Arisaka sporter rechambered in 30.06

why are there so many of these rifles?
also whats more is that i always see them in this exact same stock
this seems like a good git er' done rifle like the mosin was, only in a more common caliber and stronger action
they're cheap as shit and appeal to weebs

Attached: sporterarisaka.png (729x239, 418K)

Cut it out Hank, nobody wants to buy your butchered Jap rifle collection. You coming to Moms house tomorrow? She hasnt seen you since you dropped out of college, she's worried.

>come back after ww2
>have Arisaka or buy one from another vet
>want to hunt but have no money to buy a new rifle
>chop up your Arisaka since they're a dime a dozen
That's why they're so many of them user.

>>want to hunt but have no money to buy a new rifle
>chop up your Arisaka since they're a dime a dozen
or just leave the fucking rifle alone

>no ammo to hunt with, they tossed it all in the ocean.

For the same reason that teenagers in the 50s chopped up Model T’s to make hot rods, but nobody would do it now.

A good American .30 cal round is better than anything those baby-bayonetting bastards could come with.

It's the post war Truck Gun of choice, cheapest gun, cheapest ammo

>spend what would equate to 2-5 bucks a round
>spend a hundred to rechamber the rifle to shoot ammo that costs a dollar a round
Back then 7.7 I imagine was not common for the usa at all
Besides most people back then were like"fuck these nips, fuck their rifles, and fuck their ammo, it's all getting freedumized"

>they're cheap as shit
Not anymore

is it 30-06 or 30.06
and what does it mean

.30 cal and made in 1906
google it next time retard

30 means the amount of Japs it kills, and 06 is the amount of shots it takes to kill that many. It takes 6 shots to kill 30 japs with .30-06, just like it takes 40 shots to kill 44 japs with .44-40. My favorite is .30-30 because it is one shot per kill, making you more accurate.

a those numbers are off and b many of the factory arisaka stocks i've seen are pretty shitty even in brand new condition.

Does that mean that 308 kills 308 nipons without even shooting the gun?

They weren't collectible after WW2 you stupid nigger kys

just a guess but overall shooting regular arisakas in 7.7 is more expensive

It was somewhat common for soldiers to capture bolt-action infantry rifles as trophies, sometimes as just memorabilia, but often because it was a free gun and could with not too much investment be turned into an alright sporter, which was far cheaper than buying an all new commercial sporter, and if done by a good gunsmith, would be almost as good.
Rechambering would be done because there's fuckall for 7.7mm Arisaka in North America, and .30-06 Springfield will actually work if the chamber is properly converted (and actually, even if it quite isn't).

You think they gave a shit? They won a free gun in the war and they're putting them to use.

I swear milsurp collector spergs have absolute tunnel vision.

7.7mm Arisaka isn't actually that far off from .30-06 Springfield (M2 Ball).
Neither is 7.92mm Mauser, actually, which is why .30-06 casings can pretty easily converted and loaded as 7.92mm Mauser ammunition.

It actually kills only .308 per shot. Its full name is .308-1, but the -1 is silent. That's why these new rounds are such garbage.

After the war there were domestic manufacturers making 7.7 and 6.5 because of all the Jap guns that came back.

After WWII there was a massive surplus of cheap Arisakas. .30-06 was a far cheaper and more common round to buy in the US and the rechamber job was easy as fuck, so tons of 'em got sporterized.

Just like mosins a few years ago, there were so many arisakas and they were so cheap that nobody gave a shit about sporterizing them. They were a cheap as hell, super common gun.

>I swear milsurp collector spergs have absolute tunnel vision.
I think the real problem is people conflating valuable milsurps with generic crap. Sure, SOME milsurps are rare as hell and worth a ton of money. But most never were and never will be. Big fucking difference between, say, a G41(M) and an Arisaka with the mum ground off or a nugget

If they didn’t have the chrysantheum they were lower than dirt tier collecitble wise, and you can bet your ass no one with a functioning brain was going to try to buy some rare expensive Japanese meme round after the war over something like .30-06

You want the actual answer? Because the retard doing it thought he could turn something cheap into the Remchester he actually wanted. In reality, he shot the gun one time, then threw it into the closet and actually bought the Remchester he wanted.

Ground mum = noncollectable. Intact "mum" = collectable. This sort of shit, non-collectors give, is the reason why I see people at gun shows pass over a GOOD collectable Arisaka for the refinished turd next to it. Arisakas with intact "mums" aren't even fucking rare. About have them intact.

