Precision Rifle General /prg/

Already Dead v3

Links for /prg/:

Group calc program.
>ontargetshooting.com/

Quick video brief with exercises on MIL ranging with practical exercises.
>youtube.com/watch?v=kSbtwSS16Qg

Ballistic calc and chart.
>jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

Turret/ milling/ basic windage/ basic drop/ Practice.
>shooterready.com/lrsdemo.html

Data books.
>scout.com/military/snipers-hide/forums/5539-diy/13433967-d-i-y-data-books

Basic forum work.
>youtube.com/watch?v=8rLfYLM48Ms

Glass basics.
>youtube.com/watch?v=TVF2pdHbX1M

Some guy that thinks he is a Dinosaur, Sawry.
Sniper 101 link for the lazy crowd.
>youtube.com/watch?v=pwG-D0HjCBQ
Playlist.
>youtube.com/watch?v=pwG-D0HjCBQ&list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn

Math suggestions to get you on target.
>millettsights.com/resources/shooting-tips/mathematics-for-precision-shooters/

Blank dope book.
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1S4g3GGWc_ZrLoRyxGRso5bMPRpHaAmyxvtIVj_INddI/edit?usp=sharing

>precisionrifleblog.com/
Optics Review.
>precisionrifleblog.com/2014/09/19/tactical-scopes-field-test-results-summary/

Babby's first lazer range finder.
>amazon.com/dp/B01DS38XM2/

Am I going to break in & out shoot my barrel? No user, you probably aren't.
1st post.
>sniperforums.com/forum/off-topic/44655-gale-mcmillian-barrel-break.html
5th post
>sniperforums.com/forum/rifles/16385-do-you-break-rifles-come-accuracy-garauntee.html

American Hamburgers ballistics calculators.
>bisonballistics.com/point_mass_calculations/new

Attached: 2018-H-S-Precision-Rifle.jpg (800x533, 111K)

I like tikka!

We know

I have been researching bolt guns as I want to get into precision shooting. I do not want to step into the custom built price point, but have been reading about savage, tikka, and remington.

What is recommended on this board? My current goal is to get a decent rifle in 308, and very nice glass. I want to learn to DOPE, etc and if I get hooked (which I prob will), I will consider upgrading the rifle.

Any thoughts on a decent starter rifle with a chassis similar to the OP?

That's not a chassis. Get a Savage, a Tikka or a Howa 1500.

Fuck 308, get a 6.5 CM if you're just starting out. As for a nice chassis gun, your absolutely cheapest but still extremely functional option is getting a Howa barreled action and dropping it in a KRG Bravo chassis. Alternately, the Tikka T3x CTR can be had for about $900 and you can drop it in the aforementioned KRG chassis. If you wanted to cut out the middleman, you can spring for a Tikka Tac A1 and get quite possibly one of the nicest non-custom guns out there. That being said, it will cost you and the only reason I bought one was because I got it for a fucking steal at $1200.

Budget?

I was originally planning to go 6.5 mememoor, especially because i have reloading capabilities, but it seems like you can "learn more" from 308 (reading wind, etc.). Could I not upgrade into a 6.5 in the future?

I would like the rifle to be under 1500-2k and willing to spend 3-4k on glass and mount. Scope can move between rifles easily, so wanting something good.

dang nice budget

Anyone recommend a .338 bolt action for Remington 700 stocks, surgeon ran out of actions in XL with the 30 MOA tilt. Looking for options

Bump

Anyone have a rem 783 heavy barrel? Is it a meme or should I pick one up

Not sure if I should start out with .223 or .308. will be my first big boy rifle

Should I drop 700-800€ on a adjustable stock?
Anyone have experience with Boyds adjustable?

What's the consensus on Bergara?

I wouldn't call the 783 a big boy rifle but 308 is the generally considered best starter cartridge

What rifle what glass?

T3x CTR 24" .308 Win
Kahles K624i

Looking at the KRG X-Ray mostly.
I think raising the cheek piece a bit would help a lot with consistency but that's a lot of dosh for a slight improvement in performance

New to rifles but not firearms in general. Should I start with a 22LR @ ~100 yards to learn, or go straight into a bigger but more expensive (ammo, specifically) setup?

