What’s better; longsword or katana?

What’s better; longsword or katana?

Attached: DFE86F6C-0BEA-4426-AB11-4766CCE01372.jpg (1280x720, 73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

swordstem.com/2019/04/17/is-going-for-deep-targets-worth-it-and-more-longpoint-stats-review/
youtube.com/watch?v=fhVTV_txGFY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>This thread again
>Phoneposter
Longsword all day but this is a stupid comparison.

Attached: simon-rolls-eyes.jpg (300x300, 14K)

Assuming everything else is equal I'd give advantage to the longsword because of its hand protection and length. In real life though it's going to matter a lot more who's trained harder and also sometimes just dumb luck. The swordsmanship equivalent of punchers chance except way worse because a single stroke might get you killed.

>cutting down unarmed peasants
Katana.

>fighting against someone who is armed and/or armored
Longsword.

Better at what exactly?

Attached: cerastes-me-swings-kaatana-in-just-the-slightest-wrong-way-11827662.png (500x686, 148K)

Being fanwank material for whatever dumbass -boos the pendulum of faggotry is currently leaning towards, and right now that's Westaboos.

You only get the chance to "end him rightly" with a longsword.

All swords are shit for fighting someone in armor

>because of its hand protection
I didn't get hit more on the hands in kendo than in HEMA. I think it was outright the opposite even. Though in both cases it's just the odd accidental hit really, actually aimed attacks against the hands are a rare thing.
Now this was mostly with a basic crossguard on the longsword, if we very specifically go for one with side rings then things improve to the point where it should give a bit better protection. Those are far from standard though.

You'll find some meant for the battlefield where having to deal with a well armoured enemy is to be expected, and you'll find some meant for civilian daily carry where the most armour you can expect is accidentally hitting someone's coin pouch. And that goes for both katana and longsword.

They're both better than the other at different things
Katana are better at cutting, have a better grip, and are easier to maintain proper edge alignment with
Euro swords tend to be longer, are generally better at thrusting, and almost always have better guards

>what is halfswording

Something that isn't as good as using a weapon made for the task

A misleading wrong translation?

Tuck and plate

Attached: ep36v2.jpg (450x600, 186K)

>aimed attacks against the hands are a rare thing

lol wut? Laming wounds are some of the safest and most successful attacks in HEMA. I can't find it but there's a graph showing the number of successful hits without doubles or after blows
It found that hand hits were most safe followed by head shots. The least safe were chest shots.

Sidesword/war rapier

Attached: 16th cSidesword and dagger sharpDAST28 (1).jpg (1400x788, 177K)

Unironically katana. Come at me hemaboo cucks

>Length of an arming sword
>One edge
>Ductile
>Made for jap manlets
>Can't do shit against non-defenseless peasants and asianiggers with actual shields and plate armor

Attached: 1548453289338.jpg (534x800, 56K)

The german war messer is even more katana-like than the longsword and it has a cross-guard and a nagel too.

Attached: Long_Knife_Vienna.jpg (500x667, 315K)

The swiss had the same idea.

Attached: A489_Wallace_Collection_-_original_large.jpg (480x300, 10K)

A longsword can't do shit against plate armor either, retard. Just stop posting

Longswords were made for plate armor you literal retard

Attached: nigger.jpg (254x198, 12K)

Always seemed to em that the wrist was a better target, easier to hit as you're now just looking to intersect two lines rather than a line and a somewhat obese point (the slight reduction in speed shouldn't matter, right?) Meanwhile we keep our distance and thus the ease of not getting punished much the same as with the hand. Where perhaps wrists and hands counted as one here? Then again, if it turns out I really do have hard statistics against me here then,w ell, it hardly hurts the point I was making about the longsword not being a marvel of hand protection. Sure, the crossguard sticks out more along its line, but when we shift the view away from a pure profile...

Attached: 20190209_111254.jpg (582x1282, 143K)

Japanese swords were made for horsemen to fight other horsemen who would be equipped with O-yoroi. So in that regard, japanese swords were also made with heavy and plate armor in mind.

These were made for plate armor. Longswords were made for armored knights to fight far less well armored soldiers.

Attached: pole-axe-with-wooden-shaft-circa-1475-length-approx.-152cm-head-approx.-18.5cm-weight-2.2kg-30533-p. (428x600, 50K)

Japanese sword is a wide term, katana is a specific one. O-yoroi are compacted rice and bamboo pieces of shit compared to steel plate armor as well.

