NVG and IR laser questions

I'm researching different options for an NVG and IR pointer setup and have a couple of questions.
1. I heard that some civilian variants (namely PINNACLE) of the PVS-14 make a tinnitus-sounding whine when you have them on.
Do they make civilian PVS-14s that don't make noises?

2. What's the best IR laser, illuminator, and white light setup? Should I just get a cheap DBAL with just a pointer and get a Surefire IR/White light? Is the MAWL-C worth it?

Attached: NVGs and Ospreys.jpg (1088x726, 92K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5Ysj0wyTtsc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

All civilian IR lasers are the same

I know that the lasers are the same power, but the IR illuminators on different civilian devices vary. The illuminator is one of the MAWL's claims to fame.

Not quite bud

They literally are smooth brain. They all are 850nm and are classed as 1 for a reason.

If you had to pick one (disregard price) pic related

Attached: dbalA4vsWilcoxRaptar.png (802x318, 184K)

There's more to a laser pointer than wavelength and power. You realize these are still collimated by optics, right?

Stop trying to hijack my thread, you faggot. Your last one got taken down because you're a lazy dunce.

legitimate question: why would any civilian buy one of these

In case my people need me.

To hunt at night, especially hogs.

youtube.com/watch?v=5Ysj0wyTtsc

>1. I heard that some civilian variants (namely PINNACLE) of the PVS-14 make a tinnitus-sounding whine when you have them on.
Do they make civilian PVS-14s that don't make noises?

They all make a dull, very low frequency hum or whine that you can only hear in basically near dead silence, it's not loud whatsoever, it's faint even when you put it to your ears

>What's the best IR laser, illuminator, and white light setup? Should I just get a cheap DBAL with just a pointer and get a Surefire IR/White light? Is the MAWL-C worth it?

Honestly illuminators are over-rated, you are better off with something like a cheaper & smaller CQBL, and just having an IR filter capable weapon light.
A red laser is more valuable than a illuminator on a PEQ/DBAL/etc.

Picture this:
Rifle with CQBL, and white light with flip IR filter
>White light and vis red laser for MOUT/CQB room clearing
>IR laser for aiming, IR filter on light for target identification and navigation

>noises
I've never heard any noise emanate from a PVS-14s in the military, but I'm browsing online and I see people on ARFCOM talking about this (as they describe it) loud ring coming from their civilian PVS-14s.

I just want the same ones that I had in the military. I know that they work fine and don't make noise like these people are talking about.

>illuminators are over-rated
I've always thought the same thing. I never really used the IR illum in the military. Partly because it wasn't very good and partly because I never had a real need.
It seems like a dedicated IR pointer in addition to a light is the way to go.

Are DBALs / Steiner good to go? I've been looking at reviews on their website and I've seen folks complaining about defective / non-durable units.

>I've never heard any noise emanate from a PVS-14s in the military
I have:
>Dead silent night, away from wildlife
>be on watch
It's like a very faint whirr/hum.

I don't remember if I heard PVS-7's do the same, I imagine they have the advantage of board and tube placement, and distance from ocular to tube, and probably a thicker body.

Some of the later PVS-14's with tubes like the Pinnacle/OMNI are apparently louder, but that should not be too much of an issue, you'll only notice it in near dead silence.

If ANYTHING it might actually be the PCB/Board being shipped with these units, I wonder if buying one from wolverine tactical and swapping it would achieve.

>Are DBALs / Steiner good to go
They mostly should be, I've only heard a few complaints, but again I don't see the utility much over something like a CQBL and a IR filtered white light, or a PEQ.

I feel partly obligated to remind you that you aren't limited to class one IR aiming lasers necessarily, there are several Russian/Belarussian units you can import if you feel like rolling the dice

Interesting. I've spent plenty of time on post looking through NODs but never heard a thing.

What NODs are you running? So I should probably just stick with the L3s?

I've heard about the russian stuff but it's too sketchy for me. I'd rather have a laser that I know will probably work and is backed by a warranty.

you're probably deaf

I do have tinnitus / hearing damage, but that didn't happen until later. Peeps on ARFCOM as sperging about load noises. If I buy an L3 PVS-14 and I hear anything it's getting sent back.

Attached: 1557092341065s.jpg (125x123, 2K)

the power supply on every nod ive used has made noise

dont bother with low power ir shit, find a full power peq 15

For the PVS-14's I had in the military - it's very, very faint and the low frequency nature of the sound (hum/whirring) assures that a certain percentage of the population won't be able to hear it naturally without sound/hearing amplification.
Like I had said, you'll pretty much only hear it in dead silence, if you are capable of hearing low frequency sound.

I think the issue is for some of the Civilian PVS-14's is the PCB/board used and the fact that some of the tubes may have passed corporate standards but not the highest standard for priority military use.

Similar in concept to silicon boards/circuits for computing - GPU's/CPU's/Motherboards - the highest quality goes towards the more expensive/mission critical/faster unit/application, the baseline goes to the midrange, and the lower baseline goes to the economy options.

My personal PVS-14 (which I assembled myself and uses an older tube, with wolverine tactical parts and PCB/batt pack) is so faint that I can't hear it in near dead silence without sound amplification

If you have hearing damage you won't probably be able to hear low frequency sound, so you are good senpai.

This is essentially the case, it's the PSU - ie the PCB board - the silicon board/power supply unit that is getting power from the batteries and converting it for the Image Intensification tube.

I would wager most of the PCB's on civilian units are lower spec silicon than what is getting shipped for military applications.

Imagine the PCB/PSU is a GPU, and the military has priority access to the best silicon available.
Example for you Jow Forumstards: The military is gaming on 1080ti's standard and the civilian market can only get 980's standard.

>dont bother with low power ir shit, find a full power peq 15

Honestly it doesn't justify the price trying to find a full power PEQ 15 off of, say ebay
1: You are paying more for a full power C3 IR PEQ15
2: C1 is plenty viable for IR aiming, and anything you may need for target marking can be achieved with the C3 vis laser that is slaved to most C1 units - including the C1 PEQ15 and DBAL.
3: C3 PEQ-2's are going to be cheaper
4: Russian C3 units are going to be cheaper

>assembled myself
Is there a kit? Where did you get the parts?

Google Wolverine Tactical.
They now make full PVS-14 kits sans tubes

supreme larp
actual answer