/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

Toby Keith Edition
Old: >LOYING ABOUT MEDICAL HISTORY = GOOD
>LOYING ABOUT CRIMINAL HISTORY = THEY KNOW

>Do your own research to start, then come here for clarification.
>No vague questions, like "What job is best?"

pastebin.com/0K6MFcUZ (embed)
Guides to prepare for high-speed shit. (SEAL, Ranger etc.)

Resources:
Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

warriorcorpsman.com/
For Navy Corpsman info.

leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff.

uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

airwarriors.com/community/
>Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/prerequ/woft.shtml
US Army High school to Flight school

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
>pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga (embed)

>Should I go Navy Enlisted Nuke?
Maybe.
i.imgur.com/FZ0Q9q4.png (embed)
tl;dr: Long hard school, long work hours, with good job prospects. It's definitely not for everyone or even most people in general.

CG info
>gocoastguard.com/family-and-friends/the-helmsman/required-knowledge

ASVAB for Dummys
mega.nz/#!XuhSWQgb!ycwEyBz1J-DZx_GOsAxmSQCduAImNuzTRswqfRb-x-w

READ THIS BEFORE ASKING CLEARANCE QUESTIONS
opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF86.pdf

Attached: TobyKeith.jpg (600x337, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DWrMeBR8W-c
youtube.com/watch?v=66iV3wuWWuc
federalpay.org/military/army/ranks
scguard.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/OCS-Application-Packet.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

youtube.com/watch?v=DWrMeBR8W-c

Thinking about joining the Airforce or Coasties. In the airforce I'd like to do security forces or as a Coastie I'd like to do Maritime Enforcement.

Good idea or bad idea? I have a degree and some LEO/Corrections experience.

Security Forces = at least 3.5 years of scanning IDs at the gate and saluting officer wives. After your first term you can retrain into a better shred.
CG Maritime Enforcement is chad but also extremely competitive... however understand that pretty much every rate in the Coast Guard can become a boarding officer.

>has a degree
>wants to enlist to do secfo
wow you may be dumb enough for that to be a viable plan.
don't do that. im not familiar with much on the coastie front, but just about anything over there is better than secfo. I've never seen a sad coastie in uniform.
talk to recruiters but idk why you're enlisting with a degree, even if the degree is useless.

Because not everyone can be a Diversity Lieutenant
68W Option 40 WOO WOO WOO

>68W Option 40 WOO WOO WOO
ASVAB and PT score?

I asked this last thread.
So, I enlisted as 11x for the Army, and I go to MEPS on Friday. Thing is, I have astigmatisms in both of my eyes, and they are both +3.75 diopters. Will this bar me from joining? What are my options if I get denied? Is it waivable? Thanks, this is bugging me.

350F here ama next hour.

Obviously you didnt enlist yet. And no, i joined with +5 so you should be fine.

Sure, if you even get security forces. Remember in both those branches you dont really have a job choice. Friend tried to go sec fo and ended up as a 4A, hospital admin, now his day to do is computer help desk.

Are you sure user? Im worried sick! But fr though, this worries me. What did you enlist as? How was the process for you at MEPS?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-05-18-09-49-33-1.jpg (1440x921, 452K)

Enlisted as a 19D last year. Actually just got my eyes fixed a few months ago.

They have you go through a standard eye exam, read the chart, flash light in your eye, color blind test.

Cont

They checked what glasses prescription i needed by using the glasses i wore.

And you had no issue. What does the 3.00 diopters mean in my screenshot then? Jack shit? Thanks for the reassurance.

No clue, first time ive ever heard that as having seperate numbers. I have astigmatism in both eyes, and have never heard a seperate number for it. I wouldnt worry about it. Worst case you ask for a waiver.

>diversity lt
i see why you're enlisting. how about you let the guy speak for himself?

Little MEPS question for you all. So when I was a wee lad (17) I got in a bit of trouble on base one time. I was arrested by MP's along with some friends and lets say it was alcohol related. Didn't have any sort of civilian legal repercussions but I did have to go to some weird quasi-military tribunal where they basically just scolded me for a half hour then assigned me community service for 6 months. I also had my license suspended although I'm not sure it was reported to the DMV. They didn't confiscate it. Also at the end of the year they said the record would be sealed and expunged. Do I have to bring this up at MEPS since it wasn't technically a criminal record?

my eyes are different and i enlisted fine. as long as your eyes are correctable you're typically good to go, i've never seen an example contrary to this.
chill out. lots of people join with goofy eyes. i don't even remember them measuring that at meps, i was in the same boat as you with +3.75 in one eye.

no idea. i'd mention it to my recruiter and go from there.