>41547263
a long katana sword

The idea of using a supporting hand to aim a thrust into a gap in the armour (say, between breastplate and spaulder there) isn't something unknown to the Japanese. They were fond enough of it that such techniques made it through both "civilianisation" in the Edo period and more modern sporterization to end up in modern day ZNKR iaido kata.

Considering that the O-yoroi predates the european steel plate armor by five centuries, it's no wonder that it's generally inferior. Also, don't announce yourself so much as an ignorant retard that still believes that bushi were using wooden armor.

Also, no katana isn't really a specific term. It's just a general term for sword.

No, they werent. Poking at chinks in armor is something that the katana can do just as easily as the longsword. Neither of them can go through quality plate armor. No sword is effective against full plate, they are weapons to be used against lightly armored opponents/peasants, which is exactly who most of the samurai and Knights did their fighting against. When they went up against other heavily armored enemies both of them used spears and blunt weapons.

Japanese were also using their pommel-cap to smash their opponent in the face or solar plexus you know...

Or they just wrestled the fucker and stabbed him with a knife through the gaps

What type of longsword?

Generally I'd consider wrists as part of the hand too. Forearm shots were in the graph somewhere too as were leg shots. Leg shots had a high rate of success too but they attributed that to leg shots being uncommon and unexpected. I'll try and find the article, it was posted in my HEMA clubs facebook page awhile back.

I'd also like to mention that I disagree with your point about hand shots being unintentional we practice cutting to the hands specifically often enough especially with things like krumphau.

>Also, no katana isn't really a specific term. It's just a general term for sword.
Even in Japanese that's rather context dependent. In daily speech it probably can be, somewhat, but then again in daily speech any video game system would be a Nintendo (well, maybe not nowadays, but back in the NES era, replace with whatever example you prefer here really). Though even here I wonder if ken and to wouldn't be the more generally used general terms. I might get back to you on that.
When we're looking at things more specifically though the term becomes a lot more specific, even in Japanese. Groups like the NTHK and NBTHK (ie the main sword-fondlers of Japan) most certainly treat katana as a specific term, and this is also how you'll find things laid out in Japanese literature on the subject (Nagayama, Sato, etc).
That we're using English here instead of Japanese simplifies things though, there's nothing general about katana here. It's been loaned in to be a specific term, while "sword" covers the general.

Attached: NTHK papers.jpg (773x1000, 144K)

Neither are the best choice on the battlefield of the day but I'd take the longsword any day over the katana.
>More reach
>Better thrusting
>Can be use with a greater degree of effectiveness vs heavily armoured opponents

Found it. Correction for myself though, they included the whole arm along with hands in the count.

swordstem.com/2019/04/17/is-going-for-deep-targets-worth-it-and-more-longpoint-stats-review/

Wasnt it often that melwe fighters started with spear then proceeded to shield and sword, axe or mace(possibly even two of these weapons were with them and then last defense was knife.

>I might get back to you on that.
Please do, I would genuinely be interested to know more.

I guess I'll survive the statistics then, but I'm prepared to cede basically all of it to your experience anyway. It was a good while since I was doing this, and it isn't like what I was actually talking about suffers anyway, this might even help there.

Attached: nonono.jpg (900x600, 112K)

bastard sword

Based

I wanna get a good sword that can cut and be used practically.
What’s a good price point to go for, so I don’t get junk.
Thanks in advance swordautists

Attached: F7B11139-D52A-42AE-AC9E-BF6BD411EF5C.jpg (1075x800, 177K)

Get axe

Why are sword tips sharp if they aren't meant for stabbing? They can be multi-purpose and there are plenty of manuscripts on halfswording against plate armor. Also I'd obviously use my choppy boi til the hache breaks.

Get an axe so you don't look like a faggot larper. The axe can actually be used as a tool. No one would look twice or think it's weird. It takes strength to use. swords are for larping söyboys

Turns out it's rather late in Tokyo at the moment, but hopefully I have an answer waiting for me when it's morning here in Europe. If we're lucky it'll even be one more helpful than "dunno".

You should probably expect to spend at least 250-300 EUR to avoid the worst. Though with "practical use" your biggest issue may be finding a practical use to put the sword to nowadays.

