Military Commission

I leave for OCS in less than a month. Any tips from prior that are not so obvious.
Also AMA for a candidate that went through all the BS to get contracted and selected.

Attached: 4C3554F9-BE86-4EB6-93EA-A009B699DBF0.jpg (225x225, 14K)

What is your desired mos

If you make, it listen to your SNCOs boot.

I was thinking about ground intel but I heard it’s a shitty pipeline because they all get rolled into one intelligence mos after 3 years. I’m leaning more towards infantry because I want a good pipeline for promotion and better opportunities for training like jump school or marsoc, also to stack bodies. I don’t know too much about how all the MOSs work because I don’t get to choose until after OCS.

Every prior has already told me this. This is also kind of obvious, to me at least.

I have been thinking of pursuing OCS. I don't want to ask obvious questions but what was the process for you like? Curious how long it took an any tips for someone else.

It’s a long process for many candidates. It took me two years to get the chance to go. I’m not the exception either, many other candidates have had the same experience, some longer than that.
You see this on mil enlistment gen all the time. Don’t make my mistake but do this
>LOYING ABOUT MEDICAL HISTORY = GOOD
Please ask as many questions. I was totally in the dark when I started and got a lot of shitty advice BEFORE I went to the OSO.

Also get in some shape before heading to the OSO they’ll make you do an initial pft and if you suck ass at running pull-ups crunches they’ll send you packing. I see it all the time.

>Infantry for promotion opportunities
The infantry is not where you go for easy promotions. It's the last place you go for easy promotions. If you just want to do 20 to collect a pension, it's not the right place for you.
>better opportunities for training like jump school
You won't go to jump school as an infantry platoon commander.
>marsoc
Any mos can try out for marsoc, at least in the enlisted. You can go to jump school if you go here.
>also stack bodies
The wars are effectively over. You won't be stacking any bodies. SF are virtually the only ones that see combat anymore. Also, it sounds fun to go and kill some muslims up until you're in-country and get your legs blown off. Also, all that SF / marsoc do is train muslims how to kill people. These are the same muzzies that have been killing us for the past 2 decades and the same ones that will be killing us for the next 2. It's a reciprocal process.

Attached: IMG_0698.jpg (3264x2448, 2.16M)

So what mos. there’s only 10 or so. If not infantry what then?

Adjutant Officer – 0180. ...
Intelligence Officer – 02. ...
Infantry Officer – 0302. ...
Logistics Officer – 0402. ...
Communications Officer – 0602. ...
Field Artillery Officer – 0802. ...
Combat Engineer Officer – 1302. ...
Tank Officer – 1802.
There’s about 6 more.

>The OCS attrition rate is 30–75%

kek, you'll LOVE Quantico, it's the fun capitol of the East coast, and the Corpsmen at the Naval hospital will blow you for a candy bar.

Yeah a lot of offices send shit bags, quotas and all.

From what I read you can either go through OCS from college NROTC or after you get a degree and you apply. Just want to see how you went through.

I was an 0311. The primary reason I got out was that I started reading and found out that we're fighting these wars and arming insurgents because it benefits a certain middle-eastern country. Also, the job takes a toll on your body (back, joints, hearing). This will be especially true if you are a Platoon Commander. You can't ever slack physically. This is all in addition to the fact that the Marine Corps is being constantly faggotized. Women are now in the infantry, seniors catch hazing charges for properly training junior Marines, etc, etc.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't recommend military service in the present day.

Yes both are options. But you can go during college. Yes during college. Doesn’t matter if you just started or if youre a junior. I’m going PLC combined which is basically regular OCS you’re thrown in with all the other college complete candidates. They’re is PLC which is a split OCS. 6 weeks for two summers. You go either sophomore junior year or juniors seniors.

>the job takes a toll on your body (back, joints, hearing). This will be especially true if you are a Platoon Commander.
Fag. Everyone knows Gunny runs the platoon, and the butter bar stays in his hootch and plays snuggle bunnies with the corpsman and RTO.

Also I’m not even done with college I’m only a junior.

Who even are you, you dumb faggot? Keep playing videogames.

Why does this sound like a boomer response.

>Who even are you
Engrish as a second language? You get a box of Crayolas for your MRE, Jar Jar Twinks. Go lick squid taint, turd burglar.

wait, don't we have /meg/ for this shit?

