/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

/meg/ OPs are retards edition
Old: >>LOYING ABOUT MEDICAL HISTORY = GOOD
>>LOYING ABOUT CRIMINAL HISTORY = THEY KNOW

>Do your own research to start, then come here for clarification.
>No vague questions, like "What job is best?"

pastebin.com/0K6MFcUZ (embed)
Guides to prepare for high-speed shit. (SEAL, Ranger etc.)

Resources:
Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

warriorcorpsman.com/
For Navy Corpsman info.

leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff.

uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

airwarriors.com/community/
>Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/prerequ/woft.shtml
US Army High school to Flight school

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
>pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga (embed)

>Should I go Navy Enlisted Nuke?
Maybe.
i.imgur.com/FZ0Q9q4.png (embed)
tl;dr: Long hard school, long work hours, with good job prospects. It's definitely not for everyone or even most people in general.

CG info
>gocoastguard.com/family-and-friends/the-helmsman/required-knowledge

ASVAB for Dummys
mega.nz/#!XuhSWQgb!ycwEyBz1J-DZx_GOsAxmSQCduAImNuzTRswqfRb-x-w

READ THIS BEFORE ASKING CLEARANCE QUESTIONS
opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF86.pdf

Attached: UsNavy.jpg (480x720, 57K)

I hope Tyrone knocks up my wife when I'm gone.

I am considering enlisting after finding out the hard way I hate college, or at least what I chose to study (left after 2.5 yrs with an associates) and don't want to just go and work somewhere. If i do join I don't want to join and just be a dumb fucking boot somewhere or chained to a desk. I've been lured the by the action guy mystique and the pipelines that make living that life accessible. I'm thinking going option 40 from the start or at least getting airborne in a contract and then trying out for ranger regiment later. Is this stupid or misguided in any way? I've never been a great athlete and in my year at a military HS i got decent at PT but nowhere near stud levels, trying to really get in shape for the first time in my life now. Afraid that will be my biggest obstacle, can i realistically overcome that or if it didn't come naturally am i likely to not be action guy material? Do people like Jason Everman making it to SF mean that anyone can make it with enough hard work?

how to get E-5 quick in national guard?

whats schools can i ask for outside of an 11X.

Well if you're a college grad you can enlist as an E-4
>schools
>11x
That's an MOS user. Do you want access to schools or MOSs?

what if I'm in and complete a bachelor's? do i get a rank up?

i personally like 12 series but don't want to reclass. i can't ask to go to a trade school?

>but don't want to reclass
I'm confused are you in the military already?

nah

I want to go Army but I'm not exactly sure what job I want yet. How's 74D?

get in shape if you dont wnat to waste your option 40, if you want to actually see combat that is your quickest route

74 is a very large underbust size.

I'm scheduled to ship for Air Force basic training in June but I just strained (no tear though) a tendon in my shoulder. It's pretty painful but far from debilitating so I don't plan on changing my ship date. Should I tell my recruiter?

>Look up Jason Everman
>tfw you'll never operate alongside Nirvana's former guitarist
That was an interesting read

if you like doing nothing all day then thats a good job for you, you wont do that your job, even if you get into a chem unit. you will likely be tasked out to a regular unit to be the only chem guy there. you may issue and inventory gas masks now and then or decontaminate people or vehicles. you will get little to no job satisfaction given you dont do your job. you will likely be tasked out to be working with supply and or logistics of whatever bum fuck unit you get sent to, you mine as well be enlisting with an open contract. theres a chance you may get sent to a good unit and theres a chance you will get sent to a shit unit and want to end it all. theres a reason its undermanned. because its a fucking useless job.

Starting strength
Couch25k
Yoga
Stretch psoas
Hang on a pull up bar until you have the grip and arm strength to pull yourself up
Join local search and rescue to learn day and night landnav
Read once an eagle

74d is the slowest promoting and most miserable job. Do not go into this job. You uave no idea how your body will react to getting gassed, and thats the majority of your job.

Its a long shot, but would anyone here have any experience with the Philippine military?

Attached: 20190411_2359440101.jpg (793x1024, 154K)

What’s 0231 in the Marines like? If I like giving presentations, will it be interesting enough? How does it compare to intel positions in the Army and AF?

How hard is it to get accepted into the marines OCS? I’m going to major in chem at university but I don’t want to do rotc because I already have a full ride to the school. I’d like to try to fly but I don’t care what I do as long it’s combat.

