Handgun General - /hg/ - #292

Shooting loads edition

Pastebin:
pastebin.com/gs6mLNik

Guide:
scribd.com/document/382993265/gitgud-1-rev2-1

previous thread

Attached: 1375765365186.jpg (3264x1840, 903K)

Big Iron! Biiig Iiiron!!!

Attached: 62690_1.jpg (500x236, 13K)

Attached: 1549328424164.jpg (512x365, 29K)

Convince me not to buy an FNX-45 chambered in .460 Rowland and to just stick with 9mm for the rest of my life.
I've really wanted a "handcannon" and since Wildey Survivors aren't very common anymore since no one remembers Death Wish 3 I doubt I'll be able to get my hands on one of those.

I just want a Deagle in .357 that will eat spicy reloads in brushed stainless. I'd OC it like it deserves.

Don't buy an FNX-45 chambered in .460 Rowland. Just stick with 9mm for the rest of your life.

Attached: forty.jpg (2200x1467, 1.33M)

I sure as Hell wouldn't buy .40S&W.

>Mateba assembling new 6 Unicas
This was uploaded within the last few days. Fuck lads, I'm excited.

Attached: xHW4FrGuSmy1zfnGKXA6w-1024x768.jpg (1024x768, 165K)

>only a year later than promised

Hopefully they make more than 50.

Would a glock 40 be dumb for going /out/ doing bushcraft/hiking/camping given it weighs 45 ounces loaded? Also what flashlight should I use for a longslide glock?
I want to larp like I live in bear country

But seriously, is there really any advantage to big fuck-off rounds? Or is just there to show that shooting water jugs makes a bigger explosion?

This guy fucks.

>english on boxes
Wait I thought those were being made in Italy?

Yeah, the faster ones deflect less when shot through barriers and glass.

Bigger bullets DO quantifiably expand more, but it doesn't seem to result any differently in effect on humans.

I'm definitely not an expert, but it surely seems that there are significantly diminishing returns beyond 9mm.

Seems like massive overkill to me unless you actually encounter large (not black) bears regularly and genuinely do fear for your life enough to add a pound and a quarter to your pack. But I don't know a bear from a hole in the ground.

Modern loadings for 9mm make me think there's no point to anything else, in terms of defense, until you get to .357 mag which was basically designed to zip through car doors.

Well you've got 10mm and .460 Rowland now, in terms of ballistics, but I wouldn't know anything about their penetration capabilities.

Did you guys know Trijicon HD sights aren't just tritium, they also glow in the dark?

I had no idea until I turned the light off and noticed it was glowing orange instead of green. I hit it with a flashlight and woah, it glows bright!

I'm kind of an idiot.

Attached: IMG_3869.jpg (1200x800, 18K)

Glowing in the dark is what tritium does, it's the reason tritium is used on anything, did you not know this user? Did you grow up under a rock?

retard, he's talking about the orange ring

I can guarantee that unless you're a dedicated reloader, and want to handgun hunt with an autoloader, that you'll pretty much never use it.

Yeah, the outer orange ring glows in the dark too. Its part of their gimmick. IMO its one of the better sights out there. I just wish I could get a red vial front sight.

You missed the point.

I'm not the only idiot, hooray!

>red vial
Oh bro this would like kill superman or something, red tritium? That'd be rad as hell. I have some stuff with amber tritium and it's only about 1/3 as bright as green, if they were able to do red I imagine it would be impractically dim.

Let's go scientists, get on the ultra bright red tritium!

Attached: NUCLEAR.jpg (1700x1133, 56K)

>Wait I thought those were being made in Italy?
They are, but perhaps some of their equipment is imported.

say something nice about my new USP-45

Attached: IMG_0163.jpg (4032x3024, 2.12M)

I like your under-barrel grenade launcher

Also nice easteregg

Attached: 6hyhdr7f7zj21.jpg (1536x2210, 242K)

thx i like your wieners

Attached: p3p3incoffin.jpg (515x461, 75K)

Is that guy still around? The one who owns that cocklauncher?

I never saw him again after the thread where I saved that image from and that had to be 5 years ago.

Thoughts on the S&W 3913/3914?

that's many millenia into the future user, how would we know?

Attached: EDC1.jpg (1536x2048, 1.05M)

A fine choice friend.

Attached: IMG_20190513_000558629~2.jpg (3062x2368, 1.2M)

whats the optimal barrel length on a .44 for shooting bambi? and gun recommendations would be ok.

>manual safety on a striker gun
Y tho?

>he doesn't actually know how a striker works

Attached: laughing edoops.jpg (652x629, 139K)

>manual safety
personal preference
>>on a striker gun
why the fuck does that matter

Recently got to pick up the revolver my mom carried years ago when she was young and single, got it second-hand back in 1988. A classic Smith and Wesson model 19. Everything about it is so smooth and fine-tuned. Ain't she sexy?

