What caliber will kill you on impact alone?

Considering you're wearing metal plates rated at lever 4, what round can kill you just on impact alone with no penetration?

Attached: 37125A11-59BF-4468-BF77-CC25BEF30206.jpg (500x500, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=-sPPtp-iKLc
youtube.com/watch?v=BqApQEC51bE
m.youtube.com/watch?v=8wrksy8NbtM
youtube.com/watch?v=Ji5VpHaNySw
youtube.com/watch?v=o5f1Fo4r4_I
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just rack your 12 gauge

.50 BMG. You can be killed just by standing close to it, so strong is the explosive force of the propellant burning. It can cause a hydrostatic shock that liquefies your internal organs, and that's even before the explosion starts tumbling and causing cavitation. I wouldn't fire it out of less than a twenty inch barrel though.

I don’t know man, I feel like a 105mm shell has a pretty damn good chance

Attached: 52F57A87-82E4-4280-8B93-FF058C2004A9.jpg (749x549, 66K)

20mm would probably smash the shit out of your ribcage and organs

Also is that fucking Franky Muniz in the picture?

Based

it was actually pretty fucking stupid

There's no body armor in existence that will stop 20mm though.

Yeah but were talking impact alone. Don't think you be clinically alive at the point of impact before penetration. Do 40mm grenades penetrate?

There's videos of riot police donking fools with a 40mm grenade. Admittedly it's probably underpowered and filled with teargas but it still dropped them like a sack of shit when it hit their head.

OP here, the reason why I'm asking is because people are saying 308 winchester to a plate will still kill you. How false is this?

Very much so. Assuming the plate can disperse the impact over a wide enough area, rifle bullets have too low of a mass to be lethal without penetration.

What about a 12 gauge slug to the chest? Would it have to match your heart rhythm like a baseball?

120mm APFSDS

Could happen if the bullet fragments and hits you in the neck, or if it ricochets and hits you in an artery somehow. Not likely but stranger things have happened.

How would level 4 fair against a .50 cal bullet fired from a black powder rifle with the maximum powder charge?

my dick

Attached: 1459909472276.jpg (657x528, 25K)

looks yummy

And a nice dick it is

>12g slug can kill with blunt force trauma
I was always told this in training.
with soft armor I could believe it but not with a trauma plate.

Good question, I've got a 30mm mig cannon barrel I've been meaning to build into a black powder cannon, would it penetrate the plate or simply liquify the contents?

I think it's just a bubba meme, like the concussion of a 50 killing you

mm Brah cos like there isnt 11mm

I know this is bait but you got a fucking stop this people actually believe this shit

Attached: 1535067224698.gif (319x249, 924K)

4 bore
Hypothetically saying if it doesn't rip through like a rock through wet paper

Attached: 1520611dcf77582692be077abe4cfa4a.jpg (2448x3264, 476K)

>CTRL-F
>No ''45. acp'' or ''10mm''
Absolute state of Jow Forums

Its fuddlore, dumbass, its the least based thing on this board.

Anything that spreads out a hit further than whatever on the gun itself contacts the shooter (assuming a non-mounted gun) will stop the shock of any hit from being lethal.
Thus, anything that can be shot by hand wouldn't be enough.

No, its barak o'bomba after he went to mikey Jackson's doctor.

Miserably. Watch the Iraqveteran8888 video of "anique rifles vs. armor"

Attached: illustration-petanque_1-1549879996.jpg (1600x1145, 337K)

There is no shoulder-fired rifle which could kill someone via sheer impact if it does not penetrate the armor? Why Newton's third law. If the impact was that powerful spread over a large armor plate then it would do far more damage to the SHOOTER, who has the recoil spread over a much smaller rifle butt.

Also, 4 bore is miserable for penetrating armor because its diameter is so large. It's sectional density is awful. 223 is far better at penetration that it is, despite being a fraction of the power.

Stop playing fortnite in physics class zoomie, and pay attention instead.