Attached: IMG_0764.jpg (1150x1200, 438K)

>41450924 (you)

Attached: Screenshot_20190322-121426_GunBroker.jpg (1080x1920, 346K)

>You want the actual answer? Because the retard doing it thought he could turn something cheap into the Remchester he actually wanted. In reality, he shot the gun one time, then threw it into the closet and actually bought the Remchester he wanted.

You don't have a lot of familiarity with professional sporterizations, a lot of them could be almost as good, in a few cases even better than the average commercial sporter.
It depends on who did it, and how they did it, pic related doesn't compare to some dude hacksawing the handguard of a still cosmoline drenched 91/30 in his garage.

Attached: IMG_0196.jpg (2013x909, 596K)

Nobody said intact mums were rare, user. But if the mum is ground off it's pretty much worthless to a collector unless the gun has some other rare features that make it worth putting up with the ground-off mum, which is vanishingly unlikely.

Most of the ones WITH mums are also worthless collectables for some other reason, like the refinish you mentioned.

Some mosins are valuable. Most are not.

Congratulations, you found the one garbage rod someone would pay thousands for.
That must mean every 91/30 is super extra valuable and must be preserved for the future, right?

People who aren't collectors probably shouldn't talk about collecting.

Attached: Screenshot_20181223-000634_GunBroker.jpg (1080x1920, 433K)

>You don't have a lot of familiarity with professional sporterizations
Most aren't "professional" in the slightest and even then they usually don't shoot any better than they did before.
>Nobody said intact mums were rare, user.
I hear that shit all the time.

There is nothing that makes a common gun "worthless." Why do non-collectors think that it has to be something exceptional to be a collector's item?

Wow, a completely generic 91/30 with a big pricetag, you sure showed me!

Rebedding the stock can do a lot because a lot of old infantry bolt-action repeaters had woeful fucking bedding.
Then you have shit like triggers.

Like Enfield rifles can vary dramatically in inherent precision and the feel of the trigger, which suggests the manufacture and quality wasn't always consistent in some departments, and there's technically room for improvement.

>This sort of shit, non-collectors give, is the reason why I see people at gun shows pass over a GOOD collectable Arisaka for the refinished turd next to it
Golly gee, people want nice guns to shoot, rather than an authentic hunk of rust and pits, what a bunch of fucking retards, am I right?

Y'all see what I mean about milsurp collectors being autistic?

>I hear that shit all the time.
Perhaps, but nobody mentioned it ITT so your comment seems out of place.

>>There is nothing that makes a common gun "worthless."
If you want to be pedantic, sure. I admit it's hyperbole to call any gun "worthless".

>Why do non-collectors think that it has to be something exceptional to be a collector's item?
I am a collector. I don't see any point in collecting common guns. Different stokes for different folks, I'm sure. I just don't get the appeal of collecting guns which there are millions of examples of. They're not interesting. It's the rare, special, and oddball shit that most collectors are interested in, which is why the rare, special, and oddball shit sells for many many times the price of the common stuff.

I own quite a few milsurps in my collection. None of them are run-of-the-mill common ones. Those don't interest me specifically *because* they are so common.

Because there was no commercial 7.7 or 6.5 Arisaka.

>implying

You can make brass from 8mm mauser or 30-06. 6.5 Arisaka brass is a unicorn and only occasionally made in small batches.

this

most sporterizations are not professional tho. most are dogshit.

>people want nice guns to shoot
Then why don't they buy a modern commercial sporting rifle? Bubba'd milsurps are not nice guns to shoot.

A lot are bad, but there's plenty which are alright.

Many were made in their original factories out of surplus parts (Springfield would make sporters out of surplus Krag and 1903 rifle parts and actions, sometimes complete rifles, for instance, then sell them commercially).

Attached: Mauser Classic Commercial Sporter.jpg (3056x2292, 832K)

Refurbs aren't bubba, also old military rifles have a different feel from modern sporters.
Like an old Madsen M47 is going to be a very different experience from a Savage Axis.

You can enjoy this kind of gun without obsessively collecting or being bothered about mixed parts or a redone finish. It's like why a Colt 1873 clone is worth owning and shooting, even if there are FAR more advanced and practical handguns on the market.

Attached: Madsen Model 1947 - .30-06.jpg (2160x463, 500K)

My Madsen has a divot in the chamber which makes extraction almost impossible. Very unbased.

Albania made less than 200 M91/30s. It is nothing "generic" about it. This is why non-collectors should shut up.

