QUESTIONS FOR A RED ARMY OFFICER

QUESTIONS FOR A RED ARMY OFFICER

So the doorkeeper at my house was born in the former Soviet Union, he's over 60 now, and according to the little I know abut him he enrolled in the Soviet navy and also apparently served in Afghanistan in the early 80s.
With the excuse that I'm doing a project for college about the Cold War I've managed to agree with him to make him some questions about the subject

>Any questions that you'd like to ask him?

Attached: farley_soviet.jpg (1024x683, 107K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DBYa5-jrwuM
youtube.com/watch?v=Iknh6sQtDnM
youtube.com/watch?v=K69_m4gtZDk
youtube.com/watch?v=9aPM4XZUbO4&list=PLbNqaauZ_b14CEIEba3EwKdrFpZLwCsCw&index=57&t=135s
youtu.be/_jEQchTqaKA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'd like to know if the memories of those days are happier for him than they are painful.

thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=DBYa5-jrwuM

Attached: k_on_an_APC.jpg (1068x600, 64K)

What was the weirdest situation that ever happened to him?

youtube.com/watch?v=Iknh6sQtDnM

does he have a mustache like this guy?

Yeah

Did he do any gay shit?

This
Ask about the funniest thing he experienced while there
Don’t ask about kills or sad moments

no mustache, its been over 40 years and he still even has a military short haircut

is this gentleman in America? does he keep a clone of his service rifle, like burger veterans have an M4gery?

Ask if he ever had issues with the KGB or Soviet political apparatus. Also, what the general opinion of Gorbachev was throughout his time in power and especially throughout glasnost and perestroika and the eventual collapse of the Union.

I’d honestly like to know how he felt when the union fell. Was he pulling four it or did he feel like his service was (for lack of a better word) a waste

Attached: 0BB5797B-29C4-40FE-8667-141C73B4F7D5.jpg (750x409, 67K)

i wonder what navy could do in afghan
there are only mountains around

This. Ask him about the fun memories shenanigans that he and his дpyжищe been up to.

Attached: everything will be great.jpg (500x370, 58K)

Is that penis extender a tank silencer? Did that thing actually work?

How did he feel about his service? Like was he proud to serve the soviets? Secondly, did he ever think the cold war would go hot and he would have to fight americans? If so how did he think it would go?

youtube.com/watch?v=K69_m4gtZDk

show him this.

youtube.com/watch?v=9aPM4XZUbO4&list=PLbNqaauZ_b14CEIEba3EwKdrFpZLwCsCw&index=57&t=135s

tell him he is a hero, which he is.

I find myself becoming more and more Pro Russia, and Soviet each day

How much tap water are you drinking?

Ask him if he knows how to cook a good steak

Just buy him some drinks and get a tape recorder. Whatever flows while you're both having a good time will be genuine and fun as hell.

My dad actually served in soviet Navy in early 80s.
He even have album with his crewmates photos and views of the ship.
I rarely asked him about it, but as far as I know he had really good memories about it.

They don't hear any complaints from the locals, if you catch my drift

was gun ownership actually possible for the common person to legally get one under communist soviet union government country or was the nation an absolutist on no one but the military should have firearms?

Finally we are actually asking the real questions, was gun ownership even a thing for the common dumbass in soviet union?

We’re there any doubts about the leadership and how did he feel when the union fell?

Bump

Ask him how seething he is on a scale of 1-10 that the Chadmericans could have roflstomped his entire union with absolute ease at any given opportunity, now that the facade is up and its obvious all slav nations are paper tigers haha.

Attached: 1557885808030.gif (296x160, 1.26M)

I guess they’ve mostly been already stated
> Did he enjoy his time in the Soviet Navy?
> What was his role in Afghanistan?
> Favorite memory from his time in service
> Why he emigrated to the West
> Opinion on the fall of USSR: positive, negative, mixed, etc.
> Opinion of state of modern Russian Federation
> His thoughts on life under communist rule
> Opinion of Soviet/Russian leaders he lived under
> any scrape-ups with internal military/party bureaucracy or the KGB/GRU
Perhaps intelligence? Iran flew F-14s, which got into a couple scrape-ups with MiGs along the Afghan border and I believe at least one Iranian crew defected with their F-14 to the Soviets (though I don’t know if they flew into Afghanistan or into the USSR proper). Probably one of the better places to try and learn more about the fighter the Soviet Navy was going to have to deal with desu

Bumping for these also what was his favorite gasmask?

