Is there any benefit to legally build your own solvent trap suppressor with a form 1 over just going and doing the...

Is there any benefit to legally build your own solvent trap suppressor with a form 1 over just going and doing the paperwork and buying one outright?

Im confused about how that would go and keep seeing stuff about form 4's. Are the solvent traps even worth bothering with as a legal tax stamped item?

Any insight or experiences would be appreciated.

Attached: xbcnBfi.jpg (2822x1861, 814K)

I mean it’s cheaper and you can customize it someways a bit more. Form 1 is also faster especially with efile.

How fast we talking. Last I heard was a year.

Oh my god your stupid ass question got answered in the NFA thread and now you're making another new thread. Bro.

OP here.

I am trying to figure this out. I would order a Solvent trap online but I worry the fucking alphabet boiz would show up asking questions. I dont know how relevant it is in 2019 for that to happen but I dont want to push it.

If I get one of these kits say in 5.56, and I wait and dont drill or modify or anything stupid. Go and submit my form to the ATF wait until I get a pproval, is there any benefit to building it myself other than cheaper. Is it tied to any item it goes on? I have more than one item it would be able to go on. I didnt know if there was any benefit like for instance buying a stripped lower and having it marked on the NICs as a multical OTHER item.

Form 1 Efiles are 40 days on average according to NFAtracker but I frequently see 3 weeks
Form 4s are 9 months on average (10 total, actually)

lol you are going to become a statistic for antigunners to use stop trying to find loopholes faggot

Link to the NFA info is broken nigger.

Oh bullshit. I dont want to break any laws. Im asking because if I can do it and get a quick turn around I would do it for the cost until I can later just purchase one. Christ...

Shut up, boot licking stamp nigger.

>be you
>ask question
>get answer
>keep asking question because room temp iq

I doubt you own guns and are instead fishing for vicarious experience so you can larp on reddit or wherever that you've totally built your own suppressors bro like bro silent like bro

For a legal build your own suppressor would it be a form 4? I keep seeing that but dont understand why there would be such a difference.

No not at all. I literally do not have anyone or any other place to ask questions or to talk about it. A kit to build one isnt difficult at all to do the right way, I just dont understand all of the other stuff that goes along with it. I dont want to ask my local FFL.

I also dont know about the effectiveness which was primarily why I specifically asked about this in the original post.

No, build your own is form 1.
Form 4 Efiles arent up yet.

gtfo you stupid stamp faggot

Thanks, I see the online efile thing and the form 1 looks like that specifically is what would be needed to build one. Although it seems risky to build one from a cheap solvent trap because after its serialized if it sucks or if somthing happens you cant just swap the adapter or the actual tube out without paying another $200.

Why is it so fucking hard for you retarded summerfag plebbitors to stop double spacing?

>Solvent trap online but I worry the fucking alphabet boiz would show up asking questions.
Doesn't happen unless they already have some interest in you.
>If I get one of these kits say in 5.56, and I wait and dont drill or modify or anything stupid. Go and submit my form to the ATF wait until I get a pproval, is there any benefit to building it myself other than cheaper.
Though it's technically illegal to do, the additional benefit is if you have some kind of catastrophic baffle strike failure, you can rebuild from new parts and put the same serial on it.
>I didnt know if there was any benefit like for instance buying a stripped lower and having it marked on the NICs as a multical OTHER item.
That multi only matters if you want to register it as a different caliber from 5.56 or whatever is stamped into the gun. Last I checked, Form 1 still requires a specific caliber for the "weapon" that is the same as the one stamped/engraved into the receiver if there is a specific caliber stamp/engraving. If it's stamped as multi, you'll still have to pick a specific caliber to put on the Form 1 and the "weapon" should be configured for that caliber while not in use.

Okay that makes a lot of sense. But it wouldnt have to be tied to one specific platform then, it could be used on any of my multi builds.