Remington 700 in 223 or 308 is cheap enough and a great starting platform.

Well something that isn't a rimfire is what I'm looking for

Considered the Savage hog Hunter as I like the idea of having some sights but unfortunately no one has any locally.

Do you compete?

Iron sights aren't really /prg/ but I'd be glad to have another autist who worships jeff cooper in here

Yes, static prone 300m off bipod.
Missed 3rd place at the state championship last year by one single point.
Keep in mind this is Europe so the competition is much less but still. I want to qualify for nationals this or next year which you do by being #1or 2 at the state level.

I'd be buying a scope with the gun. But eventually my plan is to do a rem 700 build in which I can transfer the scope over and have the Savage as a iron site let family/friends shoot

223 is ~20 cpr, 22lr is 3 to 5. And Remington's reputation is pretty god awful. I appreciate the feedback but I'm still wary.

Shit
is for

Yes I realize afterwards I spelled Sierra wrong

Attached: target2.jpg (2480x2458, 3.57M)

Seems like the KRG rig would be worth it then. If you're looking to save coin perhaps the MTD LSS?

My rem groups great.

The answer is always more guns

Bump

Looking to get my first precision rifle
T3x CTR in .308 or 6.5 cm?
The furthest range near me goes out to 300 yds.
I don't compete or hunt so this will mostly be just be for fun.
I currently only reload pistol rounds, but it won't be too much trouble to get some rifle rounds going.

308 for releoad

Why not 6.5 if I'm reloading? Isn't its factory more expensive? Is .308 easier or something?

308 and 6.5 Creedmoor are the same price factory wise

I strongly suggest 22lr. I went 223 savage axis and my 10/22 is favorite gun

I like my 10/22 because 22lr is allowed on thrle pistol range at my local, and the pistol range is 100 yards.

pew

Attached: 002.jpg (935x430, 107K)

You can. Rebarreling is quite simple. And yes, handicaps will teach you to get the fundamentals of precision shooting down to a T. But there are better, cheaper, and more difficult options. .22lr out to 200 yards will test the abilities of any shooter. .223/5.56 past about 600 yards will as well. In short, you can probably teach yourself a lot more than you think using rifles you already own.

6.5 if you reload. That being said, 300 yards ain't shit and you can do it with both quite easily.

I'm looking at getting into long range shooting, will be using the rifle for hunting as well. So far I'm looking at a tikka t3x lite. Should I get the stainless or blued? Is the lite version any less quality than the Varmint or CTR? I'm going for 6.5 mememoor as well. I'm also looking at a vortex scope, or any other scope preferably under $1000. Any advice?

Is that the LaRue OBR?

Variables under $1000 aren’t usually great with tracking. For a cheap reliable viable optic I always suggest SWFA SS fixed power scopes.

Not looking to shoot super long range, but what is a reliable and "accurate" .223 bolt action for

pew pew
no it isn't those are nice tho

Attached: LaRue Tactical OBR 7.62.jpg (990x330, 49K)

Savage may have options. If you go used there are tons of things like Howa, Tikka, Remington, etc.

Check EuroOptics. They had a couple of PMIIs on sale for around $2600-3000. Then get a Spuhr mount. Recommend a ~40 MOA base unless your rail is already 20 MOA.

Bump

I'm going to add this to the next OP I think.

Actually, on that note can we just make a rec list?

>best glas under $500
>best glass under $1000
>best rifle under $500
>best rifle under $1000
>/prg/'s 1000 yards for $1,000 recs.

1000 is not a good cutoff
2k for glass and 1500 for rifles
Otherwise it's the same shit for 500 and 1000

I get what you're saying. I only posted those because those prices seem to be the most requested.

I'll put together a rough draft at some point for you all to tear apart.

I got hits at 1000 yards using a Savage 10 FCP-SR that I got for $500, a Primary Arms 4-14x44 that I got for $220, and some Aero Precision rings I got for $50. The thousand yard rifle for under $1000 is stupidly easy to achieve.