>getfucked.jpg

Postsoviet citizen here.
Yes, private ownership possible firearms was possible for most of Soviet era. Though it was under heavy restrictions, but it was possible to own a gun. For example, I've inherited my grandpa's Mosin shotgun

Modern gun laws are better than soviet, but I don't know if all those horrors of neolib policy were worth it.

I read that in kruschev are you didn't need to register shot guns

I went from a nazi to a commie over 4 months.

Take the breadpill, brothers.

Attached: IMG_20190511_140442.jpg (1080x613, 150K)

>gun ownership questions
You can find out a shitload of info on that just by googling. A more interesting question would be how common he remembers it being when he was of age, what he and others thought of it at the time, etc.

More like breadlinepill.

>horseshoe theory isn't true

It's not.
You're neither, just trying to be edgy

Ask him how many Jews he worked with, and now many of his fellow Slavs he killed

It was but most of it was fudd shit.

It's all great until you actually want some bread.

This

Attached: 1556489239834m.jpg (724x1024, 94K)

based goy

>soviet navy
>afghanistan
sounds legit

So, in general the guy was more less not very communicative of his personal life (at least as much as I'd liked), and for the most part talked about general historical events and didn't tell me anything that I already didn't know, besides, the answers to some questions seem so absurd to me that I don't know if

1. He's joking and I don't fucking get the irony
2. He's deliberately lying for some reason
3. H'e actually believes what he's telling me (maybe he has some kind of psychological shit going on like Vietnam veterans)

Anyway here are some questions and answers so far (I'll include a question mark in the parts that I don't find believable. Everything in brackets its my own commentary):

1-In American school in the 50s and 60s there were simulacrums of atomic bombs being dropped and the kids would get below their desk and so on... Was that a thing when you were young?

>Yes. There were those kind of simulacrum every day (?) in the morning in schools, factories... In every city there were shelters for nuclear attacks that could fit the entire population of the city. There were even in every house (?).

2-At what age and for how long were you in Afghanistan? (he was born in 1962)

>I was sent there when I was 18 (1980). We were manifesting in the street against the war, but the authorities took the protesters, sent us to a 6-month preparation camp, and after that we were sent to the war (?). I was there for 1 year and 10 days.

3-What did you do in Afghanistan?

>We had to take the presidential palace in Kabul. It took us half an hour. After that we were tasked with patrolling the border with Pakistan to prevent the smuggling of drugs and weapons.

4-What's the most interesting/funny/curious... thing you did while there?

>In one occasion we had to patrol a canon with helicopters, so those helicopters launched these small bombs that would burn the air, so what was left were the dead bodies of Afghans and animals of which their lungs had exploded too. All that without firing a single bullet.
>Another curious thing was that we were tasked with building houses with all the commodities of a regular home, but when the Afghans got in they would strip the house of everything, even the toilet, leaving just the hole to shit in (?), and instead of using the taps and running water of the house they would just send their wives 30km away (?) to get water in a jug.
>We would see a plane flying with a black tulip painted on it. It was the plane that transported the dead. Not us neither the Afghans touched that plane.

5-Have you ever had any experiences with ghosts?

>Well in Afghanistan there were this special Afghan troops… we called them “duch” (дyх), which were like ninjas that would get into our camps at night and kill or abduct people. If one of the guys making guard fell asleep, they would get in and kill 30 people(?). What we would do was set up this kind of straw men to bait the дyх into coming, and once they were in we would get them by the back.

6- What did you do after Afghanistan?