I mistyped. I meant a solvent trap kit with the correct thread pattern left untouched. That in itself isnt illegal for possession. But if I decided to form 1 it I could store it at my FFL. The baffle parts dont matter from what I gathered. The adapter and the tube are the parts that are born together. Cannot rebuild those without another form. All my lowers are stamped multical but would be primarily used for 5.56 and .223. So you couldnt use it for any of the other acceptable calibers then legally if it was formed for 5.56 is that right?

>I would order a Solvent trap online but I worry the fucking alphabet boiz would show up asking questions.

Everybody selling that shit online is an ATF honeytrap. No exceptions.

There was a guy in the Detroit 'burbs selling M16 drop-in auto sears in Shotgun News for like 25 years. Mysteriously all his customers got visits from the Alphabet Squad too. It was a mysterious coincidence.

Speaking hypothetically and for entertainment purposes only, if I were entertaining any such thoughts, and I weren't a machinist, I'd learn to be a machinist and buy the appropriate equipment to make such things myself, in the garage. But, of course, I'm not a machinist, and I don't have a row of drill presses and metal lathes and milling machines in the garage. Of course.

Attached: su-press-on.jpg (301x167, 10K)

>if I were entertaining any such thoughts, and I weren't a machinist, I'd learn to be a machinist and buy the appropriate equipment to make such things myself, in the garage. But, of course, I'm not a machinist, and I don't have a row of drill presses and metal lathes and milling machines in the garage. Of course.

The majority of what I am seeing online about these is that dudes are using harbor freight presses to do them once the forms come back. That alone scares the absolute shit out of me.

>But if I decided to form 1 it I could store it at my FFL.
The ATF isn't going to come kick your door down just because you filed a Form 1.
>The adapter and the tube are the parts that are born together.
Learn to English.
>Cannot rebuild those without another form.
Legally, no, but the ATF doesn't have fucking photographs of every NFA item in the country.
>So you couldnt use it for any of the other acceptable calibers then legally if it was formed for 5.56 is that right?
Again, learn to English.
>you'll still have to pick a specific caliber to put on the Form 1 and the "weapon" should be configured for that caliber while not in use.
>pick a specific caliber
>the "weapon" should be configured for that caliber while not in use.
>while not in use.
When the weapon is in storage and NOT IN USE, it should be configured for the caliber that is listed on the Form 1.

Double spacing has been around longer than reddit and Jow Forums.

Stop acting like double spacing is inherently bad or >reddit

I'm going to build my own. I had a thread up the weekend about making a threaded adapter so I can experiment with .22 suppressors. I finished it yesterday, but didn't degas the casting so it came out like shit, and also made a few mistakes when making it. Nevertheless the fit is good enough to use for experiments and I will make a better one once I have a good suppressor design to go with it. I'll be starting my first monocore suppressor later today.

Attached: asdf.jpg (3264x2448, 688K)

That is super cool thanks for sharing your work.

Oh I remember you, best of luck dude.

Thanks, I went with the setscrew design that people suggested in the previous thread. I'm a amateur machinist, but I learned a lot by making the adapter that will help with the suppressor. If I had to remake it, it would much easier. Boring out the internal taper for the barrel was the hardest part, but I managed to get a good fit with not play.

Attached: erty.jpg (3264x2448, 816K)

Aren't you a bong?

No

What kind of lathe do you need to do something like that ?
Is a little hobbyist lathe enough ?

I have a 10 inch (maximum diameter you can turn) lathe with a 900mm bed length. Its a smaller size machine, but its made from good heavy castings which help with stiffness and vibration. Ive never used a machine smaller than a 10 inch, so I don’t know how the really small ones compare to it. With smaller machines you have to compromise and work around limitation, for instance in my picture you can see I cut off the part from the rear instead of the front, because the machine lacks the stiffness to part from the front. Many people often suggest going for older machines, because they are often heavier. Smaller machines will normally have higher speeds available which is good for making small part such as model engines.

Attached: asdfzc.jpg (3264x2448, 476K)

I was thinking about going for a lathe with these specs, I don't have enough footprint available and 400V 3-phase to get a big old machine.
Thank you for the info, do you make your tools yourself on the grinder ?