Slugs on steel plate with no anti-ricochet or soft armor backing then most of the fragments will hit your neck arteries. Some say the blunt force trauma from slugs can break your ribs and rupture internal organs but I believe this more to do with bad fit of the armor and insufficient padding, but this might be true due to the high kinetic energy transfered to the plate.

>One of the tardos who got BTFO in the armor thread started a thread of their own
LMAO
Put on some level 4 on and hold the butt of whatever weapons you're firing against it and you'll run out of handheld weapons before you find something that kills you in this manner.

Attached: k&k.png (864x722, 264K)

Brainlets like you can't in to KE=1/2mv^2, consider picking up a book.

While I agree with your point, shouldn't it be noted that there are other factors that reduce the recoil on the shooter such as the weight of the rifle or the presence of a brake? It's not a 1:1 with the energy into target and the energy into shooter.

If you're going to be coming at me with this you'd better be willing to specifically quantify how it applies to both the firearm and the bullet, I'm guessing you'll only be able to do the latter.

There's the Inkunzi PAW, which fires a subsonic 20mm HE grenade with a normal contact fuse.

A brake can help, sure. But consider the numbers. Even the best brakes we have today can only reduce recoil about 50%. Now consider than an un-penetrated armor plate has far more than twice the area of a rifle butt.

>>rifle mass
The armor plate has mass too broski.

Put down the video games, pick up a fucking textbook. For recoil I highly suggest reading Hatcher's Notebook by Julian Hatcher.

>Black power
>maximum charge
You are aware that BP has a very finite pressure which it can achieve? A modern BP gun should be strong enough to resist multiple overcharge, as it will not increase the pressure, just the fireball at the muzzle.

Not understanding sarcasm or ironic jokes is a sign of autism

Cringe.

I guess thats why people use backers with their plates

>be on 4channel
>find autists
Im shocked user, just bowled right the fuck over.

>Literally every Iraq and Afghanistan veteran that never left the wire that I've ever spoken to.

Unless we are talking about the likes of PTRD-41, unlikely

More likely just newfags than autists. I was on /tg/ a while ago and someone posted the Ken-sama thing in a sword thread and like a dozen people thought it was real. Keep in mind more than half of Jow Forums has been here less than 3 years.

To be fair, the concussive force of an M2 firing cyclic is a real thing. Like if you're there mashing down on that butterfly trigger, you feel the thunk in your chest. It can make your nose run. Whatever people say about .50 BMG, it all most likely is a huge exaggeration of the actual thing.

40 mm

it would not

m.youtube.com/watch?v=-sPPtp-iKLc
anyone who thinks slow and heavy will defeat armor please watch.
At the end they shoot it with a fucking canon and it doesnt penetrate but rather cracks the armor turning the plate itself into the projectile

What is the Carl gustaf

malcom in the middle is about to become malcom on national news

youtube.com/watch?v=BqApQEC51bE

You've just got to build up an immunity. Start small with 9mm like this man did and pretty soon it will take artillery to stop you.

why are you gay

That's actually debatable, there are some necked down/compact 20mm's for smaller/more compact weapon systems with lower velocities, and it's safe to say that some of the HE stuff won't penetrate lvl 4 (HE/HEF/etc)- but that doesn't really matter -because it's HE, and is going to kill anyone within a 3-5m radius of where it hits

>mass
1/2mv^2 , nigga

>There's the Inkunzi PAW, which fires a subsonic 20mm HE grenade with a normal contact fuse.

It's unlikely that 20mm HE PAW would pierce lvl 4 - being as it's a Low/medium velocity scaled down 20mm hispano/vulcan/oerlikon HE round with a maximum range of under 1200m.

That doesn't exactly matter though, because:
A: It's fucking HE/HE-F and will kill with concussion and fragmentation alone on a direct hit

B: It's probably capable of using a HEDP projectile (ie shaped charge+HE) - and then we starting getting into lesser known territory - how well ceramic/steel personal body armor plates work against shaped charge threats, and again it probably won't matter if it can penetrate a slavshit APC but not lvl 4 plates, because it's still got enough HE filler behind the shape charge to kill with concussion/fragmentation on a direct hit.

