Is this a good tank design?

Is this a good tank design?

Attached: H2A_Render_M808BScorpion.jpg (1920x960, 475K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Atwater_(curator)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yeah.

Attached: M512.png (250x470, 27K)

>20 foot tall
>shot traps at the turret ring
>2x as mechanically complex
You have to be 18 to post here.

Well, for the purposes of looking cool for a sci-fi setting, I'd go with yes. In practical terms though, no.
>four separate treads
Have fun replacing those when some covvie shoots them out or fuses them together with some plasma energy bullshit.
>stupidly tall turret
I hope you like getting shot at, because you're a stupid tall target.
>dumbass little cage thing for a cockpit
Because why bother putting the crew behind armor, right?

Quad tracks are stupid. That aside, single man air-mobile MBTs with the turret slaved to the drivers head like an apache cannon is a great concept. Never really understood what the point of the later unprotected machine gun turret was, theres probably some lore justification.

>Is this a good tank design?
you could wreck that shit with a 60 years old ATGM.

Attached: 1551844864606.webm (1280x720, 2.79M)

No.

The Swedes built a tank like that, and decided it fucking sucked and discarded the design.

Attached: UDES-XX20.jpg (886x607, 92K)

No, but it looks fucking rad

>I hope you like getting shot at, because you're a stupid tall target.
Why does this matter? The turret isn't manned, so the added height just allows you to defilade from a safer hull position.

iirc armor was borderline worthless for the UNSC troops because the plasma weapons obliterated it rather quickly. This is why the warthog had no crew cover because mobility was better than getting roasted inside a tin can.

In my head canon, UNSC designs are the way they are for the sake of modularity, mass-saving, and extreme deployability. The UNSC controlled anywhere from dozens to hundreds of worlds and needed a sizable Colonial Military Authority to control all of them even before the Human-Covenant War. All this equipment needed to be shipped through space, and loaded from manufacturing plants on different plants. This meant the heavier the vehicle the costlier to get into space.

It makes a shit ton more sense to produce a ton of basic, torn down designs like Warthogs that have no doors and no weapons, then deploying them in the field on their intended planets and modifying them for the environment they find themselves in, while also shipping units like MEUs or Regular Army units with basic, jack of all trades loadouts for vehicles. That is why the basic chaingun and gauss gun Warthogs exist. Why ship doors if they aren't needed, but hey you have A gun if you need it.

The Scorption exists because even though "superior" designs exist it is modular, very maneuverable, can go basically on any terrain,, and requiring only one crew, means it limits casualties.

The one-man crew actually makes a lot of sense from a space standpoint too.
Life support takes up a massive amount of space and weight on any spaceship, so the less of it you need for an armored division, the better.

I think the cockpit thing was only in halo 1 because they didn't have vehicle health and had to have you shoot the guy out of the thing.

its only slightly lighter than an abrams though.

Your mom is only slightly lighter than the Abrams though

The scorpion from Halo CE was my favorite iteration. The sharp angles, and minimalist design gave it a futuristic tank look. Scorpions from the newer Halo games added too much clutter.

Attached: Tank2.jpg (800x600, 115K)

It's a retarded design but still some of these arguments are bad.
>shot traps still exist
>four separate treads
>Have fun replacing those when some covvie shoots them out or fuses them together with some plasma energy bullshit.
It would be easier than replacing a full track and work better with only 3 than a normal tank does with 1.
Articulation did make it ultra mobile though, but there was problems because they had to split the whole chassis, rather than articulate just the tread pods.

>UNSC designs are the way they are for the sake of modularity, mass-saving, and extreme deployability.

IIRC thats the canon reason to why UNSC vehicle designs are the way they are. UNSC doctrine revolves around Air Assault. ODST act as shock troopers and rapid deployment of troops and armor follow via Pelicans

Attached: halo2wall1-1600x1200.jpg (1600x1200, 969K)

Surely you recognize that as graphical fidelity increased they needed to add more details, right? I mean you can't just take that model and upscale it and expect it to still look good, they HAD to add detail to it

What hes saying is there is a difference between added fidelity and added greebles.

I wonder who taught them how to use TOWs...

OK but imagine a 4k image of the H:CE Scorpion Tank, it would look retarded

Talk to a tanker. Perfect defilade is rarely available. The lower a tanks initial signature, the harder it's going to be to hit.

No. A one man crew is a terrible idea, the four articulated outriggers with their own tracks and suspension systems would be a nightmare to maintain, and it has a massive profile for no real reason.

