Semi autos that can defeat 3a

how about it, other than the M82a1 and other .50BMG variants is there any round that can reliably punch 3A armor?

Attached: USMC-060818-M-4675V--e1495855870710-660x609.jpg (660x609, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1U0MmxRvdX4
alliantmetals.com/what-is-ar500-steel/
m4carbine.net/showthread.php?32839-Level-III-Patrol-Armor-Test
youtube.com/watch?v=VWlk1Y3bjZI
youtube.com/watch?v=PTnCNx1OTZ0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You realize 5.56 will go through a level 3a vest no problem right?

3a is dog shit

youtu.be/1U0MmxRvdX4

I have you realize that IIIA is only intended to stop handgun projectiles. NIJ LIII rifle plates and IIIA are entirely different things.

It doesn't take much to defeat IIIA soft armor. Subsonic M193 slides right through it, which is why FN's subsonic AP load for 5.7x28 is just standard 55gr M193 FMJ.

Pretty much any decent rifle round. 3A is a pistol threats.

at like 5 feet, im talking about normal range engagements. 3a plates seem to stop most semi auto rounds so im curious if there is a round that will successfully penetrate a 3a plate at say 50 yards

I believe he has confused level 3a with level 4

Lurk moar, retard.

sorry, to clarify the rifle plates, like AR500

standard specifications compliant 3a is defeated by standard 556.

3a vests can stop a .44 mag, reference the photo
I think you're correct

Attached: threat_level_page-_Ballistic_armor_levels_website.jpg (1161x585, 625K)

>3a plates seem to stop most semi auto rounds

and this is point where we abandon thread

Do you mean level III+? Because that's not the same as IIIa.

I know I was assuming 3a was the same as level 3 which are totally different. Im talking about level 3 armor plates, the AR500 stuff

a500 is a company not a specification

In that case likely 30-06 AP, to my understanding that is still legal and 30-06 Durr rifles aren't too expensive and rather accurate

III+ is not a real armor standard, its some manufacturer specific rating with no testing basis.

III+ was designed because III would sometimes (most of the time) not stop 556. III+ does stop 556, but it is not an actual standard.

I'm fully aware. I'm just trying to figure out what OP meant.

How does 7.62 real fuckin NATO have less pen than 5.56?

narrower things mooving at high speed penetrate better than wider things moving at slower, or the same, speeds.

alliantmetals.com/what-is-ar500-steel/

Larger surface area hitting the plate, the force is distributed over more material. M80 ball is nothing special. M193 is particularly fast, and can compromise some AR500 plates. M855 can destroy some lightweight composite plates thanks to its mild steel penetrator.
M80 is neither particularly high velocity, nor does it have a penetrator, so its total drill capacity is lower.

Yeah that's a shitty one, this is much better
Although it's worth noting a guy did pen level 4 plates with a tungsten core 7.62

Attached: specification.gif (706x401, 40K)

both actually

Required reading, newfags.
m4carbine.net/showthread.php?32839-Level-III-Patrol-Armor-Test

Oh cool, so steel projectiles are semi armor piercing?

Steel has a higher yield strength than copper and lead. NIJ testing standards account for this though.

Attached: yield strengths.jpg (824x407, 35K)

even non-steel 556 can penetrate standard level III plates with velocity alone.

>so then a .300wsm should have no problem punching the plate either

Yeah but then you don't get to use your grandpappys M1 for the boogaloo

>IIIa
lol

Attached: maxresdefault(2).jpg (1280x720, 86K)

>Using a chart with fake ratings

Attached: 1436149878051.jpg (598x370, 55K)

Imagine the boogaloo popping off and you got armor but you die to Jamal with his 80 dollar third hand tokarev

I think your plot may have some problems, even a mild manganese steel in non heat treated state (I.e. nothing special) will run over 100ksi for tensile strength. Heat treated they can go for 160-175 ksi. But there’s more to it than that.

>muh imaginary SMG loads will totally defeat a IIIA vest
No. Your off the shelf shitty poorfag ammo will defeat some LII vests. Not IIIA.
>b-b-but muh handloads
You can load sabots in pretty much anything to defeat kevlar. Tokarevs are for poverty stricken retards.

yield strength is not the same as tensile strength.

Attached: 1549422540123.jpg (503x518, 55K)

Nah bitch off-the-shelf PPU 7.62x25 beats IIIA panels.

Attached: 1403201376877.jpg (1067x653, 123K)

Not even 300 win mag punches reliably through level 4. 338 will but they are all bolts if im not mistaken. 50 cal it is

Also if you really ment level 3a even 9mm civil defense will go straight through, not hard to punch through 3a

You are stupid, look up MAC punching through 3a with basic bitch 7.62x25 and 9mm civil defense

I hear that this 357 Sig screwdriver bullet can defeat level 3A armor. Can anyone confirm?

Attached: 679840.jpg (880x660, 58K)

Yes I've personally been shot by this load and it penetrated my vest and I died

CBJMS 6.5

bitch and theres hella surplus romania or some shit ammo on the shelfs lately and its hot af

Thank you for your service

It mainly depends on the bullet's construction. The tests ask for specific bullet types. There are AP pistol/PDW rounds that penetrate level III armor plates (9x19mm Libra Snail, 9x19mm THV, 6.5mm CBJ...). A level IV plate is designed to withstand one impact of .30-30 M2 round (which is like WW2 AP-tech). There are level IV plates that just withstand this one impact, and there are level IV plates that can stop multiple impacts, or impacts of much higher caliber.

Just spray the entrance team down with .458 SUCKIT or something and then execute them while they're writhing around with jellied ribs and internal bleeding

Are you okay?

.338 semis are 10 grand

That 65gr bullet defeats soft bare-minimum IIIA even in lol9mm.
The extra velocity from .357 Sig will do so at more range or against tougher IIIA.

Still won't touch IIIA plates.

proofs for 9mm doubters:
youtube.com/watch?v=VWlk1Y3bjZI
youtube.com/watch?v=PTnCNx1OTZ0 (9" 9mm ~= 4.5" .357 Sig)

>third hand
Try 60th.

it stopped the bullet, i dont see your point

Yeah

that doesnt happen with any shoulder fire rifle

III+ is whatever the manufacturer claims, it is not an NIJ rating.

NIJ level III is protection against M80 ball, a lead core round. It is not protection against rounds like M59 (steel core) or M80A1 (steel/copper).

>solid copper round defeats soft armor meant to stop lead core

Sounds about right.

Wait...are you making funz of my durr, I mean deer rifle?

Attached: nigga.jpg (625x626, 33K)