Attached: 1551677141251.jpg (720x960, 111K)

You say that but you fuck head officers somehow manage to fuck it up

That’s for boots. This is for boottenants. Just like real world the officer side is drowned out by the tens of thousands of recruits. There’s only two times of the year that OCS meets for the corps at least. And there’s only few platoons each iteration. I think this deserves its own thread. Besides this is more of an ama.

I’ve actually held management positions so I understand this principle at least a little. College and the corps wasn’t my first option in life.

Fuck going that route, I'll just easy peasy shitbag my way in through medical corps.

Attached: 1522554782237.gif (466x350, 1.48M)

Wow. We’re you the corpsman at prep telling us this?

Since you're about to ship out anyway, I'll give you the advice you want. POGs are faggots. There's no point in joining the military if you're not going to be a grunt. If I were to commission as a mustang, my MOS choices would be as follows:
1. Infantry Officer
2. Intelligence Officer - (you can still be a recon / SS platoon commander with this MOS)
3. Combat Engineer Officer - I have no clue what the officers do, but I know that what unit you get sent to will determine how POG your job is going to be. Some of them build bridges, and others get to do quasi-grunt things like blow up enemy fortifications. (But you'll be doing none of that; because you're an officer).

If you become an Infantry PLT commander / something similar then here's what you should do:
1. It sounds obvious, but don't develop an elitist attitude: A lot of officers do this, and the enlisted can see it. You'll look like a frat-boy faggot. Remember that you could put a solid senior lance from your platoon through TBS and he'd be leading the platoon as well as you. If someone doesn't know something, it's likely because they haven't been taught.

2. Back up your senior Marines: Hazing charges are getting thrown around like candy now a days. A senior keeping a boot awake to make sure his room is ready for field day is not hazing. A senior putting hands on a boot (not straight up beating) is not hazing. A senior PTing boots is not hazing. If you allow your senior Marines to be stripped of any authority, the seniors will stop caring, the boots won't learn their knowledge, and they'll be undisciplined, fat, and lazy.

3. NCOs shouldn't get leadership billets based on rank alone: If you have a hard-charing LCpl that knows his knowledge and is good to go, he shouldn't be unseated from a Team Leader or Squad Leader position just because a Corporal showed up in the PLT. Billets should be based on merit, not rank.

You're both gay; that is all.

*As an RN
You're a retard, the military needs pogs. Have fun with your working parties.

Thanks for the solid advice. Do a lot of 2nd lts go for the hazing charges? Are they perpetuating the culture of write ups and stupid shit?

Get in shape now, don’t waste any time.

Never quibble with the trainers, ever. Accept their criticism, apply it if you think it’s valid, never make the same mistake twice.

Basic you are worried about keeping yourself straight. OCS it’s your and all your soldiers.

Don’t buck your fellow student leaders when they are in charge, support them fully. Speak your mind of course, but support them. You will be in a leadership position and you need their support.

Think through what you are doing, play out your plans like a mental movie, it will reveal details you might miss otherwise.

Tacs will make you feel like you don’t belong there to induce artificial stress. Never stop, never quit, keep moving forward.

You choose to succeed by preparing. Start now.

Fucking pog neck yourself.

nah, all the non-attention starved candidates just go to /meg/
>ama
point reinforced, not even a boot yet

You're a literal cuck. Have fun being a faggot for the rest of your life.

Attached: compressed.jpg (974x550, 180K)

Never seen advice in meg for candidates. It’s ENLISTMENT general not commission general for a reason.

Why am I a cuck user?

1. I've never heard of an officer getting charged for hazing. It's the enlisted, senior Marine's job to train and educate the boots, not a platoon commander's (they also live in the barracks with them) - so when the senior Marines train the boots, some of the boots will cry that they're being hazed, and seniors get charged.
2. A lot of the "anti-hazing" and boot-lover culture is coming from a lot higher of a level. It's Marine-Corps wide. The battalion commander / company commander can contribute a lot, but a cucked LT absolutely contributes to the boot-loving and subsequent lack of discipline in his own platoon.

You just need to talk to every Marine who's deployed in your platoon and let them know that you believe in "tough, realistic training", and will not tolerate a boot that doesn't know his knowledge. You should expect every senior Marine to contribute to the training and teaching of the boots.

There's always at least 1 boot that cries to the command that he's being hazed. You need to back up the accused senior and vouch for his character - as long as he wasn't doing REAL hazing (anything gay, throwing bleach on boots, unprovoked, severe beatings).

>Never seen
because you're new and didn't bother to try, but since your head is already firmly entrenched in your own ass anyway, you'll fit right in as an o. the thread isn't up, but there's some commissioning info in the op of every thread, also a hotspot for aviation and pilot info, especially army woft.

