Why was this scraped again?

This seems to be much more advanced than the Apache MK2.

Attached: comanche-030.jpg (637x531, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing–Sikorsky_RAH-66_Comanche#Cancellation
youtube.com/watch?v=V1OJNcELdB8
youtube.com/watch?v=x91BW1I9V8I
youtube.com/watch?v=eaVex0QZXV4
youtube.com/watch?v=JePKlMjZsjc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing–Sikorsky_RAH-66_Comanche#Cancellation

A few reasons:
Cost overruns throughout development
Not that much better than the Ayypatch
PCW "peace dividend"
Unreasonable requirements foisted on late in development (Intercontinental self-deployment)

Attached: unusualfuckingaircraft.jpg (750x300, 20K)

Predator UAV happened, we needed RC planes to orbit dune coon huts for days on end in early 2000s

>Intercontinental self-deployment
>light helicopter
>any helicopter
what the fuck

It was deafeated by hulk.nuff said

"Ok but can it do the Airwolf thing"

-The Pentagon

I've heard various things- either that the pentagon wanted it killed and made up a Bullshit requirement to do so(What they did with Crusader), or that they were retardedly optimistic. Of course, the second option wouldn't be the first stupid thing from early 2000's pentagon.
youtube.com/watch?v=V1OJNcELdB8

Or it is actually in service, but secretly.

It didn't make much sense. Helicopters couldn't be made truly radar stealthy to survive fighters, and ground-based threats weren't so much about radars as about passive infrared guided missiles and autocannons. The latter became independent from radar for fire control as laser rangefinders became common.

Furthermore, the costs of this supposedly cheap (originally USD 15 million fly-away was promised) helicopter grew too high and there was no real need to add attack helicopter punch as the modernised Apache fleet was already huge.

Rarely understood fact; the Apache's much more freely movable autocannon was actually better than the RAH-66's and the AH-1's for actions over occupied cities like Baghdad and Fallujah.

god this video is so cringe

too goddamned expensive

Unfortunately, not the worst one:
youtube.com/watch?v=x91BW1I9V8I
youtube.com/watch?v=eaVex0QZXV4

youtube.com/watch?v=JePKlMjZsjc

You ain't seen nothing

It was never an analog to the Apache, it was a replacement for the OH6 and in certain capacities the Kiowa. Trouble is, while improved sensory systems made those aircraft obsolete, they simultaneously made the whole role of gunship spotter obsolete as well. Why have a separate aircraft spotting targets by eyesight when your Apache sensors can see further and clearer than he ever could? So now instead of Gunship/spotter teams, you just have two gunships operating just as if not more effectively.

Drones took its job.

>Cost overruns throughout development
is there ANYTHING in usa that has actually meet this tiny little deadline?

most of the shit i have seen cancelled is primarily due to the fact that it got so much overbudget and so late that a new and cheaper tech got invented

Who the hell thought this was good enough to publish and not burn?

Same people that think Tiltrotors are a good rapid insertion troop transport despite being unable to fit fucking door guns

Why is everything not a drone right now?
Drone tanks, drone missile boats, drone bombers, drone gunships.

This is the kind of stuff that gets desk drivers diamonds.