Greetings Jow Forums

Greetings Jow Forums,
Should I stow my magazines full or empty? Will bullets in the magazine eventually ruin the spring? Thanks in advance.

Attached: magazine.jpg (600x319, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ar15.com/forums/industry/-/124-271107/?
youtu.be/AVC-83QW5L4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Depends on the mag.

Springs are meant to be compressed. They do not wear out under compression. Fill them up so they're ready for use.

You can store loaded, springs wear when exerting or releasing pressure (loading, unloading( =shooting)) so your fine

Depends on the bullets.

something about springs having two states, etc

Roger that.

Yeah.

I have a browning 9mm that I rarely take out.

Do you keep your car jacked up during the nights so you won't ruin the springs in the suspension?

That's actually a really good example..

>he doesn't

lel

you should take the springs out and store them separately

different kind of springs faggot

explain

storing them loaded will not weaken your springs. It could weaken your feedlips over a long period of time from the pressure though.

What weakens springs is loading / unloading cycles. The more you load them and then unload them (through firing or regular unloading) the weaker they will become.

that fucking cracked me up so hard
wish i was drinking coffee so it would spew

I thought it was the feed lips that could warp if left loaded for years.

A thread died for this.

only polymer mags are a problem because the feed lips are weaker and can wear out if you have a round at the top, thats why magpul gives you those little toppers that push the top round down into the mag a little and relieves pressure off the feed lips. so you can keep it loaded just take out 1 or 2 rounds and put the caps on em.

steel mags too stronk, not a problem. keep them loaded up!

>just take out 1 or 2 rounds and put the caps on
The caps seem to fit with a full mag.
How about feed lips on aluminum mags? Will they warp over time?
>A thread died for this.
Again.

Dynamic constant load spring vs static tension spring. Different types of steel and different treatments. Not all springs are the same,

You don't think magazine springs are designed to impart a constant force on the follower through their entire distance of travel?

>not jacking your car up every evening after the range commute
It's like you want to be unprepared

To be specific they only wear during the act of compressing and decompressing. Static loads don't do diddly to them

And neither is gonna give a fuck about creep at temperatures the primers and gunpowder won't mind.

Different kinds of faggot spring

this

Does any nigga know where to buy a gun for cheap, theirs this elementary school not far from here and the lil niggers are pissing me off baka

Attached: Shut_Up_Nigger.png (640x640, 470K)

Its a good thing to discuss imo

Attached: 1499088134733.jpg (225x225, 6K)

I do, however I don't expect the rounds in a magazine to ride up and down all day like a car spring would. Different springs
what?

>Will bullets in the magazine eventually ruin the spring?
yes but eventually is measured in decades
even 30 years later it will still work just not optimally
even with the decades rust will be a bigger issue than compression

Empty unless they're steel. They will bow out and put warping pressure on the feed lips. This is especially true of plastic mags. For the love of the gods don't store plastimags loaded.

Your empty car's suspension is loaded much like an empty mag's spring is loaded, i.e. just barely compared to the design load. It's not a good comparison at all.

>Depends on the mag.
This. The only magazines I've personally seen have issue are Norinco polymer SKS magazines where, if stored loaded, the pressure from the very top round against the plastic retention ears of the magazine will cause them to deform over time until all the rounds literally spit out.

I've owned a Hi-Power as my personal sidearm/carry exclusively for many, many years, and always keep the magazines loaded. Never any issues.

Honestly I'm surprised Academy doesn't accept EBT cards for purchasing Hi Points, given who carries them...

Spring creep exists but is negligible enough to not matter in most magazines.

No, only reason to leave them empty is if you live in a state where you have to empty them before transport. Also if you're taking a friend shooting it saves you alot of money by slowing them down if you have them load their own mags.

>there are no such thing as new gun owners.
Fuck off.

Would this be an issue on AUG mags or should I take 2 rounds out?

yes
i store all my magazines completely disassembled. its the only surefire way to keep those springs from wearing out prematurely.
if i could afford it, i would store the springs in a sealed vacuum chamber at zero gravity to really prevent undue stress on the metal

Load em, they're useless empty. It's the continued loading/unloading that wears springs

Where do you retards get this?
Creep happens. Slowly, but it fucking happens.
Don't store all of your mags loaded.

fudd myths
don't believe the lies. parts wear from pressure and constant forces
its common sense that force can exert pressure and it has to go somewhere
{Research Flat Earth}

creep doesnt matter
if the mag was properly designed to begin with even at max creep it should still function.

Clarification: Yes there will be some wear due to compression. If the magazine was designed to deal with this you are fine; otherwise you will see weak spring issues from being loaded and stored for long periods of time.