> So for beginners in ground forces you’d have 2 years of training, while in the navy they were 3. Both of them followed up by 1 year in a hotspot to get real combat experience. I was in a special operation paratrooper brigade trained to only be deployed at night. I was for 2 years in the ground forces with the rank of sergeant and then in the navy for another 5 years with the rank of lieutenant. After 5 years you would ascend one rank up, so after those 5 years I got into the merchant marine with the rank of colonel.

7-Did you have any problems with the KGB or the secret police?

>You would have to sign a contract by which for 10 years you wouldn’t be allowed to talk to anyone about anything related to the war. Not even our closest family actually knew where we were being deployed.
>It was also prohibited to talk in any other language different of Russian (and he was Ukrainian)
>If they found you reading, watching or listening to western media you’d be sent to Siberia (?)(Isn’t that too harsh, even for the Soviets?)
>Out of every 5 people in the army, 1 was a KGB agent. If we found out who he was, he would get “killed in combat”… with a knife of course because bullets could be traced back to you.

8-What was the general opinion on Jrushchov (1956-1964)?

>Jrushchov got his people to take Stalin prisoner.
-Wait didn’t Stalin die, and was Beria the one to be imprisoned?
>Oh that’s right Stalin died and then they took Beria prisoner and then he was shot.
>Jrushchov started by liberating the political prisoners of the GULAG. He, being Ukrainian, also transferred Crimea from the Russian SSR to the Ukrainian SSR.
>He started a policy by which he planned to plant the whole country with corn, especially in Kazakstan (thats the “Virgin Lands” campaign), but our soil wasn’t fit for Corn. With him it was also reached the figure of 1.000.000.000 Tons of wheat harvested (That actually happened with Brezhnev in the mid 70s).
>He also deployed nuclear missiles in Cuba (cuban missile crisis)
>Under Jrushchov it was mandatory to work and study, my mother worked at a factory and my father was a plane mechanic.
>The food was very cheap, everything was very cheap.

9-What was the general opinion on Brezhnev (1964-1982)?

>Brezhnev was from the military, and achieved great successes during WWII
(Apparently he didn’t, Brezhnev just told that story and inflated his own influence over those events afterwards, but some people like my doorkeeper learned that propaganda as fact)
>He made Jrushchov retire in 1964 and took charge in his place. Basically he supported with weapons, food and money every communist movement that arose in any part of the world, like Cuba, Angola… He also put an end to most of the Soviet conflicts in the exterior and made great use of diplomacy.
>Regarding ordinary life, Brezhnev times were the best ones for the soviet citizen, and in my opinion he’s the best leader the Soviet Union has had. At christmas every year, the prices would be lowered and the salaries raised so people could buy more stuff. When you got a job, you’d get automatically assigned a free house, and it was mandatory to work or study: if within one month you hand’t found a job you could go to jail, and so there was no unemployment at that time.

10-What was the general opinion on Gorbachev (1985-1991)?

>Most of the people and myself too think that Gorbachev was payed by the Americans to destroy the Soviet Union.
>He started this policy of “Perestroika” with which he wanted to give more freedom to the people, but people actually ended up hating him. He also only wanted the Communist Party to have all the power (?)(He was in fact the one that introduced the reforms that allowed opposition parties to exist)
>He is a traitor: He did what the Americans paid him to do, he destroyed the Soviet Union transforming it in a bunch of separate states, and the food started to get rationed with him, he was a very bad leader.

11-In the west we have this image of the USSR of being a country where everything is scarce and there are huge queues for even the most basic stuff. Is this true?

>There were no queues with Jrushchov and Brezhnev, and the food was very cheap, however with Gorbachev the problems and the queues started.

12-Did you think you were fighting for a just cause when you were in Afghanistan?

>The Soviet government got into Afghanistan to get all the natural and especially mineral resources that country had, and also to free and educate its population which lived under a repressive islamic rule. For example we made women stop wearing the burka.
>Personally, I was there only because I had been sent there.
>Finally Yeltsin decided to pull out the troops from Afghanistan(?)

13-What do you think the Soviet army should have done in order to win in Afghanistan?