Hey so yall heavily advised against going enlisted nuke, but im a chemostry student and this NUPOC thing looks really cool, i have 2 more years of school left and i fully qualify for this program. Is there by any chance a nuke officer here?

You got it.

Attached: 1555332112893.jpg (407x500, 44K)

Ok. My pops who served 30 years said not to bring it up at all. He better pay my legal bills if I end up in facing 10 years in jail for this shit.

>Get snatched up by MPs
>Wanna lie about it
I dont like it user, I feel like you're gonna fuck yourself over.

94 and 290

Can't stop, won't stop

Who’s more chad in the coast guard? GM or BM?

Would 75th RR be considered spooks? Or is it just teir 1 units?

Attached: 1551661865957.jpg (2048x1364, 286K)

When you applying to US Army Sniper college warboi

A spook is a CIA agent you fucking retard
However on rare occasions SMUs (DEVGRU, Delta, RRC) operate under the CIA for missions that the DoD can't legally complete but those missions are usually forked over to SAD SOG
At least do 5 minutes of research before asking such a stupid question

Nice one and good luck user
You're PT will probably only get higher from here as well
Do medics still go to Airborne school before RASP or are you RASP first and then Airborne/SOCM?

why would you go to jail for disclosing a crime you were already punished for? plus it's underage drinking which isn't exactly uncommon.
your dad is right saying don't bring it up, but if they ask then don't lie about that imo.
never bring up any info you're not explicitly asked for, however.
i doubt you even need to mention it since it's not a felony and you were a minor.

CIA is HUMINT authorities.

DoD is T10 and T50.

CIA cant wiretap overseas, CIA cant bomb a substation.
DoD can. Additionally DoD can do everything outside the US and say it falls under MILDEC instead of HUMINT as long as the end target is somehow connected to foreign government, military or extermist groups.

Spooks were the old SIGINT guys from the army that hid in radio sheds all day. The name has been transferred to cyber and crypto.

>military personnel do CIA missions
nice source, retard but there are MAJOR legal problems with that. if the CIA can't legally do a mission then it's probably the FBI's jurisdiction seeing as the CIA operates internationally.

>CIA cant wiretap overseas
they are explicitly able to do that and one of the few agencies who do that on the reg. If you're implying the CIA has to wiretap domestically, that is just wrong. the FBI would do domestic wiretaps.
DoD wiretaps are done under NSA.

CIA is not explicitly HUMINT, no single agency restricts themselves to a single school of intelligence. not sure why you go around making shit up.

hey guys im a clueless kid and i just finished my medical and swore in at Meps and im still not prepared to choose my MOS but one of the army counselors told me that if i choose 11X theres a 20-40 grand bonus. Is this real? or should i just go 91b like i always wanted

>130+ DLAB score and maxed asvab but I still don't have a date
I've been in the DEP for about a month this is dumb. I'm tempted to just go GenApt. How bad of an idea would that be?

From what I'm aware of, based 8 trips man, I hit Airborne after AIT, then RASP then SOCM.

And then I have to do Ranger School as well st some point, but whatever.

Sorry, BCT not AIT. Tired as shit.

it's real if it's in the paperwork. read your contract before you sign it so you don't get bamboozled.
i'd be surprised if they were handing out 40k bonuses for 11x, even 20k, but 40k is typically as high as they go without needing special approvals.
40k isnt a lot longterm, either, so if you want to gain some marketable skills to open more doors and careers then 11x isn't going to do that for you.

did you not already sign a contract? you won't get a date until you sign.
bitch to your recruiter. dlab doesn't mean shit if you're not going linguist.

I'm Air Force. They haven't given me a contract for a job yet. Linguist is what I was going for. My recruiter contacted me the other day about a job I had never heard of that wasn't on my list and asked for a yes or no on the spot, so of course I said no and now I feel like a fucking idiot. Right now he told me my best option to get any of the jobs I want is to go GenApt and fill in at basic, but while we're going through the powerpoint that briefs you on that it says right on the slide that most of those aren't going to get filled by GenApt people so I don't really know what information to trust.
I've got a friend of mine who is working for a defense contractor after coming out of the Navy and he's calling me a dumbass for fucking with the Air Force in the first place and wants me to walk next door. Just feel completely lost.

but i heard rumors that the army is just going to take away your bonus and you end up paying that bonus. Is it true?

