fucking Steve Carlsberg from Welcome to Night Vale? Sounds just like him.

I thought it was weird at first too, then thinking about it smoke inhalation + emotional mood makes for a weird voice.

He gets one warning if he comes up and asks, and maybe even some food and water if I feel generous, or he wants tp trade at gold for water prices. If somebody tries to steal, well looters get the bullet.

No wonder he survived. He just had to follow the arrows and the dotted lines.

Sadly, that part made me chuckle a bit because it probably took her a shit ton time and they were probably all waiting on her to finish her make and boom. To late your lost to the zone.

He still should've stayed in Night Vale; forest fires are much less common in the desert.

Those are usually the first to die.

Attached: 3BFC152F-7045-4EE4-A446-5E9637F4E545.jpg (1116x628, 195K)

I hate Californians as much as the next guy, but good God, that must’ve been a terrifying way to die. Trapped in your car because of smoke and flame with your loved ones screaming and praying for mercy. That little piece of charred, something, that must’ve been a small dog kinda got to me, too. I’ve got a few ankle biters myself.

Just, jeez, man. And I thought drowning would be the worse way to go. I couldn’t imagine dying like that.

If they had guns they could have quickly and painlessly ended their lives.

Every year I send a flash drive and several printed pictures of my family to my parents and my in laws. In the event that our house gets wiped out we have two opportunities to replace what was lost. We have two pairs of everything, radios, cash, passports and armbands with id for my small children. I also conceal carry even though it's legally grey but it is legal in an emergency. I have a trunk gun as well. These bags sit next to my front door in a closet. I can leave in a moments notice and I did recently. Evacuation was lifted and I am now home. All my documents are locked in my massive gun safe, which is in a somewhat hidden locked room.

Bay Area resident spotted

The old |6 is un-fucking-killable. I've seen one drive up running on 4 cylinders, still chugging along. The two misfiring cylinders had pistons cracked into multiple pieces.

Maybe if California did the controlled burns like they're supposed to, the state wouldn't have out-of-control wildfires every fucking year.

A fire like that would consume all the oxygen in the area.

IIRC Environmentalist voted to stop doing controlled burns because it would destroy the homes of some lizards and birds that use all of the dried up dead trees as homes.

Yeah I get that. Even if they did have a gun, I’d bet that the smoke inhalation either knocked them out or weakened them so I doubt they’d have the chance to self-ventilate. But, shit, man. After seeing this on liveleak and a hurricane first hand, I’m gonna get serious about bug out bags.

I wanted to sleep tonight.
I always thought drowning would be pretty terrible, this has got to be far worse.
>too hot to get out of car
>starting to cook in car
>crying in fear, absolute terror
>huddle together as you get cooked
on a completely unrelated note, I wonder if you could survive by jumping into a small pond with scuba gear.

Are you serious?
Can we get those cunts live on tv answering a few questions?
Specifically
>Where do you think those lizards and birds are now?

the smoke inhalation probably killed most of those people first.

that actually makes me feel quite a bit better.

>smoke inhalation
What is the cheapest possible mask/respirator that could help prevent that long enough to gtfo.

People with pools have rarely survived by getting in it. Some elderly man survived but his wife died because she couldn't handle the smoke inhalation. He waited on her to be ready to evacuate but she took to long and so he forced her into a pool because they were surrounded. He held onto the edge burning his hands horribly while coming up for air every so often. So scuba if you had an air tank ready would work. I think it was about 45 minutes until the fire burned it all and he could get out.

no idea just bare in mind that fire makes more than just smoke. Carbon dioxide, toxic chemicals from burning and less oxygen are also limiting factors depending on your circumstances. A fire outdoors obviously isn't going to turn your surroundings into a vacuum but its mark against you

ive always wondered if it would be possible to carry one of those little oxygen cans that you can buy in sports/outdoorsy stores rigged to a mask or something

>she took to long and so he forced her into a pool because they were surrounded.
Seems like we have a reoccurring theme here
>So scuba if you had an air tank ready would work. I think it was about 45 minutes until the fire burned it all and he could get out.
That's more reasonable than I thought. I was assuming an air tank but wasn't sure how long the fire would linger or if it would heat the pool up enough to kill you.

In one of these sorts of situations how do you quickly manage family and pets and usher them to safety so quickly? Seems like one of those sickening scenarios where more people makes it more of a death sentence.

the environment was hot enough to burn his hands. Imagine having to breathe that shit and hold in coughing fits under water. that man was made of some hard shit

women age poorly physically over all compared to men

No one deserves to go like that.

That said, I guess living in a 70 degree year round paradise has its price.
Meanwhile I’ll go to sleep in my nice warm house after freezing my ass off all day. Safe in the knowledge that freezing to death is a hole lot better than burning to death.

