USS-stark vs a commercial jet

The Falcon took off from the airbase of Shaibah at 20:00 and headed south into the Persian Gulf also along the coast. When it came within view just before 22:00, the attacker was off Stark's port side beam.
Initially not alarmed, at 22:09 Captain Glenn R. Brindel ordered a radioman to send the message: "Unknown aircraft, this is U.S. Navy warship on your 078 (degrees) for twelve miles. Request you identify yourself." The Iraqi Falcon pilot did not respond to the message. The ship's captain ordered a second message sent, to which there was no reply. At 22:10 hrs Captain Brindel was informed the Iraqi aircraft had targeted his ship, locking his Cyrano-IV fire-control radar onto Stark. The Falcon 50 then fired the first Exocet missile 22 miles (35 km) from the ship, and the second Exocet from 15 miles (24 km). The pilot then banked left and began to withdraw.

Stark's search radar and ESM systems failed to detect the incoming missiles. The first Exocet missile struck the port side of the ship near the bridge. Although it failed to detonate, rocket fuel ignited and caused a large fire that quickly spread throughout the ship's post office, storeroom, and the critical combat operations center (where the ship's weapons are controlled).

The second Exocet also struck the port side. This missile detonated, leaving a 10 by 15 ft (3.0 by 4.6 m) hole in the frigate's left side.

Explain yourself burgers
Are anti missile on ship a meme?

Attached: Stark.jpg (220x146, 8K)

Those were Silkworms camouflaged as Exocets. They were deemed far ahead of their time. It is not good to generalize when the odds are strongly in the favor of superior Chinese missiles. Keep in mind that Exocets are NATO arms and they should've been stopped by American ECM but they were not. This means they are not Exocets but something better.

>fire two premier anti ship missile at a frigate
>one fails to set
>the other fails to kill
>can't even sink a mere frigate
Explain yourself frogs.

>ship attacked by Iraq
>blame Iran because Iraq is good and peaceful
Brought to you by the people who refuse to talk about the USS Liberty.

Amazingly impressive tech amerifats, didn't even pick up anything on radar

hilarious.

>1987
Damn this takes me back. I graduated the year before.

Btw, user, can you explain to us why you put the word "vs commercial jet" in your clickbait-like subject line?

The missiles were fired from a business jet similar to a Learjet.

No they were fired by a mirage 1

You two are retarded. You literally weren't even born when this happened. Kek. I want to find you and kill you.

>taking this obvious of bait
i hate zoomers so goddamn much.

Post your guns or don't @ me faggot

No. That's what US intel initially assumed, and maybe what the news reported at the time, but it turned out to be wrong.

American post quantum radar technology was deemed too far ahead of its time. It just wasnt made for the job to pick up sub quantum hyperbolic missiles.

It was this bad boy

Attached: Dassault.falcon.jpg (1024x666, 51K)

I'm old enough to remember it, ZOGcuck.

>s duct
Well, no wonder it got through.

kek'd
USN can be defeated by slow-ass tankers.
USN is the most pathetic navy on the sea right now. They have tons of equipment but shit sailors.

Attached: 1535937176168.jpg (662x640, 87K)

chink missiles are trash retard.

stop shilling and kys

Those sailors probably didn't even know how the use the radar.

Attached: 1536236095700.jpg (1016x1090, 389K)

Equipment is fucked and the sailors a only bad because they are treated like cum rags and forced to do the work of 3 men. Who'd of thought wartime deployment scheduling for 18 years fucks regular maintenance.

>When you spend billions of $ developing a state of the art missile defense system to protect your ships against missiles travelling at mach 3 and container ships aren't missiles travelling at nearly mock 3
I'm not saying the US navy is good; I'm just saying this argument is retarded.

>Explain yourself burgers

The only thing that needs to be explained is that if you fuck with America, you will get what you deserve.

Attached: Chinese-made Type 59.jpg (1600x1070, 1.04M)

>Explain yourself burgers
come on guys the child wants an answer

good "no u" post.

this.

I am indeed waiting for a rational explanation as to why a modern warship aware of being targeted by an anknown aircraft in a war theatre, is not capable of detecting two missile launch toward it at short distance.

Executive/business jets =/= commercial jets.

>incident occuring in 1987
>somehow the tech level of 32 years ago is comparable to today

Attached: E8146C04-4C8F-4173-A974-057651931A6E.jpg (290x395, 13K)

Says who?

>hahaha stupid amerifats cannot detect missile :^D

4 years later

Attached: Desert Storm.jpg (2000x1326, 593K)

19 years later

Attached: saddam.jpg (1280x720, 90K)

30 years later

Attached: failed states.png (995x424, 34K)

Attached: b277ab6df9731a44e84035a8947fd074.jpg (720x470, 75K)

18 years later

Attached: 9aa7b12c5aed56da487be83fa297ccc4.jpg (600x400, 57K)

Stark had no ECM to take on the French birds. TAO and CIC were asleep at the wheel.
SLQ-33 to the rescue.

Iirc, they detected the plane and the missiles, but they couldn’t reliably paint the missiles or get a lock. Reason: the IFF transponders on the missiles were telling the targeting software on the Stark that they (the missiles) were friendly, and to be ignored.

All of this hardware and software was still postured toward a big slugfest with the USSR. France wasn’t a member of NATO, but allied. The expectation was, Exocets and Harpoons were going to be flying around in the same area, at the same targets, because the Soviets were vested in making REFORGER as expensive as possible. We didn’t want to frat French missiles, so our systems were taught to ignore them.

Don't blame us because we knocked 'em down so hard they can't get back up.

I believe these are often referred to as "Shitholes".

I'm not, just pointing out that if you want to to do stupid shit like shoot missiles at the USN, you are more than likely to catch a couple back.

Stupid games, stupid prizes.

Air launched Silkworms, my ass.

Don’t fuck with our boats

You are wrong and you are an idiot.

Why did the Iranians make the Iraqis attack a US ship?

Attached: Iran is the villain.png (682x939, 312K)