Attached: 1555356173821.png (1200x798, 1.83M)

Looks okay to me.

Attached: Scorpion2011.png (700x409, 263K)

If you lose one tread, the two on the other side will overpower the damaged side and you'll go in circles, unless you cut power to the diagonally opposite tread from the one that was damaged.

>2 pairs of final drives and differentials on top of doubling all the track components
>a single engine propelling 2 sets of tracks, with double the propeller shafts needed
Its certainly not very maintenance friendly with everything being twice

Against modern threats? No.
In its setting? Its good enough.

Okay, so? Nobody is arguing in favor of that. You can increase the graphical detail without adding excessive shit. There are real tanks with the same aesthetic as the Halo CE tank, that aren't covered in rows of bolts and ribs and vents just for the sake of visual noise.

Attached: a1wy8kluv7mv4dnm5xfr.jpg (800x450, 46K)

>TOW
That is clearly a Kornet.

Attached: 1556665467180.jpg (1080x951, 48K)

>90mm
what....how in the fuck? The cases for those rounds must be so fucking large. That's the only way I can think of the reason why it's so effective.

Attached: 1554999107280.jpg (844x623, 37K)

I wonder when he died? (surely he is dead)

tbf it’s a much larger vehicle, so it’s pretty light for its size.

Attached: AF7320A7-5814-42CF-881C-A148A6BA552A.jpg (784x345, 37K)

Tanks are obsolete, change my mind.

Drives car into you.

In a space war, they would be 99% useless.

>ceramic and titanium as armor
Lel kek wew

Arent Abrams tanks like 105mm or some shit?

How small do you think tank rounds are?

120mm now.

Abrams would smoke a Scorpion

I mean TOW in a generic sense... ATGM.

90mm guns have historically struggled to penetrate T55s, which is legacy WW2 armor. Thats why he said the cases must be large, since if the case size is comparable to the real world equivalent, it wouldn't scratch anything in the covenant arsenal.

>armor designed to withstand high temperatures
>covenant only had plasma and other energy-based weapons

Sure it's absolutely garbage against kinetic penetrators, good thing it never has to deal with it.

Which is worse than a damaged track on a 2 track design how exactly?
Also or you could just raise the damaged track pod and go slower with both pods on the undamaged side, rather than dragging 2 pods for no reason.

Space war entails fighting on planets.

>suspension of disbelief
Fucking space magic.

Attached: M512_expended_shell-_Scorpion.jpg (1536x1152, 176K)

That a not a tow and it's an iraqi Abrams. That is how they were designed to cook off so they save the crew

ok so how is 100% increase in cost and complexity justified if it ends up the same as a two tread design?

Only pretend space war where the invading space aliens are trying to recover ancient relics, instead of just using kinetic strikes from orbit, which is probably how it would play out, not that we're ever getting off this rock.

ETC probably.

The entire UNSC Army is 99% useless.
Which is why they only get the scraps left over from what the Navy uses.

What is the name of this beautiful machine?

Read It's difficult to tell whether or not flames are coming from the cabin as well. I heard that Iraqi Abrams are trash, so I wouldn't be surprised if that killed the crew.

Fucking space magic propellants. That and sub munitions.

There's still an incentive to control planets. They serve as interstellar FOBs. The invention of airplanes didn't make ground combats obsolete. Same thing as orbital strikes / spacecraft.

Look at the cook off tests they are designed like that that's why you see such a large external cook off compared to the way a T-72 cooks off. Yes Iraqi Abrams are shitty but the general chassis design wont change.

What are the differences in cook-off? It just looks like the t-72 expels a bunch of gas before ignition.

The M1A1M is a perfectly fine tank. They only major change is the replacement of the DU in the frontal armor with tungsten which is more of a political difference then practical. The crew is fine as long as they closed the doors separating the crew compartment from the ammunition stowage.

That said the tank was fucked for a long time. Iraqi Abrams were sold with a service agreement so it is America that repairs them, not Iraq itself. This worked until the US withdrew its support after some Iranian backed militia got an Abrams resulting in ~50% of the Abrams fleet being non-operational awaiting repair. They are back now but much of Mosul was fought without the US repairing Iraqi tanks.

After that the Iraqis bought T-90.

Dude's a literal phase one boomer, and he's still kickin'. Actually has some chops academically.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Atwater_(curator)

Abrams blow out the bustle rack externally instead of blowing into the crew cabin. Basically designed to give the crew time to bail out instead of cooking them instantly.

That's the export version of the Abram, no depleted uranium armor.

