Blades on Hellfire

:^)

Attached: D6KQHQbW0AAD2cO.jpg (680x635, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thedrive.com/the-war-zone/27917/secret-hellfire-missile-with-sword-like-blades-made-mysterious-syria-strike-on-terror-leader
wsj.com/articles/secret-u-s-missile-aims-to-kill-only-terrorists-not-nearby-civilians-11557403411
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The United States has finally recognised the power of the Katana!

Nice.

Attached: woodchip the neo-aristocrats.jpg (584x640, 32K)

>Operation Sword Van

Attached: G88qVry[1].jpg (550x730, 151K)

no, they have improved it.

If we're being real, our current targeting technology could make this work extremely well with a somewhat smaller missile.

What exactly is the point of putting fucking fan blades on an explosive missile

It's real.

thedrive.com/the-war-zone/27917/secret-hellfire-missile-with-sword-like-blades-made-mysterious-syria-strike-on-terror-leader

Attached: sword hellfire.png (407x540, 404K)

wew

Why are we using $100,000 missiles to kill sandnigger terrorists in the first place? Surely we can do it with machine guns, buckets of napalm, or something like that which can still be stuck on a drone but won't bankrupt the country.
>replaces the explosive warhead

it doesnt explode?

therefore its precise as hell, as seen in the pic above
for example, you know your target is the driver but the trunk might have some intel in it
now you have it
besides, this would also allow for better IDing

when the fuck did they start contracting missile design work to COBRA

If it doesn't explode, what's to stop Mahmud from pulling it out of Ahmed's shredded corpse and selling it to China?

>Why are we using $100,000 missiles to kill sandnigger terrorists in the first place?
I fear this is the thinking that'll lead us down into manhack-hell dystopia. Soddin' smart seeking systems spammed and strewn to slice shitposters and the self-reliant to sauce to save some cents.

Attached: b38e4883.jpg (1000x1200, 141K)

You can still fry the internals with a small incendiary charge.
I guess it's cheaper than short range fragmentation.

>Why are we using $100,000 missiles to kill sandnigger
because military industrial congress owns the government and they want to make more money off idiot taxpayers.

Who here breaks gun laws and has the balls to post broofs

Attached: 211BEA25-CC07-4999-989F-800BF2C383EC.jpg (1024x682, 155K)

I had a fairly lengthy conversation along those lines with my pet american as we waited for something to happen out in bumblefuck afuckingainistan.
Basically it comes down to cost-convenience with the USAF, drones are essentially the happy meal of precision strikes once you figure in the costs, some of the munitions are very pricey, but the alternative of getting something like a B1, A10, even the cheaper bomb trucks like F18 and 16's are extremely expensive once you factor in the fuel, pilot training, bombs, various planning and risk assessments that go into the whole back end of logistics.

They just float around, fairly much anywhere and drop the odd 50-60k munition on something important. Manned birds + bombs is sort of more oriented to fast response and emergency scrambles.
I guess there's some use for the folded 1000x kinetic kill, rod from god, but its pretty fucking niche!

The very idea of this is retarded. Fucking journalists being stupid again, the kinetic energy from dropping a hellfire would kill someone just as good as blades and not require any reengineering of the missile.
Using this pic is retarded because guess what metal does when it gets hit by a really fast object? It bends into the object's shape. Guess what're on the back of a hellfire? FINS.

How big do you think Hellfire fins are?

Not that big, but as the metal bent it made the cuts seem larger than they are

At high velocities cuts are the size of the projectile fins, not substantially larger.
It appears that the US really did make a missile with swords. Which is not that unexpected given the long history of inert PGMs.

So what are the blades made out of?

the blades are real, the CIA and DoD have been using them since 2017

Psst... Nothin personnel

Attached: teleports behind you.png (680x635, 288K)

Based

The tail fins on a Hellfire will not make clean edges the width of a vehicle.

Attached: 1287295990959.jpg (310x206, 71K)

smaller hellfires with explosive heads.

Wouldn't just ramming someone with the missile kill them anyway? Those things are going pretty fast.

With an inert warhead it would need to make direct contact to ensure a kill.

So this is how they plan on disarming us. Interesting.

>not require any reengineering of the missile.
HOW ELSE ARE THEY GOING TO GET ANOTHER 100 BILLION FUNDING

The blades expand the missile's kill radius from 130 centimeters to 1-2 meters.

China already has Hellfire missile equivalents, so it's not really a “OMG keep it a secret” piece of equipment.
Unlike that F-35 Japan lost in the ocean, that has top tech in it.

What do you think the circular error probable of an anti tank missile is?

already exist, it's called a dud. Watched an A-10 launch an AGM onto a hadji that failed to detonate on impact, his two buddies in formation lost their shit when he got hit dead on. Fucking multi foot spear ripped him in half and spread his shit all over like a paint splat on the IR cam footage in debrief.

Then came the guns and them running around like a bunch of fucking monkeys. Best was the fuckers trying to set up some rockets in a compound that got set off by the 30mm guns, it was suppossed to limit the damage so civies wouldn't get hit, instead the whole thing fell over as they ran to it, shot off, hit them and set several other buildings on fire.

Anyways the AGM dud is a retarded idea and should just be a HEAT round. We get the benefit of an explosion to create a shockwave, and failing that, mudasar gets to shit his pants watching ahmed become a shiskabob for a flying dragon dildo.

implying a mach stupid impact speed wouldn't oblitterate the entire fucking thing.

Like I said in Watched a dud hit a hadji without det. Fucking IR from the body heat of his splattered parts (and the missile) was pretty far. No way anything of worth would survive that even if the 114 was top tech. Mind you that shits been in use for years. So if those fucking chinese had the ability to copy it, they already had, and I bet that their "equivalents" are actually just as capable.

the LARP is real

>thedrive
These guys should be on every BINGO card, no matter the topic.

