What would be a better material for a sword?

What would be a better material for a sword?
>Tungsten
>Titanium
>Carbon Steel
>Depleted Uranium

Attached: Pokey stabby cutty boi.png (250x347, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

steelforge.com/raw-materials/titanium-forgings/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

steel
everything else is either the wrong hardness or too hard to work with

Lets say that they could be made easier to work with. Folded twenty times and tempered in oil, what would be a superior metal?

Depleted uranium-titanium-steel alloy with a tungsten carbide pommel for stabbing or finishing them rightly.

Attached: 8uqqek0ggcx11.jpg (1124x1640, 189K)

titanium cant be forged, high carbon steel is too rigid and hard to sharpen, tungsten is garbage unless you make it a carbide, in which case you cant sharpen it and it will chip and shatter easily not to mention it would be heavy as fuck, DU because its heavy as fuck and sharpening it is going to do bad things.

steel is the best metal for blades because it has a wide range of potential elasticity and hardness, and it doesnt weigh too much or too little, and its easy as fuck to work with.

all the metals you suggested are either shit to work with, too rigid, or way too heavy, or are fucking uranium

What would be a good, exotic metal to work with that would be better than Steel at least in some regard?

if you weren't limited by forging properties.

>European style in one piece titanium or zebra tugnsten
>Katana with tungsten edge and titanium core.

you don't need depleted uranium, it would just make it unnecessarily heavy. lead is good enough for that part.

carbon steel is inferior to titanium and tungsten carbide for improved properties, though you might use this if you used a soshu kitae or the like.

Attached: jap_sword_x-section_types.gif (486x790, 111K)

there are one piece blades used in competitive sports in titanium. this is because it doesn't spawl dangerously (spawling is the chipping).

DU sword would be neato.

Attached: hitler3.jpg (503x709, 128K)

Osmium. The incredible denisty allows You to outmatch any lighter material, and I am talking literally "cutting tank barrel in half" levels of overpowered

Gundamium Alloy

It's still going to be steel.

Swords are made of steel because Steel is the right combination of resillient and hard to endure the stresses of a blade.

Titanium is too light, gaining no advantage in any design that's not an ultra-thin rapier.

Tungsten is too hard; Better for tipping projectiles and pointing spears.

DU is too soft; better for bullets and cannons where its self sharpening and pyrophoric qualities make it a deadly projectile.

To improve a modern sword, you want cladding: Hard blade, soft spine: A modern, scientifically-based adaptation of Japanese techniques to turn shitty steel good could make great steel perfect.

But the blade would still be mostly steel by volume.

titanium would work in a European style blade solo, the size and weight of the sword has almost no effectiveness as a good swordsmen is able to utilize the force of kinetics better than the weight. even then it would allow you to beef the sword giving it even greater strength. to put this even more to the point, in the later periods they were constantly looking for ways to decrease the weight rather than add to it.

the broad sword is love because it is a stiff sword not because of the weight, that would be a cutlass which uses leverage of the heavy blade to chop rather than slice or pierce, unlike an arming sword.

I gotcha.Isn't that in record players?

chinesium

Attached: gyncw77v41r21.jpg (320x400, 13K)

>brittle as fuck
>goes to chop
>now has two halves of a very heavy sword.
>tries to pierce
>now has chards of osmium in your eye.
>dies of heavy metal poisoning

You haven't even the slightest idea what the fuck you're talking about.

the use them in the medieval fighting leagues (jousting tournaments).

>Tungsten
Is so brittle that it won't survive the first contact with another blade. Trust me, before we got married I had the idea to get wedding bands made from tungsten since I really liked the symbolism of something thats so tough that it's able to defeat even modern layered armor. Looked through lots of forums and found out that people accidentially dropped their rings onto tiles and they shattered into dozens of pieces. Same would happen to a tungsten blade
>Titanium
Hard to deal with for forging. Lighter than steel. Otherwise I see no real problem other than the reduced weight would mean less force when swinging the blade
>Carbon steel
Ain't that the usual choice for serious swords?
>Depleted Uranium
Would be very heavy. Also I dont know if I wanted to swing a blade thats slightly radioactive

uranium
>gets heavy metal poisoning from touching it

what about a katana with a tungsten carbide blade, titanium core, carbon steel filler, and a uranium edge, like 60 atoms thick?

>A modern, scientifically-based adaptation of Japanese techniques to turn shitty steel good could make great steel perfect.

thats been done in spain for centuries man. look for damascus steel works on Toledos Armories.

The so famous japanese technique was used on the early iron age on eurpe. The asian dont know to work the metal as we do here.

pd: a basque.

the Japanese were working shit steel into a suable sword, the same basic problem you have with exotic materials.

the European method uses a mix of high-quality refined steel and form to make up for any lack in quality. the channel/fluting in these swords is what gives them their strength. the other half comes from tempering or in some cases annealing.

the katana is quench hardened but not tempered. this variable hardening was achieve by clay.

Funny story, Tungsten wedding bands are semi-popular among fabricators, since you can get them with internal scoring so they shatter if they get caught on/in something. Kinda like a better looking version of the silicon bands.

You do know that they have been using monosteel in China, Korea, India and Southeast Asia for thousands of years.
Even Glorious Nippon heavily prizes monosteel despite its 'lack' of hamon.

>the just like the high quality metal, so they can make 50 swords out of it.

Sounds reasonable to me. Would honestly suck imho not being able to wear my wedding band alldayerryday.
But I guess for everyday activities, especially DIY and shooting, tungsten bands would've been the wrong choice for us. We settled with titanium and I see how many dents and scratches mine already has after six years - I reckon I would have managed to kill a tungsten one

>the process the Japanese used is essentially meaningless with modern steel.

