Weapon Mounted Lights Discussion

So to be really honest I'm sort of skeptical about the usefulness of weapon mounted lights for home defense.

You wake up and grab your weapon. It's dark, but your eyes were closed so you have good night vision. You have the advantage of knowing your home's layout. Won't a light ruin your night vision and give away your position? Even if you activate it only once you've found the intruder(s), won't that disrupt your vision at a critical moment?

I mean, I see the need to absolutely, positively identify your target if you have a bunch of family/friends going in and out of your large home; but, what if I'm a lonely weeb in a small home? (Purely hypothetical of course.) I wouldn't really be concerned about mistaken identities in that situation.

Weapon mounted / tactical light discussion thread.

Attached: 384.jpg (493x525, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wVZ3hTUzWqQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Won't a light ruin your night vision
Not unless you point it straight in your face, or at a mirror.

>and give away your position
It certainly could do that. That said, you can choose when you turn your light on or off. Just keep it off unless you feel like you need it.

I've done practice drills for clearing out my home at night. Like you said, one has the advantage of being familar with one's surroundings, so for a lot of the home there's no need for extra light. Familarity plus the little bit of light from moonlight, appliance displays, etc, is enough. But if it's unusually dark, or if you're looking down a long hallway or into a big room the light can help.

And don't forget the light has offensive uses too. If there is a goon snooping around chances are that their eyes are also adapted to the dark. Shining a bright flashlight in their face WILL blind them, but not you.

I'd still want the light even if I lived alone. Remember, you have full control of whether or not you turn it on.

>not having blue eyes for superb night vision.
Good chance the invader will have rather dark eyes and not be able to see shit.

If you dont need it you dont have to use it
If you do need it you're able to use it

That logic alone should be enough to convince you OP. The only points against are weight (completely negligible) and price (they start at $100)

I used to feel that a light was pointless until I had a car parked by my back gate and found three people laying in my grass behind some trees one night.

If they were armed I had nothing but the laser on my carry gun for sights.

Anyone have experience with rail adapters, specifically the EZ Rail for Beretta's? Supposedly the US military used them, but obviously that doesn't mean they don't suck.

Attached: BER D (Large) (002).jpg (781x469, 83K)

What that doesn't even make any sense.

Spot on. Having a light is nice if you are out side or you want to surprise someone, but don't buy a 10000 lumin floor light that's too much light for cqb and don't use it like a flashlight. I'm trying not to dive too deep but you've got the idea.

If that's what you've got then use it. Just make sure it will stay on when you shoot and a pro tip is put a little oil on the glass of the light some carbon has a harder time sticking to it.

Nordic eyes see better in the dark, niggers didn't evolve that way though

What would the appropriate amount of lumens be for hd?

>episode 295 of "I don't understand anything about how to use a WML but think they're stupid"
>featuring such classic themes as:
>who really needs to know their target and what's beyond it anyways?
>Somebody kicked in my back door? Time to go hunting for the threat, preferably in the dark!
>Oh, no! all of my walls are literally covered in mirrors and now i can't see anything!
>Light discipline? muzzle discipline? what's that?
Every fucking time.

youtube.com/watch?v=wVZ3hTUzWqQ

>not having a static light mounted on your helmet, a strobe on your raifu, a laser taped to your erect cock so you can aim your jizz right in the mouth of the blinded niglet trying to steal your moms fine china
its like you want the cops to find your body

Better than another Iran or F-35 thread full of Jow Forums shitposting.

2 lumen/ yard not more than 200 not less than 50. Remember that when the military went to led a lot of guys thought 100 lumens was blinding in a house. Also the peq 16 is only 125 which is plenty of light imo.

I wouldn't want less than 50 lumens. 150-200 is pretty ideal in my opinion. Honestly it's unlikely that anything you'd reasonably be able to fit on a handgun will be "too powerful". Too-powerful lights certainly exist, but you won't be inadvertently sticking that on your handgun or your shotty.

I'd worry more about "learning when to use the light" rather than "is my light too powerful?". Even a weak flashlight will temporarily blind you if you go shining it around in a bathroom full of mirrors.

My theory is get the best light you can reasonably afford. Don't worry so much about battery life. You won't be using this light to play hide-and-seek. You'll only be using it if there is an imminent threat. I would pick a small, bright light, knowing that I am giving up run time. Train in your own home. One night get up at 3 AM and clear your own place. Learn where you need light and where you don't. Learn where mirrors are. Think about where intruders might be. If they are altered to your presence will they have to come past you to escape? Think of these things.

>oil on the glass of the light some carbon has a harder time sticking to it
Nigger are you completely retarded? That would make carbon stick to it WORSE. That's specifically why you're not supposed to oil certain parts of a gun, because the oil acts like a grime magnet.

You ever had a light lense get caked in carbon? When it happens you'll want the oil. It also makes getting the carbon off tons easer.

Are there any decent alternatives to Streamlight or SureFire?

>too poor to afford streamlight
Not in your budget.

Inforce

Put the light on your gun.

Streamlight is baste and cheap. If ur poor there's no reason not to get a stream. If you're rich get arisaka
>inforce
naw

Either explain why or fudge off

Olight

He's probably just referencing their QC and reliability issues. Google is your friend.

The nonexistent ones?

>as long as i refuse to look at the evidence it doesn't exist!
whew.

Go ahead and post something reputable then.

>good night vision
>know your homes layout
>a light gives away your position
I hope you have night sights then. Your night vision should also be really good so you know you’re not shooting your family members in the face

>Your night vision should also be really good so you know you’re not shooting your family members in the face
See:
>what if I'm a lonely weeb in a small home?

If you’re the only one with keys to your place then blast away I guess.

If anything, shouldn't your natural night vision will give you super clear vision when a light is switched on?

Attached: 20190522_001526.jpg (939x518, 250K)

I used to not be big on WML, until I realized that in CQC in the dark you can blind the ever-living fuck out of someone, and/or flash it rapidly to disorient. Both make it much harder for someone to shoot at you etc. This is of course in addition to being able to illuminate your target of course.

The type of people who would enter your home to rob you are harder to see in "dark" environments.

That said, don't use it to search the house and only use it to confirm your target.

>The type of people who would enter your home to rob you are harder to see in "dark" environments.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 42K)

You have to make them smile. That's why part of my home-clearing drill involves telling jokes when I come to the blind spots.

Attached: pepe with extra cheese.jpg (640x633, 39K)

Always confirm at what youre shooting at what the fuck is wrong with you. Unless they were just bashing at your door for 5 minutes.

They actually don't though

I just zip tied a flashlight to the barrel of my Mossberg.

>Is there another brand of light besides the top of the line, trusted light and the still really good lower cost alternative that is the absolute best value in lights?
Here you go nigger, just tape this to the gun I know you don't have.

Attached: 03335184_L.jpg (660x660, 85K)