Should I be practicing more with my carry pistol or my full-sizes...

Should I be practicing more with my carry pistol or my full-sizes? I seem to do worse with my full sizes despite my Big Chungus hands.
Pic related is with my Smith Shield, about 15 ft.
All of them are 9mm fyi.

Attached: git gud.jpg (2337x2122, 771K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ylh4DyMADRU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If you're efficient enough with your carry pistol and think youe full size groupings are bad train more with the full size.

always focus practice on your SD guns. If thats a static slowfire target then you have pretty big underlying fundamentals issues that need working on.

jesus fuck is that really your grouping at 5 yards, user?
In general you need to practice far more (and that doesn't mean just emptying mag after mag at the target) if that's how you're shooting at 5 yards in a controlled environment.
To specifically answer your question, practice with your EDC until you're competent at 10 yards or more, then focus on your other guns. The gun that's on you the most is the one you need to be best with.

>then you have pretty big underlying fundamentals issues that need working on.
Like what? Can you tell just by my groupings?
That target was stationary btw.

>is that really your grouping at 5 yards, user?
Believe it or not, this is one of my better ones.
>To specifically answer your question, practice with your EDC until you're competent at 10 yards or more, then focus on your other guns. The gun that's on you the most is the one you need to be best with.
I've also heard the opposite; use a bigger/longer/heavier pistol because of the larger sight radius and less recoil.

Well first and foremost I can tell you're yipping like a motherfucker. You're putting too much downward pressure on the gun as the trigger breaks, which is exaggerating your shot patterns way low. Second of all, I think you might need to work on consistency of your sight picture and your grip. Those tend to be the #1 reason for inconsistent shots like that (you are all over the place horizontally and vertically). You may also be jerking the trigger (this is often an integral part of yipping).
My suggestions are:
1. Have a buddy load your mags with a random number of bullets and hand them to you without you knowing the round count. When you get to the last shot, you should be able to physically see/feel your yipping and jerking.
2. Load a single round in the mag, pick a very specific spot on the target, try to hit it exactly. Repeat until you can consistently hit close or on that spot. Once you get to that, up it to 2 rounds at a time and repeat, trying to make the hits touch.
3. Get a really solid feel for your trigger. This means getting snap caps and loading them in the chamber, then slooooowwwwwlllyyy pulling the trigger until it breaks. Feel how long it pulls until it stiffens up, get to know that. Feel where it stops before it breaks and fires, get to know that. Feel how much weight you have to put into it before it breaks and fires and, again, get to know that really well. After you know your trigger super well, do the same super slow firing (paying attention to how the trigger feels) at the range to learn how it feels when it fires.

Also, side note, keep your finger depressed fully until the gun completely cycles or until you are ready for the next shot. If you let go of the trigger or let it forward while the gun is cycling, you will end up allowing the gun's recoil to move the weapon far more than if you keep a firm grip against it.

Also forgot to mention, check how you are holding your gun. This vid is a good primer for that, he goes into a ton of detail and discusses how to tension your grip so that you get a consistent grip and shot. youtube.com/watch?v=ylh4DyMADRU

I'm aware that I'm anticipating recoil, and trying to work on it.
>Have a buddy load your mags with a random number of bullets and hand them to you without you knowing the round count. When you get to the last shot, you should be able to physically see/feel your yipping and jerking.
I've also had the RO randomly place my snap caps in the mags. Same principle. Should probably do it more often.
>Load a single round in the mag, pick a very specific spot on the target, try to hit it exactly. Repeat until you can consistently hit close or on that spot. Once you get to that, up it to 2 rounds at a time and repeat, trying to make the hits touch.
I have blank copy paper for targets in my range briefcase. Will this be better than aiming at a bullseye?

Otherwise, thanks for the tips.

Your one handed rapid fire groups should look like that

I am gripping properly.
However, should my grip arm be aligned with the gun's bore axis, or at an angle to it (mirroring my support arm)? I currently do the former, and was wondering which is better at managing recoil.

one time pat mac asked his friend how to get tighter groupings, his friend is some kind of crazy competition shooter. he said put as much finger on the trigger as you can and pull directly in. so he tried it and it worked apparently. I tried it last trip and it felt awkward and im pretty sure it didnt do shit for me.

Attached: EDC2.jpg (1536x2048, 1.05M)

you should practice at longer distances. 15m (50ft) still lets pull the trigger like your dates pull their hand away when you reach for them. train at 25m (82ft) to learn the fundamentals. that way you have to apply the techniques to even be on paper.

I think you should spend more time on the range buddy

I want to add that I've been shooting every few weeks for about a year now. I know what I *should* be doing, I just have trouble actually doing it.
Should I also go into the 70mph batting cages, despite not having picked up a baseball bat in 10 years?

I think I should too. If I didn't have to pay the bills, I'd go every day.

Its always so pathetic to see people show of their groups at anything under 25m distance.
This is what my girlfriend shooting for the first time a handgun (9x19) could do at 25m with a shitty Glock 17.

Attached: 555.jpg (1200x1546, 447K)

i don't know jackshit about baseball but shooting at such short distances allows you to do terrible stuff to your muscle memory which will presumably take more effort to get rid of than learning the right techniques from the start.

The point being is that it's harder to hit something that's further away, just as a ball going faster is harder to hit. You don't start the game on hard mode.

You are flinching when you pull the trigger. Get some snap caps(dummy rounds) and load them in the mag with live rounds. This will allow you to see where and how much you are flinching. Then train yourself not to flinch.

You can do this at home to with an !EMPTY GUN!

I have them and use them frequently.

>You don't start the game on hard mode
You don't happen to be a "games journalist" are you?

i see your point but 5m isn't easy mode, it's more like watching a movie.

Maybe, but how far away do you expect to be from an assailant? According to my CC instructor, the average gunfight happens from 6 feet away. Isn't that the whole point of the Tueller Drill?

he isn't flinching he looks to be limp wristing or over compensating and pushing the barrel down

I'm anticipating recoil too much

I think you need to slow down (literally) and go back to fundamentals. You're probably way too tense when you shoot which really exaggerates issues like trigger pull, flinching, and overcompensation. You should be proficient with your EDC but if you're having issues this bad you might want to ease off onthe compact and use a full size until you resolve some of those problems with a lower recoil pistol.

You are anticipating recoil quite a bit. Take time to practice your trigger pull and be sure to really feel the shot and how you react.

Not OP but
my current range is static, 50ft (16.5 yards) *only.* No closer, no further.
It sucks shit but it's close to home. Is this a good way to be practicing, or should I find something else?

Attached: 1654139656_orig.jpg (681x243, 56K)

>shitty Glock 17
no such thing
your gf has shit groups

>According to my CC instructor
Just because some cunt with an RSO badge or a facebook page says something, doesn't make it true. If you can shoot competently at 25 yards, you can at 15 and at 10 and 5 and 2. The inverse isn't necessarily true.

>a cunt with an RSO badge who also teaches CC classes every 2 weeks is a certified instructor by the state
>anons from an Egyptian pingpong board know more than someone who teaches it for a living

Attached: 1557341894753.png (448x357, 6K)

i don't know what the standard engagement range is for self defence scenarios as i don't live in a country where you easily get cc loicenses. all i'm saying is that training at longer distances will force you to learn the fundamentals, which will make you a better shot at any distance.

> 8-10" group with some off the paper at literally 5 yards

Yeah that's pretty piss poor shooting. Should be one ragged hole at that distance. Even if you rapid fire it shouldn't be like that. You are clearly flinching down on your shots