Any recommendations for carriage bolts for steel plates that won't shatter when shot with a rifle...

Any recommendations for carriage bolts for steel plates that won't shatter when shot with a rifle? I use chains and bolts to hold a few ar500 targets for handgun shooting and never had a bolt from any of them show any wear and tear from a direct hit. But I set up a 50yd and a 100yd plate hung from a t-iron post like pic related today to shoot black rifles and hunting rifles with, and destroyed the bolt head on both within the first 10 minutes with 223 rounds

Attached: 1992a4e27e3fc46d15fbadc95f0760f4.jpg (563x1000, 213K)

Other urls found in this thread:

shootingtargets7.com/customer-submitted
xsteeltargets.com/Articles.asp?ID=262
youtu.be/WwUXLENlsyU?t=275
m.youtube.com/watch?v=0GpKZzt29BM
m.youtube.com/watch?v=mfml0mbH3MQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yeah.

Do tell, friend

Yeah.

Use bolts with higher tinsel strength. Look for the gold ones.

Use a hanging Frame and wide strips of rubber, they can take quite a few hits. Or stop shooting the bolt, that works too.

Don't rely on stiff bolts to keep them in place. They WILL fail eventually.
Dangle the target from chains and add an additional chain at the bottom that forces the target to angle downwards, deflecting the bullet remains into the ground. Like a Y with the target at the center.

Fence post and screw a ladder rack into it. Best target stand ever

jesus you guys suck at engineering basics, OP you dumb fuck dont use a hardened bolt to hold a lever you plan on shocking with a high impact force, you either need a bolt on top and bottom or use a mild steel rod you can use a tap and die set to put threads on it and bolt the plate to that, it wont shatter but might bend a bit if you still hit the bottom a lot

I used grade 8 bolts in pic related
Not all grade 8 bolts are gold
Look for 8 lines on the head of the bolt
The bolt on the left was hit with xm193
The chain on the left was hit with 7.62x54 ball
The chain is tractor supply chain. So probably Chinese.
If you mount your plate correctly it will be canted forward, no need for a 3rd chain.

Attached: 825C838F-D821-4623-B39C-DDC6039A3C62.jpg (1536x2048, 1.61M)

I didn’t use OPs setup because I felt the Tpost or wood post would fail before the chains.
Pic related
Is the proper way to hang your gong targets.

Attached: AACEC388-D609-4D91-88EC-900A596EC46C.jpg (224x168, 5K)

Do the opposite of this. Softer steel will not shatter grade 8 will shatter

Grade 8 bolts have 6 lines, not 8.

>If you mount your plate correctly it will be canted forward,
Yes.

Good advice. Softer bolts are more likely to bend than shatter, and just about anything will be seriously damaged by a direct rifle hit.

Carriage bolts are cheap. I keep a bunch of them as spares.

I haven't shot high velocity rifle rounds at my targets but I've noticed that grade 8 bolts don't even show any damage in the least when hit by 9mm.

Hang them from chain. The set up you have now is too rigid. Every hit on the plate turns the plate into a lever that’s prying at the bolt and bolt head.

Use 2 t-posts with a crossbar between them. Short chains from the crossbar, attached to the plate at the 10 and 2 oclock positions. Problem solved.

The target I posted hereIs 4 years old. And the grade 8 bolts have been hit several times. No bending, no shattering and the only damage is what you see.

Will grade 5 bolts work. Yes
Will you save a shelkel or two. Yes
Is it really that important which bolts us use. No
Could I hang the target with bailing wire instead of chain. Yes.
You could buy zinc chinesium bolts by the handful are replace them each time if you want.

Don’t get too butthurt, my experience is the grade 8 have worked for years.

lines, not 8.
Another example of my fallibility

I switched to heavy fencing wire for my portable targets

Attached: dxIajet[1].jpg (640x480, 78K)

I use those fuckers, whatever the hell they're called. Got tired of chains cause they wrap around and stay there.

Attached: 20190511_070649.jpg (4032x1960, 2.49M)

>tinsel
lol no angle
you gonna catch a ricochet

Locking d rings
AKA those fuckers

Not safe user
See pic related

You wouldn’t walk around with your finger on the trigger, pointing a firearm at people because it’s unsafe.
So why would you hang your target in a unsafe manner?

Attached: 8244B275-942E-4D4A-81D4-DC3191ED687B.jpg (300x300, 28K)

Just about any bolt will survive pistol fire (assuming normal calibers like 9, 40, 45, etc.)
Just about any bolt will be damaged by a direct rifle hit.

Honestly with thicc bolts they won't be any more damaged than the AR500.

With 3000 fps bullets any steel, no matter how thick, will show pits from impacts. It can't be helped, it's the extreme heat that causes the pitting.

Attached: 077-807_347.jpg (530x530, 26K)

pardon my ignorance, but what it unsafe about it?

When it's being shot at, there shouldn't be anyone around to get hurt in the first place. what is the target going to do?

Never had an issue, look at all the spalling on the wood. Being on a swinging D ring is much safer than a rigid mount.

They think a vertical plate will ricochet bullets back at you.

Watch the video
shootingtargets7.com/customer-submitted
If you cannot wait, Fast forward to 3:20

The angle at which you set up your target can help to reduce the chances of ricochet. Angling the target correctly, which is determined by the caliber of gun and the target itself, has been shown to minimize the likelihood of a ricochet happening drastically.
Experts recommend a 20-degree angle for the highest level of safety. When the target is straight up and down, pitting is more likely to occur, which can worsen bullet fragments. The angle works to scatter the force of the bullet over a greater area when it hits. Additionally, by angling the target downward 20 degrees, the fragments are guided toward the ground.

xsteeltargets.com/Articles.asp?ID=262

just link to the fucking youtube video, dumbass
youtu.be/WwUXLENlsyU?t=275
some guy asserting that you'll shoot your eye out, kid is not proof

8$ for 2$ worth of mounting hardware. Fuck off shilling kike.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=0GpKZzt29BM

Calm down, Karen

I found a video of your fat ass almost getting hit by a ricochet. But you saved a shekel
m.youtube.com/watch?v=mfml0mbH3MQ

cool, so angling it isn't important, the only important thing is that it swings freely

Completely different mounting. You're really reaching there, kid. If you could manage to hit a plate and not shill for overpriced hardware you would know swinging D rings are perfectly safe.

>almost getting hit
Which one was it that "almost hit him"? The perspective makes it impossible to tell which way they are going.

the people who make AR500 steel targets recommend the targets are mounted at a 20 degree angle.

these idiots

think they know better than the people who make the targets.
they are the morons infesting /k