That's pretty much everywhere except maybe the Northwest, though. Hurricanes in the South and Southeast do way more damage on a more regular basis than the fires in Cali, Midwest has tornadoes and crazy-ass hail and thunderstorms, Northeast gets blizzards, etc.

Hey me too, pretty much. (My address is technically LA but I do all of my shopping etc. in Burbank.) What's your favorite gun store around here?

>Whole not hole

Attached: EB1A4EEE-7C9D-4027-AF0A-20D32261EAF7.jpg (1138x749, 289K)

Obviously a kiddie pool or any other above ground wouldn't work but a normal below ground pool would. Normally these fires are incredibly fast burning and once the surrounding area has burned out you won't burn your hands being in the pool or need the o2 tank and a proper mask and filter would be fine to wait. The real problem would be waiting to get out. And elderly man survived it with no mask or anything of course he was tough as nails but with a bit of prep having a pool could save you.
Also yeah women don't handle emergencies well or time frames. "hey we need to be there by 2" means showing up late, that shit doesn't fly when there are fires. Down here for the Tea Fire the properties above and below my grandma's burned, we had to evacuate her and the fireman originally wouldn't let us through but we convinced them. She was trying to get us to take shit as the houses further up were catching on fire one by one and the fire was also sweeping below to block the road out. We physically had to pick her up to get her out of the house.
When a fire starts near you, you load up and move shit to a complelety safe non danger area. If you are a Californian you should know how fires act and what's a burn danger. If you have a friend with a non wood house with no trees or shrubs around it, that's a good place to put stuff that isn't all that important if you have time. But otherwise you load up your car with all the really important shit and the second it's burning towards your road to leave you fucking leave. We had a fire last year at the end down here and it was clear from the beginning it wasn't going to burn to our house so we didn't evacuate, we still loaded up but it wasn't moving below us. The problem is people who can't think and so they don't realize that sure they left their house... But the road is on fire for a mile.

Yeah, I was going to try to sleep for once, but that’s out the window. I remember hearing about a few people who got trapped in their cars on the highway or in the garage during hurricane Michael. I doubt that would’ve been much different. I still can’t decide which would be worse, though; drowning or burning.

>take charge
>grab family
>throw them in car/truck
>we forgot the dog
>too bad

>what if your only family is the dog?

Attached: 1532112715877.png (654x650, 310K)

Can you put a safe within a safe to protect documents.

Attached: 337F37F9-9B53-4E66-849E-346BA980A575.jpg (450x450, 57K)

>forgets only family in the middle of a disaster
Whew

>if he's smart enough he'll stick with you without being told

Attached: Kuchi.png (686x781, 284K)

This is the purpose of a bugout bag. For me the plan is
>Grab pistol from bedside table
>Grab bugout bags and my two favourite rifles from their spot
>Throw laptop and harddrive in bob
>Grab minisafe from the big safe
>Collect dog and chickens
>Get in the 4x4
>Leave
Lacing up my boots would take almost as much time as the rest of the procedure combined.
If my gf's home then she handles the animals and we get out even faster.
If we have more time then there's also a suitcase of packed clothes, my camera, the rest of the funs and a few more sentimental items ready to be swept into a laundry bag. We'd also grab more food and water from the pantry, and load the bikes onto the back of the car.

The bugout bags have changes of clothes, 72h food, camping gear and the like but they're not primarily set up as 'disappearing innawoods bags', their first purpose is to keep us safe and comfortable in a shortterm evacuation forced by some sort of disaster exactly like this. They've also got ready cash, a small amount of gold and the trade goods I've found make the best bribes (at least in the developing world).
The rest of our camping gear lives in the 4x4 anyway
The harddrive has all our photos, insurance details and copies of our important documents. Another HD stays with my gf's cousins but it's not updated as often.
The minisafe has the most important hardcopy documents and a few items of particular sentimental or financial value.

We could live perfectly comfortably just grabbing the bugout bags on the way out the door. With a minute more the complete loss of the house and everything in it would barely be anything more than an excuse to take some time off work.
More time to gather more sentimental items would always be nice but the most important thing is our lives and everything else is insured.

There're friends and family who would be happy to take us in (and we've discussed it) but honestly we'd probably just turn the evac into a comfy old roadtrip.

Yes. And that's a good way of both raising the fire rating and ensuring you have the most important documents easily grabbed in an evac.

why not store your documents electronically on a portable HD? i keep mine (what little ive considered important) on a 32 GB thumb drive attached to my keys.

The documents themselves are in a zipped folder labeled "Metal Marines 2" under a list of 50 or some SNES roms

This is what gets me, and I've seen it happen enough where I can't even blame her. Some people are just unable to deal with that kind of stress and can't make the kind of decisions they need to in those situations. Her choice cost her and her son their lives, and it's more upsetting to me than I'd care to admit.

i was reading a book a few years ago about surviving horrible circumstances. An older lady tells about her plane landing in the ocean off the coast of greece or something. She said as soon as water started coming in she unbuckled and started dragging herself up the aisle to the exit. She said there was a younger woman who had a blank look on her face that just stared at the water as it came over her face then she just started flailing.