>First of all, Afghanistan was always a part of Russia, ever since the Tzars(?), but Lenin decided to let them be independent(?).
>Afghan people lived under a backward islamic rule.
(He didn’t really say anything regarding what should the soviets have done)

14-What was the general opinion on NATO?

>NATO is the army of Capitalism, and I think in case of war Russia would have won, as we have more weapons and have nuclear bases all around the world. We were better prepared.
>In case of nuclear war, everyone would die, so it wouldn’t matter who won or lost.

15-Did you think at the time that the event of WW3 was inevitable?

>No. Too much would be lost in a nuclear war, and there were also a lot diplomacy people on each side tasked to specifically avoid that kind of conflict and sort things out in a pacific way.

16-Did the Soviet people see coming the collapse of the USSR or was it a total surprise to them?

>Almost no one saw it coming, it was a total surprise, but with Gorbachev things were clearly getting worse and worse.
>I, because in the navy I had travelled a lot and saw western countries and how they worked, did see it coming, and that’s why I changed all my savings from rubles to dollars (?).

17-What was the general opinion about life in the west?

>Everyone knew that in the west life was better and there was more freedom, but there was a lot of repression and restrictions on who could get in or out of the Soviet Union.

18-What was the general opinion after the collapse of the USSR?

>After the fall of the USSR a lot of nationalist movements took advantage of the situation to gain huge influence in each ex-soviet state.
>The communists that previously were in charge of the country were quick to start buying and privatizing everything and they became very rich (oligarchs).
>The ruble dramatically devaluated, what previously were 10.000 rubles that you could even exchange for gold now were only enough to buy a loaf of bread. Trashcans were full with worthless money(?).
>The 90s were the times of mafias in Eastern Europe.
(Again, he didn’t really share what the people actually thought/felt like at that time)
>The collapse of the USSR was just a plan of the US to isolate Russia and make it easier to defeat: instead of fighting against a family of 15 states, now there were separate weak countries. They broke up that family.

>breadpill
>breadlinepill
More like diet pill

Yeah

>>If they found you reading, watching or listening to western media you’d be sent to Siberia (?)(Isn’t that too harsh, even for the Soviets?)
Doesn't seem too absurd

Interesting. Good content user.

>>The collapse of the USSR was just a plan of the US to isolate Russia and make it easier to defeat: instead of fighting against a family of 15 states, now there were separate weak countries. They broke up that family.
Really makes me think about Putin funding parties aiming to dismantle the EU. Maybe they learned

So the soviet union was actually an alright place to live until Gorbachev took place?

Does he and did the people miss the USSR?

>protest war
>get conscripted to fight in it
Kek.

Pretty interesting shit assuming this isn’t a larp. Soviet boomers tend to be pretty similar to American ones, just opposite sides of the same coin. And yes, Stalin died in 1953 and Beria was on everyones shit list which got him executed after Stalins death, for good reason too.
Really depends on what you mean by alright place, some bits were worse than others. Regardless the USSR was well into its death throes, whether it could have survived past or without Gorbachev is debatable but there was no way it would have lasted much longer regardless, if only due to the rising anti communist sentiment spreading like wildfire throughout the Warsaw Pact. The bits about Gorbachev being bought out by the West is just absurd sensationalism and if anything would be more accurate for Yeltsin. I think he was just a little idealic in what he was doing, and didn’t truly grasp just how much of a wild west Russia and much of the USSR would turn into after its removal, thus making it easy prey for oligarchs and the like.

I almost die laughing when he told me that

Thanks, that was interesting. Especially the bit about Gorbachev being paid to dismantle the country makes Reagan's tough talk seem hollow.

It's interesting that Soviets and Americans both wanted to "free" Afghanistan from the Islamic menace. Would have loved to live in a country where everything is cheap and women are beautiful. Not so crazy about the forced labor though.

Adding to the forced labor bit: I mean it kind of makes sense. Providing for yourself and others, even if it is not suited to your talents or your choice, is noble. Christlike, even. Poverty is better than affluence. And a rigid system like that at least has a controlled corruption. Capitalism and USA in particular is absolute madness in comparison, where wealth goes up to the wealthy and never comes back down, and corruption and cronies are in charge of the mil-industrial system and nobody does anything about it.