Attached: image0.jpg (4032x3024, 1.86M)

Where's your PEQ, user?

Attached: compressed 2.jpg (973x729, 203K)

Fuck piloting you fag. Only term faggits who want a “good job” outside the military fly.

>laughs in national guard
it's locked up with my nods and other ssi I don't want to lug around. see how clean that shitter is? I barely bother to draw a weapon at all during my monthly larp
(You)

Attached: IMG_4687.jpg (4032x3024, 2M)

Are you an 11b?
I've been toying with the possibility of joining the national guard so I can be a weekend grunt. There aren't any Marine Corps reserve infantry units in my state.

did you get a fucking car for all that shooting at cax, boot?

Yes.

was, now 11A. we have a marine reserve recon company and a line company in my state, but two entire infantry battalions in the guard. did a meet and greet drill with damn near everyone before I enlisted, but the army still had lrs so they won. what state? imo, if there's group support or aviation near you, I'd highly recommend that instead.

Attached: IMG_4658.jpg (3478x3022, 2.66M)

I'm in FL. It wouldn't be worth my time if I had to leave my mos. The army has so many weird niches. Didn't know LRS existed. Sounds pretty sucky. Being in a Mountain division I always thought would be pretty cool.

Alabama, hey neighbor. we just got a company commander from Florida that washed out of selection, total weirdo. lrs was great for schools and at, got to fuck off in Romania every now and again, and the Georgia lrs was even better.
>niche
fucking tell me about it, group support has a guy for everything. I'm on orders with a public affairs detachment that had one of those geospatial warrants, I don't even know wtf he does.

It's so interesting. We've got LAR, Recon, SS platoons - that's about it. Do E-4s regularly get sent to advanced schools over there? Army organization is difficult to understand to an outsider. Mechanized, Airborne, Mountain, etc, etc. You could compare any Marine Corps battalion with another one and they'd both have the same knowledge base; no specialties.

Remember this isn't training. There is a reason you're called a candidate instead of a cadet. You're being screened. TBS is the real training.

Don't even concern yourself about the future just focus on doing good and getting through the bullshit. Worry about MOS's and other shit when you get to to TBS.

Funniest part of it all is that candidates can literally quit at anytime they want after week 3. Yet people try to pull shit to get kicked out. Even some idiots actually escape.

Guy in another company during my 10 weeks tried to escape. He tried to drive off base in his personal car he had brought. Ended up getting stopped at the gate. I hear they made his out processing extra long.

I did the 10 weeks. Some people swear by the 6 weeks. My personal opinion was after 6 weeks. 4 more weeks is easy as you're in a routine. Why come back a year later for another 6 weeks of stupid.

>Get in shape now, don’t waste any time.
Number one reason people are dropped. Number two being injury. Number three being ass clowns.

>schools
we try to send the squared away guys to stuff, a fair bit go to ranger, air assault, pathfinder, and rslc; non-11 series will hardly get a slot for anything like that unless they're a special case, i.e. supply goes to sling load stuff sometimes. no more airborne or anything related since they shuttered those units. we have to do a lot of drug deals with other units to get school seats though, like if a joe wants to go to sniper, the state might not pay for it if the guy isn't in a sniper section slot (about 20 in the whole state) so we have to move people around on the books sometimes. really it all comes down to money, the training schedule, and if we like the guy.
>organization
it's about the same if you compared one battalion to another, we share the same mtoe across all light infantry units. mountain isn't really a thing anymore, I think there is only like 2 actual battalions actively designated for that mission, one runs the school up in Vermont, 10th Mountain only kept the name. the other specialized ones are just as rare comparatively, there's one airborne batt left in the guard, and they fall under the 173rd, there's no official air assault units outside of the 101st.

the brigade system fucked this up, but it's easier to look at that level than a single battalion. so there's infantry, stryker (mech), and armored brigades w/ 4500~ people each. the bulk of each is made up of infantry with either 3-4 light or mech battalions, or in the case of armored 3 combined arms battlions that are 50/50 tanks/mech plus 2 tank batts, plus 1 more mech batt because fuck you. each brigade has a cav squadron, arty, engineers, and support battalions as well. so the 'light' infantry brigades are the most plentiful and are standard across the board, the only special ones are airborne and air assault, which there is only 5 or so each of those.

My goodness. 4500 bodies is massive. A MAGTF is probably less than half that.