The Japanese had bloomery steel which was not much different from other parts of the world. They had poor sources of iron, but once its processed the source isn't very important. All of this is before the sword forging process even begins.

they could but it was very expensive for the Japanese to do this, other parts of the would could more easily get quality iron from alternate sources to use, this was not true for the Japanese who would import large quantities of iron up until it became an empire.

again they had quality steel but to save and make quality sword they came up with a unique forging method that utilized the metals natural property allowing low quality swords to have an effectiveness while maximizing on iron usage. this is why a lot of their tools also use the same method they were reserving the quality Chinese iron for the more important parts.

the European tools used the tempering and annealing process for the same reason.

it boils down to two elegant solutions to a simple problem: stronger swords

the katana maximizes on inelastic and elastic properties of each steel.

European maximizes on on the elasticity and in-elasticity of the form of the blade allowing a uniform elastic material to be used.

>We're awesome because forge welding
>Asia sucks because forge welding

Attached: Sword threads.png (283x19, 1K)

All of these are bad options. The harder a material is the more brittle it is. On top of that a sword that is unable to bend a little bit is going to send the full force of whatever you're hitting it with right up your arms.

>A modern, scientifically-based adaptation of Japanese techniques
HAHAHAHAH literally dark ages in Europe. To think there is some magic there that beats the European sword cutlers of the 18/19/20th century tells me you know absolutely nada about swords steel or fuck all. Why have a razor sharp easily bent lump of crap when you can have a razor sharp spring? Welcome to Europe weeb

>the katana maximizes on inelastic and elastic properties of each steel.

The katana ahem, was so [rone to bending the japs had to stop and unbend it over their knees. You won't have that problem with a European sword (and it will be just as fucking sharp, hold an edge better have harmonic percussion and .be less prone to chipping bending and shattering). Just stop.

Steel
-easy to forge
-easy to sharpen
-cheap
>high carbon steel is too rigid and hard to sharpen,
Nah. Again, you shouldn't sharpen it as a razor sharp. About the same angle as the axes are sharpened.

>All of these are bad options. The harder a material is the more brittle it is.

Sure a car suspension leaf spring is prattle. O wait. Its not a piece of crap made from inferior iron dredged from jap river sand and soft as fuck with a hard edge. Its a spring. Like you know a 1796 LC sabre.

>all this shit tier memeage about "modern" updates to ancient technology

The debate ended in the early 00s. Where my L6 bainite niggas at?

Attached: paul chen l6.jpg (1300x620, 107K)

My entire point is that steel is a good option while things like tungsten or uranium are not.

The Japanese did import iron, though that was mostly in the later period. The vast majority of their stuff was native made, they had not shortage of iron sand as far as a preindustrial society goes.

It was not to save on steel, wrapping a hard steel skin over a softer core results in a better sword, depending on the method you are using, I there are ways around this.

Japan is hardly the only nation that used a method similar to this, similar methods were used all over the world.

>titanium can’t be forged
Hahahahaha

steelforge.com/raw-materials/titanium-forgings/

AHAHAHAHA

fucking retard

>What would be a better material for a sword?

Smelly blue cheese
Woven pubic hair
Sculpted faeces

> that is why the fucker is thick

the closest 1:1 European to katana is actually the cutlass, not the arming sword

>Depleted Uranium

It already exist and if I recall correctly they are better than carbon steel. Depleted Uranium as in "a small porcentage of it"

Is this a haiku?

differential tempering in katanaas is a meme. You are making the back of the blade soft, reducing durability because some sort of magical believe. Coldsteel made a monotempered katana and BTFO'D every weeb.

Guess what those swords are specifically designed to not do.

>You won't have that problem with a European sword
Before the 17th century there's a high chance that you actually would. Iron core swords a step below all steel construction were not at all uncommon.

Still spring steel, tungsten is heavier, rare, brittle but extremely hard which complicates working, and has an exceedingly high melting point again making it significantly more difficult to work, you need a forge that exceeds 3000C to get it soft and workable. Titanium is significantly lighter than steel but again harder to work and with a significantly higher working temperature, your blade will come out abnormally light. High carbon homogeneously tempered spring steel is currently the standard for sword metal and performs excellently in that role. Depleted uranium is exceedingly heavy and a blade made of it would be exhausting to wield, it's also soft which means it can't hold an edge well, and while it isn't radioactive to the same degree as normal uranium it's still poisonous and thus the basic tasks of grinding and sharpening the blade would be hazardous to your health as constant exposure to the powder would be inevitable. What you could do is alloy high carbon steel with a small percentage of tungsten, aluminum, and nickle, it's properties will improve and assuming you get the mix right its weight will either not change much or be slightly reduced compared to normal steel, however this will also increase the difficulty in forging and working the metal and probably can't be done outside of an exactingly controlled environment, making the blade's cost undesirably high.

gallium

Young and ingorant.
The fool shares his dumb questions
On the internet

>imagine being on an island where folding the metal and sprinkling with carbon rich material was your only method of controlling the chemical content, because your metal is shit

>depleted uranium sword
>200lbs
>can barely lift it
>completely blunt, but that's okay
>swing it at enemy
>throw your back out instantly
>you're now crippled for life
>sword hits enemy
>no cutting involved, just a 200lb stick smacking them
>massive blunt injury, their body is visibly dented where the sword hit
>every bone within a foot of the impact is shattered, internal bleeding kills in seconds

Attached: 1539174703096.png (538x676, 159K)

IKR, Britain a shit.

Tungsten would be even worse.