Weird. I own some very collectable guns with their original finish intact and are neither rusted or pitted and I do shoot them.

then buy a reproduction and fuck that up. why fuck up a piece of history?

>Ground mum = noncollectable.
This is an answer from 1996. We’ve basically gotten to the point where there’s no such thing as noncollectable milsurp. Some more than others? Sure. But at this point, anything that hasn’t been bubba’d with a literal hacksaw has some collector value, which is only going to increase.

And it's increasing mostly because people say "they made millions, my hacksaw isn't going to turn these things into a collectible" and now we have nuggets going for $400.

>.30-06 Springfield will actually work if the chamber is properly converted
Yeah but not that well since 30-06 is .003" narrower

Did you not see the uwu bulge thread we had on this yesterday?
I suppose not, some people probably had things to do on a beautiful Saturday instead of sit at home.

That’s part of it, but mostly they’re increasing because they’re just getting older. People don’t treat mid-20th century guns as cheap blasters anymore for the same reason people don’t drive 50s cars as cheap jalopies anymore.

They're increasing, sure. But even a $400 nugget barely registers as pocket change to serious collectors. Have yo seen what shit sells for at real collector auctions? No, I don't mean gunbroker. I mean Julia, Morphy, Rock Island. Real collector guns sell for 5, 6, 7 figures. Not three.

That's not because of Bubbas, you fucking retard, that's because they used to be constantly imported and supply was far higher than demand could hope to keep up with, and now they aren't imported anymore.
Look at the Nagant revolver, it's an old piece of shit that nobody bought, and nobody fucking modified them short of a few people who would thread the barrel for a suppressor, they used to go for less than $100, just because there were so many of them, and nobody wanted them.
Now that they're not imported anymore, they go for a higher value, and it's not because they all got Bubba'd away, they're still easy to find but not for those prices.

I can fucking promise you that Bubba hackjobs haven't had a measurable impact on the value of milsurp, you economically illiterate autist.

It works absolutely fine, that difference is tiny, and the lockup of the Arisaka action is nigh indestructible, the bullet will swage down to that size, possibly at slightly accelerated wear to the rifling or the throat of the bore.

They were probably done by a milsurp company, like the Bannerman Mosins were.

>I can fucking promise you that Bubba hackjobs haven't had a measurable impact on the value of milsurp, you economically illiterate autist.
That’s true, with a couple of minor exceptions. So many M1917s, Krags, and to a lesser extent M1903s got hacked up by bubba that it probably did increase the value of the un-bubba’d ones to some measurable extent. But generally, yes - bubba probably hasn’t affected milsurp prices all that much at all.

Because it makes surplus autists REEEEEEEEE

>m1917s

press F to pay respects

For the Krag, it's because they got retired and mass surplused after just a decade and people immediately started buying them, either as is, or to make sporters, and for a long time a surplus Krag action built into a hunting rifle was a staple income for gunsmiths.

They were still new and had barely any history at all. It's as if the US Military would surplus the new pistol in a few years, nobody would care about the historical value because they're just used pistols with no history.

They don't make repros of military bolt action rifles.
Guns are made to be fired, and if one is in bad condition, I'll refinish it as I please.

Reminder that Type 99 rifles were rechambered to .30-06 for the Korean War

Attached: Cal30.jpg (900x675, 226K)

It's because there are fewer, not because they are older. 10 years ago nuggets were ~80 years old instead of ~90, but it wasn't those extra 10 years of age that made them 300% more valuable, it was the fact that they all got sold and many got chopped.

They got sold, yeah, supply and demand evened out, but even if a lot got chopped, I don't think even 5% of all the world's nugget have been bubbafied.

Those things are faked a lot.

I have a completely fucking generic M91/30 in an Albanian stock, there's a very good chance they made a bunch of shit for their garbage rods and shoved it in some dark hole and forgot about it which leads to this oddly low production number.
I ran across a sporter built out of one of those conversions, thing got hosed in a fire to the point the barrel had drooped so it became a glorified paperweight. A lot of folks seem to forget there was a fairly large market for sporterizing military rifles after World War II, they had next to no value at the time and it was widespread enough that companies like Pachmayr released little books about sporterizing. There were even gunsmiths like Charles Flaig and PO Ackley that did a fair amount of business in buying military actions and reconstructing them into to sporting rifles, it may seem insane these days but in 1946-47 taking a three or four year old K98K Mauser and making a sporting rifle was a no brainer. Hell I have an NRA Sporter Springfield which is a legitimate factory sporting rifle, the Remington Model 30 Express were entirely built out of M1917 actions that were recontoured.