I'm glad you guys are liking it, I still have some more questions left so I'll probably post again later today or even tomorrow.
I might create a new thread for more answers

>And a rigid system like that at least has a controlled corruption
What? A rigid system absolutely favours corruption, and the SU was massively corrupted

>implying it could be as corrupt as America, where 35% of your wages evaporate and most of that goes as gifts to industry

When you have a caste of officials with basically absolute power, no free information and no rule of law the potential for corruption is very high

Not going to disagree with you, but you've also described Congress. Secret courts for granting surveillance warrants, closed sessions, controls the press by withholding access, and no accountability.

I'm not American so I could be out of the loop, but I doubt your average policeman in the US could for example threaten a father with forced labor to sleep with the daughter

No, that probably doesn't happen here. Low level corruption is the exception not the norm. For example border agents frequently take bribes, sometimes because they have no choice. But he doesn't have the support of his supervisors. That is a different kind of oppression that doesn't happen in the US much because lawyers here have power against the state.

Lemme explain.
>There were even in every house
Since WWII many neighborhoods had underground bomb shelters for civilians and officials.After Cold War most of those shelters were closed and ravaged by urban tourists/stalkers and diggers.
One of the school subjects was "Basic military preparation". This course included teaching children how to use firearms (including fireing range lessons), how to do field stripping of AK, how to wear military type hazmat suits (OZK).
>We had to take the presidential palace in Kabul. It took us half an hour.
Wasn't it KGB specops group that was taking the palace? It happened in 1979.
>we called them “duch” (дyх
Here's a coincedence. The word dukh means "spirit", but also can be a short for tajik word "dushman" meaning "enemy, hostile" - another common name for afghan mujahedeen
>>If they found you reading, watching or listening to western media you’d be sent to Siberia (?)(Isn’t that too harsh, even for the Soviets?)
Probably that's BS, because soviet import of foreign culture was a normal thing. Boney M, Abba, stuff like that. In the midlle of 80s soviets began to publish foreign rock music.
>Finally Yeltsin decided to pull out the troops from Afghanistan(?)
Probably he means that Yeltsin began playing a major role in the All-union politics.
>First of all, Afghanistan was always a part of Russia, ever since the Tzars(?), but Lenin decided to let them be independent(?).
He obviously wasn't good in history. Back in the tsarist era Afghanistan was a playground of a Grand Game between Russia and Britain. In the soviet era Afghanistan was full of soviet spies and afghan government was under soviet influence, without actually being communist.
>Afghan people lived under a backward islamic rule
The problem of underdeveloped countries - urban people may carry the modern culture and values, but rural citizens are still backwards and patriarchal.

unironically based, you should be proud of yourself user. Don't listen to those incels

>Wasn't it KGB specops group that was taking the palace? It happened in 1979.
That's exactly the thing with what this guy is telling me, you gotta know to distinguish the truth/opinion from outright bs, which for some reason seems to be prevalent in many things he says

Bump

How/why did the guy move to your country? (I presume you live in USA.)

Good goy.
Here is your .02 rubles and some moldy bread, comrade.

I wish I can go from fucking a nazi to fucking a soviet.

Attached: soviet_soldiers_berlin_rape.jpg (1212x1600, 227K)

I hope someone shows this to history class and ask if this is still ok

One of principles of nazi ideology was that strong people with better genetics should spread.
Their mistake was thinking that them were superior.
Life verified their mistake proving that allies and soviets were indeed superior breed of mankind.
So any true nazi female would want to be genetically enriched by strong american army or red army soldier, for he proved to be superior than german soldiers and by breeding with victors they would better german genetic stock making them more likely to win next time as they would carry genes of victors not loser. It cannot be rape for by their ideology, the semen of the winners is exactly what they want.

ask him what he thinks of footwraps (portyanki)
who's footwraps smelled the worst

absolutely npc

ah yes the gulag diet. Second only to the Famous Auschwitz diet!