Attached: 327236A8-9371-49D3-B520-F5B2A1B429E0.jpg (500x667, 47K)

what are some other combat arms officer positions, aside from infantry, that could make me eligible for SOF?
Would being a armor officer 19A be any different then an infantry officer?

would it be possible to enlist as an e4 and then go to OCS later if Im eligible with a college degree? If not, whats the usual amount of time it takes to go from an E4 to E5/E6/E7 ect.

how unlikely is it for an Army officer to change their assigned MOS? what about an enlisted?

Attached: 1479167981590.jpg (580x786, 49K)

do officers in either the marines or army see any action at all? Or is it literally just riding a desk and making power points?

I think enlisting would be a bad idea, but it sounds like enlisted get to do all the fun shit

Attached: black cops.jpg (300x300, 31K)

Sometimes as a LT, depending on where/what you do, rarely as a company CO, and never after that unless you’re a hardo bn cdr (protip: everybody will resent you for coming on patrol and the company co will assign a lt to watch you - ask me how I know), sf, or are in a very bad spot (like getting shot down/blown up)

JO's during wartime maybe, but the Army/Marines spent good money educating you so why the fuck would they risk losing that investment when they can hand a rifle to a retarded 18 year old and send him in your place?

When you say "fun shit" you mean killing people, right? There aren't any major operations, no battles, and the only non-SF dudes getting any kills are pilots and artillery. If you want to join up and try to re-enact whatever your favorite shooter video game is, then you're no different than all of the other dumb kids that are mopping floors and mowing the lawns on base.

What branch deploys the least/for the least amount of time?

8 years is a long time to be away from your children and wife and I want to miss as few birthdays and anniversaries as possible. I've wanted to serve my whole life but my family is my number one priority obviously.

>inb4 coasties

>family first
>wanna serve
Statistically speaking, you're going to have a bad time. Should've joined up str8 outta high school.

How good are the job prospects for that degree field? I'm just curious. Whenever I talk to people majoring in Bio or Chem they seem to have no idea what they're going to do after school.

How does Navy IS compare to Air Force Operations Intelligence?
Is there the same amount of opportunities?
How hard is it to score an intelligence position in the Air Force?

Will my tomato allergy disqualify me from joining? I can't find any information online specific to my allergy.

Do national guard

You'll be rotting in hell OP for helping send all these young men into the military meat grinder. You're no better than recruiters who fool people into joining.
Anyway, rot in hell you piece of shit. This shit thread has no place on Jow Forums.

Agree, 74d is the useless facts person. Although engaging info on chemical warfare for a 15 min conversation and then you never talk to them again.

How do I toughen myself up for the military?
t. Spoiled suburbanite

Attached: gettyimages-76377852.jpg (1500x1000, 124K)

Focus on making your body stronger so you can handle the physical work. The weightlifting and running you'll be doing will help condition your mind as well. Its a win win

For security clearance purposes would the investigators use my past internet history against me? For instance if I'm flagged by the NSA. I've searched on google if I should lie on the sf86 multiple times over a span of several days about past drug use. I also admitted to smoking weed before in a previous thread. I was planning on lying about my use, however if they can use my past search results I would tell the truth. Or am I just being paranoid.

I mean more PT and training then desk work. But it sounds like nobody is doing that now anyway

What kind of bank or credit union should I use?
I enlisted yesterday and went too MEPs and I’m suppose to be getting a 6,000 dollar bonus in a couple weeks
What should I put my money into so I can make the most out of it?

whats the average career length for special forces or rangers? I dont want to go career military, but it seems like everyone in those units does 10+ years

Attached: 1551684514881.jpg (500x281, 14K)

I’m not an IS, but in Navy intel. Opportunities are great, right out of A school we had choices of orders all around the world, shore and sea duty. my class had orders to NSA Ft Meade and Buckley AFB doing UAV and SIGINT shit right off the bat after only being in the navy for ~6 months

No lol, going thru my clearance for a TS, all they asked me was stuff like intent of terrorism and if I’m a spy.

am I retarded for wanting an 11X contract over OCS?
even my recruiter is pushing me towards OCS, but idk if thats just to make himself look good. On a related note, how can you spot a shitty recruiter

Attached: 1459483205479.png (657x527, 171K)

10 years isn’t a career, it’s about average for any military job same for Special forces unless you get hurt or killed which is just higher in a combat position, people who stay in the military 20+ years are career military

will I make friends and get GF in the military?