>ok so how is 100% increase in cost and complexity
Who says its 100% more expensive. Maybe fabrication is dirt cheap in the future and resources are the primary cost. Maybe its so reliable that the doubling the maintenance hours on the drive train is irrelevant. Maybe its the future equivalent of a diesel-electric and a traditionally laid out tank would use essentially the same number of components anyway, so why not split it?
You can't ignore external factors but we also don't know what they are. As soldier in the past would, and did, look at brass cased ammunition and say "how will they get new cases in the field, with paper cartridges I can make my own so they're clearly a better idea" but we now have the logistics and manufacturing on scale completely alien to him.
>if it ends up the same as a two tread design?
It doesn't. It ends up better

Now stop making me defend this shitbox by making bad arguments against it. It is way too high, way too underprotected - you can literally shoot them people out of them with infantry weapons and an augmented human can rip into the armor enough to kill the occupants with his hands. That is unacceptable future or not.

>way too underprotected
Against kinetic penetrators yes, except the covenant used none of that shit.

ok you can make up whatever silly story you need, but please explain the advantage of the four tread pod configuration.

Also, going from two treads to 4 is an increase of 100%.

The armor on all UNSC vehicles is thin as fuck irrc because covvie plasma burns through anything that could reasonably be on a vehicle anyway so everything is optimized for speed and manuverability, with scorpions specifically meant to always be fighting in some kind of hull down position.

You can shoot out the drivers with covenant small arms as well.
>Also, going from two treads to 4 is an increase of 100%.
But isn't necessarily a 100% increase in cost or maintenance which is what you actually said.
>the advantage of the four tread pod configuration.
Going slower with 3 tracks is better than not going at all with 1 track.
Articulation = maneuverability in difficult terrain See UDES and Bandvagn
Easier to change tracks with less manpower - smaller tracks and you can use the articulation and still mobile tank to make it easier (crew of 1-2 is still too small though). Or you could potentially just replace the entire pod.

The guy's a total salt dog.

Not if you don't use the shitty cage cabin and use an actual block of armor instead.

Attached: H2A_M808BScorpion.png (1280x960, 1.19M)

Halo Lore doesn't make much sense.

Why the UNSC were fighting terrorism before the war?
Why after 30 years the weapons didn't change to a more anti-alien design?
Why the Covenant dont use modern tactics? (Banshee and Wraith behave like WW2 warmachines)
Why spaceships can fly in atmosphere but you don't see hovercraft anywhere?

>Why the UNSC were fighting terrorism before the war?
Separatists who didn't want to live under the dominant government. Remember, humans are still busy settling down in bumfuck nowhere.
>Why after 30 years the weapons didn't change to a more anti-alien design?
Covenant are still squishy meatbags, bullets work just fine.
>Why the Covenant dont use modern tactics? (Banshee and Wraith behave like WW2 warmachines)
Lore says they derived their tactics from the Forerunner writings, and that it's heresy to even think of innovation. If you're born indoctrinated to believe there's nothing more to be developed, of course your tactics will stagnate.
>Why spaceships can fly in atmosphere but you don't see hovercraft anywhere?
Pic related, close enough.

Attached: HaloReach_-_Falcon.png (1600x1000, 679K)

Knowledge received

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 25K)

>I wonder who taught them how to use TOWs...
Kornet, nigger.
>That's the export version of the Abram, no depleted uranium armor.
Doesn't matter, nigger. No DU at the back of the M1.

you retard...

You obviously don't know shit about M1.... you low IQ shit for brains.

Probably the Syrian Army during their pre-war conscription.

what's a filename?

Been there tried that.

Attached: object 490b belka.jpg (1000x524, 290K)

>Muh monki model
Laughable.

>4 separate tracks on 4 moving chassis making the tank more complex to repare and vulnerable t failure than it needs to be
>Underside of turret not even armored, wreck vehicle with a handgrenade
>Even if armored, the turrent would trap the shot and be out
>90mm autoloader and claims to be anti vehicle
>Tall as fuck
>Weighs as much as a fully armored M1 Abrams
>What's that shit on the barrel
>Why is the breach sticking out and why are lights on it
>Why are the sensors, which are the only way for the operator to see what's going on, above and below the barrel and glowing green?
>Are those windows?

To be fair, I don't know if this thing is optimized to fight the ayys.
Also I don't know how the ammo works could be some space age propellant so a 90mm piece tungsten might do the trick.