What is this diet?

This thread is not about weapons and therefore belongs on Jow Forums. Please consider reposting this thread on the appropriate board.

tell him to jump out a helicopter, fuck every commie

So, this is the second and probably last part of this Q&A we started yesterday.

Ive also opened a new thread in Jow Forums with this same answers, as it is probably the board to which a subject like this actually belongs, but I didn’t realize at first and then I was too lazy to change it…

New thread: Again, the question marks in brackets, (?), are parts that I find hard to believe or not to be very congruent, and everything inside brackets is my own commentary.

19-Was it possible to own a weapon for the average citizen in the USSR?

>You had to perform a psychological exam beforehand. After that, get a police permit and hand a written proof stating the purpose of owning that weapon.
>By law, if someone got into your house or somewhere of your property (?) you were allowed to shoot at them, but you first had to fire a warning shot at the air, and then you could shoot at the guy, but only in non-vital parts.
>Only factory managers and other high directives had guns because they were the only ones that needed them. They also had bodyguards.

20-What was the happiest memory you have of the USSR?

>The birth of my first son in 1987.

21-What’s your best memory of the times in the navy? And of the times in Afghanistan?

>In the navy, I remember when we had to fight the pirates from Somalia, as well as the mission that we performed after the disaster of the Kursk submarine. We couldn’t save anyone.
(He told me he couldn’t say anything else about that subject. I’m assuming it has something to do with the “contract of silence” thing he told me about in question 7 [ ])

>About Afghanistan, the best moment was to get out of there.

Attached: farley_soviet.jpg (1024x683, 105K)

22-What was the general opinion about the fall of the USSR?

>People missed it a lot. Many social services and benefits were lost, such as free education, free healthcare, free housing… It was the end too of mandatory military service. In Ukraine it can be reinstated in case of war tho.
>I don’t think communism/socialism will ever make a comeback, because of capitalists, such as Gorbachev.

23-What’s your opinion on nowadays Russia?

>Now you can freely get in and out of the country, which you previously couldn’t, but a lot of social benefits have been lost, and are available only if you have money.
>Yeltsin was the guy who gave Russia freedom, and I would sum up his mandate in the phrase “You (Russians) will have now in the stores all the food, all the fruits, all the exotic products… but you won’t be able to buy any”
>Putin is like a new Tzar: he has all the military and economic power. Economic because he sent all the oligarchs to jail (?) and took over their businesses, so now he’s rich, and military due to his expansionist policies.

24-What’s your opinion of the conflict between Russia and Ukraine?

>Putin occupied Ukraine to have military bases in Crimea and Control the Black Sea, and he also attacked Georgia.
>The Donbass region in Ukraine is rich in coal, industry and armaments factories. That’s why Putin wants it.
>Putin has forced rigged elections in the occupied zones to gain legitimacy over his actions, and even in some parts of the occupied Ukraine people are given 3 months to change their passport from Ukrainian to Russian.

25-How are relationships between Russians and Ukrainians? Have they always been like that?

>The slavic ethnicity is composed of 3 branches: Belarusians, Russians and Ukrainians (?)(I think there are more slavic peoples than just that). For all of history these peoples lived in brotherhood, like in the “Kievsa Rus” (Kievan Rus’), whose capital was Kiev when Moscow didn’t exist, but later it was changed to Moscow.
>When Russia occupied Crimea, the Ukrainian army just left, because Ukraine is a pacific country and doesn’t want any conflict.

26-What do you know about Chernobyl?

>The 1st of May we were forced to go on a demonstration/parade, and while that was happening the elite took their families to shelters.
>For the Soviet government Chernobyl was a high secret, so we only got to know what was happening from the Swedish radio.
>The reason why it exploded was because the scientist there wanted more power out of the plant. There were 5 security alarms there to warn of any possible danger. 4 of them activated but they still wanted more power, so at the end the 5th alarm activated and then the plant blew up.

27- (Ask him to react to the pic shown above) Did anyone truly believe that communism was actually going to win? What did they thought when it lost and the USSR just collapsed?

