NC Hog Hunting Thread

So now that Turkey season is over and hunting wise, things are pretty ho-hum until September, have any anons been hog hunting in NC? If so, where does one go in North Carolina?

Also post loadouts and greentext. I'm alternating between taking my Ak74, nugget, or krag, not sure which would be best. Other US and international hog-hunting can weigh in too.

Attached: 096_zps034fdb80.jpg (480x480, 213K)

Krags seem like they're nice rifles, I have yet to handle one, though. 5.45 wouldn't be my choice for brush, but I like the big guns anyways.
Recently my go-to is my Heym 35, .30-06 , .22 Savage and 20ga. Shot one this morning actually, after deer hunting wasn't successful.
Not a big boar by a great margain, but one of the most interesting ones I have ever shot. Spotted it early in the morning and stalked after it.
Long story, but it ended in me shooting it at ~10yds in thick brush with the .30-06. Goes to show that still hunting works wonderfully on rainy days.

Attached: Heym 35 neu.png (1080x1620, 942K)

It sucks but you can't hunt pigs or coyote on public land unless something else is in season, and then you have to use a firearm/bow/muzzleloader legal for that season. Like you can take some slugs with you during turkey season. Trust me I've pissed the warden off pretty good. Private land is your best bet, but good luck getting permission.

Attached: xKgK5cM.jpg (1500x1379, 330K)

Please, for the love of God, remove any hogs living off your deer feeders. Those fucking things are absolute murder on natural waterways and aquatic life.

The Krag I have seems pretty good, even if it's sporterized. My only complaint so far is the ammo cost, which is at best $1.25-$2 a round without reloading.

I thought brush might be a problem with the 5.45, but I know that many people use intermediate caliber semi-autos for hog hunting. It may depend on where I go to hunt I guess.

I saw that in a couple of older archived forum posts from 10 years ago, but I haven't been able to find it in the regulations. Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a source? I feel like the regs may have changed in the last few years. Because of "crisis" it's become.

It’s there. Look under nongame. Trust me I was bummed.

What part of NC are you fags from? As any good North Carolinian, I will judge you based on what part of this State you are from.

Texas hunter here. Remove oink whenever possible. Once saw a hog kill a baby calf for literally no reason and it removed all sympathy I had for feral pigs with it. Always remember 7.62/.308 minimum for hog hunts and don’t forget to double tap. Those ugly niggers plug holes up really fast, and don’t leave a lot of blood trails

Attached: 7082D3F9-27B0-42A2-B826-E8EE6EBEF80A.jpg (598x594, 164K)

Downeast buh

Bump for interest

I'm moving to Newport news VA in a few weeks and I'd love to do some NC hog hunting

>downeast
Goddamn they've made that to where it almost doesnt mean anything anymore. Theres already two regions in NC that go by "downeast" and the icing on that cake would be the downeast woodducks...based out of kinston...big think.

OP here, used to live in Alamance now I'm near Raleigh/Durham/Granville. So central/eastish? Judge as you must.

No sympathy for hogs here from sure. Why would you say .308 is the minimum? Just curious. There isn't a mag limit for open season animals in NC, so I thought a standard Ak74 with a 30 Rd mag would be fine.

Just south of Boone at the base of the mountains. I promise i don't smoke meth

I doubt there's many hogs in the northeastern section of nc compared to the rest of nc

Have you ever seen a boar IRL? I've watched a 350 pounder take 3x 308s to the vitals and it still kept running for about 100 yards until it died. All 3 bullets were through and through, one heart, one double lung, and one single lung and artery. A 5.45 would be ok for smaller ones (I go for the brain with my 6.8 SPC and do just fine) but for big ones you want a bolt gun in a caliber that starts with 3.

>where does one go in North Carolina?
along the rivers and swamps out in the farmland areas. the lumber river is long as fuck and drains into the Pee Dee River. there are shitloads of hogs down there, especially by the turkey farms and the grain silos.

sampson county had some freakish mutant hog, that was as big as life and twice as ugly.
bladen county and new hannover had some nasty big fuckers in 2015
moore county hick.
they love the swamps and areas where they can rip shit up that are full of fucking moron damnyankees that feed the fucking things from their cars on the side of the road.

there's a reason the wild horses out on the banks got all kinds of diseases and shit, it spread from the hogs.

i use a 710 in .30-06 when im hunting snogs. clean hit to the vitals drops em right in their tracks. i live in california and those fuckers wreck agriculture like no other out here, pretty sure i have family friends with depredation permits now i should check in on that

I'd like to drive down to NC or somewhere to hunt hogs. Easy to get permission from land owners?

not anymore. those cocksuckers are taking the bailouts on destroyed crops and then charging to clear the hogs.

Fuck. Always a bit late to the party.

GODDAMNIT I WANT TO HUNT HOGS WITH A GUCCI AR AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I HATE NOT LIVING IN THE US

I cant hunt shit with my AR on this fucking cucked country

Attached: 1553566786927.jpg (318x313, 11K)

In my experience boars are to be shot differently than deer.
Whereas in deer hunting, you want to hit behind the shoulder to damage as little meat as possible, you are taking an unnecessary risk when allowing a boar to run off.
I found that 180gr. .30-06 with a bonded bullet provides both sufficient penetration, shock and expansion when shooting through both shoulders and even on not-so-perfect shots.
My go-to point of aim is right up the front leg in the lower third, otherwise right behind the ear is a good spot for an instant kill.

I use a 20ga usually or my .270.

Carteret country bred and Core Sound fed

>Lenoir
>not a pillhead

Atleast you have an AR, nigger

It's easy to make that assumption. Everyone and their brother are strung out on those things around here
You from the area?

I live an hour away from Boone in east tennessee. Around here you can't really hunt hogs unless it's some stupid specific circumstances on private land, or incidental to big game hunting. What's it like there?

Johnson city?
Ive been dying to find a place to do some hog hunting. I hear of a few places im SC. No specifics though, i haven't looked into it.
It's cheap to live here, beautiful country but the dead furniture industry makes it a ghost town stuck in the 70s. Google moved in here though, so there is still some decent opportunity popping up.

Remove Hog

Attached: Boar4b.jpg (1200x1600, 242K)

Yep, base of the mountains on I40

>Johnson City?
Thereabouts.
I have family in SC and hog hunting is really huge down there. Mostly because the hog problem is really huge too. I've got an M1 carbine that ought to be ideal for popping squealers, so I'm really hoping I get the chance to some time.

>Read nog hunting thread at first

Where is this? In va hogs are pest animals unlimited season on them

I got a 300 chimpout. Any recommendations for bullet weight when hog hunting?

I'd use something like a 165gr. ballistic tip. Again, I'm a proponent of velocity over weight (to a certain extent).
It'll also give you the advantage of a flatter trajectory and less lead when shooting a runner.

I put together an AR15 in 458 SOCOM for hogs.
Using an eotech and 3x magnifier, keeping the range to

Attached: 21471532v0_480x480_Front.jpg (480x480, 95K)

I did something similar
458 Socom topped with a 2-7x Nikon Prostaff Slughunter loaded with 300Gr Nosler Silver tips or an array of cast boolits 255Gr up to 500gr.
It’s basically a lightweight, compact 10shot semiauto sluggun

Ayy fellow Moore county faggot here

Morganton user?

Ty my man