Why did the AR-18 fail?

Why did the AR-18 fail?

Attached: AR-18.jpg (3828x1677, 1.02M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=A5efOVnyTT8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Most Irish were too poor.

Attached: d91j90p-2c51d8ac-4b2e-4bc8-9445-6b911cf520aa.png (960x702, 524K)

Don't know man, probably some government intrigue

>Widowmaker

It didn't, it just wasn't addopted by the US military because they were after an intermediate cartridge.

too sexy for this world

I wish someone made an AR-18/AR-10 hybrid, and AR-18 in .308. Could be neat.

isn't this the rifle that everybody copies now?

daily reminder: nobody ever copied anything off the AR-15
> shit charging handle
> sure would be nice to have an adjustable gas block
> no reason to avoid more efficient manufacturing techniques
> lmao you really want that sewer pipe hanging off the back, have fun in a vehicle

Attached: plr.jpg (1200x596, 71K)

It was unnecessary. They were supposed to be a lower-cost alternative to the AR-15 for poor nations that agreed to be on our side in the Cold War, but there were so many Garands and M1 Carbines left over from WWII that the US could just hand those out as military aid to whatever allied nation wanted them. If you’re poor, cheap is good, but free is even better.

It still left a legacy namely in the G36 and SA80, but it wasn't a significant enough improvement over the newly adopted M16 to justify replacement.

Attached: 1556461672388.jpg (1183x800, 269K)

That's pretty much what the SCAR-H is.

Dude, what do you think it was chambered in?

OP, I assume the US was already tooled up for milled receivers, so a sheet metal design wasn't going to do it for them. Several Euro countries, Belgium and Germany come to mind, did run with a short stroke, rotating bolt action on rails design. But while the G36 was a close cousin, I'm not sure how close the fuck huge tappet gas system in the SCAR derives straight from the AR18.

AR-16?

Couldn’t have said it better. Say it louder for the /arg/ fags in the back

>brainlet.

Scar 17.

This. It wasn't good enough for developed country service and not cheap enough to adopt for poor country use. The poor countries all had g3s anyway which where fine and the logistics where more important than the intermediate vs full rifle. It just came at a bad time for adoption. It did come at an excellent time for development though, almost every modern gun is a decedent, nothing off the ar15 was copied.

Because the US had already adopted the AR15 by that point. The AR18 lives on in spirit inside nearly every modern service rifle though.

Did its job quite nicely if you ask me

Attached: 66kandu.png (600x600, 382K)

Read this

Yeah, instead everyone copied the entire rifle and began making their own.

>nobody ever copied the ar15
Most countries either just bought them or copied their own version of an ar. Stay forever salty about the ar15s success.

Attached: D7697A60-D597-4CD7-88E9-60A0DCA54EC4.gif (322x178, 2.56M)

>pretty much every modern firearm that isn't an AR-15 derivative essentially copies the internals of the AR-18
>"failed"

Reminder for you retards:
The AR18 was not made to be a successor to the AR15, it was a lower cost cheaper to manufacture rifle, included a stamped steel folded hammer , intended to be made in countries that couldn't even reliable cast trigger components.
Both the AR15 and AR18 have been copied or used as the inspiration for other rifles countless times.

Because it wasn't better than the AR15, in fact it was measurably worse (particularly compared to the M16A1), in that the receiver isn't quite as structurally strong as it should have been.

The short-stroke piston, and radial lugged rotating bolt, in a carrier riding on two guiderods, that's a good concept, and that's why it was copied a lot, but the original AR18 in itself just wasn't great in execution.

>nobody copied anything from the AR15
Except for the entire rifle, you dumb faggot.

key word: alternative

Ar15 fucked this guys mom

>This thread

Attached: IMG_20190509_233928.jpg (500x637, 110K)

eat shit britfag

Cry about it.

>nobody ever copied anything off the AR-15
ar-15 isn't the only direct impingement rifle in the world.

Attached: balfm19-serbu-solo.jpg (1086x610, 98K)

Tiocfaidh ár lá

>It wasn't good enough for developed country service

and yet its action has been copied numerous times

> posts a shit looking rifle
> with exposed gas tube
right, tell me more about compentent gun architects are doing ar15 things

Yes, because the action itself is conceptually VERY good (a reliable piston, a secure and consistent lockup, the bolt-carrier riding on guiderods, thus letting you use far lighter materials for the receiver, etc), but the original execution was somewhat lackluster.

Though it has a sort of unique look to it that I really like.

Attached: ArmaliteAr1801.jpg~original.jpg (1024x681, 58K)

it's more accurate and lighter than an m82 while still being a semi auto 50 cal. but *muh aesthetics* trumps everything for you fags.

it's still 1 rifle, invented for a special purpose
your cherrypicked example doesn't change that gun designers for the last 65 years have been ignoring the ar15

It's a fucking .50BMG anti-materiel rifle, do you think the thing is gonna get banged up in CQB or something?

because its worse than an ar15
simple as that
its the budget model

>do you think the thing is gonna get banged up
if you give it to troops in combat, yes

>gun designers for the last 65 years have been ignoring the ar15
Yeah, the mountains and mountains of clones and parts doesn't exist.

You realize pic related exists because people thought the AR15 was so good they copied the entire rifle?
More, the receiver design of the AR15 is copied a lot, the same hinged two piece receiver with the same kind of safety shows up in a lot of guns.

