What was the purpose of flails?

What was the purpose of flails?
Where they a useful weapon?

Attached: largemacepng.jpg (1000x658, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/B85tEumvz3w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Swinging around shields.

Also the type of flail in your pic wasn't common. Most flails looked like pic related.

Attached: Arte_De_Athletica_2b.jpg (1086x742, 547K)

>easy to make
>almost no skill required other than being self aware enough not to hit yourself
>would go around shields
>would wrap around other weapons

I killed a homeless boomer with one.. Shit was cash.

The longer staff kind seen here allowed unwashed and malnourished peasants to have a fighting chance against more professional soldiers and it was based on a farm tool so they were experienced in it's handling.

That's some real neat shit man, for some reason every weeb knows about the word kunai but this shit goes under the radar

So that in mind, would the OP pic be a weapon for more experienced fighters?

The only depictions I know of for that time of flail were used from horseback so yeah kinda

Doing God’s work user, boomers should be gassed

They didn't really exist.

Not really. They allowed farmers operating in very large groups to kill isolated men who had been violently dismounted. In a straight fight they'd still get fucking slaughtered.

It's kind of funny, if you consider the horse expendable, using it on horseback is probably the safest way to use one without whacking your knees accidentally

Of course they fucking existed. These flails are a tool to seperate the wheat from the chaff and were used in Europe into the 20th century.

american history month

Attached: Abooooooooooo.jpg (683x1024, 349K)

>if you consider the horse expendable
>be knight
>hit horse with flail on accident
>horse dies and you get thrown off of it
>now in pain and surrounded by peasants with pikes
Brilliant

You drastically underestimate the beating a horse can take. I'm not saying just fuckin hit the thing but if you don't mind the idea of a love tap every now and then, the total amount of self inflicted damage should fall dramatically as opposed to trying to swing one of those things standing. Have you ever tried? You need to put your friggin hips into it like pitching a ball to avoid the flail coming back to hit you should you miss

I've not but I ride horses quite often and I'll tell you that many horses would buck you off for shit like that. So my point still stands, I doubt it's just a love tap from their pov when it hits them in the head or neck.

You call a sharp pointed ball smashing into your body at high speeds "a love tap"?

Yes they did

youtu.be/B85tEumvz3w

Getting around basic barricades and shields and intimidation. And the fact that they were cheap, easy and quick to produce and really didn't require a whole of practice to use semi-effectively.

The post is referring to the ball on chain shit in OP. Something that saw little to no use.

Getting stabbed doesn't hurt half as bad as you think it does. It's not very fuckin fun but you do have to realize how much larger the creature is than you. He can take some punishment and if he doesn't see tomorrow, that's fine, he's just got to carry on until the end of battle
Literally just don't hit him in the head, don't know what else to tell you. I don't have a contingency plan for an asteroid impact, either. Some shit is too fucked. A shot to the ribs or the flank though, while shitty, would be perfectly survivable for some time, quote possibly even inconsequential in the long run assuming you don't break anything

Literally nobody saw their horse as expendable. The fact that you think people would use a sub-par weapon that we have zero evidence for, with obvious, massive disadvantages and NO upside,
at the risk of KILLING OR MAIMING THE MOST EXPENSIVE PART OF THEIR KIT MID FUCKING BATTLE is incredible. Stop posting.

>relying on your horse to carry you through battle
>decide "yeah whatever, I'll just kill my horse, no harm done, right?"
>horse goes down as you club it to death with both ends of your weapon
>you are now 70-90% slower
>everyone else isn't

Protip: if the handle is long enough you might even not hit your horse at all!

What about this?

Attached: heavy-metal-dire-flail-530805.jpg (800x800, 42K)

How do you use that shit in combat?

Attached: giphy (1).gif (500x212, 480K)

>I killed a homeless boomer with one
For what purpose? Did he insult your liege?

Attached: 1472731765488.jpg (960x850, 155K)

Attached: noblemanswerve.jpg (778x658, 179K)