Yes I mostly use high speed steel blanks which I grind myself. I have a lot of carbine insert tools as well, but I prefer the flexibility of HHS blanks. There are workarounds for 3 phase machines, but the biggest problem with industrial size machines is the weight. Getting them to your house and setting them up is very difficult. Even my 10'' lathe weighs around 400 kg ( 880lbs), but it is much more manageable than a 2 ton machine. Anything over 12''x36'' is most likely oversized for most hobby work.

Another good machine to have is a mill. I have a benchtop machine that is not as good as a knee mill, but when you understand the limits you can work around it to still make accurate parts. Small scale milling can also be done on a lathe, but it is a bit of a hassle. Just a warning, If you buy a lathe and people find out, expect a lot of jobs coming your way.

Attached: uiop.jpg (3264x2448, 430K)

literally only two of the posts you mass linked have double spaces you massive faggot.

kill yourself.

also learn what a paragraph break is

>3 jaw
fuckin' chucklet

:^)

Attached: gh.jpg (3264x2448, 674K)

I bet it's not even adjustable
>enjoy your runout fggt

I have two 4 jaws as well, but I was using a mandrel that I made and left in the 3 jaw, so there was no run out

I was referring to the fact that your non 4 jaw chucks aren't adjustable and can't be indicated in like the kind with 4 setscrews can

As much as I enjoy shitposting about machining I have to get to sleep, It's 9am and I work nightshift

cya

Sometimes it amazes me how cucked you americans are on some fronts. In my euro shithole I can buy all the suppressors can carry without any extra tax or paperwork. Or in case of poorfag the manufacturing is equally legal.

Oh shit dude, I remember suggesting that you use the front sight dovetail. Glad to see your design allows you to keep your front sight!

the quick turn around is the big draw for a form 1 can. youll probably be atleast ok if you buy a kit and only drill. worst case scenario, youre out maybe a few hundred dollars but you saved 10 months of waiting so its kind of a wash anyway.

The solvent trap thing is gay, but a reason to do Form 1 over Form 4 is drastically reduced wait time because eForms.

There's potential legal issues with a Form 1 solvent-trap build, because any silencer part is also legally a silencer. (This is unlike guns, where only the frame/receiver is a firearm, the rest is just parts.)
Since whether a given part is a "silencer part" or not is partially determined by intent, there's an argument that buying a solvent trap with the intent to make a silencer out of it makes the tube and endcaps become unregistered (and thus illegal) silencer parts. (The "totally not baffles" are okay regardless of your intent, because they come with no hole in them, and thus aren't silencer parts, but the tube and endcap are fully functional.)

So whereas for regular guns you can have a kit with an "80%" receiver blank and the rest of the parts fully completed, by this argument, each component of an analogous silencer kit must be in "80%" form. And solvent traps aren't generally sold that way.

But lots of people do it anyway and don't get their dogs shot, so this does seem to be a theoretical concern.

Make sure that it aligns properly before any testing, and check it super often. I've used a thread adaptor like that before, it can adjust itself ever so slightly while in use if you're not careful. I'd hate to see you on here telling us about how you shot your form1 can without realizing it. Best of luck to you my guy

Can confirm a harbor freight drill press is more dangerous than any gun dianne feinstein has tried to grab. Liberals should be working on trying to ban harbor freight welders and drill presses instead of guns, many fingers and hands will be saved.

I also do not like your post.

I do worry about my little pup.

Yip, it came out all right for a experimental one. The height of the front sight limits me to a 40mm outside diameter suppressor, but I think that's more than enough for a .22. I worked on a simple monocore 3 part design today and made sure I have the material available. I'm just going through the machine operations in my head to make sure the design is as simple as possible to make.

Misalignment is my biggest concern. I kept runout to a minimum during machining, and will make sure it is secure during testing. Im thinking of starting with .22 Shorts and working my way up. Luckily I don't need paperwork for a suppressor where I live, so if it breaks I can melt it down and make a new one. My goal is to experiment with designs to eventually build one for my AR.

Attached: supp.jpg (1372x1684, 220K)