If anyone has questions about jcac (17c/ctn) I'll try to help

well you're not getting a date until you sign a contract, so you should probably complain about the contract not being available.
i'd say sign for what you want and nothing else, though I'm not keen on the air force enlistment process so i won't talk about it. bitch to recruiter.
???
whatever financial bonus you get is yours, but it is taxed. so 40k isn't going to be 40k, taxes will be taken out of it and usually it's not a lump sum but you can try to negotiate it to be.
they can take back the bonus and force you to pay them back for what you've already received if your contract lays out requirements to receive the bonus, however typically you simply don't see any of the money until you meet the requirements. eg completing a certain school.
so let's say you were offered a bonus to be some super elite warrior, but it required you to complete super elite warrior training and you dropped out.
you wouldn't get the bonus.
this is all in your contract, they don't try to hide it, people are just retarded and don't read their paperwork.

dont 35Qs also go to jcac?

Right now (at least at my station) they're doing 20k for 4 years and 40k for 6 years

I'm looking at the Navy right now. How selective are they and what is the boot camp like? I also want a decent job that involves traveling, to places like Japan and South Korea. Any recommendations? How can I prepare myself?

Attached: The Draft .jpg (1270x707, 201K)

?

Dunno what youre getting at, but next year i plan to switch to reserves or ng as a 19A. I will finish my degree this fall using TA. Already got blc done, so i can hit cpl before i get out. It would be cool to do sniper school but i doubt i can get a slot before i get out of AD.

>91b
For fucks sake do not do this. If youre gonna join the military to earn skills, at least choose something you cant learn at a community college in 2 semesters.

Go 15T if you want to be a mechanic. You can at least get paid minimum 60k a year if youre a dumbass who doesnt know how to look for jobs that pay 90k.

Im a hippie but im interested in joining the ranger battalion. Would they okay with a fresh private tripping om LSD every once in a while?

Attached: Screenshot_20190518-173100_Google.jpg (1080x1373, 1012K)

Looking to join the air force as a pilot. Vision is not perfect. I wear glasses but the guy at recruiting said I still have a chance to join if I can correct my vision. I am hopeful it will get decent with glasses but he also said that surgery can still give me a chance. What is the exact name of the surgery required for vision correction and how much does it cost? I need to save up money for the worst case.

don't ask don't tell

>heavy post inbound
I'm 23 and will be 24 by the end of Summer.
I'm trying to get into shape as much as I can because I want to join (always have - ARMY). My parents are kind of alcoholic dipshits and they don't want me around anymore. I'm one year away (maybe 1.5) from finishing college with a bachelors but I fucking hate my college and I'm scared that if I wait any longer I won't have a chance at the military while I'm young. I might even have to stay another year in my retarded dorm room with a new roommate. And I have to find a new job this Summer to boot.

I'm just fucking tired of all this monotonous, repetitive bullshit fighting idiots for minimum wage jobs run by even bigger idiots. I need more out of life, now. Please, can someone give me some kind of direction? I feel broken, lost, and alone.
>no homo
>ask me what i know and want

Attached: 8e4c4feeeffa2c1ddd7f65c34b31fd23b401d43bf62b1d2ee890e071292c12d7.gif (221x196, 410K)

idk how they impact going for pilot but lasik and prk are the two eye corrective surgeries.
they're not very expensive even if you pay entirely out of pocket. a few thousand last I checked.
you can find the requirements to be a USAF pilot online so should probably do your research before getting your eyes fixed.

unless you're a massive sack of lard it shouldn't take more than a few months to get into shape to ship off to basic.
figure out what you want to do while you're in and think about what you may want to do if you get out.
dont ask us to tell you what to do, use google to figure out the basics and go from there.

Serious question but do you feel like you're missing out on some of the best years of your life if you enlist at 18?

Finish university and get in shape while you do it.

Then join up. Now is the time to start your OCS packet so it's ready to go once you're fit.

Taking USMC/Officer questions for the next hour or so.

Attached: 30088787-EF94-4F9E-891E-8135299F6A81.jpg (640x635, 425K)

When you first joined the military, what's something you wish you'd done or hadn't done, especially in regards to money and savings?

Current EMT with some prior service. Was in once before but got out before a full term but with an honorable. Looking to go with 68W. How shitty is this gonna be? Not disillusioned about the """glory""" of the military but I enjoyed it more than the civilian world.

Do I stand a chance?

I'm thinking of trying to become an officer in the reserves. Anyone recommend any jobs that are /comfy/, but won't get me deployed constantly?

I know quite a few pilots with glasses, as long as its correctable to 20/20 they dont care, but it means you wont get fighters/attackers though

I didn’t sign up for TSP right away. Should have, but it didn’t hurt to bad in the long term.

