"In Service" is a bit of a stretch

Is this thing even armed?

Attached: SmartSelectImage_2019-05-20-01-00-20.png (1436x1742, 669K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HPekmA9tcvg
youtube.com/watch?v=BWipIji35Cg
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Gun_System
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Single course correction in three years. I expected more from captain Kirk.

Attached: 927403-E-VHT48-274.jpg (4928x2944, 1.15M)

Its non existent artillery shell costs $800,000 to $1,000,000 the same price as a superior Chinese land attack cruise missile.

Gun-based shore bombardment in the era of carrier-based ground pounders is a dead meme
The Zumwalt-class should've been a prototype for the Ticonderoga replacement from the start

it's a massive piece of shit is what it is.
just another massive sinkhole for taxpayer money.

Attached: 1544266243116.jpg (779x626, 60K)

>Is this thing even armed?

Besides the two 155mm guns it has 80 VLS cells and 2 30mm autocannons.

LRLAP is not the only ammunition that can be fired from the 155mm guns.

Attached: zumwalt3.jpg (1280x720, 64K)

>two 155mm guns it has 80 VLS cells and 2 30mm autocannons

Well you say that.

Attached: SmartSelectImage_2018-12-01-12-56-09.png (1438x2084, 1.37M)

Quick someone throw a bag of popcorn in front of the radar.

Why does it not have ammo? What is stopping them from buying or making it?

Navy has better things to waste money on.

Why is half this board seething non-Americans trying to smear American technology?

I'm not sure what point you were trying to make.

>LRLAP
was the entire point of its special 155mm guns

Currently, its still beaten by a Canadian BVLL

everyone hates americans

The same reason people hate Tom Brady

Who's Tom Brady?

The LRLAP (ammo) program went so far over budget that the Navy couldn't afford any of them.

A quarterback for an American football team who has won so many championships that some people resent him.

>superior Chinese

>America builds a technology demonstrator platform no one else in the world is capable of.
>One of the technologies didn't pan out.
>Jow Forums screeches about America being a failure nonstop.

So, what is this? Revenge for Vatniks being btfo for years?

>One of the technologies didn't pan out
This isn't the problem with the Zumwalt, the cannon is fine. The reason it isn't used is because the ammo is too expensive because 90% of the planned Zumwalt fleet was cut.

I'm curious how the critics will spin it when the navy buys HVP rounds for it.

Not that dude but yes, Chinese Area Denial ballistic missiles do in fact perform better than non existent 155mm rocket artillery.

This is a blatant waste of taxpayer money.

Il should not be tolerated.

It only "wasted money" because of stupid congressional rules that automatically killed the program. We'd have a fine class of destroyers had that not happened.

Probably the cost of modifying the magazine, pallet system and loader.

They cancelled the rest of Zumwalt-class orders for reason. USN really fucked up in 90's when they made their design studies and educated guesses what future will bring into naval warfare. They cancelled even stupider shit, arsenal ship for example, but went ahead with retarded stuff like LCS. Things that got axed included proposed next generation frigate. Now that LCS has proven that it isn't a frigate there is new frigate program.

It cost so much it's literally cheaper to have a Tomahawk missile do the job instead at a hundred times the range and payload.

Surface ships are a dying breed. Even carriers. Subs are the future.

Does stealth actually matter that much for ships?

It wasn't really the USN as much as it was Congress. They were the ones that went all BUT WE NEED A SHIP TO SUPPORT GROUND FORCES WITH GUN FIRE LIKE DA IOWAS THAT I SAW BACK IN DUBYA DUBYA TOO!!

Zumwalt would've been fine if they axed the second gun turret and added more VLS + some CIWS.

It's like the Yankees. You're either a Patriot's/Yankees fan or you absolutely despise them. Im a Chorgers fan and Brady is the bane of our existence.

Attached: Philip Rivers1.jpg (320x292, 19K)

>Besides the two 155mm guns

They are not in service, and no ammunition exists for them.

You might want to read the whole post you responded to.

Much like the Failure-35, a huge waste of money.

R&D costs distributed among relatively tiny amount of 155mm shells intended for three ships made unit cost too spicy for politicians. Tomahawk unit costs are lower because they already have built more Tomahawks than they planned to order those 155mm shells. Also substantial part of air force BGM-109G ground launched cruise missiles were converted into naval Tomahawk versions with conventional warheads when INF treaty caused those to retire. No Tomahawk still isn't cheaper. Current price for latest block IV versions Tomahawk is somewhere bit under 2 millions, inflation happens. Next generation block V Tomahawk will certainly cost over 2 million, it is supposed to enter production in couple years.

