Soft Armor

Why isn't soft armor a thing anymore? Why don't companies design a modern plate carrier that is of similar cut to a modern PC, but made out of soft armor, particularly on the sides, even maybe putting a thick layer of soft armor on the sides to bump it up to lvl III. Thus no longer requiring side plates, while still retaining the ability to slide lvl IV plates in the front and back. Surely, soft armor has come a long ways to the point where you could easily attain lvl IIIA armor all around and possibly even lvl IV in places such as the sides, while still allowing the sides to be more coverable and movable. All while cutting down on the bulk.

I can just imagine an OTV vest that has been slimmed down in bulk and cut up to only protect the rib cage, such as many modern PC's, while being built out of modern soft armor materials, combined with modern level IV front and back plates. Wouldn't this be a much better alternative to wearing slick armor who's only armor is from the plates and nothing else?

Attached: IBA OTV PC.jpg (1280x896, 338K)

Yeah.

>Why can't things be light and flexible while also outstandingly durable in a specific scenario where it's traditionally one or the other?
Gee

>Surely science and technology have
They ain't

It seems to me militaries are moving toward maneuverability over protection to increase survivability. A fatigued soldier is an easier target.

Why are mods allowing trap threads and yeah shitposters to stay? Why are the mods being massive faggots as of late?

Attached: why are we here just to schefflein.jpg (554x800, 73K)

Because the mods are massive faggots they'll ban you for saying kike or nigger now too

>as of late
they have always been massive faggots. i don't mind yeah posters though and they don't really hurt anything.

>surely
well you tell us, you're the one who's interested in this and saying it can be done. i can tell you the military doesn't reflect what you're insinuating.

What do you think the backers for things like level IV plates are?

>"Why havent we invented magical materials that have physical properties that allow them to stop projectiles traveling at 3000+FPS but not weigh a lot and are flexible instead of solid plate?

idk user, maybe because we live in real world?

>I can just imagine an OTV vest that has been slimmed down in bulk and cut up to only protect the rib cage, such as many modern PC's, while being built out of modern soft armor materials, combined with modern level IV front and back plates.
Wow you mean literally the SPCS that is issued to everyone who deploys except the marines? Someone lock up this dangerous subversive!

yeah

Yeah.

You cannot outrun a bullet, but you can stop it with armor.

Yeah

Safariland has law enforcement outer vests that do just that. Obviously just IIIA on the flanks since it takes a tonne of kevlar to equal III.

unnecessary if you have even half decent plates

A slower soldier is easier to aim at.

Are you stupid? Did you go to school with normal sized classes? Or were you in a classroom with 10 other kids and friendly teachers?

does softer/ weaker armor just not stop rifle bullets at all? I've been wondering this lately as well, but I don't know anything about plates or other types of armor

>does softer/ weaker armor just not stop rifle bullets at all?
Just a little anecdote, but we tried shooting a kevlar vest with a Glock 19 in the military. Didn't go through. A 7.62x39 round from an RK 95 went straight though, however.

I wonder how much of the bullets force is dissipated into the armor and how that would affect wounds. It's an interesting idea to think about, even if the tech isn't there to make anything practical

You could easily test it, and I even reckon you could find the results online somewhere. Just slap a vest on some clay or gel.

I would definitely like to see the impact it has on lethality. Sure, if it goes through the vest it'll likely still have the power to poke a hole in you but would it slow the bullet enough to effect hydrostatic shock, tumbling or fragmentation. What about for pistol rounds through soft armour or rifle rounds through iii plates.

>soft armor not a thing

Weird how were still getting issued and are wearing it you fucking moron

fat cope