Attached: IMG_0736.jpg (1920x1080, 434K)

>why the fuck does that matter

Because he thinks every striker-fired gun works like a Glock. It's about as dumb as thinking every revolver is double-action only.

Classy gat, user.

>red dot on Walther PPQ M2 died because I left it on for a month
Well, what am I supposed to do if I need the gun in an emergency, just fumble for the on button on the red dot? Walther, in their infinite wisdom, removes the rear irons when you take off the optic plate.
Maybe I should have just bought a Glock and customized it myself...

bump

thats why pistol optics are dumb

technoilogy dumb!!

They make sense if you still have the irons to fall back on. Just extra options at that point. I just made an impulse buy on the Walther because I wanted to be a hipster and not buy a Glock.

you're unironically seething

what optic do you have?

Vortex Venom 3MOA.

how important is slide length in appendix carry? namely g43x vs g48

Get a dot better suited to that purpose. RMRs last 28,000 hours on average, Holosuns last 100,000+ hours on 1 battery.

Or alternatively get something that has an automatic shutoff like a Fastfire 3 or Deltapoint (which has really terrible run time btw, some people say as low as 300 hours). That doesn't work very well for EDC because it's bouncing around all the time and will never shut off but for home defense where your handgun or rifle is sitting stationary most of the time it can make a huge difference.

Slide/barrel length arguably the most important aspect of appendix carry because the longer the slide is the more it digs into your dongus or thigh. But grip length is important too depending on what type of holster or belt buckle you have.
Warning: I do not appendix carry and am a moron.

Attached: 507.jpg (2000x1333, 449K)

Thoughts on the FN509 Tactical?

it gud

do what says and invest in a better red dot
RMRs/delta points are goat It is a higher price point but there is a reason for that. I would highly recommend it especially if it a self-defense gun

Yeah SOCOM is full of retards fuck the RMR xd

you're absolutely steaming from rage

.50 African Eliminator or ur a faget.

I’m pretty sure the Shield isn’t fully cocked striker though

>Red dot on home defense gun = good
>Red dot on carry gun = stupid
More bulk, draw has to be perfect to actually see the dot on presentation (it won’t), only really has a speed advantage with follow up shots over distance (a part of shooting that has a low probability of occurring in a self defense situation).

Attached: 01D0A505-9CFE-4DF5-BFF9-62EC95B78A62.gif (325x252, 891K)

t. brit that doesnt know anything about guns

If I have a 9mm 1911 and I find a different gun that also uses 9mm, can I take the rounds from that other gun and use it on my 1911?

no, you have to buy 1911-specific 9mm for 1911s. it's a weird quirk of the design.

thanks

As long as both guns are made with the same chambering/cartridge of 9mm yes. Almost always when you hear "9mm" it means 9x19 aka 9mm Luger aka 9mm NATO aka 9mm Parabellum. Those are all the exact same cartridge, it's the most common handgun caliber. That's almost always the case when you see "9mm" with no other marking or letters alongside it, and is almost certainly the case for your 1911.

But there are other "9mm" cartridges as well like 9x18 aka 9mm kurz, or 9mm Makarov, or 9mm Ultra aka 9mm Police (pic related), or 9mm Dillon, or 9mm Largo, or 9x21, and many many others. It's important to distinguish between them because attempting to use any other 9mm chambering besides the one your gun is designed for could be dangerous or even deadly.

tl;dr Broadly stated, if your 1911 is chambered in "9x19" it can use the same "9x19" as you'd use in any other gun.

Don't be an asshole, user.

Attached: pp super duper.jpg (2200x1467, 598K)

Is the FN 509 Tactical worth me buying? I just got a new job and with bigger paydays I want a new gun to LARP with but also a good carry gun too

>FN 509 Tactical
Personally I would never carry a gun that big, but as a larp gun they're hella badass.

Then I'm getting a new gun. Thanks fren

509 is comf, the mounting system is reported to be second to none, however:
>Trigger is mediocre
>Has PPQ/USPc syndrome in that it is surprisingly flippy for a 9mm

Would be better if it was blued

>these were my groups with a 9mm glock at 25 ft
>I've been shooting and dryfiring regularly for almost a year
Tell me the truth, /hg/: do I need to swallow my pride and downgrade to a .22?

Attached: 20190511_170806.jpg (4032x3024, 3.54M)

A guy is selling a CZ RAMI (safety version, not the decocker) for $600 near me. Already have an FNX45 as my fullsize. Want a 9mm and always thought the RAMI was cool. Should I do it?

disagree.

You're all over the place, it has nothing to do with the cartridge you're shooting. Practicing all the time won't do you any good if you don't know what you should be practicing.
Watch the Magpul Art of the Dynamic Handgun. You need to work on your grip and trigger pull.