>It wasn't really the USN as much as it was Congress.
Zumwalt-class had relatively huge technology risks. New gun system, even actually realized one, you know they wanted a rail gun and 155mm AGS was low risk interim alternative. Tons of automation, to reduce crew to level where it is potentially too small to deal with damage control effectively. Hull design and New VLS layout that potentially increase damage control issues. Most important risk was does it have a mission that exists outside of handful concept studies starting mid to late 80's.

While interference from politicians certainly happened with SC-21 related programs. Navy brass fucked up as well.

>Zumwalt would've been fine if they axed the second gun turret and added more VLS + some CIWS.
At that point they should have replaced last gun with modernized variant of existing 127mm gun.

Attached: HMS not so invincible.jpg (2080x1134, 164K)

Could be worse. I'm a jags fan.

Yeah that’s why many countries are still buying them okay retard

Attached: 148B6D5A-F444-400B-A75C-47D319D61F86.png (800x600, 28K)

>Hull design and New VLS layout that potentially increase damage control issues.

How can the new VLS layout increase damage control issues? I thought the point of it was so that if the missiles in VLS ever detonated it would blow outwards, away from the ship, limiting damage. What went wrong?

The same reason people hate Ted Bundy

Excuse me but arsenal ships are based. All they needed to do was also be submarines.

>translation: the zumwalt is now doing what the navy wanted it to do instead of what congress thought it should do

>What went wrong?

Nothing, they work as intended.

I’m a Raiders fan, I hate everybody else in the AFC West and Tom Brady.

>three god damn ships
I will never understand this meme.
What the fuck do you do with THREE ships? No ship is that much of a force multiplier.

And does this mission changing require, dare I say, some more investments?

Attached: zumwalt merchant1.jpg (322x471, 48K)

Because the world hates you and cheers every time you fail and go on a damage control spree chanting USAUSAUSA. Like with Zumwalt.

>why many countries are still buying them
Because their officials got bribed by lockheeb mart. As always.

>Endless butthurt at greatest country in the world
Europoor, I presume?

Because that's what they got cut to. It was originally going to be 32. Instead of just the few lead ships in the class having teething issues, it's now the entire class because things that would be fixed & refined in later ships will not be ironed out.
Instead of tooling up and making shells for 32 ships, the factories did all the tooling but are selling much less, which is why the price goes to a crazy amount to try to makeup the investments.
The Zumwalt class was built for a vision of naval warfare that has not panned out so far. Now the few ships that were made are having to find their place in the actual navy and world.
The 21st century has been a bit of a shitshow for the US Navy but that's the risk when you try something new and perhaps it will be looked at of the start of something that ended up being successful.

Attached: 1488092926556.jpg (1486x989, 262K)

Funny thing about that, while they may not appear on radar, at certain wavelengths the ocean surface does as does the wake the ship leaves. In some cases theres a big black splotch where the stealth ship is positioned. Seems kind of counter-productive.

>greatest country in the world
>Ameristench actually believes this
youtube.com/watch?v=HPekmA9tcvg

Attached: circus aurum.png (996x868, 599K)

Because everyone loves Americans and wants to see you be your best self, and you aren't going to improve if we always tell you you're doing a good job.

post passport faggot

>Muh R&D costs
Navy released a cost breakdown a while back. Each additional new round was in the ~$400,000 range.
While that is lower then the unit cost of $800k it is still an absurd price for an artillery shell.

it's a gun launched missile, not a generic 155mm artillery shell

But it has the same diameter? So it is basically the same effect when it hits?

A RAP shell is not a gun launched missile.

Yes, unless it has a special warhead or something. The whole idea goes back to replacing the Iowas with guns that could be rocket-boosted to extreme ranges, GPS guided, and thus hit a target with precision and penetration. Personally, I think the whole idea is incredibly flawed and situational. A Tomahawk is about x3 than a shell costing $400,000 (according to a basic Google search) and considering you're probably going to need multiple shells on a target, the only thing gained with this gunfire support is speed of the projectile and ability to fire them quicker/sustained. Which again, is only even relevant in certain situations.

>tfw cold war submarine aircraft carriers come back into fashion, and this time not just as concepts.

Attached: if only you knew how different.png (1293x1293, 1.61M)

LRLAP is not a 155mm RAP

Lockheed must be bankrupt from all the bribes they've been throwing out there, huh?

Attached: 1558185969577.png (411x394, 222K)

It literally is.

Attached: its a RAP.png (714x231, 39K)

So it's basically a C-RAP?

Meanwhile, China is installing ramjets on their standard naval artillery shells so they have the same or better capabity than LRLAP but much much cheaper.

