Law enforcement of Jow Forums, I present you a situation...

Law enforcement of Jow Forums, I present you a situation. A white man in his mid-twenties with no priors stops his car in the middle of the road, then gets out and pulls his gun on the car behind him and starts shouting at them. The people in the car behind him have done nothing wrong. He doesnt shoot anyone and hes cooperative when cops show up and take him in.

What happens to this man? When asked why he did it he claims to being stalked by someone and that a car exactly like theirs had been following him when he drove for the past couple days.

Attached: rogue_trader_deigns_to_use_a_sidearm.png (1920x1080, 3.06M)

3 day psych hold

Arrest for brandishing a firearm, maybe assault and unlawful detainment. Psych eval.

Investigate the claim for a week or so, if nothing comes up bring him to a psych ward as it's possible he's showing early signs of some serious mental illness. Persue the stalker if his claims are true and get a restraining order signed if the stalker can other be told off

Any details on what that would entail? Writing a story and I want to make sure I get it right.

How long would the arrest last? Until he passes a psych eval? Would he get the gun back?

Not him but I think hold until evaluation is complete. If passed return after a month just in case another event like this occurrs

Hold in a county cell or a padded cell? Or just whatevers available?

first post in this thread but

>padded cell

you watch too many movies

In most places pulling a gun on someone is automatically assault with a deadly weapon.

Didnt mean a literal padded cell, but one inside a psych ward of some kind. Ill take your answer to mean a holding cell though.

Also, was kinda asking what the 3 day psych hold would entail. Neither myself or anyone in my family has had a run in with the police more serious than a speeding ticket so I have no one to ask.

>How long would the arrest last?
Until he's convicted of the felonies he committed, or locked in a loony bin.

A psych hold means you get dumped at a mental hospital for a few days, where they watch you and talk to you to see if you're completely unhinged or not.

Good to know, could be what I end up going with.

Would it change much if, instead of brandishing the gun, he merely had it on his person? Say he had a CCL and it was in an IWB holster.

alright, idk if padded cells are REALLY a common thing outside of movies and books etc, I had to once call the cops on a suicidal friend (nothing else i could do and i didn't want him to die)
I can't speak for everyone but since he was a young adult he got put in a mental hospital where they take your shoes away and anything else you can hurt yourself with until you earn the trust to have them back etc

Ive decided, going with this one. Thanks user, and thanks to everyone else who commented as well.

Attached: 1495332446988.jpg (1024x768, 224K)

Let me guess, writer?

Because he committed a crime, if the police wish to pursue charges he's either going to court, then prison, or if a psych eval shows anything court then a mental institution, in which case he would likely be ordered by the courts to be committed to a long-term mental facility for 6 months plus, or until "treatment" is complete (real treatments for mental illness never require longer than a month for the patient to reach stability, usually 2 weeks and they're good to continue treatment outpatient). Three day holds are for suicidal people.

In every psych ward they have at least one room with padded floors and a camera trained on a single bed where the "patient" is tied down with straps, or if he's lucky he merely wears "ambulatory restraints" which are straps that tie your wrists to your hips. There is a nurse posted outside the door 24/7. They eat meals and use the bathroom inside the cell, and are only let out for showers, with a security guard. This is only for people who attack staff, act belligerent, or are considered dangerous.
Everyone else is two to a room with thin beds, a camera, a table that's attached to the wall, and chairs that are too heavy and blunt to be a weapon(in theory at least). I saw one guy in a rage chuck one down a hallway at incredible speed, but that's another story.

Why have mentally unstable people two to a room? That seems like asking for trouble.

thanks i didn't know they were common

i assume its due to funding, building size, too many people etc to give everyone their own room

It absolutely is, it's based on some idiot notion that people in a mental crisis need to socialize to heal. It's one of the worst parts of a mental hospital, you can hardly get alone time anywhere. You're always wondering who's going to snap next or who's going to wander into your room at night and wake you in your sleep next - the doors don't lock and are, by rule, kept cracked open. Or who, during daytime "socialization" is going to describe their hallucinations to you in gory detail, as if they're trying to give you their nightmares. This all ensures you can never sleep right, all while the doctors are telling you the most important thing you need to do besides take meds is get good sleep.

What did you do now, OP?

Tell us about your ex's new bf, OP.