And why the fuck couldn't the UNSC have better propellants and projectiles? It IS the friggin future

>>what is material science

Attached: 1555640390196.jpg (1600x1200, 172K)

they shot it in the ass where the giant unarmored turbine is, any abrams is dead if its hit there lol.

jackasses are just using it wrong.

>90mm guns have historically struggled to penetrate T55s, which is legacy WW2 armor
you think the 120mm gun if the abrams is comparable in any way to a WW2 12.8cm gun?

they have nearly double the penetration today out of the same 120-130mm range

90mm APBC round is literally WWII round tho

Nu Jow Forums shits all over this guy but "gun jesus" is infallible. I hate nu k so fucking much. Been here since 07' still feel like a newfag.

Attached: image.jpg (700x700, 154K)

That's not how it's designed. I'm fairly certain I recall reading that the Scorpion had redundancies so that if one track was damaged, the opposite two would lower output so as not to overpower the odd third track. It was supposed to be able to limp home on two tracks. That actually gives it better survivability than dual track tanks (in theory). The independent suspension systems are dumb, though.

Also, I recall the Scorpion was designed as a MBT/Artillery unit, not just a piece of combat armor. The idea was that it would be shelling separatist emplacements, not making pushes on battle lines. This puts it as a logical step up from current MBT doctrine - staying well outside of counterattack range in order to obliterate anti-armor before rolling in alongside ground forces.

In the setting, the Scorpion is a minimalist design meant to fulfill two roles in a guerrilla conflict. By modern standards, it isn't a great design, but when fighting soft targets from long ranges and supporting ground forces (which include supersoldiers that charge into battle in exosuits capable of taking just as much damage as your goddamn tank), it isn't bad. In setting, it's not a bad design. Why it wasn't altered or replaced during the Covenant War is a better question.

Probably not but it seemed to work fine in-universe and that's what matters most.

Personally I was never really fond of the Scorpion's design. I did like how it was thickened up in Halo 5, to say anything positive about the game.

Forgot pic.

Attached: H5G-M820model.jpg (1920x1080, 191K)

So when will Jow Forums realize that the ODST is the best branch and that the Spartans can't compete.

Attached: Odst defeating Spartans.jpg (1680x1050, 191K)

This has already been said about that artwork in another thread, but, that officer is going to eat real shit for killing a spartan.

Each spartan is said to be as useful as an entire battalion, and their suits cost about the same as a smaller warship

>brainlet says we'll never into space despite complete ignorance of anything and everything related to into space
Endless reruns

Attached: 1460955652698.png (419x249, 6K)

>unarmoured anything on a tank
>let alone a critical component
Which asshole let that get past the drawing board

Only one quad-track tank that doesn't suck and it isn't the scorpion

Attached: x66mammoth.jpg (1280x720, 391K)

>bullets work just fine
Anyone who reads into Halo lore for majors than 2 minuets will tell you that bullets and most UNSC weaponry were not effective at anything above grunts, jackals, and light vehicles. When a single solider can take a whole squad of troopers shooting their 7.62 rifles at them and be fine, then bullets aren’t effective.

Why don't tanks have two guns with auto loaders alternating fire like the M850 Grizzly tanks in Halo? I used these to BTFO enemy infantry and vehicles to clear a path to objectives all the time. Why wouldn't they work in real life?

Attached: vincent-chai-concept-unit-grizzly.jpg (1920x1224, 312K)

The concept has been trialed IRL by West Germany and the United States, and was found to have no practical benefit for the increased bulk and volume.

And anyone who reads Halo lore for five minutes would tell you that the upper class tier enemies (Elites, Hunters, Brutes) didn’t appear on the battlefield for a long time.
The war started in 2525. Hunters weren’t seen (or at least if they were seen, the people who saw them didn’t live to report it) until 2552. Elites and Brutes were similar. So for thirty years, the only enemies the UNSC fought on the ground were Grunts, Jackals and maybe Drones. All of which could easily be killed by bullets.

Well, I should say that Brutes were seen on Harvest, if you consider Contact Harvest canon. But apparently, that information wasn’t passed along by anyone, because Cortana remarks that they’ve never heard of Brutes before Uneven Elephant. And her information kleptomaniac tendencies aside, if anyone was going to have information on the various Covvie species, it would be the Spartans

run out of ammo 2x as fast

>that officer is going to eat real shit for killing a spartan.

That hole is clearly from a charged plasma shot, that magnum isn't capable of punching a hole through Mjolnir. And if that SII wanted, he would have already tossed those ODST's aside like dolls to get at the officer.