I’m thinking of house fires mainly. In shtf I’d just grab the box.
I already keep them in a metal file box in the safe but the fire rating is under 1000 degrees.

>Seems like we have a reoccurring theme here
Women would literally die if they had to fend for themselves. Holy shit, if she's still doing stupid shit like putting on makeup, that's when you slap her and drag her out.

but would you remember to grab it? the reason i put the thumb drive on my keys is because i instinctively make sure i have them on me since i was a teenager. why not take advantage of it

Yes. First because it has all our documents and a HD with ten years of pics.
Second because it’s next to my grandfathers .45.
Neither are getting left behind.

>a roasty
>bottom text

Attached: 1359154349565.png (233x263, 89K)

Good. Fuck rural/hill cumskins.

You have plenty of time to evacuate if you aren't a retard or an unlucky mother fuck who has the fire start within a mile or two form their house. The people who die normally are the elderly who can't get out fast enough. Last fire I actually evacuated out of I had to drive through on my way back from Texas, well actually two. But I got home and packed and got all my shit out that mattered in about 3 trips to a friend's so that if it got bad I could leave asap. If it's fire season you should be ready if your area hasn't burned, if it's burnt somewhat recently you don't really need to be ready.

My grandmother refused to leave the first time as we were being blocked off trying to get her so we physically put her in a car. Now we have to deal with her panicking while the fires 25 miles out. My ex I had to tell her she was being an idiot and that her bed frame really wasn't that important and that I wasn't going to waste time saving that over important shit or die because of a bed frame. A lot of women just live so far out of reality when it comes to danger that they lock up. My great grandmother came from Italy and survived some fucked up shit and was 85 and making her neighbors leave for one of the fires before she passed. A lot of women just have never dealt with loss or when they did it was socially acceptable to lock up and cry. Emergencies is the same thing, having been in an emergency situation before and doing something helps prepare massively for the next time. If you just sat there and cried and everything worked out fine then you'll probably do the same shit. Most these fires or past fires the women's husband's were younger and would have been taking care of literally everything, but when they start getting older they can't do it as fast and they can't "save" their wives. Last fire down here the only death was an elderly woman who crashed her car and died like 5+ miles from the fire. They panic when it's not necessary and when they need to act.

>Can we get those cunts live on tv answering a few questions?

In a single moment, the clearly dangerous policy of a defined group of busybodies destroyed the lives of thousands, caused deaths, and untold misery for their families. To them, I imagine requesting an interview is beyond light handed.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends with environmentalists and policy makers dying in house fires.

whatever works for you meng. The only thing i can say is when my old boss' house burned down he had a computer with a removable hard drive he swore up and down was "in case". His live in gf started a fire in the kitchen but he thought it was containable. Then everything went tits up and he was forced to keep his gf from spraying more water on a grease fire literally. By the time he realized shit was too bad he couldn't get to the shit he knew he needed to take. His HD survived but it hammered into my mind the thought of having multiple options and backups to backups

Just build your house out of stone so you aren't left with nothing.

but wut abut creeprs tho?

Attached: 1504081383111.jpg (500x375, 42K)

Gf starting fire is giving me some flashbacks. I swear to God, I thought I was going to die an early death from having to put out grease fires or just fires from waitress when I worked at this restaurant and then from my ex. The amount of times I had to throw a towel in the sink while it was on fire or cover some abomination in a pan. There's also the one time a waitress managed to light the deep fryer on fire, this of course is all areas they aren't supposed to touch anything in. Every fucking time they'd just scream and then myself of my buddy would have to run to turn off the gas line to prevent an explosion if the whole place went up.

you probably wouldn't have an explosion. regs make restaurants use flashback arresters if they use gas and most deep fryers are electric anyway.

not sure what it is with women thinking that covering their mouth and screaming is making things better.

>not sure what it is with women thinking that covering their mouth and screaming is making things better.
It's an evolutionary instinct to alert the nearest man to fix the problem.

I have a nomex fire hood I wear when it drops below 20 degrees. Makes me look like a giant sperm. But I'm a warm sperm.

Yes obviously but in less severe situations it's far better than going without

Ours was gas and yes our restaurant would have been fine but I wasn't sure about the residential shit connected to us having flashback arresters. For some odd reason we had the gas valve for the whole strip.

Women scream so that a man can come and fix their problems. Similar to kids learning that if they fall they can cry and get attention even if it doesn't hurt. I think one of my favorite things I've ever seen was a woman crying infront of a cop after drunkenly smashing someone with a beer mug, but then a lady cop showed up. Women have just had too many experiences where crying or screaming got what they wanted.

2 passports each?

Nah me and my wife have our passports respectively etc it's late for me.