Attached: 1488897160316.gif (245x184, 997K)

They didn't ask about drug use or your references about it either? I plan on lying about smoking weed then if true. This has been making me a bit nervous for the past week

how hard is the language training for SFAS? Im honestly more worried about that, then any physical training. I was absolute shit at learning a foreign language in school

Attached: 1509853948682.jpg (400x400, 17K)

Any reason at all why I should join the marines over the Army, aside from muh devil dog pristine? Even after hearing about how much they suck, Im still infatuated with the title and training of a muhreen over the army

Attached: marine DI.jpg (480x360, 19K)

what are some programs and sign on bonuses they dont tell you about at MEPs? particularly for a recent college grad thats trying to not be broken by his debt

Attached: rate the pain.jpg (199x250, 5K)

Everyone, to some extent, has to work at a desk. Even Special Forces have to do paperwork. There is no MOS or rate where you will be in the field 100%, 75%, or even 50% of the time.

What's your DLAB score?

SIG-INT Marine here, you're paranoid as fuck. You'll pass don't worry about it.

If I'm thinking about OCS which branches give the least amount of fucks for GPA? I heard Marines OCS is pretty forgiving about shitty GPAs as long as you have good PT. Meanwhile Army OCS doesn't even have a GPA requirement, but have heard mixed things from taking any LTs with a heartbeat to not wanting to talk to anyone under a 3.0 GPA.

I was going to do chem because I figured I could go medical or go to a plant with it (but really I’m hoping that the space program kicks back up again and I can be an astronaut)

They may ask your references about it, they ask them mainly about character and your loyalty to the US. They didn’t ask me anything about drug use.

Is it feasible to have a family one a single income in the military? I'm looking to change from the reserves to AD airforce.

Is your wife not going to work?

If not, why? Make her ass apply to be a contractor and work as a secretary or medical assistant at the base hospital, or work at the child and youth center, or work for aafes at the bx or commissary. While your kid is at the child care center, she can work part or full time. She qualifies for spouse preference so she can apply for most gov jobs as well.

Army, thats it. If they even consider you. I hear on the internet all the time that they dont care about gpa, but in real life ive seen about 7 people get turned down.

I recommend going reserve officer, and apply for a title 5 Government job doing your shit in uniform while getting paid more as a fed employee.

GI bill kicker or acasp. I didnt even know i had the kicker until i was getting an extra 1k on top of my BAH.

If your plan is combat job without any intention of going anything special operations wise, or going gunsmith, go usmc. Otherwise there is no real benefit.

Linguists have to score a 2, 2, 1+. 18x only need a 1,1, 0+ to pass. Also there is DLI east that has shorter and easier courses to just teach familiarity.

Only if you actively hang out with people. If you dont, youre gonna shut yourself out.

Navy federal as your primary bank. Usaa for insurance.

Do some kind of team or group activity, mud run, goruck, spartan race, basketball, etc. Learn to get along with a team and youll be fine.

You practically have to be an 11A or 19A in order to even apply to be an 18A.

Is this US only?

She wants to work. Its just i want to reclass and the tech schools i'm looking at are well over 100d long. So who the hell would hire her for the short of a period. She as district management experience so i'm sure she would pick up a decent gig once we PCS to a permanent station.

Like i said, she can work as a contractor on base. Just go on indeed and search for jobs by base.

Also, is your family going with you for your retraining? Like is it on your orders?

Pretty much. Youll get more non american mil advice by posting your own thread.

Cheers bud.

I havent gone through that process yet. Its a convoluted process for the airforce to switch reserve to active. But from what i've read on /reddit/ and on the balance is that if you're gone to training for 20 weeks or more. You are PCSing to the training location and your family can move too. I'm currently a 2A and i want to be in intelligence so bad.

you're getting a bonus just for going to MEPS? That isn't how it works, you get your enlistment bonus when you get to your first duty station.

I contacted my recruiter about my debt waiver but he hasn't responded in three days now. Did I just get dropped? This really sucks. I've been trying to get to MEPs for three months now with this fucker.

You're not getting shit until well after your first duty station. I didn't see a portion of my 15k bonus until 1 year after my enlistment date.

>three days
>panicking
He's just busy lmao

>trying to get in for 3 months
Let me guess air force?

Well, if you can take your family, then contracting is what i recommend, because you get hired instantly and you can quit whenever you want pretty much. Plus she can get a clearance out of it and get hired even easier in the future. Im over at langley afb, and my wife got a secret clearance just for working as a red cross volunteer at portsmouth naval hospital as a information desk person, then with her 6 months of work exp and a secret clearance got a contracting job at the ISR as a secretary, got a sci clearance, and now works as a unit deployment manager for a FW.

Fuck, thats dope as shit. I bet that combined with higher level management would look phenomenal on a resume.

Whats your AFSC btw?

1n3x7a

Cont

Forgot to say, if your wife is ever gonna apply for a gs job, DO NOT take anything under a GS7 if she has a degree and work exp. If she only has work exp and no degree, take nothing lower than a gs5. Reason being, once you take a GS4, you cant jump up to a 7 or 9, you have to go 5 then 7 then 9. My friend is a retired master and she took a 4, and now she can only apply for gs5 because her most recent work exp is that of a 4.