>strong action
Man am I tired of hearing that. One youtube video mentions this, and now every retard has to parrot it.

Has anyone ever, literally ever, broken a 1903 or any Mauser because the action was too weak? Not some imperfection in metallurgy, the actual action itself. Fuck no they haven't. You can buy em in almost any caliber imaginable. You can fucking handload 8mm to .300 winmag power with no conversion necessary. Please stop parroting this like it matters. "Weak actions" Are like the kind of shit you'd see in the mid-late 1800s when bolt actions first became really viable with black powder brass cartrdiges.

So why in the fuck does action strength matter, if you're never going to even be pushing the limits of what it can take in the caliber it's chambered for?

>albanian not polish chinese russian chinese sks m44 nugget sold for more than $2000
What in the actual fuck?
Most, but that’s not to say there aren’t good sporters out there.

Attached: C7D0E4CD-AAB9-448C-934E-D1E64B25358D.jpg (960x539, 39K)

>Has anyone ever, literally ever, broken a 1903
are you fucking kidding? you can shoot 8mm out of an arisaka and all that will happen is skinny bullets will hit your target. they didn't have any "metallurgical imperfections" either

Attached: 5jwxeg.jpg (492x707, 51K)

>you can shoot 8mm out of an arisaka and all that will happen is skinny bullets will hit your target
And why is that a good thing or in any way valuable?
>they didn't have any "metallurgical imperfections" either
Yes, they did.

Why do I have a feeling half of these people here are the ones that buy a common mosin and treat it like some 1000 plus dollar rifle and claim they own a rare antique.

>And why is that a good thing or in any way valuable?
It demonstrates the kind of stupid-ass bullshit you can put an Arisaka action through without making it explode.

I figure you could easily use an Arisaka as a basis for a rifle in .50 Alaskan or something along those lines.

Attached: IMG_3096.jpg (800x557, 57K)

show me pictures of broken arisaka receivers

>Has anyone ever, literally ever, broken a 1903
You cut off half the statement
>because the action was too weak
You can go out and buy a Mauser action rifle in African big game calibers. The action strength hasn't been an issue since before your great-great-grandparents were born.
>pictures of broken receivers from hammering, not shooting
>also guns made decades before the Arisaka
This just in, 1900s metallurgy inferior to 1940s metallurgy. Has nothing to do with the action strength, as quite clearly those failures weren't caused by actual use of the gun.
Coincidentally I don't have access to the wartime Japanese QC reports, shocking.
And you don't have to imagine it for Mausers, as they are the basis for big game rifles. No guesswork needed, it exists.

Because in ten years they will own a $1000+ antique if they don't cut the wood and drill the metal.

Attached: RIA 1903 Broken Receiver (1).jpg (600x402, 46K)

>91/30
>$1000
Not in a century, pal.

Attached: SA 1903 Broken Receiver (1).jpg (600x402, 45K)

Attached: 700 K low number springfield 2 2015_zpscy0x04cx.jpg (640x413, 40K)

Attached: standard.jpg (409x284, 45K)

>more pictures of early production springfields
I think I covered this, but since you don't seem to understand. I'll try again 1905's metallurgy was in fact inferior to 1940s metallurgy. So don't buy an early model springfield-you can't afford one anyway if you're shilling Arisakas.

And again, this is not indicative of action strength. As the Mauser action was, is, and will continue to be the basis for damn near every bolt-action rifle there is. Including big game rifles.

They sell for 4x as much today as they did in 2009, I look forward to seeing what they sell for in 2029.

Probably still 400 or maybe 500, depending on inflation. I promise you that this shit is on a plateau for the foreseeable future.

yeah

And M1 prices will drop once all the boomers all die, I know, I've heard it before.

The M1 is expensive because the M1 was expensive to begin with. It just had a low price for a while on the market due to all the surplus.

$1000 is about right for a self-loading .30-06 rifle with a forged receiver.

Never forget

Attached: Pre-ww2 finnish mosin nagant that have been raped.jpg (770x576, 333K)

for a new, modern production garand yeah. 1k at the absolute minimum. An 80 year old beater that they made 5+ million copies of isn't worth that.

It is when there isn't a surplus anymore and people realize that they're actually pretty good rifles, not casually grouping them in with any generic and cheap Nagant, Mauser, or Carcano.

Found that listing on Gunbroker. It's a late series 30 gun built by Toyo Kogyo.
It's not early war for sure, but it's not late/last ditch. There's still knurling on the knob on the back.
Also that one is still in 7.7x58.