Why the fuck can't I sharpen this knife?

Posting this out of pure fucking rage right now. This fucking knife will absolutely not get sharp. I can sharpen all of my other knives just fine, to the point that I can shave my arm with them. But THIS FUCKER will not get sharp no matter what I do with it. What the hell am I doing wrong? Is it even a possibility that its a garbage knife or am I just retarded? Asking partially because some of you seem to have some clue about shit like this and partially because Im angry enough that I want to bury the fucking thing somewhere and forget it ever existed.

Attached: 20190518_184920.jpg (4032x3024, 3.31M)

sharpen one side until you get a burr, sharpen the other side until apex is symmetrical, repeat at finer grit, strop until burr is gone.

yeah

Have you tried an angle grinder?

maybe the steels too hard for you to sharpen like a normal knife.
in which case its just going to take longer.
if its really shit you should still be able to sharpen it it just wont hold the edge.

Well it's a buck and bear damascus knife. Apparently carbon steel. The only issue is that the stone is still removing material from the blade but it's doing fuck all to make it sharper.

take it to a knife sharpening service, let it be someone else's headache and maybe consider buying better knives in the future.

You are sharpening at the correct angle right?

if its carbon steel, a whetstone should work fine. if you truly are doing everything normally prescribed, then the metal is something different. if thats the case, the whetstone is too soft to do anything, itd be like trying to sharpen quartz with your finger nails.

youre gonna need a harder sharpening thingy.

is that stone
course and medium?
medium and fine?
it is hard to get a knife razor sharp on that type of stone.
it you send me the knife, i will get it sharp for you.

That's a fancy fucking looking thing with a bunch of mixed steel. I don't recognize the makers mark but it looks like you commissioned it because of the handle. Did you ask them to sharpen it before you got it? Try to cut a piece of paper with it. If it doesn't work, it looks like they already profiled it. If you already tried a high grit stone it's mixed materials, basically just treat it like a run of the mill stainless steel thing. Get a disposable rag, whatever lube you use to coat it, and take a bastard file to it and try to do it evenly enough to not fuck up the profile. Don't worry about how much sediment or lube you're taking off if you keep the angle correct. Then worry about using stones, and get ready to sharpen it a ton of fuckin times with stones if you ever do anything more than open letters with it, if you open a single box made out of cardboard or something, just get the file, rag, and lube out again. Welcome to the wonderful world of knife ownership.

>take a bastard file to it
Oh my
you are an idiot
he is not sharpening an axe.
its just a fucking knife.
hard steel or not a bastard file is overkill.

It's about the angle you want on the blade and what you're doing with it. You put a thicker degree angle if you want a slash things like an axe. This is a fancy looking knife with multiple steels, it's obviously a fancy letter opener, you go with a smaller angle (bastard file, because just sharpening it should take probably a half hour just using stones) basically he likely wants it to be sharp enough to fillet a guppy someone caught out of a lake. Even if he just uses it for envelopes he's going to be sharpening it with a stone for half an hour after every ten of them most likely. If you want a fine edge you have to do this shit all the time. It gets really obvious how much when you start to use it. This is why box cutters are popular with break off disposable blades. I mean just look at the handle, that's not anywhere near fancy enough you need to give a shit about using it seriously for anything stabby like. Not a combat weapon. You don't have to concern yourself about sharpening it as much against hurting a person you can hand it to someone and they'll do it themselves accidentally no matter how fucking blunt you feel like it is. Still kinda fancy looking steel if you want it to work like an exacto knife or something you're going to stone it a lot. Probably after every other use because you're going to think to yourself "THIS IS BULLSHIT" when you're trying to cut something after it was just working perfectly fine and it works perfectly fine again after you stone it. Why would you bother with a stone if it struggles with paper? You have to test it a tiny bit then decide what magnitude to grind shit off at. Quit acting like a bastard file is a bench grinder. He could spend an hour with a bastard file even if that is perfectly sharp and it wouldn't shape the blade at all if he tries to do it evenly.

I don't want to rant here but it's just a sharp metal stick, you can sharpen a piece of wood too like that. That kind of knife, even if you take off the thing, have it re-ground, use it a lot chip the thing, have it reground and you lose like an inch or more off it, it doesn't matter. It's just suppose to be sharp once in a while when you're not obsessively stoning it. Removing material doesn't impact it's function or existence for that type of blade.

Attached: eventhemonalisaisfallingapart.jpg (1168x480, 23K)

Damascus doesn't take an edge very well, OP. It looks pretty, is all.

get a cheap 30$ angle grinder and correct the edge. Once the edge is perfect the resharpening is as fast as freehand

Attached: 1555793689902.jpg (2937x2971, 1.41M)

Cheap Damascus won't take, or hold an edge. A properly made Damascus blade, made from a quality high carbon steel, is another story altogether.

bump

you deserve those quads

friendo, for what ?

Based and angle-pilled
also check'd

When a piece of steel gives me a boner

Attached: 1557961346210-0.png (1920x1080, 1.49M)

>damascus knife
So a meme knife.
>Apparently carbon steel
That's also just regular steel.
Good job, retard. Sharpen it like normal. You're either fucking it up or whatever you're sharpening with is shit.

You are sharpening with a dollar store stone. What do you expect?

You were not meant to cut with it; use it as a club of sorts.