>Communism didn’t lose, there are still many communist countries in the world like Cuba, North Korea, China…

28-If you could bring back the USSR to life, would you do it?

>Yes. And I would go back to living there. Life was better. Now, only if you have money you can have healthcare, education…
>Back then the cost of living was calculated in cents, for example 1L of gasoline costed 10 cents. (?)(didn’t they use Kopeks instead of cents? Maybe he just misnamed it…)
>And besides, you didn’t have to emigrate in order to find a job, and a good paying job.

29-Putin said that “The collapse of the USSR was the worst geopolitical disaster of the 20th century”. Do you agree? What do you think of what he said?

>I agree.
>Putin is the chief of the KGB, so you know what kind of guy he is… (?)(He did work for the KGB, but never was the chief of it. Maybe he’s referring to the modern FSB and how repressive Putin’s regime can be?)

30- Good and bad about the USSR?

>GOOD:
> Free public services like education, healthcare, sports…
> When you finished university you automatically were hired somewhere for 3 years.
> Free housing if you had a job after university.
> Sports were mandatory (don’t really know what he exactly meant by that).
> 30 days of vacation.
> Every 3 months you’d be sent for 15 days to a “sanatorium” to relax and rest (I don’t think he meant “sanatorium”, maybe something more like a spa or a vacation residence)
> For every child she had, a woman would receive social help for 3 years.
> Kids in school age would 3 months of vacation in summer.
> For teenagers (around 14+ he said), there would be summer camps to work in agriculture or other projects, and they would even get paid for it.
> There was a subject in school about basic military preparation and survival, like assemble and disassemble a gun, wear a gas mask…

>BAD:
> You could only travel to other socialist countries.
> There was only one party, the Communist Party, and no opposition was allowed.
> You could not criticize the government.

32-Do you know anyone that ended up with PTSD from what they saw/did in Afghanistan?

>There was this hospital near the border with Afghanistan, with about 5.000 badly wounded soldiers, without a leg, without an eye, scars… the injuries were so bad that they didn’t want to go home and their families were told that they were dead (?).
>Afghanistan was a very powerful country in terms of drugs, so about half of the soldiers ended up being drug addicts.

33-(Commenting the first scene of the movie “The beast of war”) Is it realistic? Why? Why not?

youtu.be/_jEQchTqaKA
(Before even 5 seconds pass)

>I bet they’re gonna destroy that whole village

(I play the rest of the clip)

>Oh yes, gas-masks to protect them from chemical warfare
-Which tank is that?
>A T-62 (?)(I think its actually a T-54 or T-55)
>Oh shit a grenade launcher, now he will surely destroy that tank.
(The tank remains intact and instead fires back at grenade launcher)
>oh, HAHAHAHAHAHA
>You see that can they threw from below the tank? Thats chlorine gas.
>Oh that powder they throw inside that pit? Yeah that’s poison.
>Why do you think they are destroying the village? Because they need space to build new modern buildings! Hahahahaha
>What they would do was put a big signboard beforehand that read “This is a demolition zone” and then go there and do the thing hahaha (jk of course)

(after watching it)

>Yeah its pretty realistic, I was never in a tank tho, as we used to go in a BTR where I was deployed, but yeah they blew up those villages because they were full of guerrilla men and tunnels, just like in Vietnam for the Americans, where do you think that guy and the grenade launcher came from? Tunnels under the soil, just like the Vietnamese did.

-A lot of people say that Afghanistan was the Vietnam of the Soviets, is that true?

>Yes, I think so.

it goes from question 30 to 32 because I fucked up while putting the numbers

very good thread OP. There are some inaccuracies with some of what he's said but I imagine he misremembered details rather than lied. A lot of his responses match up with what I've heard from other former Soviet citizens so I assume he's at least trying to tell the truth from his perspective.

Friendly reminder that communism always fails because the leaders become corrupt or go full genocide mode, take the real breadpill conquer the bread with frens and kill the rich ancom is the only way to be free.