Be me

>be me
>go to gun store
>they have a mosin nagant for about $300
>safety is hard as hell to pull back and doesn't stick on the side like it should
>everything else about the rifle seems fine
>really want a serious bolt action for SHTF in burgerland
Should I get it Jow Forums?

Attached: USSR-Rifle-Mosin-Nagant-M1891.jpg (1200x800, 320K)

mosins suck ass. They're fairly inaccurate, slow to cycle, poor choice for optics, and not as cheap as they used to be.

They were cool when they were $100 and there were cheap spam cans of 54r available. Those days are long past.

Why? Can you not obtain an AR?

>Mosin
>SHTF
They're last ditch quality rifles. They're fun to fuck around with and for the casual collector who wants "muh piece of history" but if you want a "serious" bolt gun, you may as well just look at any of the more ubiquitous modern offerings. Something common and easy to find, Ruger, Remington, Savage, Tikka in a common caliber like .30-06 or .308. Optic ready rifles with common parts, can be modified with chassis systems for magazines etc.

Not for SHTF, and probably not for $300.
Do a bit of digging on how to ID mosins. If it's prewar with a Hex receiver and a nice barrel, or maybe some smaller arsenal, perhaps Finn capture then $300 can be ok. I would expect good rifling and headspace at that price. Safety on all is them is stiff as fuck.

Ideally serial numbers should match on all of the parts, especially bolt to receiver.
42-43 Izhevsk are the most common and usually shitty due to rushed production.
Check for counter-bore (front ~1/4" of rifling cut out), it's a sign that the rifling was worn out as counter-boring was a quick fix to get them shooting ok.

If it's a good nugget, it can be worth it as a collectible and innawoods gun.
If it's shitty, just pass.
If you absolutely need a rifle for the habbening get a PSA Freedom kit on sale for ~$250 and scrounge a lower when you can. A half decent AR will run circles around even the best bolt action.

You can get a PSA AR-15 kit for $270 and a stripped lower for $50 if you really need a ~$300 budget, questionable quality rifle.

SHTF means scarcity. You'll want something that can be scavenged if you don't get raped to death first. 30-06, 270, 5.56, etc.

stupid

No

THis

>Mosins’ have safeties?

No, save up for an extra 3 days and buy an Axis if you want a cheap beater bolt action. It's a mauser derivative, it comes pre-set-up for scopes, and it comes in a number of different calibers.

Fuck, its summer already isnt it.

Attached: allahu ackbird.jpg (417x515, 16K)

mosins were cool when they were 100 dollars

but they simply arent very good guns and the prices arent worth it anymore

>serious bolt action
>mosin
Come on now

>using the safety
>on a nugget
The French got away without having a manual safety on their bolt guns for decades, as long as you aren't stupid, you don't need it.

Attached: 1557027972552.gif (200x150, 123K)

no not worthit that 7.62r is getting rarer by the day not a good SHTF gun unless you plan on holding every round you plan to fire ever

What would a fudd gun store owner do if OP was having a hard time with the controls on surp and just pulled some CLP out of his pocket and started pouring it all over the action?

You realize there's modern produced 7.62x54r right? And even then I just looked and you can find surplus for under 40 cents a round.

Why, OP would be asked to maintenance the rest of the weapons and then get a date with the owner's daughter and the keys to his Mustang... I don't think so. As far as the store owner would know, if could be an antigun idiot with a bottle of acid.

if you want a good mosin get a sako

and you can get a modern .308 bolty boi for less than $300, sometimes with a cheapo but functional scope

I'm not arguing that just that 7.62x54r isn't going to "dry up" when it's still being produced domestically in eastern europe.

Then why would you get a mosin? Literally any ruger bolty will be light years ahead in quality

if you want one, yeah. the safety's not too much of an issue on them.

be advised you could get a newer, lighter, more accurate rifle that has box mags and scope mounts for not too much more, but if you want the nugget get the nugget. I got one and I love it.

this. also, mossberg patriot series and savage rifles. those are the 3 best options for the money.

>He actually wants to use the Mosin's safety

Attached: 1505691709751.png (219x234, 54K)

>Simo Häyhä would disagree with you

Attached: http-inlinethumb54.webshots.com-46133-2542780660104181437S600x600Q85.jpg (600x583, 37K)

he shot frozen icecube soldiers who were probably unarmed even, not to mention his kill count was probably propaganda

Attached: 1556897427870.jpg (425x340, 12K)

For $300 start hitting pawn shops for used durr rifles. Better quality, easier to mount an optic to, ammo available everywhere, depending on what’s available there may be a large after market for parts.

If you just want a Mosin, then $300 isn't a bad deal. If you want an actually good rifle, then it's a bad deal. You can get a new TC Compass for $300. But Mosins are cool and a good way to get into milsurp, it's just not a very practical rifle.

Attached: IMG_20190510_175734668~2.jpg (2034x2985, 905K)

Yeah, but you're not him, and the conditions and situations are entirely different.

#1. Simo didn't have much of a choice.
#2. That is not Simo, nor is it a Mosin
#3. YOU are also not Simo.

As much of a nugget fanboy I am, don't get one.

Depending on your area, you can probably find one for around $200. If you can negotiate it down to under $175, go for it.

I miss the days you could buy a whole crate for $700-$1000, pick the best one for yourself and distribute the other ones among your friends.

for $100 more you can get a CHinese SKS, Classic firearms still has them

Good lick getting your ammo from eastern europe in SHTF

If you want a shtf gun for 300 bucks, go with a PSA ar 15
If you want a bolt action for 300, savage axis

he said he was mostly up in trees and wasn't shooting that long range obviously. It's finland there aren't many open fields

Attached: 58019533_610815975994402_585069408657866752_n.jpg (750x904, 51K)

Started yesterday....