Thank you for highlighting that it is a guided projectile with powered fight, also called a missile.

>burst missile launch detected

Attached: 9C5730D6-CFBB-4B7B-8EBE-8F1A22348354.jpg (1024x768, 247K)

Not with all the sales their bribery provides them with.
youtube.com/watch?v=BWipIji35Cg

>Lockheed makes yet another great fighter jet that is selling well
>muh bribes
Keep crying Ivan

Attached: 96EB3A99-D64E-4E1D-A1FB-28078C9C7544.jpg (220x229, 9K)

RAPs are not missiles.

Attached: 3vof35.jpg (733x972, 374K)

>Corrupted corporation bleeds amerilard tax money
>Now coming to your government!
Fuck off, Eugene.

Keep crying Ivan your only argument is muh bribes why not admit it is a capable aircraft

>cold war submarine aircraft carriers

They never built any because they realized it was a stupid idea.

unironically a ship sized bolter

>Not naming the file .45acp

>Chinese
>superior
Speak english

It's going to turn into a platform for area defense lasers, pretty much what it was always planned for.

>raiders fan
Hello spic

when "everyone" is middle east, africa, and other shitty 3rd world totalitarian shitholes their opinions are discarded. europe hates america because america has been protecting europe for 70 years now so they are ungrateful ninos who are comitting cultural suicide by being a bunch of elitist hedonists.
im not even american but no one pins their hopes on sweden or belgium or france to come and fight totalitarian regims. America is flawed, sure, but compared to the rest of the world it's a saint.

t. ex soviet

Oh, wow!

Attached: meanwhile-in-china1.png (480x365, 178K)

>america has been protecting europe for 70 years
>Amerilards actually believe this
More like has been messing with both internal and external affairs of its every NATO lapdog. Fuck off from my country, faggot.

>t. ex soviet
I.e. another butthurt polish working immigrant. Fuck off back to your shithole, you cock sucking lapdog scum.

Attached: 1485902570987.png (1278x2407, 102K)

From the thumbnail it looks like an American ship getting rammed by a merchant ship. lol

im actually from moscow originally and i dont live in the states. but nice movie you got there. also racist as per european tradition.
not american, i dunno which faggy country you reside in but the EU has been meddling in many countries affairs and imo has a much more aggressive control posture. if you live in europe go fuck yourself, almost every country in europe is tainted with that. britain is the only country in the region who has legit bragging rights on account of coming to the aid of poland in ww2 and going willingly into war.

Now it all makes sense.

Attached: 1446132604001.jpg (900x506, 157K)

>asking you to pay your agreed upon share into NATOs defense fund rather than have the burgers make up that difference is meddling in internal affairs
Ok faggot

Now post a picture of LRLAP.

yeah its funny that the russian equivale costs 35.000 per piece

and the justification for that massive hog was the fact that LM couldnt find a way to make a gps reciever to work while the warhead was spinning

bullshit obviously

Russia has no equivalent.

Honestly, I'm cool with my defense bux going to this thing come to life. I don't even care if it works that well. Sea behemoths when?

Attached: project 621 and 626.jpg (1250x891, 251K)

>chinkshit
>superior

I was thinking about the zumwalt the other day, when it comes to heavily classified things as large as entire ships you have to hide things in plain sight. What are the chances they're armed with undisclosed weapons or systems?

If you had a naval railgun project that was much further along than what is public and you wanted to secretly deploy them it would be a considerable amount of trouble. Trying to secretly outfit older destroyers won't work, you won't be able to pass it off as a normal 127mm. Any attempt to cover the turret up will be extremely suspicious.

Then you have the zumwalts, the guns are conveniently shrouded, despite a small crew and massive displacement it supposedly features less armament and supposedly sails around missing it's guns and completely empty gun magazines even though it should be relatively easy to install a pair of 127mm dual purpose guns in place. It's entirely possible the US navy is simply this inept, but it's a little suspicious.

>can fire other types of ammo
>AGS can only use ammunition designed specifically for the system. Only one ammunition type was designed, and the Navy halted its procurement in November 2016 due to cost ($800,000 to $1 million per round), so the AGS has no ammunition and cannot be used.[4][5][1]

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Gun_System

>wikipedia

You are thinking of Excalibur and Dinamika.

not from england either, wew lad.
You gonna keep guessing i'm from every country i say something positive about cos you think all people are like you?

why is one tank kept away from the others?

Time out corner. In confined spaces, tanks get kinda cranky.

I think you mean Hand Egg

Attached: soccer-vs-handegg-nfl-football-1473239145884236483.jpg (513x410, 58K)