A recoillless rifle, an obvious exception to the term "shoulder fired rifle". It also fires explosive projectiles so we're also outside OP's question of impact.

Depending on what kind of charge you used it certainly might penetrate the plate.

IV8888 has a YT video of shooting a hard armor plate with his blackpowder cannon (50mm, IIRC) and it shattered it.

God I love this board

Ford F-150

It won’t kill you but it’ll hurt like a mother and knock you on your ass. Ever shoot a steel plate with a .308? Imagine that, but your body absorbing the energy instead of chains or a target stand.

>1/2mv^2
>applied over the area of the plate and accounting for padding
show a realistic application of this that results in death

The boxer threw one hell of a shitty punch.

who says im gay

oh, is that what the DP means? i spent four years saying HEDP but just realized i never stopped to wonder what the DP part is.

>It won’t kill you but it’ll hurt like a mother and knock you on your ass. Ever shoot a steel plate with a .308? Imagine that, but your body absorbing the energy instead of chains or a target stand.
conservation of energy dictates that impact felt will be no more intense than the recoil felt by the shooter's shoulder.

it means double penetrating

It does suck the snot out of your nose. But It's nowhere near as bad as the charly G.

False and bluepilled

m.youtube.com/watch?v=8wrksy8NbtM

Thank you

Believe it or not but a .75 cal ball from a muzzleloader probably could seriously injure from impact alone, or a slightly larger bore with a bigger ball like a .98 with a long barrel and good powder.

That doesn't take into account energy absorbed by the weapon do to its weight and or muzzle break.

Attached: 1554464354877.jpg (125x125, 3K)

Not dual purpose?

Ahahahahahaha

kek

.950 jdj

>That doesn't take into account energy absorbed by the weapon
Sure it does.

>and or muzzle break.
See

Kek

ITT: people acting like they know what they're talking about
youtube.com/watch?v=Ji5VpHaNySw
youtube.com/watch?v=o5f1Fo4r4_I

.22 if you shoot them in the head

u a ghee

Don't forget that the impulse experienced by the shootee is much higher because the bullet is decelerated almost instantly but accelerated over the entire length of the barrel.

>conservation of energy dictates that impact felt will be no more intense than the recoil felt by the shooter's shoulder.
Well, that just isn't true. Like the classic "bullets can't cause any damage except what they poke a hole in, i can shove harder than that" argument facklerites are so into memeing everywhere. The amount of time and surface area over which a force is applied is just as, if not more important, than the total energy in question. While the total impact energy of a bullet striking a target is lower than that of it's recoil the intensity of it(peak force) is muuuuch higher. That's why bullets put holes in people and butt stocks dont, and why driving into a brick wall ruptures internal organs while braking doesn't.

You do not understand what is being said.

Also
>You're not allowed to actually shoot at people with the .50 because it's against the Geneva Convention so we just shoot their vehicles and buildings
We actually had a guy ask our drill instructor if this was true

Sarcasm doesn't translate into text.

For example:
Oh a .45? That's not going to be a problem.

>3 years ago was 2016
>ive been here for 8 and am still a newfag
Man it's been a weird ride.

Attached: 1552611787320.jpg (2268x1503, 1.29M)

I don’t think body armor would stop a round of 14.5×114mm.

>what is impulse and why is it important?

Shit even shooting a 240 will get your nose running.

What’s the velocity on them BP rifles?
How much energy is given off when that ball/projectile shatters on impact?

What a thorough and well reasoned rebuttal. You sir clearly understand a great deal about physics with insight like that to share.

i was doing some math and desu its a bit hard to calculate as BP doesn't give the same muzzle velocity every time, but you would need either a wallpiece or a musketoon to hurt someone off just the impact.

.50 is still incredibly retarded strong compared to almost any other man-portable cartridge, but too many people think it's an anti-tank round that will shoot through a mountain.