This is actually a great opportunity to verify something. My whole Marine Corps career I was told that Ranger school is the equivalent of our basic infantry training course. I've heard that it's more of a leadership thing as opposed to a technical skills gig.
"Rangers lead the way, Hooah?" Was also a popular saying among my unit.

>My whole Marine Corps career I was told that Ranger school is the equivalent of our basic infantry training course
I hate this meme so much

Attached: 1458882258314.png (649x649, 296K)

it's far from a basic school, and is more of a gut-check. it's really geared for team/squad leaders and platoon leaders. you're expected to arrive in shape with the requisite knowledge to begin patrolling, so you need to know land nav and individual level stuff like movement, weapons, comms, and whatever level-10 shit as well as how orders work. they only really teach you the technical aspects of things like some mountaineering, boat stuff, and shit you don't touch in OSUT or IBOLC. they don't even teach you anything about leadership, you just kind of have to figure out how to put together your patrols.

Lol, so you've heard this too? I was in recruit training when I first heard it.
So you're saying that it's analagous to our Advanced Infantry Course (squad leader school)?

Do you need a college degree to go to OCS? Can you be an enlisted like an e5 before trying?

>Rangers cope

Attached: meme cat sniper.jpg (750x710, 64K)

close but not quite, I'm assuming you need that school to fill a squad leader billet. so like how you have the plain corporal's and sergeant's course, we have nco schools like that, but for us at E-5 to E-6 and up they combine the mos training with nco professional development, i.e. Infantry Advanced Leader Course for squad leaders, then the Maneuver Senior Leader Course for platoon daddies. ranger school is usually a follow-on school after ALC, or the Infantry Basic Officer Leader Course, and a ranger tab is only really required at the 75th. it's closer to BRC for you guys, but with way more of an emphasis on traditional small-unit tactics and less swimming and technical skills, and a lot more suck thrown in, like less sleep and food. it really is a unique school, more guys from other branches and foreign services try to go to ranger than the other way around for their equivalent.

You need a bachelors degree to commission. Priors are an interesting bunch at OCS.

They seem to fall into thee categories.

1. Guys who "Enlisted" and went to basic did AIT but were still in college and got deferments till they complete OCS. These were the biggest bunch of cunts in the entire company. They acted like they were fleet and were boot as fuck. The SI's hated these lot and did everything to make their lives miserable.

2. Jaded Priors; these guys either were prior got out and were trying to get back into the service. Or they were in MOS's where there was no way to advance their career or be lifer's unless they commissioned. These guys I found were a mixed bag but often just shitbirds.

3. NCO Priors; they were normally the most mentoring best guys in the unit. I think in the end almost every billet always went to them as the SI's could trust them to not be retarded frat boys. They did a good job of policing the unit and I rarely saw them get smoked. The SI's lean on them to show candidates how to be good Marine leaders.

#3 kek ive never seen senior officers and sncos cluster fuck more when a bored col made it a personal misson to make sure every squad was like the billets in the book they were picking out guys getting out in months to leadership billers by the so the col could see the rosters and be satisfied than all pretense dropped when we actually had a work up.

Thanks for the laugh
AIC isn't a pre-req to fill a squad leader billet. There's plenty of E-3 SLs in line companies that haven't been to a school outside of basic. It's something that SLs or prospective SLs get sent to when we get the slots for it.
We keep our professional development and mos training separated. ISULC / Sergeants Course, etc.
>It's closer to BRC, but with a lot more suck thrown in
doubt.jpg lol
What's the attrition rate for Ranger school anyhow? Seems like an interesting course. Too bad that we don't spend more money on sending grunts to schools. The powers that be would rather spend $100 million on an extra plane.

The modern day Marine Corps sucks indeed.

Attached: vatomarine.jpg (1080x1080, 88K)

>You need a bachelors degree to commission
I could've sworn there was an obscure program that allowed guys with prior experience to get a write off.

>he was considered the sell out by the movie.

Kek uncle tomas is worse than a prison con and a druggie crippled beaner artist.

grad rates have been under 50% since 2008, under 35% since 2016. BRC has hovered around 50% since 2016, with it's highest attrition at 54% in 2014. Marines get like 20 slots a year, Air Force gets about 6.

Since they've instituted the primer course as a pre-req prior to BRC, the graduation rates have gone way up. The bulk of attritions occur in the primer now.
I found an article from 2015 that said before the primer came about, graduation rates for BRC were from 20-65%. After the primer was implemented, grad rates jumped to around 80% (2015).

>being this delusional
Take your pills grunty