Creep is real but unless your mag is some cheap homemade piece of shit with cast springs (yes, these exist) it will not show any effect on performance over decades of use. Dynamic loading or oxidation- depending on the material- will ruin your springs far sooner, and the dynamic loading will take hundreds of thousands of compression cycles to have any visible effect unless the spring is rattling around in the tube.

t. Mechanical engineer. I've worked on OEM mags for Glock and Sig.

Spring faggot kind of different

ar15.com/forums/industry/-/124-271107/?

>There is a common misconception that the dust/impact cover supplied with most PMAG products is in some way required to prevent feed lip creep or spread over time. This is not the case. When initially loaded, the PMAG GEN M3, and all PMAGs in the current lineup, exhibit a tiny normalization of feed lip geometry within a very small window of time measured in days, and then this geometry then remains stable over many years, heat cycles, cooling cycles, and outdoor UV and weather exposure. We routinely load magazines and place them into stable indoor, hot, cold, and outdoor exposure storage to monitor various batches of material. These magazines are occasionally function tested and reloaded with no issues.
As implied by the name, the dust and impact cover is indeed designed to keep debris out of magazines during storage, and to provide an extra measure of feed lip protection for magazines in storage, such as stuffed in an ammo can in a tactical vehicle used in off road operations, or for aerial delivery, kicking containers of loaded mags off of moving vehicles, and the like. This ensures that magazines that may normally be out of sight, not maintained, or subjected to delivery handling that is many, many times the normal testing and usage criteria will perform flawlessly after a quick flick to remove the cover.

2019: The Summer of Endless Faggotry

You know there's a visual effect after not even a hundred cycles, right? Yeah you're tooootally an engineer bro.

Thank God you posted this, we haven't talked it about yet today

You should if you're going to be storing the car for a while, but that has more to do with tires and bushing than springs. Automotive springs are overbuilt af desu, and most firearm springs are the same.

PLEASE go back and stay back
You know EXACTLY what I'm referring to

>implying ‘visual effect’ = creep
>after not even a hundred cycles
t. combat virgin civiecuck

I think of it as a form of schizoid collective memory...

Tell that to my oldest PMAG, little shit split just last month after being kept loaded for a long while.

We were talking about dynamic loading. Please pay attention next time.

Springs are like light bulb filaments, it's not use that wears them out it's changing between being used and not. A compressed spring will last years, a spring that's compressed and uncompressed day after day will only last a few months to a year.

t. has no understanding of how a filament works

Store them loaded so they're ready when you need them.
>SPRINGS WILL WEAR OUT
They're like $10-20. Just buy new ones every few years. Or if you dont wanna do that just leave them on the shelf at the store, this way they'll be super fresh when you want to use them AND be at the most inconvenient place possible when you need them.

Retards. Learn about springs and metallurgy before discussing topics you obviously know nothing about.

According to this guys test, there is a slight bit of compression over time, but not enough to significantly affect performance of the magazine.

youtu.be/AVC-83QW5L4

Attached: 1290120502215.jpg (461x350, 19K)

No

>Should I stow my magazines full or empty? Will bullets in the magazine eventually ruin the spring? Thanks in advance.
I don't know if you, personally, should keep your mags loaded, but I keep all of mine loaded.

The spring tension thing is fuddlore.

Thermal expansion and contraction is what wears a filament out.

Not all of us are on Jow Forums daily, guy

A more apt comparison is if you keep your suspension near bottomed out constantly. Which you don't. And if you did, you'd see your ride height lower as time went on. Storing magazines loaded will decrease lifespan, but generally it's not something to worry about. If you can't afford to rotate in a few new carry mags every few years (and designate old ones as range mags), you probably can't be or afford to be that avid of a shooter.

I'm curious as well. Are you conserving a difference between the compression springs in the shocks of a car and the compression springs in the case of a magazine?

There does not a exist a difference in kind there, only in magnitude: Your car springs are not loaded any different than your magazine springs, and not any less unloaded when rounds are removed as when weight is lifted from your vehicle or the wheel is displaced in the suspension.

Is there something you think these anons might have missed? I could check my reference books and see if they say anything about springs acting strangely based on magnitude.

Your magazine is not "bottomed out"; It's designed to ride between empty and full. That's the whole reason the follower doesn't let you "get one more round" in there against the spring.

Once you've broken in the mag, you're not going to get a significant amount of extra creep in a well designed platform. Eventually the springs will fail or degrade, but not any faster kept empty or kept full: The majority of the wear is going to be in load cycling.

You're doing great things for our nation, sir.

ONLY PLASTIC DEFORMATION AND FATIGUE WILL KILL YOUR SPRING, CREEP HAPPENS BUT NOT SIGNIFICANTLY ENOUGH TO MATTER

t MATERIALS ENGINEER

>stow my magazines
in the upright and locked position, pleb

>are PSAK's good?
>can I store mags full?
>russian spec ops are better than US
fucking summer