While I wouldn't rule it out completely, I would suspect a Viper Strike or APKWS before I dreamed up an AGM-114R variant armed only with pop-out blades.

Original source was Wall Street Journal, everyone else is just repeating what wsj said.
wsj.com/articles/secret-u-s-missile-aims-to-kill-only-terrorists-not-nearby-civilians-11557403411

So since this technically has no warhead, would I only need a rocket motor license for this?

Nice try ATF, you won't get me or my doggo that easily!

Can you even imagine?
>driving along some dusty desert road
>suddenly and from out of nowhere there's a very loud noise much commotion and a sudden burst of light.
>the car slams to a halt
>"what in Allah's name was that!?" You exclaim turning to look at your passenger
>he's gone.
>where he sat is a hole proceeding out the bottom of the car.
>you look up, a hole in the roof, with thin lines around it
>????????

We've basically invented orbital sniper rifles. Bravo you sneaky fucks. Bravo.

The kinetic impact alone would burst everyone in the car like a water balloon

Do exploding children make a pop or a squish sound?

They go braap

Nice

Except the fins aren't two feet across, you fucking idiot

Ironic that you think you know better then prove you know even less

It's SPIKE NLOS

You appear to have a misconception about missile sizes.

Spike NLOS fins won't neatly cut a car roof.

No

1) Not used from aircraft
2) The don't dive directly in from overhead

>1) Not used from aircraft
South Korea use them from AW-159s. They can certainly be air-launched.
But there's nothing implicit that they were launched from the air anyway. Practically everybody has ground troops in Syria. With many operating larger systems than the SPARC launchers. You just have to be somewhere within 20 miles
>2) The don't dive directly in from overhead
With the man-in-the-loop override you could make it dive at any angle you like.

LOL the kinetic force alone will completely disintegrate him
No need for blades

You do understand the blades are to increase the 'guarenteed kill' radius right?

This is kinda scary

Except, you know, if the missile doesn't hit by an inch

they would still fucking die though. Even if the missile is not going to explode, you are still being hit with what amounts to a cannon ball going at mach 1. Whatever walls there are between you and the missile will become shrapnel and if that doesn't kill you, the blades will.

Why not just use a DIME warhead?

Yes, if a ~7 inch diameter missile directly hits you it would be like a cannonball. The blades increase the diameter to several feet.

If the schematic is accurate, the missile with the blade deployed would have a radius of roughly 90cm. The sources I could find mention a CEP of 4-5m. Seems about right to guarantee a hit.

Do you really think a half a ton steel tube filled with concrete hitting near you and essentially turning everything it touches into a shower of shrapnel at mach 1 is not going to kill you

>turning everything it touches into a shower of shrapnel at mach 1 is not going to kill you
No. He clearly states that he thinks that he'll live if the missile misses and nothing touches him.

Here, I drew a picture illustrating 's
point.

Attached: the_point.png (955x537, 10K)

You know what does this exact thing but costs waaaaay cheaper? A fucking bullet.

Someone give this guy the briefing before he posts again. You new hires suck ass

first, that thing is missing the blades that would cut you, second, they impact the ground and wouldn't keep flying straight when they are near the target.

Attached: test.png (955x537, 42K)

A Hellfire is about 100 pounds, not 1000 pounds.

The entire point is killing someone without killing everyone in the vicinity.

What concrete? What if the target is in a car? What if they're on a motorbike? What if they're in a field?

>Do you really think a half a ton steel tube

A Hellfire is 45 kilos you fucking retard

>Hellfire Blades
Damn

You're assuming that they're meant to directly cut the target to pieces instead of dumping their kinetic energy like a supersonic hollow point

edit the "no warhead" to say "nothin personnel" and "blades kill the targeted kid"

just use a small nuke, pussies

big blades seem like the worst thing they could use, why not shrapnel or marbles?

kek

Because it's meant to have no collateral damage, you know, like spraying shrapnel around.

Fucking moron.

but a massive blade coming off wont have any collateral damage? also who the fuck cares once youre at the point where you plan on shooting a missile at them

probably cause the front part of the weapon is dedicated to optics and guidance, a close range shotgun like payload would work better on unguided short range like the Hydra APERS

Glorious American Iron folded 1776 times

They don't shoot out of it you idiot, they're part of it when it impacts

sounds retarded

>Low collateral weapon
>Hurr why not put an explosive in it?

The sheer level of stupidity on here is amazing sometimes. To think this is the average Jow Forums poster.

less collateral then a tube filled with ball bearings going 500 mph

It turns near-misses into hits.

Do you just not understand how this works in the slightest?

>kill important target from 4km away
>kill injure only those in the immediate impact area
>leave the area
>no sniper needed
>no boots on the ground
>no collateral

yeah dumbest thing we've ever thought of

dumber then pigeon guided munitions

Sounds like a mechanic from Pillars of Eternity. Was Josh Sawyer in charge of the missile?

This is the art style I find most sexy. Is there more?

Why blades instead of like.. 100 grams of HE?

Attached: 1291180332293-.jpg (640x480, 73K)

Are you really that stupid?

because they want a warhead that has no explosive charge.

>Weapon specifically made not to explode
>Why don't they just put explosives in it instead

But thats just so out of character for the US, why and why now?

Except weapons have been getting more precise since they were developed.

why not just put a 40+mm buckshot round in the nose?

because they can and PR is king.

Because the Army has so many autistic recruits it figures a missile that literally unsheats katanas will be devastating in their hands