Writing a book - Research

Hello Friends. I am in the process of writing a book that would be set in 1961 that would span a fictional conflict between East and West Germany. While I know a decent about about what types of weapons and equipment countries used, I really am unsure of when certain things would have come into service. My question I guess is there a source on what soldiers in 1961 would have been using on both sides? Thank you for any info, if you want more insight on what I am writing I made a thread on /lit/ the other day that can be found here:

Attached: West_German_Bundeswehr_1960.jpg (1350x1000, 673K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Indian_War
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yeah.

I am not sure if I should love or hate you yeah poster.

Here's an ongoing thread about the DDR:
There you may find some early images of the NVA and what their equipment would be (In 1961 they would be wearing the floral pattern, not the later raindrop camo that they're most famous for) You can see from your own image what the Bundeswehr was wearing at that point.
The NVA's main tanks would be T-54 & T-55, with the Bundeswehr would have M47 & M48 Pattons and M41 Walker-Bulldogs. No Leopard 1 yet, those came in the mid 1960s.
Reserve forces on both sides could still be using USSR/US weapons from WW2. Kind of basic info but there wasn't too much special; NVA had their MPi-K AK-47/AKM and the Bundeswehr had the G1 FAL and was transitioning to the H&K G3.

Attached: T-55nva01_zps5a8bfd0c.png (1024x720, 541K)

Unless you're going into more complicated pieces of equipment, Wikipedia should be fine as a starting point.

Thank you user. However I think even you are not fully correct in what the NVA were using at the time. They did not start using the MPi-K until 1964. Kind of the little stuff I am unsure on, but everything else you said was a big help. Also would the West Germans of had Uzi's at that point? I feel like tank crews might have used them.

Also I have been lurking that East German thread, thanks again fren :)

Logically, to me, the conflict would have to be near or during the Cuban Missile Crisis for both the US and USSR not to get involved in any conflict going on between the two Germany's. Which is kinda where wikipedia is lacking.

wait I take back that MPi-K comment, you were right user. I am sorry.

No problems. Like said, Wikipedia gives a pretty basic outline of what each force would have around that time. There's little that's unique to them in terms of weapons because both were using their sponsor state's arms or at least their own variants. Not sure about Uzi's being used by tankers then.
Any scenario involving a war between the two Germany's would also involve larger moves by NATO and the Warsaw Pact. Germany was each sides main point of launching an attack, or staging a, defense in Europe. It's honestly not realistic to have a scenario where it's purely the Germans fighting each other but you may able to create your own setting for that.

Attached: Checkpoint Charlie Soviet tanks facing American tanks, 1961.jpg (1600x1204, 405K)

That is why I was thinking a conflict during the Missile Crisis could be a potential point where both sides do not want to touch the situation given its potential volatility. Kind of similar to what happened between China and India during the Crisis: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Indian_War
While I realize that there was not too much political ramifications that would come from that conflict it does show that it could be a possibility. Also my idea was that if West Germany fell that NATO would have no choice but to get involved and would lead to nuclear war. I was planning on having a conversation between my main character and his CO over the phone about this exact issue actually.

One interesting aspect could be how any insurgents would react. A little early for the RAF in West Germany but there could be people harboring similar sentiments. Then of course anyone in East Germany who would want to defect to the West.
Even a war between the two separate Germany's would be complex .

This is kind of something I am trying to balance in my head. I want the book to have grit, but I also don't want it to come off as edgy. I wanted there to maybe be a section on my main character seeing a policeman shooting a civilian for complaining about something minor, or the main character coming across a CP/field hospital that was attacked by East Germans only to find some the nurses suffered worse than other before they left. I then wanted the main character to be fueled by rage to chase after the unit that had done this to find them in a field and attack them before they have a chance to get into cover, and even shooting routing soldiers, only for him to realize he had become what he had hated.

Police shooting civilians in the East could happen, especially since 1961 is when the wall was going up and they were really trying to stop defections. No telling what kind of atrocities would take place in actual fighting. By that point, the young soldiers on each side would have lived their entire lives under their respective systems so many would be loyal. Older soldiers and officers (even civilians) would have lived through Nazi Germany and so some would have a particular hatred of anything Communist- which could result in stiff resistance from insurgents (or even defections in the East) or perhaps even an attempt to rally surviving Nazis/sympathizers to create something organized. Not sure if you want to explore that.
Sorry I can't really offer too much insight. Your story idea sounds good though I'm always looking for more realistic Cold War action.

I wanted my main character to have a love interest who serves in the Bundesgrenzschutz as a nurse or just volunteered who would have a chapter on her past of how she was born just at the outbreak of the second world war and remembers how things were different from when she was younger to what things were now (1961) and how much has changed.

I think most people know of wikipedia, user

Shameless morning bump.

>t55
not in 1961 for the nva

>T55 and T54 as mainstay tanks in 1961

nope sir

What was the NVA using in 1961? T34-85's?

You end up learning to love him

Anyone?