Pistol hunting/predator defense

Has anyone used 10mm for large game? It blows through ballistic gel even out of short barrels, but how does that compare to actual terminal ballistics against big animals?
Vid related for gel test
youtu.be/qVwbZ0m2llQ

Attached: 58d946d16b348dae558308e92a74ad98.jpg (639x671, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ammoland.com/2018/02/defense-against-bears-with-pistols-97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/#axzz5nRfYd3Yh
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He starts shooting around 3:20

10mm for anything under 1000 lbs

X frame caliber handguns for anything over 1000 lbs

Attached: cfc8bc0110881ca29322c1e326fe07b0.jpg (1000x1231, 208K)

9mm

>*lick*

Is all

>*gnaw*

you need

>*crunch*

Attached: DYN-090116-CLAWS-Map1.jpg (300x423, 193K)

The general rule for black bear as a minimum is a 200gn .40+ diameter bullet at a 1000fps. 10mm should be fine for most things especially if you can match the lower end .41 mag ballistics.

ammoland.com/2018/02/defense-against-bears-with-pistols-97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/#axzz5nRfYd3Yh

Attached: 3A15D8B0-9B96-4281-8AE4-6AFFD26EB3F4.jpg (750x969, 130K)

Underwood seems to, and I pray that SAAMI will lay out specs for 10mm+p and +p+ so

Don't shoot black bears. Poor things are scared of their own shadows as is.

Funny story, I'm friends with a guy who lives up in Alaska, and on a black bear hunt he downed a boar with his rifle, and afterwards went up to finish it with his 9milly.
BANG to the head, and the bear doesnt die. RepeatX15 and the fucker doesnt die, so he ends up shooting it in the head with his rifle. After skinning it he found that the 9mm bullets would pierce through the front end of the skin, bounce off of the skull, and then travel under the hide back to the neck
It shocks me that people think 300ftlbs in a 35 caliber bullet can do anything against brown bears

Attached: Serbia-brown-bear-attacked-and-ate-an-oil-worker.jpg (720x540, 56K)

>The general rule for black bear as a minimum is a 200gn .40+ diameter bullet at a 1000fps
Black bears. Hulking monsters that cannot be stopped by puny .357.

Right.

I would and do trust my .357 in black bear country, along with my ability to yell. When it comes to lower 48 browns even I would be all right with my .357, but I would much prefer my 10mm

10mm has been used by all kinds of Fudds for handgun hunting for a long time. Plenty of forum posts reporting their success.
With enough barrel and the right load 10mm is pretty damn formidable. A good hunting cartridge and a good defensive cartridge are entirely different things though. A hunting cartridge/load just has to be enough to penetrate and destroy vitals with a well aimed and well placed shot. A defensive cartridge needs to penetrate at bad angles while the animals is attacking you, not presenting its side kill zone all nice and unassuming.

Thick bone is a real bitch, and path of least resistance always applies. Its actually somewhat common to see a projectile skirt around a bone in the body and traverse just under the skin. Happens when people catch one to the rib depending on the angle of entry.
Shooting any thick skulled animal in the head is poor form because of that. Hogs, any kind of bear, you have to go for the heart.

Checked
Yeah, looking around earlier I found a man on YouTube that killed a Cape buffalo at 100yds with his 10mm. Damn impressive.

dafuck was he trying to shoot through it's skull for? has he ever been hunting before?

No idea, and yeah a fuck ton.

A stern look and not being manlet is enough for black bears lmao.

Only if its a bluff charge, which they mostly are, but they're still liable to really charge and maul your ass.

Would .44mag or .45 colt be a better defensive round, or is 10mm still superior?

>pistols for bear defense
I wouldn't honestly. 308 in a br minimum. 45-70 govt is great. 375 h&h is used a lot. T. Alaskan

The guys I know up there all carry 10mm and/or 460SW mag+, depending on where they are. 375 h&h is a great cartridge

44 over 45lc, and between 44 and 10 you have to weigh 44s objectively more powerful rounds over having 3X as many 10mm that are also great. Hard cast 10mm is great to around 900-1000 pounds, at which point I would switch to a large X Frame caliber.
However, if you're already packing your big iron, there are better options than 44 these days.

not using the greatest hunting pistol of all time what is wrong with you

Attached: Contender-1.gif (1000x529, 281K)

Based

*gets your ap ammo banned*

.44 mag out of a 16 inch carbine is pretty goat.

I have both, 20 and 29, and I carry the Glock 29 almost everywhere. I want to shoot a deer with it but I don't want to have a bad shot and torture it.

Attached: IMG_5027.jpg (3264x2448, 2.31M)

I don’t use 10mm. I use a real man’s round- a .44 magnum.

It's actually crazy how close retard hot 10mm can get to .44 in terms of total energy per shot, while having 3 times the capacity

highest 10mm i could find was around 1000 ftlbs
highest 44 mag was around 1650 ftlbs
seems like a pretty significant difference

It is definitely less. But max 10mm is one third less powerful with three times as much capacity.

That's a winning ratio in my book

Attached: JI4sDSo.jpg (792x612, 218K)

Reno. 250lb minimum.

Why does he have a mug of baked beans?

It's for the golden retriever

you definitely don't handgun hunt

Fucking terrible. Not the caliber, it's the bullet. Hunting is not like personal defense -- you need a combination of controlled expansion and penetration, whereas PD ammo leaves you with controlled expanding rounds optimized for human tissue. If you're going after bigger game like bears the general pecking order of priorities falls first with grain weight (as much as allowable), followed with core expansion. Personal defense rounds are basically completely hollow rounds (no core) with folded pieces of copper attached with solder. Not saying they might not work at close range, but they'll have no where near the efficiency to have any reasonable expectation of recovering your game.

>Thick bone is a real bitch, and path of least resistance always applies.
Which is yet another reason why ballistic gel tests are fucking useless to give an idea of real world performance.