How fierce is the competition to be an Air Force pilot? Do they only take the absolute cream of the crop? How has the pilot shortage affected recruitment? What makes someone a stronger candidate besides good grades, a STEM major, and a private pilot's licence?

youtube.com/watch?v=66iV3wuWWuc
What makes you think I'll be an officer by the time I join if I have my bachelors?
I know that if I join now I have enough credits along with my associates to join as at least an E-2 or E-3. That's a rank or two that I should be able to make by the time I graduate from basic and mos-t, am I wrong? And that would be over just about the same span of time it would take for me to sit through another godforsaken year of college debt in the hill-slums of Kentucky. I'd rather finish this dumb ass year of mine with a GI-Bill on my belt to pay off some of what I owe and then finish what little rest I have.
>federalpay.org/military/army/ranks
>scguard.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/OCS-Application-Packet.pdf
I'm not trying to be a horse's ass here, but this my thinking so far, and I'd love to know if it's as crazy as it sounds.
If this plan of mine doesn't sound as stupid as I think it does, I'd love to know how a few E's and A's on a transcript with about ~90 credit hours would look to the review board.

Attached: 1557699383522.gif (167x167, 801K)

I personally know a guy who is currently an Air Force fighter pilot who got lasik

>pilot shortage

Oh boy...I got news for you

Pay into the gi bill kicker

Most important things when joining:

1. Be fit
2. Have a degree
3. Stfu

In order of importance

You don’t get the surgery until you’re accepting to OTS/flight school.

Getting it before will disqualify you. The name of the surgery is PRK. It costs between $3K and $5K

Aka an Air Force officer recruiter about it.

>you're not getting a date until you sign a contract
The Air Force doesn't do it that way. You "book a job" at some point: your recruiter calls you saying "you booked this job/open aptitude, and you ship out on this date", then you go sign the job contract like 2 weeks later.
If you say "no" to your recruiter's job offers too many times (for many recruiters, too many times = once) then you will be discharged from DEP and have to find another USAF recruiter, who will probably have the same boss as your last recruiter and know that you are "job-locked" and generally not worth their time.
My first question is why your recruiter wouldn't give you a linguist slot with a 130+ DLAB... the Air Force has a notoriously hard time filling those slots, and if you score >110 on the DLAB they may ONLY let you put Airborne and/or Ground Linguist on your dream sheet. Source: this is exactly what happened to me.
What job did they offer you, anyway? And why did they sponsor you to take the DLAB if you they weren't planning on putting you in a Linguist slot?
Btw, you are correct about open contracts/BMT job selection. There are some jobs now that are ONLY filled via select contracts before BMT. So if you go in on an open aptitude, there are certain jobs that fall under that aptitude area that will not be on the job sheet they give you at BMT. This includes pretty much every aircrew AFSC, both linguist AFSCs and then stuff like Pararescue, EOD, CCT, etc. If you go in on Open General then say bye bye to Linguist.
I would definitely talk to your recruiter, and then the flight chief of your recruiting command. Don't be a dick, just mention that you are confused because you thought Big Air Force had a hard time filling Linguist slots.

15T master race checking in. Best enlisted MOS

STEM major is unnecessary. Just maximize your GPA.

Physical fitness test scores are huge. The Air Force PT test can be maxed out by anyone in good health who trains hard enough. Starting running and doing push-ups.

Does it help at all? I was going to do it anyway, because I like it and I'm good at it.

I lead a lifestyle which involves at least 2 hours a day of biking and 6 days a week of lifting, so I'm not out of shape. Is there anything that still might catch me by surprise.

>Just maximize your GPA.
Bullshit. Why? Do your grades in high-school and college really translate to any kind of candidate's potential over things like leadership, character, commitment, and physical/mental aptitude?
Good grades can be obtained by anyone with nothing better to do most nights. You can sift through the worker bees for that select few who just naturally "get it" all you want. Anyone in such an established system should be the best of the best if they're learning from the best of the best.

More people here are worried about qualifying or these opportunities than just shortcutting their ways into their longterm dreams and career goals. Don't be so fucking pessimistic.

Attached: does he look like a bitch.gif (480x204, 2.08M)

Also in case your friend is forgetting how the Navy does job selection... you go to the Navy liaison after getting qualified at MEPS, then they give you a list of like 7 jobs that have open slots. To give you an idea, my friend, who had no medical DQ's and who scored 90-something on the ASVAB, had Culinary Specialist and Master-at-Arms on his list along with some aviation maintenance jobs.
If the job you want isn't on that list, then you have to say "no thanks" and then deal with a pissed-off call from your recruiter. You then have to wait weeks, maybe months, for another list to drop and get passed onto you. Your job may not be on that list, either. Eventually they are going to get fed up and tell you to fuck off.
Your friend is technically correct... the Air Force is horrendously asshole-ish about their job selection process, but linguist is one of those rare exceptions. As far as I can tell, if you qualify for linguist then most recruiting commands will suck you off to get you to take that job. What you are experiencing is very weird and warrants investigation.