Attached: M&P-15 Sport (Magpul).jpg (800x520, 76K)

>still part of the UK
enjoy that freedom, seamus

Why is that guy dressed as a women?

Yeah but we killed the most civilians.

>gun designers for the last 65 years have been ignoring the ar15
yeah, all the tinkering to the ar platform over the last 65 years has nothing to do with the ar 15. whole firearms have been made to mimic the ar receiver setup alone. hell the very rifle this thread is based upon is an improvement upon the ar 15.

Attached: HK416.jpg (2143x834, 279K)

>that's a man
I know you're joking, but I am OK with that.

I wish HOWA could export the Jap service rifles, I would give my right nut to own a Type 64 in good condition. It's not like I'm using it.

Look at his hands and his legs. That's a man.

I guess his hands are pretty big, but I don't look at enough girlhands to know.

Also his arms are too thick as are his legs relative to his waist.

The military wanted some "futuristic" proprietary crap. So they went with a rifle with an action that was never tried before, and never done again, for a reason.

>killed the most civillians
That's where you went wrong.

It was designed for a niche market that was so niche it basically didn't exist.

It was a simpler design intended to be cheap and easy to manufacture in poorer nations that couldn't afford the M16. The US didn't adopt it because it already spent a shitload of money on the M16 and then upgrading to the M16A1. Poorer nations either had already spent the time and money to develop their own cheaper alternative to the M16, bought the M16, or were receiving AK47's for free from the Soviets.

Good gun, but it was released at exactly the wrong time. Had it been released prior to or concurrently with the AR-15/M16, it probably would have taken off.

DI was used by a lot of countries. French for example

The military literally didn't want the M16 to begin with and tried their absolute best to sabotage it so they could keep their precious M14 garbagefire.

Urban camouflage.

Because domestically it’s niche was filled by the m1 carbine and mini 14 and internationally by free or practically free m16’s, m14’s, garands, and m1 carbines the US was slinging as military aid

Attached: B35D5A6D-E645-48A8-885F-8F5E63139628.jpg (800x534, 78K)

Why is the tranny holding the rifle all stupid?

theyre neat collectors rifles

Attached: trio (3).jpg (2592x1944, 3.93M)

>never seen the crying game
>never seen breakfast on Pluto

IRA is the original home of the range trap.

The AR15 is remarkably different from classic direct impingement as seen in rifles like the MAS49 or Hakim.
Stoner was the first to add a gas key and have gas go inside the carrier, as opposed to just have the gas tapped from the bore and shoving the carrier from the outside (not entirely unlike how a short-stroke piston on something like the SVT40 or FAL just shoves a bolt-carrier, except it also blows a lot of gas all over the place).

With Stoner's setup, gas is vented out the ejection-port in a much more controlled manner (as opposed to in every direction), most fouling staying inside the carrier, and allows for a perfectly in-line recoil impulse, contributing to inherent precision and recoil control.

Attached: gas expansion.gif (1072x268, 144K)

It'll be back once everybody realizes the superiority of the platform for SBR builds. Brownell's has a head start in this regard

>AR-18 in .308.
AR16.

based

Interesting. If only I wasnt broke from this hobby.

>p.s. It's not our fault if some provos shoot some RUC okay
mfw

Attached: b8a.jpg (431x580, 46K)

youtube.com/watch?v=A5efOVnyTT8

Its making a comeback.

Attached: 20190415_110832.jpg (4032x1960, 3.18M)

>AR-18 itself failed
>But pretty much every rifle made after it was internally an AR-18
How the fuck does that work?

Attached: 1491421457251.jpg (600x600, 216K)

>including the SA80 of all things
More like every modern rifle that isn't an AR15 derivative

How do you like it? I have been looking at them pretty hard since they came out

Also, they never left, just changed form.

The AR18 itself had some durability and manufacturing issues with the receiver, and was sort of an answer looking for a problem at the time when it was made. It wasn't better enough than an AR15 to justify replacing all our shiny new rifles immediately, poor allies could still get shipped WW2 surp, and rich allies wanted to develop their own rifles. And, to get something that has definite mechanical advantages over an AR15 without being an AR15, you want the system of the AR18. I would still argue that DI is still better suited to a standard rifle, especially for civilians, but the short stroke piston offers some real benefits for a military- mainly that they need a lot less maintenance.

I love it.
It does tend to lock open on the bolt carrier rather than the bolt face so theres an issue Ive found.
Also not a big fan of the law tactical folder. It is solid enough but I think I want to try other options.

Interesting, thanks for that. Have you by chance tried it with different types of magazine?

Not really. My only polymer ones are PMags. I have some brownells aluminum 30s and OKay ind 20s that I could try out but I havent.

The buffer tube hanging off the back is theoretically a weakness, but it's also what gives the rifle such a pleasant recoil impulse compared to other designs.

Even the HK416 held onto the buffer tube even as it changed up the gas system.

How many countries have adopted your Lel Kek?

Attached: ar15currentusers.png (1152x937, 155K)

Here's the HK416's current users. It retains the same charging handle, manufacturing methods, and buffer tube. Nobody ever "copied off the AR-15" because the design is open source and parts can interchange. The AR-15 is the ideal modern intermediate caliber small arm. Go out and shoot, noguns

Attached: hk416currentusers.png (1152x940, 137K)