HOW CAN I MASTER THE KATANA?

I want to get good with a katana both for exercise and meditative purposes. Where's a good place to get started? I need a functional grade sword but not too expensive and definitely not some China garbage. I also need instructional material, YouTube videos, books whatever. What materials are best for cutting practice? Any advice, Anons?

"To master the virtue of the long sword is to govern the world and oneself, thus the long sword is the basis of strategy." - Miyamoto Musashi

Attached: skippy katana.png (880x928, 1.8M)

Other urls found in this thread:

kultofathena.com/swords-iaito.asp
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yeah

>>>/reddit/

Learn how to repair it after every fight.

You can't, you don't got thumbs.

Stick em with the pointy end

Nice kot

Attached: 190424202848-kamala-harris-at-she-the-people-forum-super-169.jpg (1100x619, 56K)

>Where's a good place to get started?
A dojo...? Or a better place to troll.

I trained under Will Keith.

Start by buying a hardwood bokken. And I do mean hardwood. In fact, buy two because you're probably going to break your first one. Something that can give and receive strikes and not fucking shatter. Use this while you learn stances, footwork and blade control. Practice where you have a LOT of space all around.

Once you have the basics, buy what's called a "practical katana" which means it's a full tang sword meant to be used for combat. This will probably run you around $300-$400. Read reviews of the make/model you're looking at buying first. I started with a $250 (at the time) CAS Iberia sword and moved on to a Paul Chen before finally commissioning a sword from a maker in Japan.

Things to practice cutting include milk jugs, water bottles, tightly rolled and tied bundles of straw (wet), rolled up beach mats (also wet). You can build a servicable stand from 2x4's and a thick piece of doweling or broom handle just make sure you won't be cutting the wood itself.

Join an iaido or kendo dojo. Often times they're taught alongside eachother.

Thanks, user, that answers a lot of my questions!

>I also need instructional material, YouTube videos, books whatever.
What you need is a teacher user. You won't learn how not to stab or cut yourself with a book or videos. Sharp weapons and even bokken can be very dangerous to lethal and you wouldn't be the first one to maim yourself by trying to cut something in your backyard.

Find a club, kendo, iaido, Toyama-ryu, even HEMA if need be but practice alongside people with supervision.

Besides, sword fighting is, like most fighting, mostly about timing and distance and you won't learn that by yourself. If you're not interested in the fighting part, then iaido is what absolutely looks like you're looking for given
>I want to get good with a katana both for exercise and meditative purposes

>Where's a good place to get started?
At the courses: judo, kendo, historical fencing.
Search for your local center and apply there.
There they'll say to you what would you need.

> I also need instructional material, YouTube videos

Search for Will Keith videos on youtube, he will show you the way.

Attached: will keith sword katana.webm (1024x576, 1.79M)

You're such a cringy faggot holy shit

Find a kendo instructor idiot.

Those slices actually aren't bad.

Yeah

I have a Sakabato

Attached: IMG_20190519_195030222.jpg (2048x1536, 507K)

Attached: IMG_20190519_195104810.jpg (2048x1536, 698K)

Attached: IMG_20190519_195225125.jpg (2048x1536, 745K)

Attached: IMG_20190519_195402092.jpg (2048x1536, 851K)

Imagine being the dindu that gets skewered like a kebab because he was out getting money for school supplies and he decided this fat neckbeard's home looked like easy pickings. If the katana wounds weren't fatal, the embarrassment just might be.

once you have studied the ways of the fat swordsman. you will be ready to learn the art of secret and deadly combo moves like the Dragon Twister

Attached: IbN0.gif (320x240, 2.2M)

No, they're terrible. Because they were done by a fatty. Never praise a fatty. They say they became overweight was the day they stopped being people.

> You climb a mountain, there you will find an old man in a kimono, he will then proceed to teach you the ways of the weaboo warrior.

They're fucking terrible. He over swings and uses no wrist action.

Its all bad advice, the best advice is to get a teacher, just make sure they are legit and not running some fake samurai Mcdojo

>Sakabato
>Meme sword created by the author of Rurouni Kenshin.

The real Saito Hajime was 5'6" and wore glasses.

Buy one at the flea market for $20 and hack down on our neighbors shrubs with it

Where are you tax returns now,GRRM?

Attached: Thumbs Up Fren.jpg (472x420, 23K)

One more for you,"fren".
Your thumb based argument has failed.

Attached: Thumbs.jpg (1280x720, 54K)

For exercise and meditation, get an iaito
kultofathena.com/swords-iaito.asp