Attached: bk2.jpg (960x720, 138K)

Can we make kommando to free holy land from sarasens with asword?
Wouldn't be most retarded thing to happen here.

>Turns out it's rather late in Tokyo at the moment, but hopefully I have an answer waiting for me when it's morning here in Europe. If we're lucky it'll even be one more helpful than "dunno".
KM you're simply routinely awesome... or at the very least promising.

>Wouldn't be most retarded thing to happen here.
Considering the aftermath of the Iraq invasion of 2003 yeah it probably would be one of the most retarded thing to plan.

The chinks in armor were the ones wielding the katana, not the ones getting poked. That was the peasants.

This.
Or suit sword/main gauche. Or suit sword+buckler. Or dagger with buckler.

heh. Nothin personnel, KID

Attached: pancc1.jpg (350x467, 64K)

R1 R1R1R1R1R1R1R1R1R1

While there was little but peasant uprisings to fight in the Edo period, the katana spent a few centuries fighting in regular battles between proper armies as well as skirmishes between groups of samurai and equivalents before that (it also started out amongst the lowest ranks and slowly made its way upwards). Rather like in Europe your basic, poorly equipped peasant seldom had much to do with actively fighting wars on account of not really being able to contribute much at all there. Though before the establishment of the Japanese caste system we do find the boundary between peasant and samurai could be very fuzzy at times. The samurai largely originate with the overseers of the nobility's countryside holdings, and in some cases well of peasants would match those in both training and equipment (while they would have to match him in farming know-how, as there probably wouldn't have been enough bandits around to keep them occupied all the time). Having strict definitions of the castes in Japan was in itself something that only turned up right before the Edo period (at which point your basic katana-packing footslogger, the ashigaru, did end up with the samurai in the bushi category)

Attached: 575334852397445312.jpg (628x422, 60K)

For all around utility as a weapon? Longsword, design is less prone to mechanical failure under extreme stress, has two equally functional cutting edges and is symmetrical so the weapon can be used with either edge if one is damaged, has a full sized guard, and on average will have longer reach.

Fucking Zweihänder fags

Halfswording is retarded and you can tell it's a bad idea immediately upon holding a real sword that way

It's the ultimate historical combat meme

I will always prefer a curved blade
circle jerk, daitou being curved like a erect penis

I don't even know if I'd consider that thing a sword

That dudes hips and legs are more feminine than they should be

Pretty sure Japanese armor was lacquered which made it almost as tough as steel plate

>It takes strength to use.
>According to the video games that taught me about weapons

When it's as strong as iron and steel it's not primarily due to the lacquer, but rather due to being made or iron or steel. The other thing you can find under the lacquer is heavy rawhide, which would be somewhat lighter in both weight and protection. Basically any given piece of lacquered armour could be either, and they would also happily mix the two in a single piece to obtain the best compromise between overall weight and protection.
youtube.com/watch?v=fhVTV_txGFY

Attached: kogake01.jpg (800x633, 72K)

According to the axe I own and have chopped a lot of wood with.

It's funny to me that you thought this would be an improvement.

Do you run away from fights early on too?

Attached: heihachi.png (1440x1080, 1.21M)

Wood is sturdy, people are fragile. So you'll need to hit the wood quite a bit harder, chopping firewood you probably have a lot more pieces of wood to split than you're likely to have people to kill in a fight, and on top of that battle axes tend to be somewhat dainty affairs compared to tool axes (especially if we compare to wood axes for splitting wood) since once again wood is sturdy and people are fragile.
Of course, this isn't to say that strength is irrelevant in a fight. Being strong is always an advantage, but that's the case regardless of the weapon. It's even the case, or perhaps rather especially the case, if we fight unarmed.

Attached: type m axe from johnsson II.jpg (640x479, 39K)

>t. has never tried half-swording irl

You can actually hit pretty hard since most weight is in the handle-guard. Your balance point becomes that of an axe. Also it's pretty fun to swing a sword that way.

>half-swording
>swing a sword
Pretty sure you're talking about mordhau, halfswording is specifically a thrusting technique.

tht shit is basically a fancier spear at this point

~$1000USD is the general starting point for "good" modern reproduction swords. Stuff in the $500 and under point is typically made in India, China, or Afghanistan and the heat treat is often suspect. You can get deals from time to time on sites like KoA. I'd recommend starting with something used, or stage combat rated for taking abuse and off line swings while you train. As you get experience you'll know what fits your style.