Basic was the best part of my life

this is a very sad post

You will understand as you get older.
You'll never have friends like those at Basic.

?
i hope this is bait. i've done my enlistment.

If you were a shitpump I guess you wouldn't feel that connection.

350F here.

TSP. Didnt pay into it until 5 years in when I finally knew about all the benefits available to me.

Also, not asking for a second opinion at medical to be able to get referred to civilian doctors. I highly recommend asking for outside refferal or whatever its called now, to avoid having to see a military doctor from the get go. They try and threaten you that you have to pay out of pocket, but tricare covers all costs. I will add, that the rules might have changed since they switched tricare under humana (which is the worst civilian insurance according to my RN wife).

I enlisted at 23 and regret not going in earlier. Not 18, but maybe 19. A few semesters of college to qualify for advanced enlistment at least.
I went to college, had great friends, was in a band, eventually got a decent job that paid a good amount... but 95% of the time I was just sitting around wishing I was doing something different. Almost all of your friends from high school will become douchebags or fuck-ups, and you will probably lose touch with the people you meet in college once you all get jobs and go your separate ways. Out of a couple dozen people that I knew, maybe 4 of us actually stuck around after finishing our bachelor's while everyone else moved back with their parents far away, went to grad school in another state, or only got job offers in the midwest.
Don't get me wrong, there are great memories in there, but they were spaced out with large amounts of boredom and generally feeling unfulfilled. I really thought that it would all feel worth it once I got hired and started working full-time, but it very much didn't. 18-25 is an exciting time if you're into playing Cards Against Humanity at Hailey and Bradley's apartment and drinking IPAs while discussing the latest Game Of Thrones episode, but if that isn't you then it can be really mundane unless you have a kickass job.

ha i knew a guy who did the opposite, he forgot he wrote down to put 50% of his paycheck into it when he was in bootcamp.
then he got married later on and was struggling to pay bills. when he went to the navy marine corps relief society and they went through his LES they brought up his unusually high TSP contributions and he felt like he got promoted all over again and his wife was mad that all that money was missed lol.

yo someone post an invite to the discord

So I'm considering the welfare queen life since my bio degree is basically good for flipping burgers. What is the best branch and rate for career enlisted that will not require a clearance?

I'll give it to you but you have to answer a question first

Finish your degree first and talk to a crediting about going to OCS following your graduation. I know plenty of folks that enlist in the reserves to help pay for college, but I know plenty that never being able to finish due to reserve obligations.

If your priority is to be a soldier, go ahead and enlist. If your priority is to be an officer, finish your degree first.

Yeah, that's pretty much what my recruiter said, and then he said what you said with a shit eating grin.

The pilot shortage is a ruse that was used post-Vietnam to get my dad to commission l0l

Your life is mine, except I'm 26 and going in with a high speed Army enlistment.

Wish I'd ignored my parents and skipped college altogether. The civilian workforce is shit.

>I'm just fucking tired of all this monotonous, repetitive bullshit fighting idiots for minimum wage jobs run by even bigger idiots.

So you joined the Army huh :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Attached: BA0B254C-8F04-4CA9-8B9E-431263FD133A.png (1200x992, 144K)

Being an officer is always better, but sub life still sucks

Coming up to finishing a CS degree and fuck working for some corporate overlord as a code monkey.

Any Australian branches that have something for me? Less keen on being a meat shield but I'm totally okay not just being at a desk all day.

Fucking hell, how do people fall for the garbage degree memes? Just commission if you're not completely worthless.

Attached: 1527077388224.gif (346x261, 1.49M)

>that will not require a clearance
Explain why this is one of your requirements, pretty much every job requires Secret and every job worth doing requires Top Secret

Can anyone tell me about glasses and sere specialist? I'm blind as a bat but grew up hiking and bush crafting so I know I'd be good for it and actually enjoy it.

he'll figure it out.
i joined the marines and got tired of the monotonous repetitive bullshit. at least now i can work less shitty hours and do more exciting things on my own.

they're ignorant and think it will be fun and somehow redeeming due to the shitty lifestyle giving you some stories to share later on.
they don't factor in the possibility of family life or longterm goals being greatly affected by being a cog in the machine that is very expendable.

I was going to go army, but have been hearing how it's filled with rap blasting insufferable baboons. I can't stand blacks, so I'm reconsidering the USMC. How many nogs are in the Marines compared army? I know it's full of spics, but that'll just help me fit in.