>shoot your paycheck at someone

>You need to work on your grip and trigger pull.
But I've been doing that. I even mix in snap caps into the mags when I'm innarange to detect if I'm anticipating recoil.

Nickel is for pimps, blued is for working men.

If you've been trying to improve for a year and you're still all over the paper at just 25feet then you're not doing it right. You're going to just continue to build up training scars.

Nickel is superior for carry. See: rust.

I want to shoot the thing all the time. I mean all the fucking time.

Jealous
You’re mom seems cool

Why do they hate my money so much, Jow Forums? They announced this back in January with optics slides to follow, and we've got nothing. What gives?

Attached: B_53f67e3edeafc4b98a2d1af4ee56cef7.jpg (1000x667, 74K)

I have a rami, its a nice gun. I would rather have a P0-1 but the rami is sweet. A little heavy, but accurate and reliable in my experience.

Did I make a mistake? Newfriend here, went to buy my first handgun and ended up going with pic related for price and it fit my hand very well. Should I have gotten a full-frame instead?

Attached: 43x.jpg (269x187, 6K)

Nah, you're fine fren. As good a choice as any

It is if you like how it feels and shoots. It's as high quality a gun as any other polymer handgun. It'd be good for OWB or open carry but probably not great for IWB or concealed carry.

I personally don't like the grip texture and the two I tried had pretty poor triggers but I've been told that some have good triggers. Maybe it's a crapshoot or maybe they get much better when worn in. I haven't shot one to give firsthand experience.

How's your glasses prescription user? My groups get way bigger on days when my eyes are particularly bad.

Steyr has no marketing department or something, they're so shit at hype.

You can call them and ask, last time I did they said "a few months" until the L9A2, and then "a few months more" until the alternate frame sizes and then "a few months more" until the next thing and so on. So optic cuts? Probably years. lol

It's a good gun. The only thing I'd have suggested is handling or shooting a bunch of different guns before buying. If you did that, great!

>How's your glasses prescription user?
Stevie Wonder/20

Just ordered a Russian tok, thoughts?

Anyone here have practical experience with a Kimber K6s? Thinking of picking one up. My LGS has a used one comparatively cheap and it looks like it would be a great concealed carry option.

Attached: Screenshot_20190513-171351_Google.jpg (1079x835, 193K)

Meme trash but I'm sure some retard Jow Forums surpfag will offer to suck your dick

Well that'll do it. If your glasses don't work anymore you gotta get new ones.

I'm nearsighted with astigmatism, some days my eyes are okay and with glasses I can see pretty well. Some days my eyes are just blurry feces and even with glasses I'm seeing target circles as blurred footballs.

If your eyes are uncorrected it could explain your group. Not saying it's not also technique, cause we can't see you shoot.

It’s my first handgun okay, thought it’d be funny since my first long gun was a Russian surplus sks

meh. better options out there for the price. double action is smooth and profile is slim but thats about it... gets old fast and boring. then you realize there are better options out there and end up trading it or selling it while another guy does the same and so on.

....how is that funny?

Attached: goncern.png (253x199, 6K)

You haven’t named a single better option

An user posted this. Really dig it man. You mentioned it was a build? I have been considering doing a 80% 1911 and was looking for good places to get parts.

Attached: 1557596659497.jpg (3264x2448, 2.43M)

Looks like fusion firearms would be a good place to start

I love the blocky look. Can we get a parts list? Can it be done with a rail?

I'm not BOOF obviously but an 80% 1911 isn't something you can do with a drill and some files. It actually requires machining and legit fitting. Just saiyan it's not a casual thing unless you have a mill.

Sorry I'm no help.

Yes, it was a build. Fusion slide/frame/barrel.

Building a 1911 requires a good amount of know-how. Everything has to be hand fit. I did a thread about building one years ago, maybe I still have photos laying around.

You need a mill for 80% frames. It's best to just get a complete frame and slide and lap them together. Fitting the frame and slide and fitting the barrel are very time consuming. Fusion will sell you "kits" with barrels/frames/slides pre-fitted.

Attached: IMG_2824.jpg (3264x2448, 2.64M)

Hypothetically if I were to purchase one of those Chinese solvent trap kits off of ebay, how long would my dog have to live?

Attached: Alex.jpg (968x681, 43K)

anyone?

Why would there even be an issue with it? It's not a silencer, and even if it's known that people make silencers out of them, no one can prove that you don't plan to file a form 1 on it.

It's a single stack Smith third gen pistol, they're great! Do you have a specific question?

The chance of honeypot/being put on a list is pretty high. I wouldn't. In person with cash, why not, online with credit card lolcyapupper.

Remember EVERYTHING you do online is recorded.

Attached: smiffs.jpg (2000x1333, 961K)

post wheeleys

>Do you have a specific question?

Are they still suitable for carry or getting long in the tooth? I'm strongly considering a 3913NL.