Whats enlisted intel like? I only have experience in enlisted maintenance and its kinda shitty. Even in the reserves.

Easy as shit. Its a desk job. Everything is pretty much on your computer or can be pulled from records. You know when youre looking for the best reviews on particular guns or parts? Very similar methods to finish tasks. If youve ever had to pour through tens of AFIs to figure out how to unfuck your EPR or write up an award, its exactly the same type of work. 80% of the time its just peer revieweing type work, proof reading and filling out paperwork.

Lifestyle wise, at an ISR wing down to squadron, its pretty much live your life as long as you show up to work. In my office if the work is slow i just let my supervisor know im going to do pt, then i walk out. Its very relaxed. Everywhere is pretty much the same. Only shitty place was DLI, but thats a tech school so its supposed to be shitty.

I thought about taking the DLAB to learn a language. But I'm also interested in doing geospatial or fusion analyst. Is the work interesting when you do take a look at what you were trained do? Would you say the field is undermanned?

Definitely not undermanned. If anything they keep trying to get guys to leave, especially 7 and 9 levels. We have waaaay to many junior enlisted who cant move up. My buddy just made tech after being a staff for almost 6 years. They keep trying to get us to move to reserves, our abw weekly letter always has advertisements saying like 30 spots for enlisted isr reserves. It wouldnt be too bad of a gig since we always have gs11 spots, but active duty is too easy.

Fuuuuck, is that intel in general? Or just your specific AFSC. I wouldn't mind doing one stint then going to reserves again and attempting to get a GS position somewhere.

All intel im afraid. You should definitely come in on the reserve side, or if you have a degree, come in palace chase for a gs position AND get assigned as an intel reserve officer. Coworker was a 11b NG, got in on palace acquire program, and his leadership took him on as an intel officer. Crazy career route.

What are the benefits of going in on the reserve side? Is there ample opportunity for orders?

Intel is one of the hardest career fields to get in on the civilian side. Also, many NG/Reserve title 5 gs jobs. What rank are you?

Also, obviously you should try to get in on the active side, but if not, and if you really wanna get in the intel field, go reserves or national guard. I need to add that your state needs to have a big isr presence to have the highest chance.

I'm an E-4 reservist, stationed in MA. All we have here is the 439th AW, 104th FW and Hanscom, which is home to the Air Force Life Cycle Management Center. So no ISR presence at all.

Maybe its all the non-fiction intel books I read in the past year getting to my head. I've had a fucking bloodlust to do it now.

Ever consider cross branching? If you go army it probably wont suck since you would come in as a careerist instead of initial entry. Plus you could pick some pretty cool intel jobs like 35N or 35L.

Howabout going afosi? They do some cool shit. They handle the counter intel side of things for us. Like that army user was saying about 35L. AFOSI is a mix of 35L and 31D which are the army detectives/special agents.

Yeah, air force. I really want to get this show on the road.

Navy has some rates that let you apply with sub-3.0, but I've had no luck on that end. Even though they say there's a shortage of pilots, I've been at it for 2 fucking years and kept getting rejected, so, like said, Army will fucking take anybody, good and bad. Problem is you will probably get a shitty job managing double digit IQ 18 year olds and, when you get out, you'll mostly have soft skills, so you have to network and harness some serious nepotism.

I already enlisted and swore in, I was told I’m suppose to get half of my bonus on my ship day
I heard Navy federal was great but I don’t know about USAA
Well thats good to know, I didn’t really care about it that much anyways I was just gonna put it in my bank but wanted to know when I would get it

anyone EOD in here? how hard is it on an intellectual level

iso 1 goodfellow trap gf

are they issuing OCPs at Lackland yet/when will they be

Attached: 1514891261586.png (741x568, 23K)

I really want to stay AF, my brother is in, my grandfather was AF and I fucking love it. Plus I would need to go and do boot again, and I really don't want to.

I would need to finish a degree to do OSI, which I have yet to do.

You're gonna have to go through a lot of recruiters to find one that needs to care

You dont need to do boot again unless youve been out for over 2 or 3 years.

signed for 25S today

Attached: 1520691545731.gif (800x371, 193K)

Dumbass. Why would you pick a shitty 25 series job?

i like satellites
plus I got an opt 40 so I can go hang out in regiment and set up their satcom shit and never do anything cool

Attached: 1555170249247.png (512x512, 300K)

>it’s fags like these that don’t even wanna be in regiment stealing all the option 40s
Fuck you seriously

just go Navy intel, way better than any other branch with so many more opportunities